Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Which Browser Do You Use?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Which Browser Do You Use?
Internet Explorer
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Mozilla Firefox
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
Other
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:08 pm
Curious as to which browser everyone is using these days . . . many thanks in advance for your vote! =)

* if you vote for "other", please post and let us know which browser - thanks! *

For a comprehensive listing (and archive) of browsers (old and new) head to Evolt.

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:47 am
I use Firefox. Mostly because I'm not the one who installs things on my computer.

Edit, July 24th, 6:15pm: Then again, Firefox has just gone and died on me.

Last edited by Nihale199 on Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Re:Which Browser Do You Use?
greatdane
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:54 am
I mosty use Firefox. Basically cause I like it much better than IE.

Lise

Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:53 am
I'm a netscape gal. I HATE IE. I have used firefox before though, and liked it ok, also I have used opera which was great but didn't have features of netscape that I wanted...wouldn't read some sites.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:58 am
I use Netscape too. I tried the Thunderbird email client and was so unhappy with it that i didn't even bother installing Firefox.

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:44 pm
I'm still using Internet Exploder. It's what most fans use (I assume) so that's what we need to design for.

tomssimstuff
Extreme SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:26 pm
I use Firefox all the time.

I personally hate IE, but then I partially hate Microsoft too, which is why I run Linux, but that's a whole other topic in itself.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:24 pm
btw, I do use thunderbird for email Grin

Wytch's Brew
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:50 am
Greg wrote:
I'm still using Internet Exploder. It's what most fans use (I assume) so that's what we need to design for.

I only switched over to IE (some years back) when AOL bought out Netscape and Netscape stopped updating Communicator. Then Mozilla was formed and they started developing the browser now known as Firefox, and this is what I'm using now for everything except Windows updates.

In terms of designing for one browser or the other, to design for one or the other only leaves those who "do" use the one you're not gearing your design toward "out of the loop". In my re-design, I'm working toward making the design compatible for both browsers. The only thing holding me up is time and the fact that I have to deal with all few hundred of my dl flies (which I just can't seem to get motivated to do . . . at least at this time. =)

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

Last edited by Sheba on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:15 pm
I agree; the important thing is to be compatible with all browsers. If you have complex scripts that sometimes means using browser-specific code, and we have a little bit of that in the SimsHost system, but mostly I get around browser incompabilities by keeping the HTML very simple.

Yeah, that's it. It has nothing to do with being lazy. Nope, not at all.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:24 pm
I personally get really ticked when people have IE-specific coding because I refuse to use IE. It crashes all the time, it puts spyware on my system, and there are always 100 popups whenever I open it. If I could just uninstall it and get rid of it I would. But it's integrated into Windows and would cause problems.

Wytch's Brew
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:07 pm
Liss wrote:
If I could just uninstall it and get rid of it I would.

Oh, but you CAN! =D

It's not the most convenient task to undertake, but it IS possible (it all depends on how much you detest IE and as to how far you're willing to go to get rid of it). =)

Have a look at the following . . .

Code:

How to Remove Internet Explorer from Your System
by Joey deVilla at 02:54PM (EDT) on July 29, 2004

In case you're having trouble getting to the popular "How to Remove Internet Explorer" article on Crackbaby.com, I've copied and pasted the relevant text below.

Warning: Do this only if you're comfortable fiddling about with the Registry. You should approach editing the Registry with the same care you'd use if you were defusing a bomb.

Since you cannot remove IE from the OS, you have to disable it in some way or make it so that it can't be accessed via shell (not going to happen). Well after some experimentation of my own and reading through the registry diligently, I have your answer:

1. If you do not have IE 6 installed on your machine, install it using Microsoft Update. Reboot
2. Go to add/remove programs in control panel. Remove IE. Reboot.
1. after reboot it will ask if you want to get rid of your settings. Just say yes or else it will ask indefinitely.
3. Backup your registry
4. Do a search through the registry for 'iexplore.exe' and 'url.dll'. Replacing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT instances of these two with the path to your alternative browser seems to do the trick. I now have all my other Microsoft apps that would normally call IE, now calling Firefox.

For instance, I have Mozilla Firefox as my alternate browser so I replace with the following:

open/command -> C:PROGRA~1MOZILL~1FIREFOX.EXE -url "%1"
DefaultIcon -> C:PROGRA~1MOZILL~1FIREFOX.EXE,1

If you don't have a good registry editing tool, I suggest JV16 Power Tools. A very good program for editing and cleaning the registry as well as several other nice tools. Plus it has a 30 day trial period enabling you to use it for this task though I do suggest purchasing since it's a great tool

After this is all done, it works beautifully and I haven't had a single problem. This is not a simple solution but it is effective. You may want to experiment a bit more by searching through the registry for instances of Iexplore and tweaking HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as well but the above should take care of security concerns which is all we are worried about.

WINDOWS UPDATE PROBLEMS??? You may now notice the 'windows update' button in your start panel no longer works. Not a problem at all. You have two ways to now get your updates. Either through settings/control panel/automatic updates (at which points updates will appear in your systray) or via the URL http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en . I suggest the automatic update as that is easiest but keep the URL safe. You can change windows update so that instead of it pointing to the update executable, it will now point to the URL by right clicking on the link, choosing properties and then under target putting: C:PROGRA~1MOZILL~1FIREFOX.EXE -url "http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en". However I suggest the automatic update option as it is far easier as saves you loads of time.

For those non-techies out there who don't feel up to this task, there is an easier way to avoid this problem... switch to Linux. :)

NOTE: I should also mention that because the system will always attempt to recreate IE, when it does using the default installed browser that is integrated into the system, do the following:

1. got to c:Program FilesInternet Exporer and right click on Iexplore.exe
2. Go to properties/security (make sure you are logged in as admin of the machine)
3. Remove ALL permissions!

This will effectively make it so that the system cannot call the program and in alot of instance, I have found that if it cannot open Iexplore.exe, it will ask you for an alternative browser to use. :)

Source: http://farm.tucows.com/blog/_archives/2004/7/29/114593.html

=)

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:19 pm
Cool, I might try this...although, it hasn't caused any problems lately, I have all my programs set up so that they use Netscape as the default browser. This is why I don't use outlook express for email anymore as well LOL

Wytch's Brew
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:39 am
Liss wrote:
Cool, I might try this...although, it hasn't caused any problems lately, I have all my programs set up so that they use Netscape as the default browser. This is why I don't use outlook express for email anymore as well LOL

Well Hon . . . all I can tell you if you DO try is to BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY! (sorry, didn't mean to shout, but I cannot stress the importance of doing so). :winky:

If you're not sure how to backup/restore the registry, check out this page.

Yea, I chucked OE quite some time ago, honestly it's like taking your life into your own hands using that thing! :surprised4: hehe Well, okay . . . not quite that serious but the security holes and "work-arounds" for breeching said security can really mess up your machine. Sad thing is, MS packages that into the OS and new users "new" to email/the Net use it because "it's there" and don't realize the potential dangers.

If you ever get tired of what you're currently using for email, I highly recommend PocoMail. I've been using this email client for quite some time now, it's a keen little app and very secure.

Speaking of Security . . . if you (or any other Firefox user) hasn't already, I also highly recommend the NoScript extension. This little extension is SO handy as it keeps Javascript from running on websites and will only allow Javascript from sites that you designate therefore giving you a more "secure" browsing experience. Just remember, if you DO use the NoScript extension to allow Javascript here at the Hullabaloo as there's a bit of Javascript that controls how the board's Theme works/functions. =)

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:42 am
Notes (which may or may not be relevant):

To remove IE from Win98, you basically end up changing the OS to Win95, so I don't think I'll do that.

Win98 and later, you can tell the Windows installer NOT to install Outlook Express, which is what I did. Unfortunately, the Windows Updates attempts to download and install the updates for OE, which basically installs OE.

WinXP has the nice feature where you can specify in one place which browser, email client, music player, etc. should be used. That's almost, but not quite enough to get me up upgrade!

I agree, backup your registry before doing any poking around in there!

Will PocoMail import all my Netscape settings, like address book, old emails, folders, etc?

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site