Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. The Whole Sort of General Mish-Mash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:45 am
It's the half-term holiday. I should now have time to go on Sims more often and post updates more frequently, but RPGs don't finish themselves, you know.

The only things I really have to say are:

Medwin's died, and the remainder of the family moved back to 3 Sim Lane's Doppelganger. (No pictures)

The Dickinson twins grew up to childhood, and are no longer identical. Sort of. I still have no idea which one's which.

Can You Tell Them Apart?

And also,

What Kind of a Poker Face is That?!

There'll most likely be lots of updates from the Dickinson household in the neat future. Cathy's meant to be the middle child, and, well, she isn't.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:30 am
The real question is: Can the twins tell each other apart? Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:06 pm
I'm not sure about then, but they can now.

Seriously Out of Character

Red? Spikey-ness? On a prudish Knowledge Sim? You've got to be kidding me. I think it's Melissa. If not, it's Melanie. The other one was forced to choose Romance, because a) there hasn't been a Sim with that aspiration since Jan Tellerman got attacked with the Renu-Yu-Washing-Machine, and b) Pleasure Sims seem to be incredibly childish.

A Quick Change of Clothing Later

It'll have to do. Until there's a lab coat in the wardrobe.

On a side note: Cathy's roughly the age she should be now. Nearly ready to install the SyncTimers in the town.

On another side note: Which GregDay was Barry concieved?
I think I can work out some complicated system of "What GregDay Enderby would be at if it were part of Happy Valley." Some early chapter of the original HHGE was set on that day. Then, by adding (3+4+8+15+24+3+3+4+2) to it, it results in some rough estimate. Which, looking at it, places at least a quarter of Tales of Happy Valley at the point where they've not actually happened yet... You know what? Forget I ever asked that question.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:46 pm
It says here in Barry's birth announcement that he was born at 7:00 PM on GD 77, so just back up 75 hours from there and you can figure he was conceived in the afternoon on GD 74.

Anyhow, you're right. There's no way to resolve all the inconsistencies so Enderby must be in another one of those universes right around the corner. Or else the Bennetts are just living a second life in some city down the road.

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:56 am
Greg wrote:
...you can figure Barry was conceived in the afternoon on GD 74.

Adding those numbers in, that comes to 140. Most recent GregDay I can find mentioned is 134. Six days out. Meh. (Or I've overlooked something.)

Greg also wrote:
Or else the Bennetts are just living a second life in some city down the road.

What about Bonnyview? That's down the road from Happy Valley, is it not? Or does that count as part of the same life?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:49 pm
Nihale199 wrote:
Greg wrote:
...you can figure Barry was conceived in the afternoon on GD 74.

Adding those numbers in, that comes to 140. Most recent GregDay I can find mentioned is 134. Six days out. Meh. (Or I've overlooked something.)

As a matter of fact, in my game, it is exactly GD 140 in Happy Valley and has been for quite some time; however the timeline for the story might be a bit skewed.

According to my notes, baby Irvin was born at 5:37 AM on GD 135. That's in the game. There could be a disconnect with the story because I'm not trying to maintain time sync among all the households and universes in the game.

The story is lagging a bit. We had to take some time out from the shooting schedule because the stunt coordinator and the script girl had to get married, y'see.

At this point in the Tales of Happy Valley, Chapter 269, Narcissa has just failed in her first attempt to wreck Boveena Bridge.

Meanwhile, Sheba is off in a whole 'nother universe, enjoying a visit with Her husband and Her new-found wives in Baumdoubt Valley. The latest development there was that Sheba was making up a story about Xanadu to entertain Meadow while they were all cuddling on the love seat in the jammies. (Baumdoubt Valley, Chapter 14.)

In parallel with that, some time around GD 136 in Happy Valley, Greg is left to take care of baby Irvin and his older brothers, Sheba's Hiram and Monica's Norman, with assistance from both Monica and Dallas's Happy Valley personna.

Dallas and Greg, sole survivors of The Bomb, are the same people in both Happy Valley and Baumdoubt Valley. They don't travel between universes. Instead they live in both universes at the same time. This phenomenon is not without its effect on their minds. It also leaves Dallas's status in Happy Valley undefined because she's married to Greg in Baumdoubt Valley, but Greg is a strictly monogamous relationship with Sheba in Happy Valley.

So, what does all this have to do with Enderby? Is Enderby a whole different universe?

Is Happy Valley just a story that the Enderby Bennetts tell to each other late at night, just as the Happy Valley Bennetts used to tell stories of Baumdoubt Valley?

Is it another chapter in their lives, perhaps something that happened in the same universe but long after they'd done whatever it is they're doing in Happy Valley? We've already established they they don't age and they don't die, so what do old-but-young superheroes do after they've saved two (or three, or four) universes?

Or maybe it's in the same universe, but a place they visit when they're on vacation from their adventures in Happy Valley. That wouldn't fit because Sheba wouldn't be leaving her children for that long and couldn't be baking babies in two different cities in parallel.

In any case, time is a slippery concept in The Sims. Multiple generations can come and go in one household while the folks next door are stuck in a Maxian time warp. Sometimes the characters use this to their advantage, as Gloria did by waiting in a time warp for Barry to grow up and marry her. Other times it causes some strange surprises, such as Monica's baby bomb.

Are you adequately confused now? smile

Nihale199 wrote:
Greg also wrote:
Or else the Bennetts are just living a second life in some city down the road.

What about Bonnyview? That's down the road from Happy Valley, is it not? Or does that count as part of the same life?

Yes, the Bennetts own a house in Bonnyview Shores, and they're the same Bennetts who live in Happy Valley. They're consistent with the family in Happy Valley. They haven't produced any new progeny there but some of their children visit their home-away-from home quite often.

Bonnyview Shores is the first city northwest of Happy Valley. I put that map in Chapter 239 of the Tales of Happy Valley.

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:09 pm
Greg wrote:
Are you adequately confused now?

My brain hurts. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked that question.

The only explanation which makes sense to me is... that "Sliding Doors" film. I just can't really put it into words. Let me think...

Let's imagine that Happy Valley is what has happened. Denizens there think that Enderby is what could have happened.

On the other hand, the people in Enderby might think that Happy Valley might be a "what could have been."

I'm even more confused now, but at least I know what I mean.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:56 pm
That's why I play with aging ON Greg! At least the parents have some hope their kids will outlive them then razz
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:49 pm
Nihale199 wrote:
...Let's imagine that Happy Valley is what has happened. Denizens there think that Enderby is what could have happened.

On the other hand, the people in Enderby might think that Happy Valley might be a "what could have been."

I'm even more confused now, but at least I know what I mean.

I think I know what you mean. Larry Niven started it all, I think, with his novel, All The Myriad Ways. The notion is that everything that can happened does happen, and each time it happens a new parallel universe is created.

Robert A. Heinlein took Niven's idea much farther and handled it much better in his novel, Number of the Beast. In Heinlein's novel the parallel universes are other people's fictional stories. The main characters ended up traveling through the universes, visiting places where Mars is inhabitable and even going on to Lilliput and Oz.

This really doesn't work as the background for a science fiction story, though, especially not if you're trying to writing many stories in a consistent universe as Heinlein did. He even added time travel to the mix so that characters could go back in time and change what happened.

He ended up writing himself into a corner where it didn't really matter what happened because no matter what happened, it didn't happen somewhere else, and the characters could just go there. In his last few novels his characters' main motivation was protecting a few of their favorite timelines while the opposition (who never appeared on screen) spent their time trying to mess them all, all for no adequately explained reason.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:52 pm
Sita wrote:
That's why I play with aging ON Greg! At least the parents have some hope their kids will outlive them then razz

What? And let my favorite sims die? shocked

I think there's my problem. I don't want my favorite sims to die, and if they're not my favorites I don't play them so that they don't age. Consequently, no sim in my game has ever lived out his allocated life span.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:24 pm
/me shakes head sadly.

No Death and no NightLife? Your poor deprived Simmies. Mine live hard and fast, and many die young smile hiding
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:27 pm
Even with aging on, Elixir is reasonably priced... *8)
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:57 pm
yes, and most of my Sims use it. So all my Sims (at least the ones I like Devilishly Wicked Evil Grin ) live longer than the game basic - but sometimes not much longer.
My answer
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:18 am
This is why my Sims live limited lives, Greg. It was one thing that really irked me about Sims 1 - I remember being mystified and then completely delighted when Cornelia Goth (who I played with a LOT) finally died of old age! (in the household where she was then, the third I had played that incarnation of her, she had lived over 100 days, and she simply dropped dead in the garden.)

Quote:
Ah, fill the cup: - what boots it to repeat
How Time is slipping underneath our feet:
Unborn To-morrow and dead Yesterday,
Why fret about them if To-Day be sweet?

Another said - "Why, ne'er a peevish Boy,
Would break the Bowl from which he drank in Joy;
Shall He that made the vessel in pure Love,
And Fancy, in an after Rage destroy?

Lo, some we loved, the loveliest and best
That Time and Fate of all their Vintage prest,
Have drunk their Cup a Round or two before,
And one by one crept silently to Rest.

Omar al-Khayyam
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:49 am
Sita wrote:
... Omar al-Khayyam

See? That's why I keep saying that The Sims 2 is a toy rather than a game. You can play with it in whatever way you want! smile

There might be something that EA could learn from this. When they work on features that enhance the toy, they do well. When they try to make it a game that forces the user into a fixed, bounded path, they flub.

The Whole Sort of General Mish-Mash