Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Over at the Danverses'
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
:story: Over at the Danverses'
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:40 pm
Chaos Reigns

The day Eleanor Raptor became an adult (see Living with the Raptors), she called up John Danvers, the really nice father from down the road that she'd befriended as a child and a teenager, invited him over, and seduced him. Multiply.

Since then, John has tried to keep his overwhelming at Eleanor's hands from interfering with his (very happy) family life and his marriage to Jean, and except for the occasional day when all of his Wants have involved Eleanor, he's done pretty well, until...

Today Eleanor was in the mood for some amorous activities, and thinking that her main squeeze Brandi had to leave for work, she invited John over. Just as he arrived, she looked at the calendar again and realized that Brandi had the day off, so she went out, intending to just give him a little fondle and send him home. But before she could do that, he began sweet-talking her right out there on the sidewalk. Not realizing that his wife was just coming around the corner.

"You bad person!"
Jean made the "not in love anymore" boooing sound and everything; it was quite traumatic. When I went over to the Danverses' place and checked, her Daily relationship with John was -20 (ouch). Fortunately the Lifetime was still 85, so there was hope.

That night, Jean didn't say a word to John, but she wouldn't sleep in the same bed with him. (In fact back at their place they were already peacefully sleeping together, and as soon as the lot loaded she got up, despite the fact that she was still rather tired; just couldn't stand to be in the same sheets with the four-flusher, apparently.) The next day, they had a serious conversation about love.

"So just what does love mean to you?"

And, over breakfast, about friendship.

"You've always been my best friend."

Jean was amazingly sweet and forgiving about the whole thing. John frankly expressed his fond admiration.

"I know I don't deserve you."
People always say trite things at times like this.

And when his admiration carried him away, Jean made no objection.

"Why, Sir, you quite sweep me away!"

And, after her shower, she got rather carried away herself.

"Now just tell me one more time which body parts you lose if I ever see you with that woman again, and then we can proceed."

Now this was all very nice (Jean's relationship numbers with John were already up in the 90's again). And amid it all the family had also found the time to get ready for Joan's birthday party. Everything seemed under control, when during dinner John suddenly stood up and frowned.

"What's this odd feeling?"
I'd been planning to have John and Jean become elders pretty soon, but when the Cheating Incident happened I decided to put that off. John's aspiration was platinum and Jean's was low gold, so I hurried her to the Elixir bottle for a couple of swigs, figuring I could do him later on. But apparently I forgot.

Whether it was the stress of losing and regaining Jean, or just the relentless passage of time, John had aged.
But Jean didn't mind in the least.

"Older guys are sexy."

And in fact (later in the night, after the other pictures below), she sealed both her forgiveness of his straying, and her approval of his maturity.

Homelife is happy again
Somehow John's face looks frighteningly realistic here.

But anyway, shortly after John's unexpected transition (and also shortly after this funny scene), it was time for Joan (the younger one, the one who doesn't get into her share of family photos) to leave childhood behind.

Blowing out the candles
Note how John, still not quite comfortable with his new look, is hiding behind the lefthand door, with just his hands sticking through it to clap.

Her first seconds as a teenager:

Whatever
Do all teenage girls start with this hairstyle?

She made instantly for the bathroom mirror, and did a few things with her hair and her face.

"Hm, and maybe a hat would be nice..."
I'd been planning to have Joan be a sort of plain bookish Knowledge Sim; but sometimes a character just has other ideas.

And then some accessories.

"Yeah, good."

She wanted to adopt the family uniform (white T-shirt and khakis), but with her own twist. Fortunately (and for a change), the local clothing store was up to the task.

"Heh."
Which seems to be Teenage Joan for "Perfect". And for "Maybe now I'll get into more of the snapshots".

And then it was time for school.

"I'm sorry, this skirt is dorky."

And that's what's been going on in that household lately. *8) Except for Georgia and Jane's adopted son Justin, who's been a pretty run-of-the-mill (and of course adorable) toddler, and was asleep and/or practicing on the xylophone for much of the above. And Georgia's being torn between her painting and a more conventional job. And John's wanting another grandchild. And Jean's longing for a life of crime. And...

DC
Re::story: Over at the Danverses'
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:35 pm
Neat! I just realized that's the first time I've seen an adult change into an elder! I have elders in my game, but they were all born that way.
embarrassed

Hint: If you break up the story so that you don't have too many pictures in one message, longer stories will scroll onto multiple pages. That saves bandwidth and load times. Which is, of course, why there are more than 100 "chapters" in Tales of Happy Valley.
:smilehap:

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:16 pm
Greg wrote:
Neat! I just realized that's the first time I've seen an adult change into an elder! I have elders in my game, but they were all born that way.

And you so experienced and all! :spinspin: After my first couple (the Zooms), I find it much less scary (although John is only my third). The Elder life-bar is quite long, and Elders seem just as happy as anyone else (and, as I keep forgetting to verify/exploit, they're supposed to be more influential with the Younger Generations as well). It'd be nice if they could get real jobs; but then too many "it'd be nice"s coming true might spoil the challenge!

Greg wrote:
Hint: If you break up the story so that you don't have too many pictures in one message, longer stories will scroll onto multiple pages. That saves bandwidth and load times. Which is, of course, why there are more than 100 "chapters" in Tales of Happy Valley.

Ah, good thought. What's the algorithm (or the approximate algorithm) that the board uses to start a new page? Is it just raw number of postings?
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:09 am
I like the "it'd be nices." Grin I want the game to simulate real life. If I wanted a contrived game with cornball stuff that's only there to make the game harder to play, I'd play Super Mario World.

Of course, JM Pescado has a noagediscrimination hack that enables elders to get real jobs.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:53 am
Greg wrote:
I like the "it'd be nices." Grin I want the game to simulate real life. If I wanted a contrived game with cornball stuff that's only there to make the game harder to play, I'd play Super Mario World.

Unfortunately there is lots of age discrimination in real life. It's way more complex than in TS2 of course, but having elders exactly as employable as adults wouldn't be all that realistic either...

Greg wrote:
Of course, JM Pescado has a noagediscrimination hack that enables elders to get real jobs.

Natch! He's a scary guy. *8)

DC
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:00 pm
Rooms to Let
Part I: Growing Pains

"I don't know, Aunt Marisa. The place just feels so crowded. I mean, I love Justin and everybody, but I know Jane and Georgia want another baby, and, it's just. I don't know. Is there enough room?"

Heart to heart
Marisa is actually Joan's sister's wife's mother, but "Aunt" is a common Neighborhood One term for any complicated female relative. And technically speaking there is enough room, since there are only six Danverses on the lot; but I don't think I'm up to running a lot with seven or eight Sims in it.

"I want to have fun! Do teen things! Play video games!"

This younger generation
Everything just has to be electronic.

"I mean, yeah, Dad and I have been getting along great lately. I know he really likes having me around."

John and Joan reading
Joan's working on her Hygienics Scholarship. John's just chilling.

"But what do I want?"

Joan thinks.
Still sleeping in her childhood bed, but not a child anymore.

What does Joan want? (And if she wants to move out, will Maxis let her?) Stay tuned for Part II.
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:21 pm
Rooms to Let
Part II: Moving Out

"Yeah, I saw the ad in the paper? Rooms to Let? I wonder, do you have like an age limit?"

First make arrangements, then ask permission.
It turns out, of course, that teens in TS2 don't have a "Find Own Place" action on the newspaper. But my RL daughter and I came up with a way to get Joan moved out with help from her Mom.

"Well, okay honey, you've convinced me. As long as I like the look of the place, we'll give it a try. But your Dad's not going to take it well."

Girl talk.
John's rather clueless. That's Eleanor Raptor he's on the phone with. Despite all the trouble he got into over her last time, he keeps spinning up these Eleanor wants, and I grant him the safe ones like "talk". It keeps him distracted from what his family's planning behind his back. He's in for a shock when he finally gets off the phone, though.

"Oh, my baby, my baby!"

"C'mon, Dad, I'll be right across town. You can visit any time."

Poor fellow.
I was surprised to see John crying. I haven't checked to see if he has a bad memory of the event; I imagine it was more the "wife moving out" thing that upset him, since the game doesn't know that she's coming right back. Still it'd be in character for him to be upset about his teenage daughter leaving. It's a big moment for a Family Sim.

"Okay, let's go!"

"You have money for the fare, right Mom?"

Will Jean approve of Rooms To Let? Will this trick actually work? Will John mope around miserably until Jean returns? Some of these questions may be answered in the next exciting episode!
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:51 pm
Rooms to Let
Part III: Moving In

Meanwhile, at the bus stop on the outskirts of Neighborhood One, Brandi LeTourneau was waiting. Her being there deserves its own story (don't we all), but basically she had finally gotten tired of the Love Nest, called up some former minions from her world domination days (back before she got into medicine), and arranged to get an old industrial warehouse on the edge of town transferred into her name and fixed up. The last steps had involved a quick trip out of town, but now she was back and ready to take ownership.

Even ex-Criminal Masterminds like their MP3 players.
Turned out Brandi's Lifetime Want was to be Chief of Staff, so she's working her way up. Although you can't really tell in this shot, Brandi's wearing the Better Living Through Chocolate Crop Top from The Pearl.

Right on time, the college kid that'd answered her ad (Taylor something) showed up (fresh from his graduation party (which also deserves a story of its own; he's passed the house along to Candice Ng)), followed shortly by the teenager and her Mom.

Joan and Brandi size each other up; Taylor's a little shy.
The Bus Stop is a tiny lot with just a lamp post and a phone that I use for family merging, and for characters that really ought to be in the Sim Bin while waiting for houses to be built and stuff, except that in the Sim Bin there's no phone.

They got in a taxi, and after a brief drive they arrived at Rooms to Let. Brandi and Joan headed inside immediately, but Jean stopped Taylor for a moment.

"You be a gentleman with my daughter, you understand?"
"Okay, ma'am, fine! It's not like I can violate the laws of physics anyway."

Jean, satisfied with the people and the place, headed back home, where John was happy to see her.

A warm welcome.
So we moved Joan out by having Jean move out and take Joan with her, then combined families to get Brandi and Taylor in, moved all four into the new Rooms to Let lot, and then Jane called Jean and invited her over, John asked her to move in, she naturally accepted, and on the "who should move in with her?" dialogue I didn't choose anyone. Result: Joan happily installed at Rooms to Let, and all other Danverses as before.

Back at the edge of town, the three new roommates get their first look at the place.

Not bad. Love that new-carpet smell.
I'd meant to get rid of all the beds and stoves and toilets and things before they moved in, so that they could get some cheap aspiration points by spinning up wants for those things and I could then buy them again, but I forgot. These three are pretty well off aspiration-wise anyway.

And that's it for this story. Will the roomies get along? Will Taylor eventually bring Candice to live with him? Will they find a lodger for the fourth bedroom? Will Brandi be our second PermaPlatinum Sim? These questions will probably be answered in some other thread, if at all...

:shades1:

DC

Last edited by dmchess on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:18 am
Question?

"Although you can't really tell in this shot, Brandi's wearing the Better Living Through Chocolate Crop Top from The Pearl."

What did you charge Greg to get that product placement added into your story? wink I wouldn't put it past him to try any form of advertising.

-SCG
(brought to you by SimExpress-"Don't leave home without it!"
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:13 am
SimCityGallery wrote:
What did you charge Greg to get that product placement added into your story? wink

I'm just buttering him up in advance, in case I ever need a favor from someone on Luna.

:1eye:

DC

Also I like the shirt!
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:18 am
SimCityGallery wrote:
Question?

"Although you can't really tell in this shot, Brandi's wearing the Better Living Through Chocolate Crop Top from The Pearl."

What did you charge Greg to get that product placement added into your story? wink I wouldn't put it past him to try any form of advertising.

-SCG
(brought to you by SimExpress-"Don't leave home without it!"

Hmm... I like it! lol

Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:18 am
Great reading DC . . . Thanks! =D

In fact, I love all the stories here . . . what creativity we have in our Members! :woohoo:

Now if only my "pea brain" could come up with some stories . . . :sigh: lol

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:33 am
Carrot wrote:
Great reading DC . . . Thanks! =D

My pleasure!

Carrot wrote:
Now if only my "pea brain" could come up with some stories . . . :sigh: lol

You think I write these stories? It's all the Sims' doing. I'm sure yours are doing stuff that's just as diverting. The secret is slipping a mickey to that "Oh, no one would want to read this" censor that lurks in your (in everyone's) brain. After that, it's easy! *8)

DC
Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:40 am
I love reading your stories, DC.
Greg is the creative brain amongst us!
I do the decorating, he does the writing. :winky:
Keep the stories coming. :smilehap:

nanci2121
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:53 pm
Nancy wrote:
I love reading your stories, DC.

I blushes with quiet pride. blush

Nancy wrote:
Greg is the creative brain amongst us!
I do the decorating, he does the writing. :winky:

Whatever works! Although it's always fun to violate tradition now and then. *8)

Nancy wrote:
Keep the stories coming. :smilehap:

No worries on that score. (Although I do tend to have ups and downs, and sometimes I'll get an enormous enthusiasm for something and then suddenly forget about it altogether; I seem to do that with Wikis every couple of years, for instance. But so far TS2 is firmly holding my interest...)

DC
:story: Over at the Danverses'