Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Links in "Latest Discussion" area
Links in "Latest Discussion" area
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:57 am
I notice that (at least for me) the links in the "Latest Discussions" area on the index page all have a "sid" attached to the end. That's not a problem for most of them, but for the links that are the little arrows that are supposed to point to the last posting in a thread, the "sid" is pasted on after the fragment identifier, so the fragment identifier doesn't work anymore. For instance one that I'm seeing right now:

http://hullabaloo.simshost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15012#15012&sid=8eb2a99e787678cbbfd18220a4b586fb

doesn't work (it just goes to the top of the page, not to the individual posting), whereas

http://hullabaloo.simshost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15012&sid=8eb2a99e787678cbbfd18220a4b586fb#15012

or just

http://hullabaloo.simshost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15012#15012

would work.

Not incredibly urgent, obviously, but if anyone gets a minute...

DC
Re:Links in "Latest Discussion" area
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:37 pm
Hey DC . . . =)

This is really odd . . . I'm not seeing this at all with the links. scratch Is this happening "all the time" or just sometimes?

Are the links "in question" for you just the ones linked with the "little arrows?" (just checking)

Would you be willing to try something for me? =)

(do this right before you leave the Hullabaloo . . . so you don't mess up your current session)

Click the Mark All Posts Read link

Logout

Clear your browswer's cache file

Close your browser

Re-open your browser

Come back to the Hullabaloo

Log back in

Please tell me if this helps you. =)

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:51 pm
Carrot wrote:
This is really odd . . . I'm not seeing this at all with the links. scratch Is this happening "all the time" or just sometimes?

I was seeing it all the time. Honest, officer! *8) But now, even without having done the cache-clearing you suggested, it's stopped.

So, umm... :dunno3:

Sorry to have bothered you, and if it ever does it again I'll get a screen-shot or something. *8)

DC
Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:56 pm
*runs in*
:trout:
*runs out*

Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:56 pm
Hehehe . . . Okay DC . . . =)

Shhh no! You didn't bother me! :razz4: lol

I'd much rather have someone let me know if something is possibly "amiss" rather than just "let it go", so no worries! =D

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:44 pm
You're very kind! :smilehap:

It just happened again; lots of the links on the index page had "&sid=[long hex number]" appended to them. But I just hit Reload, and I got a page that didn't have them. Yoiks!

Probably cosmic rays... :beam:

DC
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:25 pm
dmchess wrote:
You're very kind! :smilehap:

It just happened again; lots of the links on the index page had "&sid=[long hex number]" appended to them. But I just hit Reload, and I got a page that didn't have them. Yoiks!

Probably cosmic rays... :beam:

DC

Hey DC . . . =)

That is SO odd! :confused: lol

Hmmm . . . ::: thinks ::::: Have you tried what I suggested earlier? Not just some steps, but all? If not, please do and let me know if that helps. Thanks! =)

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:09 pm
Carrot wrote:
Hmmm . . . ::: thinks ::::: Have you tried what I suggested earlier? Not just some steps, but all? If not, please do and let me know if that helps. Thanks! =)

I tried it just now. When I came back to the Hullabaloo front page (not yet logged on), some (most? all? should have checked) of the links had the mysterious "sid=" thing added to the end. But after I logged on, they didn't anymore! The behavior evades reproduction. I'm using Opera 7.54 Build 3869 (only a little obsolete, heh heh), in case that helps. And if no one else is seeing it and you have anything better to do, don't worry about it. I can cope!

:shades1:

DC
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:41 pm
dmchess wrote:
Carrot wrote:

I tried it just now. When I came back to the Hullabaloo front page (not yet logged on), some (most? all? should have checked) of the links had the mysterious "sid=" thing added to the end. But after I logged on, they didn't anymore! The behavior evades reproduction. I'm using Opera 7.54 Build 3869 (only a little obsolete, heh heh), in case that helps. And if no one else is seeing it and you have anything better to do, don't worry about it. I can cope!

:shades1:

DC

Okay DC . . . thanks! =D

I'm wondering if you're being shown "your SID" tacked onto those links or the SID's of the poster. Very odd phenomenon to be sure! :dodge:

You're the only member who's mentioned this to me. If it becomes a widespread thing or you get to where you cannot cope I'll "dig into the code" and see what I can do. =)

Do you think it could be your version of Opera? (not sure myself as I've never used Opera)

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:10 pm
Carrot wrote:
I'm wondering if you're being shown "your SID" tacked onto those links or the SID's of the poster.

I think it's the phpBB "session ID". A bit of research suggests that this is a known problem with phpBB's "append_sid()" function; quoting from here:
Someone who knows more about php than I do wrote:
Unfortunately the append_sid-function does not handle this, so you should first build the url without the fragment part, and then call append_sid (or add the sid to url some other way), and after that append the fragment as the last element of the url.

So it probably happens whenever the BBS doesn't think the SID is getting properly stored in the cookie and therefore tries to store it in the URL. Dunno why it would think that in my case (I don't consciously have cookies turned off or anything, and in general cookie-based things do work for me), but it's not just Opera; I brought up Firefox and it did the same thing. Could be that no one else has reported it just because the symptom is sort of subtle: the little arrows still take you to the right page, they just don't automatically scroll you to the right posting...

Or something *8) ,
DC
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:28 pm
Thanks DC! Wow, you are sure a resourceful one! :winky:

I have never seen this "sid phenomenon" so I really am confused as to what could be causing this for you. No one else has mentioned this AND in the support area of the mod author there is no mention of sid troubles whatsoever.

:confused:

DC would you be willing to try something for me again?

Log out of the Hullabaloo

Clear your browsers cache file

Close your browser

Find your Hullabaloo cookie and delete it

Come back, log in, accept the cookie and see if that does anything.

Let me know either way. =)

Thanks!

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:17 pm
Carrot wrote:
Thanks DC! Wow, you are sure a resourceful one! :winky:

If your user profile is accurate, I've been an admin (of something) on and off, in one form and another, since you were in about third grade. :smilehap: ('course maybe you have too!) Googling for bugs comes natural. (Why, in my day we didn't have this "web"; you had to go out and post questions to Usenet and wait for answers, ten miles, in the snow, uphill both ways!)

Carrot wrote:
DC would you be willing to try something for me again?

'kay I did all that stuff. When I went to Hullabaloo for the first time (cookieless), the spurious sid was there in all the links. I checked the cookies, and there was now a cookie set (key "phpbb2mysql_sid", value "039eb0c88c97853cc3120fe892fca424", same as the value in the links). I hit Reload (now encookied), and the spurious sid was gone. fwiw...

(So there are two questions: why is the sid ever in the links at all, and when it's there why is it improperly sitting after, rather than before, the #fragment part of the URLs?)

Tx for caring!
DC
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:25 am
Carrot wrote:
I have never seen this "sid phenomenon" so I really am confused as to what could be causing this for you.

So when you do all that cache-clearing and decookifying stuff and go to Hullabaloo again yourself, you don't see the sids at the ends of the links the very first time? That's odd.

If I point a trivial URL-fetching Perl script at "http://hullabaloo.simshost.com/forum/index.php", the links in the page that comes back also all have the sids attached.

Oh, but look! I may have been misreporting this slightly. The sids are there on all the links, but afaict they're only misplaced (after the #fragment part rather than before it) in the "Latest Discussions" area. The other ones have the #fragment last.

So my theory at this point is that the sids are normal, and there's just a small bug in the way the code for the "Latest Discussions" section produces the "go to last post" link. It probably says something like

append_sid($thread_url.'#'.$post_number)

rather than

append_sid($thread_url).'#'.$post_number

or whatever (I don't actually speak php; have to learn it one of these days).

DC
Links in "Latest Discussion" area