Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :dl: The Houstonian
:dl: The Houstonian
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:54 am
The Houstonian

The Houstonian
SimsHost subscribers can click on the image to download The Houstonian.
Warning: Large download. About 5.4 megabytes.
Residential 5x5 lot. Unfurnished. Unoccupied. No landscaping. Two upper floors not partitioned.
The file in the zip archive is '221 N Franks Ranch Road.Sims2Pack'.
$145,216
Unzip the file and then double-click on it to install in your game.
Use a clean installer to avoid game hacks.

This one was getting so big I decided to stop when I had the first floor done and packaged it up. I had to remove all the furnishings--otherwise the zip file would have been 32 MB!

The Houston features a high foundation with a full basement and attic. It has two large master suites on the first floor--one with a bathroom that even She would love--and more than enough room for another six bedrooms on the second floor.

It also features 5 balconies, patio, a porte cochere, two-car garage with a room above for the gardener, large pool, deck, and of course, a heliport.

The Houstonian -- Back Yard

I haven't play-tested this one yet, or even finished partitioning the bedrooms on the second floor. I designed this house for a large household consisting to two (very wealthy) married couples and their children.

If you download and decorate this huge property, please post screen shots! I want to see how you did it! Grin

The lot I built this on is raised in the back right-hand corner. I don't know how this will translate into your game. I took advantage of the hill to put the heliport at a higher elevation, which at least reduces the problem of the chopper's downwash blowing your deck chairs into the pool.

The first mention of The Houstonian appeared in Chapter 61 of the Tales of Happy Valley.

Last edited by Greg on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:34 pm
The Houstonian
Nursery Detail

Glass-Walled Bedroom in the Nursery

I'm still play-testing this house, and this is getting ahead of the story in Tales of Happy Valley, but here's an interesting detail. I'm using the antechamber for the back master suite for a nursery. Since we have a toddler and an infant sharing the nursery I needed a separate bedroom for the babies. Otherwise, the toddler would keep the infant up by banging on the xylophone and the infant would wake the toddler while protesting the sundry indignities of infancy.

I used Numenor's glass walls (available from MTS2) for the bedroom so that I could see what's going on in that little room even with the walls up.

The walls bulge out away from the cribs so that the door is not right in front of the cribs. Sims don't like to stand in front of doorways, which can make baby-fetching inconvenient if you crowd the cribs too much. Besides, it looks neat. Grin

The 4-Key Lockable Doors and the One-Way Arches are by Inge Jones, SimLogical. I used them to keep guests out of the private areas of the home (sims really need to read Miss Manners) and to keep toddlers out of most of the toilets.

The lockable doors can be a problem if an NPC maid or nanny stays after work and happens to be on the wrong side of them when she asks if you'd like her to hang out. They allow keyholders (or designated types of sims, depending on which version you use) as well as NPC's to pass, but no one else. This has happened several times. Once I had a nanny near death when I finally noticed that she was stuck and a maid who almost missed her final exam in college because she was stuck in the men's room.

The maid can get stuck behind the lockable doors and even starve to death back there if you don't rescue her. So, I provided the one-way arch [sic] as an escape hatch for the maid if she happens to be in visitor mode and find herself on the wrong side of the door.

So now, if she finds herself in the back master suite she can escape through the nursery. If she's stuck in the front master suite, she can get out through the study.

You could also use lockable doors and one-way arches to create selective deathtraps if you are so inclined.

Re::dl: The Houstonian
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:20 pm
Addendum: I've discovered in game play that the sims seem to prefer the one-way arch when exiting the rooms. Even if they are standing right by the doors when they decide to leave the room, they will walk over to the arch and exit that way.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:41 pm
I just realized that although I first mentioned The Houstonian in Chapter 61, the Tales of Happy Valley still haven't advanced to the scenes depicted in these screen shots.
lol

Hang in there! We've almost made it!

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:54 pm
I'm hanging in here! :whistle2:

I love this house, too! :hugs:

nanci2121
:dl: The Houstonian