Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: The Bright Household
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
:story: The Bright Household
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:59 pm
So has anyone ever played the Maxis-made "Bright Household" at Sim State University? I started it today just on a whim; it's the first time I've actually played a Maxis-made household (not counting the few minutes I spent in Pleasantview the first time I ran the game; but I didn't save, so that never actually happened lol).

It's kinda fun.

The Bright Household
Note that none of them are actually named "Bright". But then these days there aren't any Raptors living in the "Raptor Household" at my SSU either.

Martin and Allegra (in black above) are Freshman Knowledge Sims; Martin's majoring in Math and Allegra in Art. Jane (in the pink top) is a Junior in Physics, and a Family Sim. Allegra starts with a crush on Castor Nova, who lives in one of the Greek Houses (I haven't played a Greek House yet; sounds complicated), and each of them has a friend or two (Martin even has a brother or something elsewhere on campus).

Jane is the first "fat" Sim I've played, and she's awfully cute. Makes all them "fit" female Sims look underfed. *8) Also since she's Family she's a little harder to keep happy than the others; she always wants people rather than just the relentless pursuit of knowledge.

I took the easy way out and let Jane and Martin fall in love (they all start with pretty high relationship scores). Jane also became very close friends with one of her professors, which helped both with her aspiration points (love the Family Sim joke / appreciate / tickle loop) and with her grades.

It was somewhat challenging to start with, because they had little money, needed a few home improvements right away (downstairs shower, smoke alarm), and had no aspiration points and very few skills (Jane in particular, despite being supposedly a Junior to start with, needed to find time for lots and lots of skilling, especially given the lack of thinking caps). But one nice thing about having three students in the house is that there's a big infusion of cash at the end of every semester.

My Brights have just finished their starting years, Allegra is now fully in love with Castor (with a locked want to WooHoo with him as soon as I arrange the beds and she needs the points), and Jane and Martin are thinking about engagement (or at least Jane is, heh heh). The ubiquitous Gina Raptor has been over once; Allegra knew her casually from Gina's college years, and invited her over one evening to chat and help out in the kitchen:

Kitchen Help
It's not every day you have a Celebrity Chef cleaning your counters.

And this professor that no one knew kept coming and ringing the doorbell and then having bad conversations with whoever answered; Allegra finally let loose on him with the nose-twitting thing and the gross-out thing and the tauting and all:

"Get him!"
This will either stop him from coming back, or give Allegra an outlet for her Gothy rage.

So I dunno how much I'll be playing them in the future, but so far I'm enjoying it. It makes me happy to think how many times Jane and Martin have fallen in love in other universes over the years... *8)

Anyone else played these three?

DC

Last edited by dmchess on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Re:The Bright Household
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:56 pm
Hi DC . . . =)

I've never "officially" played any of the Maxian houses on campus.

My SSU campus is nearly full. I have many students that I really NEED to get through school, but then again the only neighborhood I play (Pleasantview) is darn near full too! = O

If memory serves, I took all of the "default" students (even the Maxian ones I didn't like from the student bin) and just placed them into one huge dorm - a huge dorm I never play. I have thought about running that dorm sometime, just sitting back and watching to see if anyone gets kicked out of school. Lol

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:06 pm
Quote:
It's not every day you have a Celebrity Chef cleaning your counters.

I've never tried playing the Maxian households, either. In fact, I mentioned today in another thread that I dropped the 'deleteallcharacters' bomb on Pleasantview and wiped out ALL the Maxian characters.
lol

I'll have to prep another bomb, though, since reinstalling will bring those nasty creatures back.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:12 pm
Silly question... how do you make gloves like Allegra's fingerless gloves?

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:33 pm
Greg wrote:
I've never tried playing the Maxian households, either. In fact, I mentioned today in another thread that I dropped the 'deleteallcharacters' bomb on Pleasantview and wiped out ALL the Maxian characters.
lol

Yep, saw that. I avoid the problems with Pleasantview by never loading that neighborhood. *8) The standard townie characters seem pretty okay (so far I've move-in'd townies Marisa Bendett, Kaylynn Langerak, Benjamin Long, and Brandi LeTourneau, and gownies Taylor whatsisname and Candice Ng, and have quite enjoyed playing all of them); dunno about Don Lothario, the Goths, etc, etc. Sounded like there was annoying amount of pre-built plot in some of those houses (although playing them and making everything come out okay despite the setup might be a fun challenge someday; maybe that's the idea, even...).

DC
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:46 pm
miros1 wrote:
Silly question... how do you make gloves like Allegra's fingerless gloves?

You just ("just") have to find a mesh that includes the hands / fingers. I don't know if all of them do, but if you go into Body Shop and find Allegra's top (it's a standard female adult and YA top; you can't actually see the hands in the thumbnails in Body Shop, but it has elbow-length black gloves and some nice sheer fabric at the neck), that's a good one to start with. If you open the alpha and make it entirely white, you can see just what the mesh covers (from a very quick experiment it looks like it's the whole hand nice and flat, so you could make any sort of tight gloves, fingerless or not, that you wanted to).

Not that I actually know what I'm talking about, *8)
DC

P.S. I actually think of this as Kaylynn's top, since it's the first civilian clothes that she wore in my game. Allegra is amazingly like a younger (and angstier) version of my Kaylynn, in fact; quite confusing sometimes!
miros1
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:50 pm
Sigh, sounds like another project that will just have to wait til I get the game. I'm pretty sure that top isn't in the prerelease BodyShop...

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:58 pm
miros1 wrote:
Sigh, sounds like another project that will just have to wait til I get the game. I'm pretty sure that top isn't in the prerelease BodyShop...

Hm. So the prerelease doesn't include any clothing with gloves? One thing you might try is taking (oh, I dunno) the top with the longest sleeves, paint the entire alpha channel white (and make sure the entire color channel is non-fleshtone), and see what parts of the figure it covers. Maybe some of them include the hands even if they aren't using it.

Again I don't know what I'm talking about *8) but it might be worth a try...
DC
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:30 pm
DC,

Martin's brother lives in the Frat Brothers Household and is a freshman. First thing I did when I played the Brights is to ungoth Allegra. I still have a Bright Household but none of the original Brights remain. I just keep moving in more students after some graduate. They have new bigger house and all the luxuries now from all the students that have lived there before. The last on out will be stinking rich now.

-SCG
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:21 pm
SimCityGallery wrote:
Martin's brother lives in the Frat Brothers Household and is a freshman. First thing I did when I played the Brights is to ungoth Allegra. I still have a Bright Household but none of the original Brights remain. I just keep moving in more students after some graduate. They have new bigger house and all the luxuries now from all the students that have lived there before. The last on out will be stinking rich now.

-SCG

Thanks, SCG! Maybe if I enjoy the Brights enough I'll play some of the other houses as well. Post a picture of your unGothed Allegra for us! *8) Always fun to see what other people do with the same Sims (my usual comment about how clever of Maxis it was to mix standard and custom and random Sims in the game, so we'd have both common stuff to talk about and unique stuff to call our own).

Roughly what you describe with the Bright house I'm doing with the "Raptor" house (so called because Gina was the first to move into it, although it's changed hands twice after that), only I'm doing it just one student at a time (more relaxing for me that way, heh heh). Gina passed it to Taylor who passed it to Candice, and it's getting gradually nicer and better equipped. And the bills don't go up enough to be a problem (at least so far). The only time I've had to worry about bills in college so far was at the end of the Brights' first semester, when I had to sell the stereo to pay them once. (In the dorms at SSU no bills ever seem to come; I'm not sure if they're supposed to or not...)

DC
miros1
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:19 pm
dmchess wrote:
miros1 wrote:

Hm. So the prerelease doesn't include any clothing with gloves? One thing you might try is taking (oh, I dunno) the top with the longest sleeves, paint the entire alpha channel white (and make sure the entire color channel is non-fleshtone), and see what parts of the figure it covers. Maybe some of them include the hands even if they aren't using it.

Again I don't know what I'm talking about *8) but it might be worth a try...
DC

So far the only thing I've found with gloves is the man's trench coat. I was about to try the process you suggest when Body Shop hung up my whole system (gotta have more than 64k on your video card) just before Cold Case started, and I decided to watch tv with my mom instead of monkeying with Sims. I figure worst case, I'll have a bunch of skins and alphas to mess with...

Re::story: The Bright Household
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:29 pm
Double Beds
Allegra and Castor

As prophesied, living arrangements in the Bright house involving the girls in single beds in one bedroom and Martin in a single bed in the other were short-lived. Allegra insisted on a room of her own with a double bed (she may be Knowledge rather than Romance, but she still has these Castor Nova related Wants), and Jane and Martin didn't put up much of an objection.

Allegra invited Castor over immediately to see the new arrangements.

All red and black like.
Goth loves Grunge.

The bed worked Just Fine.

Goofy Purple!
Although Allegra remembers this as her Very First Woohoo, she didn't get the spinning dingus for some reason.

For both purposes.

Awww!
These two seem to be well designed for each other.

A rather mundane pair of updates here, but I'm getting fond of this household, and wanted to Share. *8)

DC
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:37 pm
Double Beds
Jane and Martin

Over on the other side of the house, Jane and Martin were too busy and/or too tired to give their new bed a real workout.

She was asleep by the time he was done studying.
Sims majoring in Art seem to have an easier time than those majoring in Math or Physics; so much for realism!

(Jane picked the sheets; in fact they're the ones from her old bed.)

She didn't mind him cuddling in behind her, though.
Sims don't have that arm-falling-asleep problem.

And now everyone's Zzzing away...

Awww again!
The only false note being that Martin is dreaming about what's her name from the sorority down the road. But I'm sure it doesn't mean anything.

(Back in the dorms, Randy and Regina aso managed to fit a double bed into one of those tiny rooms; their dorm-mates probably roll their eyes when they see the desk and chair piled out in the hall to make room for it.)

And that's what my Sims are doing. How about yours? *8)

DC
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:40 pm
It's amazing to see fingers on a sim. Mine just have a thumb and the index finger. I'll have to update the graphics card eventually, to see as you do.

My Allegra has long since graduated, had a career...family and passed on to the Sim Heaven so I can't show her anymore. sad Seeing yours is a trip down memory lane for me. I still have Jane Stacks around, she moved into Pleasantville and I haven't done much with her since. Caster Nova recently married the youngest Pleasant girl, Daniel and his wife had one more after the twins in my game.

-SCG
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:52 am
Thanks, SCG! I've yet to actually let a Sim die, although I'll probably work myself up to it eventually. Part of the Great Cycle of Life and all... *8)

I have an NVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 or something like that (modulo odd capitalization). I get fingers, but I don't get special-event cutscenes. The days I enjoyed opening up computers and fiddling around with their parts are behind me (or at least off to one side, heh heh), but I'm thinking maybe someday I'll upgrade to something fancier, if I get ambitious. (Oddly the GeForce 4 series seems to be somewhat less powerful than the GeForce 3; it doesn't have a pixel shader for instance. My son's Republic Commando claimed that it wouldn't run at all on it, but it actually did, and seems to look just fine despite the lack of a pixel shader...)

DC
:story: The Bright Household