Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :dl: Fun With Tan Lines
:dl: Fun With Tan Lines
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:47 pm
Fun With Tan Lines

PSSknLgt_04 - Light Skin With a Deep Tan
SimsHost Subscribers can click on the image to download.
Warning: Large download, about 3.5 megabytes.
Warning: Beneath the bikini, the female skins are anatomically correct.
Custom skin tone will show only on fit and normal Young Adult and Adult women. All the others are regular light skin tones.
This is a complete skin archive; includes both sexes from infant through elder.
Before you download and install this skin, see the notes in the next message to make sure you want it.
The other female skin tones might include someone else's version of the nude skin. I think it's the one from DMA Sims.

Once upon a time, a teenager named Inga Thonnsdotter was puzzling over where she wanted to go to college. Weary of the frozen waste of her native northern Minnesota, she looked for warmer climes for her higher education. Honolulu seemed about right, and thanks to great grades and a terrific scholarship, she got into the University of Hawaii.

Now, since Inga was very fair-skinned and not one to hang out at tanning salons, she was afraid that her milk-white pelt would brand her as an outcast among the locals with their lovely precancerous glow. With that thought in mind, she hurried on down to The Islands of Aloha three weeks early. There, donning the skimpiest bikini she could bring herself to wear in public, she spent most of the days before college registration opened roasting her bod on the beach and reading David McCullough's book, John Adams.

Inga thoroughly enjoyed those langorous days of pretending to be a langorous wahine on the langorous sands of Waikiki. She also thoroughly enjoyed the book, which she never returned to David.

Then college happened, and she moved into the dorm. Sure enough, she quickly learned that all the other college girls were strutting their stuff in even skimpier bikinis! Summoning all of her Viking courage, Inga hurried down to the boy-bait shop to acquire a swimsuit that was more of an idea than a garment. She was chagrinned to note that she now had permanent tan lines emblazoned on her otherwise (almost) flawless skin; however, as it turned out, this did not turn out to be a significant deteriment to her adventures in attracting male companionship. Quite the opposite, in fact!

OKOKOK, silly stories aside, this skin tone is an experiment. I've only modified the adult female skins for the fit and normal body shapes, so if Inga overeats, she'll lose her tan. In that case, Inga will assume (quite inaccurately) that boys would not appreciate the sight of her body. (Well, actually, I'm just being lazy; or perhaps impatient.) We can only speculate why a more voluptuous Inga would also decide to be more thorough with her razor.

I added some texture the skin that might turn out to be too subtle to show up in the game. I haven't play-tested this one yet, so if anyone tries this skin tone on a sim, please post a note in this thread and let me know how she turns out!

If I find myself overcome by a bout of industriousness, I'll do the fat adult body shape and the teen skins, too, and replace the archive with an updated version.

Until (and if) that happens, if you really don't like having Inga lose her tan when she gains weight, try duplicating her normal skin onto the fat skin file and see what happens. Or, alternatively, just don't let Inga overeat.

Last edited by Greg on Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Re::dl: Fun With Tan Lines
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:55 pm
Fun With Tan Lines, Addendum

In actual game play, I've learned that this will require editing both the head and body textures. As it is, it looks like Inga put too much sun block on her neck and shoulders.

Inga needs to be more careful with sun block.

Here's Inga again, in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy, playing with her friends, the Ingaphilic Censor Snakes. She just aced her 1st semester Sophomore finals (majoring in Literature). She's living on campus in the dorm and in the third trimester of pregnancy. (A not-infrequent hazard to college co-eds, but Inga will not allow this to deter her from pursuing her Bachelor of Arts degree!)

I need to do some more work on this skin tone because I don't like the way her neck turned out. I was trying to avoid extending the tan onto her neck because that means editing the head textures as well.

Teens, Young Adults, and Adults use sundry combinations of the teen and adult body textures, which means I need to edit ALL the head and body textures for teen and adult females. The trickiest part will be getting the joint between the head and body, which occurs in the middle of the neck, to match up seamlessly.

On the other hand, I did have some success with another feature I was going for.

The inside of her arms and her hands rarely see the sun

I like the way the inside of her arms and her hands turned out. I faded out the tan from that area because, unless they are obsessive about getting an even tan, people don't usually expose those parts of the body to direct sunlight while tanning on the beach.

The subtle texture does show up somewhat in the game, about what you'd expect in a live human. To some extent it's lost in the reduction in graphical quality that you get in the game, but close examination shows just enough of little blue veins (especially in the untanned areas) and enough variation in the skin tone to be convincing.

After all that, I think I'll leave this skin tone as it is in the download and create a separate file for the next version. I'm thinking someone might like to have a character who got carried away with slathering on the sun block. After playing with Inga for a while I've become rather fond of her, and the unplanned light areas on her neck and shoulders have become an interesting part of her personality. After all, a gal from northern Minnesota might not be an expert at competition suntanning!

Or, obviously, at contraception.

Oh well. Inga wanted to experience young adult life to the fullest, and she certainly doing that!

Last edited by Greg on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:21 pm
Addendum: I'm working on a version where the tan extends to her neck and face. The ladies are all done, from teen through adult. Now I gotta do the guys.

I'm debating with myself whether to do the children, too. (I recall being fairly well roasted every summer when I was a kid, owing to the advent of community swimming pools in the Fifties, and all my sim kids really love the pool.)

Note that this penchant for tanning is an inherited trait so characters with this skin tone might pass on their sunworshipping habits to their children.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:09 pm
Addendum to the addendum: I'm happy with the way the new skin tone turned out. You'll find it it in the Return of Tan Lines topic.
smile

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:10 pm
um = little request? is it possible to have this skin with all ages be AC? It seems very strange to me that the older ladies' nipples disappear!
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:29 pm
Sita wrote:
um = little request? is it possible to have this skin with all ages be AC? It seems very strange to me that the older ladies' nipples disappear!

Hmm... I can see as to how that would be a little weird, yup. I'll add that to my list of things to do.

It's one of those things I just don't think of because I don't have very many elders of either flavor in my game. They've given up on trying to deliver the Elixir of Life by tanker truck; just finally settled for installing a pipeline to Dr. Tolad's laboratory that feeds directly to faucets in every house in Happy Valley.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:23 pm
Uh oh. Something is awry. I looked at this skin in Body Shop and found that the elder female does have nipples, although no pubic hair. I don't think I made those skins but they should be included in PSSknLgt04.

PSSknLgt05, which is essentially the same skin but with a tanned face, has the same elder skins.

So now the big question is why they aren't showing up that way in your game? I'm kinda clueless.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:07 pm
oops maybe it was someone else's skin I used - thanks for checking. Will redownload anyway in case something went adrift.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:45 pm
Greg wrote:
PSSknLgt05, which is essentially the same skin but with a tanned face, has the same elder skins.

Don't your silly Sims know that tanning your face causes WRINKLES?!?!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:10 pm
I'm wondering if there's a way use SimPE to tell what skin a given character is wearing. Haven't found it yet.

:dl: Fun With Tan Lines