Reply to topic :dl: 2x2 Empty Lot
Goto page 1, 2  Next
:dl: 2x2 Empty Lot
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:38 pm
2x2 Empty Lot

2x2 Empty Lot
SimsHost subscribers can click on the image to download. 613 KB.
No objects, no sims, no hacks, no nuttin'!
There's nothing here but a zip file containing a .Sims2Pack which you can download and double-click to install a 2x2 empty lot in your game.

You can build some magnificent homes on a little 2x2 lot, but the smallest lot available in the Empty Lots catalog is 2x3. Save your sims some street frontage with this 2x2 lot.

The lot is completely empty except for the mailbox and trash can. This lot is also free of game hacks, sims, and all other objects.

To use this lot, download it, unzip it, and put the .Sims2Pack file anywhere on your machine (Your folder named The Sims 2\PackagedLots is a good spot). Then, when your game is not running, doubleclick the .Sims2Pack file to install the lot in your game.

If you want to have many 2x2 empty lots in your game, you can repeatedly click on the .Sims2Pack to install multiple copies, or (so I'm told) you can hunt down the latest file in your Lot Catalog and make it Read Only so that the game doesn't remove it once you install it. In any case, you only need to download this thing once.

The lot will show up as the last entry in your Empty Lots catalog, cleverly named "2x2_Empty_Lot".

The terrain is flatter than Kansas, so it might not want to line up immediately adjacent to a lot that doesn't have flat edges. Otherwise, you can seriously pack your neighborhood with nice, comfortable little lots.

It's a relatively small download; costs about 6 cents for subscribers at the current download rate.

Re::dl: 2x2 Empty Lot
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:37 am
Thanks, Greg! I can see how this would be a handy lot to have. I'm downloading it now.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:14 am
I neglected to mention that is one of the lots from Pleasantview with all the stuff cleaned out. I exported and imported in a clean version of the game into a completely empty neighborhood, so it should be totally hack-free.

I still haven't figured out how to make it permanent, so that it says in your lots catalog. I tried the trick of putting in the lot templates under Program Files and renaming it as "_permanent" but that only works on campus. It doesn't show up in the neighborhood lot catalog. Changing the file to Read Only didn't seem to impress the game at all.

SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:21 am
You can still add it as many times as you want by installing the file. I'll just keep the zip handy so I can import a 2x2 lot anytime I want.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:09 pm
I just saved the .Sims2Pack file in the PackagedLots folder. In fact, I have all the lots I've ever packaged in there so that I can reinstall them again if i want to.

That turned out to be a boon because it when The Bomb hit, those packaged lots were my only backup of my favorite characters. It's how I rescued the Frankses and Allardices and Bennetts from oblivion.

Be careful of installing multiple copies of occupied lots. That might have been a contributing factor to The Bomb That Wiped Out Happy Valley. I had a duplicate copy of the Bennett family in the same neighborhood, and sometimes the game got confused about which character was which. For instance, when Joyce got engaged, her clone showed up wearing an engagement ring.

For that reason, and because the houses get so big if they are occupied, my thinking is that if you want to distribute an occupied lot you should move the family to an empty lot and package them separately.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:58 pm
Speaking of saving street frontage, I've been trying to figure out how to create a 2x3 lot template, and then even a 2x4 and 2x5.

If you look at the street plan for almost any real city, you'll see that the lots are laid out with the short side along the street because street frontage is expensive compared to the cost of the raw acreage. These lots would make neighborhoods much more realistic.

In fact, if you want to build a town representative of places like New Orleans with its classic "shotgun" house, you'd need to be able to make 1x3 lots!

Has anyone broken the code on the lot template files?

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:06 pm
I suspect people want lots with low frontage because that's how your taxes for sidewalks and street paving are figured...

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:31 pm
Yup. Whether you pay for them by taxes (New York style) or in a more straightforward manner (pretty much the rest of the country), streets and utilities are expensive so you get a lot more land for your money if your lot runs back from the street instead of along it.

All you really need on the street is enough space for a driveway and a five-foot utility easement, so we may some day see neighborhoods planned with single-family dwellings on lots behind streetfront lots and even shared driveways.

miros1
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:00 pm
When I was doing Portobello Road research, I discovered that the bigger stores actually have a small storefront, then the store proper balloons out behind the stores to give them lots of floor space. This is a law or some other sort of regulation to keep the boutique/small store look of Portobello Road.

Rose/Miros

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:11 am
That sounds like a really good idea to me. That way Portobello Road can retain at least some of its appeal as a quaint shopping district. From the photos I've seen, the store fronts are getting kinda tacky, though.

I really miss downtown shopping areas. I don't know of any that are left except in bits of New York City. Everywhere else it's all Wal-Mart and strip malls. I really like Wal-Mart, but I regret the loss of the individual identities that cities used to have.

miros1
Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:41 pm
Yeah, we have a ton of empty stores downtown here. Unfortunately, the mall is succumbing too; all the traffic is moving out to the west end where WalMart is.

Did I ever say I hate WalMart?

Rose/Miros

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:51 am
I do believe that you have mentioned that.

Some of the effects of Wal-Mart on the design of our cities don't settle well with me, but I really can't blame the decline of downtown on Wal-Mart. Downtowns were killed off by shopping malls long before Sam Walton arrived on the scene with his incredibly efficient distribution system. Wal-Mart is just the next logical evolution of the same trend toward increasing efficiency.

The next logical step in reducing the cost of distribution to eliminate the parking lots. You'll be able to shop on the net and have everything delivered to your door straight from the warehouse. Eventually people will build arcologies where the distribution system is out of site and fully automated.

The down side of this is that humans will become a species of shut-ins with no practical reason for most of us ever to venture from the security and comfort of our homes.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:48 am
Unfortunately, some of us have weird shaped bodies and need to try on our clothes before we buy them. I can get casual clothes off the net with no problems, but nicer clothes and winter coats really need to be tried on....

Rose/Miros

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:35 pm
Good point. I was already having second thoughts about that idea because more often than not I want to see a thing for real rather than order it from the net.

We'd have to go to the next step: Have a database with your measurements available to some robotic clothing (and shoes) factory that cranks out custom clothing on demand. If no human labor is involved and you have high-volume production, the cost per item would be low.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:21 pm
Greg wrote:

The next logical step in reducing the cost of distribution to eliminate the parking lots. You'll be able to shop on the net and have everything delivered to your door straight from the warehouse.

Hey! Sounds like the olden days. I remember my mom talking about when the grocery stores delivered, and I remember for myself when we had an actual milk man.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
:dl: 2x2 Empty Lot