Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: The Bright Household
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:37 pm
I don't think I've ever tried to start with student with zero skills and only $500 and have him earn his way through college. That would be an interesting challenge.

Usually if I get a college student with zero skills I just give him some skills to start with. I figure someone who reached college age with zero skills would have no chance of getting into college, so that condition doesn't make any sense.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:28 pm
Oh, they have skills... usually almost enough for one scholarship, so if you don't mind them sponging off your real family for a bit, they'll do very well for themselves and their future roommates.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:59 am
Greg wrote:
I don't think I've ever tried to start with student with zero skills and only $500 and have him earn his way through college. That would be an interesting challenge.

It's not all that hard (and can be fun); dorm life is cheap. *8) Suzette Somnius did it as part of the Sleeping Through College Challenge. (And I don't think that dorm had significant leftover funds from previous students or anything, although it had been redecorated a bit.)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:20 pm
Yeah, the best solution might be to have a single playable student living in a dorm with lots and lots of NPC students. Then the costs would be spread out among all the rooms.

You can also cheat like crazy without hitting the motherlode. I've also learned that it's OK to have zero outfitting in the NPC rooms. They don't even need walls between them. In fact, if the dorm is empty your impoverished student gets there first so he could sell all the other furnishings, even wallpaper, and have quite a nice bankroll while at the same time reducing the rent on the dorm. You could conceivably even sell the walls by turning on 'boolprop dormspecifictoolsdisabled false' and build a palace that even the Aardvarkians would envy.

I think the dorm will even be reset when he leaves as long as you don't move in any other playable students. That's cheating, but it's clever cheating!
Grin

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:23 pm
Dorms don't seem to get reset in my game; when I move a new playable student into a previously-occupied dorm from which all the playable students have graduated, they find the place just as it was left, including bought objects and wallpaper and rugs and stuff. And, I'm pretty sure, bank balance.

On the other hand, I can't remember ever having to pay bills on a dorm lot either, so maybe my game's a little odd! *8)
miros1
Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:43 pm
You're both right.

Purchased "stuff" stays behind, but all the students get booted out of their rooms when the last controllable Sim leaves.

I wasn't quite so crass... My Sim just stole the stuff she wanted in her room (second desk, computer, boom box) before the other students arrived.

The bills should come, but if not paid, the repo men will take stuff from the common area, not from locked rooms.

My dorm weirdie: a party guest got trapped in one of the other students' rooms and I had to use the move_objects cheat to get him out!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:33 am
I've run into that same anomaly about bills. I tried an experiment where I used "Send kids to college" to dump all the game-generated teenage guys into a dorm and called them "The Townsmen". They've played for several days now and aced their first finals, and no bills have shown up.

The only oddity other than having an all-townie crew is that I built the dorm in Residential mode and then converted it to a dorm. I'm wondering if that's what triggered the bug.

I'm thinking that if it were intereference from a hack, then I would have seen this anomaly before.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:10 am
The dorms that I fail to get bills in are all standard Maxis SSU dorms (the lots have never been in Residential mode), and the only hacks I have installed these days is No Age Discrimination and/or No Buskers (I actually forget which of those I put back in after upgrading to NL). Which suggests that it's just some random Maxis glitch rather than a cheat or hack interaction (although you never know.)...
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:52 pm
Actually, I think the dorms that DO get bills are the ones that are bugged. You aren't supposed to get bills in dorms. I always use pescado's lot debugger and "kill stuck bills" with it. Personal residences ARE supposed to get bills.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:59 pm
Liss wrote:
Actually, I think the dorms that DO get bills are the ones that are bugged. You aren't supposed to get bills in dorms. I always use pescado's lot debugger and "kill stuck bills" with it. Personal residences ARE supposed to get bills.

*blink* Oh my! I thought dorms were supposed to get bills but that the bills were pro-rated depending on how many playable sims vs. townie students there are.

Free room and board in the dorms sounds like an excellent idea! Erm... assuming there are enough alumni donors to pay the bills, that is. When I was in college in real life, I moved out of the dorm to save money because living in the university dorms was so expensive.

miros1
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:20 pm
Well, when I was in college, board and room were approximately equal to tuition. Of course, I just lived in my parent's house and didn't pay board and room, or much tuition either, thanks to a big scholarship and NY state not considering academic scholarships when determining state aid.

Since then, tuition has increased much much more than board and room!

JMP has a dormbill hack which prevents a Maxis divide by zero bug when there are no dorm room doors in a dorm. I assume this is means the bills are supposed to come to the dorms. I think they always come to my dorms ... but I haven't tried converting a residental lot to a dorm either.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:30 pm
I'll have bills in my dorms the first day or two, and then I won't have another set of bills again. I have yet to create a custom college or even a custom dorm yet. When Laura moved into the dorms there were bills the first day, and then I didn't see any more bills until I had Beverly and Orlando move out into their first house. So I don't know what the deal is. Not that I'm complaining, mind...when is it ever a bad thing to not have bills! Grin As long as the repo man isn't visiting, I'm happy!

miros1
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:55 pm
If you think about it... Each semester is only 72 hours long... That's 3 days. So the whole 8 semesters is only 24 days, or less if you use the college clock. I could very well see only paying the first set of bills and the repo man not showing up til after graduation...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:30 pm
I like to keep track of time by inviting someone over from town. Then I can use Merola's Mind Control Mirror to peek at the visitor's calendar to see what day of the week it is.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:48 am
I'm pretty sure the bills arrive every few days, just after the exams, so that they can be paid out of the new term's grant. I've had one or two houses where bills didn't come - but I think it's more likely one of the Sims is paying the bills and you aren't noticing. I have caught my Dormies - as well as currently uncontrolled playables - doing this. Repo men DO come too.
:story: The Bright Household