Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Is anyone still playing The Sims 1?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Is anyone still playing The Sims 1?
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:26 pm
It's been quite a while since I've seen any major updates for The Sims 1 among the listings in the SimsHost Chronicle. I'm wondering if folks are still looking for things for the original game.

While perusing the boards, I see a lot of interest in Sims 1 stuff at M and M Needful Things, which appears to continue to be going strong because they make unique custom objects and new animations. (Caution: Very Adult Site.) Other than that, I haven't seen much at all.

It's been a long time since I've seen a new Sims 1 site added to the Ultimate Sims List, too, although some of the newer listings have things for The Sims 1 and The Sims 2.

I'll confess that the last time I started up The Sims 1 was so that I could play with Norma Jean's Roadside Diner from Artistic Habitats. That was well worth the trouble of digging out my Makin' Magic disk and starting up the game! But I've found that the sims in The Sims 2 have so much more personality that the characters in the original game just aren't as appealing as they used to be.

I'm think I've become spoiled by the flashing lights in The Sims 2. embarrassed

Re:Is anyone still playing The Sims 1?
tomssimstuff
Extreme SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:00 am
I'll have to say that I like to play Sims 2 over Sims 1 any more, mainly because Sims 2 is much more immersive in the gameplay
plus add to that it's full 3D makes it more fun to play. Although on occassion I do fire up Makin' Magic to play with the magic stuff
until they bring that out on Sims 2.

Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:51 am
Hmmm . . . I haven't had S1 loaded or installed since last August, right before I burnt the hard drive clean and did a fresh XP install in preparation for S2. There are moments when I "pine" for S1, simply for all the things you can do with all the EPs as compared to S2 thus far, but not enough to reinstall. However I DO miss hacking objects for S1. =\

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:43 pm
Im not playing either game LOL. I just make stuff for them test the stuff out, zip them up, take pics and upload them LOL.

Im just lacking from a creative block at the moment.

Lise

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:03 pm
I had to uninstall sims 1 in order to install sims 2, so that means I haven't played sims 1 since last september. I do miss a few stuff which came with sims 1 eps (like hot date, which means I really look forward to Nightlife...) I also miss having pets...and Making Magic stuff. But, on the whole i like sims 2 better. You can get close and personal with your simmies...3D views are awsome...Complex family relations rock...

Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:42 pm
I'm playing and creating for S1. Haven't put stuff up because I've been living at my mom's.

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
blue patty
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:18 pm
Well call me the old lady on the block.. I have all the EP's and still have lots to do in them that has not been tried. Why not? Well hell, I have the rest of my life to play.. I'm retired and can do as I please. The tall one works and earns the food and electricity so I can download for my game..

My game is at 3.2GB of downloads.. It runs in 9 minutes and is perfectly content.

I have all my folders in downloads, in 199 files or less.. I have all at read only setting.. And I minimize when loading.

I play Sims1 most every day and keep it loaded, until it crashes :razz4:

Crashes are seen as a good thing to me.. I always have zip files to extract. Have to wait for the game to stop so I can then see the next extractions..

ok nuff of this.. :02:

blue patty

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:22 pm
I'll have to remember that philosophy the next time my game crashes! Hooray! Now I can start up Homecrafter or Body Shop and make something! lol

Last edited by Greg on Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

YuppieSim
Super SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:15 am
Both of my daughters (10 & 4) still play The Sims 1.. computers aren't good enough for the Sims 2. Kristen (the oldest) is really begging for an upgrade so she can play Sims 2 on hers.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:03 pm
That's a good point! When The Sims 2 first came out, we had to do some major upgrades to our systems just to run it. In fact, the machine I'm using right now--and hp pavilion mx70--can't handle The Sims 2.

I find myself wishing that we had some kind of database identifying each of the downloads and what version it's for. Then we could do a simple database query to find the relative volume of Sims 1 and Sims 2 downloads (and other games, too). Oh well, maybe some day.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:44 am
I'm playing Sims 1 at the moment, taking a break from University... Sims 1 does have far mnore to DO as I jsut said elsewhere smile

The gameplay is less demanding up to a point - I find getting anywhere with SS and MM quite hard (otherwise I play in fast mode most of the time... but I do that some of the time in S2 as well).

What I really think is best about S1 is the user addons - hacks and such - I would still like to do some hacking and there are so many fantastic things out there for S1 both hacks and recolours - and the skins! I can do things with skins and animations that my S2 simmies would think were miraculous. But even the ingame objects - f'rinstance the thing I like best in MM is the spinning wheel. That's the thing I will use first when MM install has finished, before I even put any dls in.

Mind you, a game with so many DLs is a bit unstable and I always find I need to spend ages checking when I put new stuff in. That's mostly why I moved to S2 - I've been playing pure game there with only my own downloads, and very few hacks if any.

Oh well - fires up SimEnhancer 3D and Object Manager ... here we go again...

Oh and loads and loads of the Sims 1 sites seem to have disappeared recently :dunno2: I think that's an awful pity. We have some smashing stuff for Sims 1 here on Simshost though, and that's staying! (I hope...)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:33 pm
I've noticed that, too. Many of the folks who were famous for making things for The Sims 1 seem to have slipped away from the Sims community entirely. Remember Claw, of 7DS and 8DS fame? I haven't seen hide nor hair of him in nearly a year; what there is to 8DS seems to be coming from S. M. Lust and his grunge themes.

For sites hosted by SimsHost, folks are supposed to leave the things on line for at least a year after they've been first made public, and preferably just leave them there forever. Disk space is not an issue at this point so it's better to just leave the downloads and web pages where they are.

Most of the webmasters are happy to just leave the things on line, but few have asked whether it's worth it to keep the Sims 1 things around, which might be why I started wondering about it.

The most frequently asked question from webmasters is whether it's worth it to include Sims 1 things in a redesign of the site. Recoding all those links--and sometimes uploading the goodies again--can be very time-consuming.

I'd guess that the answer is yes, based on the sparse feedback we've seen from subscribers. (As I said before, the real statistic would be in the downloads, and we just don't have the tools to determine what's popular across all of SimsHost. Webmasters might be able to track trends by looking at their individual web logs.)

Another reason to keep the web pages around is their artistic merit. Many of the sites stand on their own merits as works of art. Sure, the Mona Lisa is old and everybody has seen it or reproductions of it, but that doesn't mean we ought to recycle that old painting into fast-food wrappers.

Maybe half a dozen subscribers have dropped away because we don't have much new stuff for The Sims 1 these days. That's a small number out of the whole online Sims community (which I'd guess has dwindled to about less than 5,000 active people in total) but for every person who writes to us there are 10 or 100 who don't.

We can conclude that there are still a lot of Sims 1 fans out there; perhaps not nearly as many as in the glory days of the game, but enough to make us sit up and take notice.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:24 pm
Quote:
The most frequently asked question from webmasters is whether it's worth it to include Sims 1 things in a redesign of the site. Recoding all those links--and sometimes uploading the goodies again--can be very time-consuming.

What if you left the old pages as the "classic" site and just added new S2 pages with a link to the "classic" stuff?

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:47 pm
Well, my own :02: I prefer the Sims. I'm waiting to get my systems organized so I can start playing again.
I don't know what it is about the Sims2, but I'm not that fond of it.
Therefore, I would suggest everyone leave their Sims creations online for people like me who really favor the original game.
I know I'm not the only on who feels this way.
Whether we call them "Yesteday's Treasures", or Classics, I do believe they should remain online for those of us who prefer the Sims. :winky:

nanci2121
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:52 am
miros1 wrote:
What if you left the old pages as the "classic" site and just added new S2 pages with a link to the "classic" stuff?

Rose/Miros

Yeah, that would be a really good way to do it. When Jerry installed the latest version of his user interface on Killersims he was wondering it it were worth it to convert all his material. I suggested that he leave the old site as it was and build the new one in parallel, offering a link to "Killersims Classic." And that's what he did.

Currently the main data disks are only 39% full so we have no problem at all with hosting the extra web pages.

Is anyone still playing The Sims 1?