Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: The Aardvarkians
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:43 pm
dmchess wrote:
Greg wrote:
Eilan continued on, blaming him, blaming Tommy Franks, blaming Jonas and Wilhemina, blaming the dean, blaming the college, blaming their parents, blaming...

Yay, an unsympathetic character! Keep it up, we're all rooting for you! *8)

... she even blamed David Chess, because of all the time she spent reading his stories on the college computers...

Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
The Aardvarkians
Chapter 23: Cyrnic's Solution

While Eilan was having such a wretched time of it, Cyrnic applied himself to improving the house and improving himself. Newspaper distribution was going so well that Perry was impressed with his talent for organizing things.

In fact, things were so well organized that Perry thought Cyrnic's position could be back-filled by a bright high-school kid. He suggested that Cyrnic consider moving up in the world.

It took just one phone call from Perry for Cyrnic to land a job as an apprentice business manager for The Pearl Construction Company. There, he learned all about balance sheets and cash flow and capitalization rates for construction equipment.

Cyrnic invested his evenings in self-improvement.

The moment he got home every evening, Cyrnic hit the books. More than anything, he wanted to complete his college degree and was determined to get back into school.

When Eilan learned that Cyrnic had sold out to the evil establishment, she was livid. How could he work for their oppressors? Better to be poor than to be a traitor to the cause!

Inwardly, Eilan found herself growing ever more resentful of Cyrnic's success in pursuing a career in business. She resented the fact that he was supporting her. She resented the fact that he could keep a job. She resented his frugality. She even resented that she had to share a bed with her brother!

The two of them grew apart. Soon the only communication between them was when one would poke the other in the middle of the night because someone was snoring.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:12 pm
The Aardvarkians
Chapter 24: Parting of the Ways

One morning, Eilan was surprised to find Cyrnic decked out in his old college grunge. She was even more surprised when he reached out and embraced her. At first this was very unsettling, but after a moment she returned the hug.

Cyrnic surprised her with a hug.

Then came the big shock.

"Farewell, sis," he said. "I've been accepted back into the university. I'll be on academic probation, but I'm going back! And this time I'll apply myself! No more Mrs. Grundy! No more pamphlets! No more hate rallies! I'm going back to school to learn!"

Eilan was in shock. Her world had become so convenient, living off of Cyrnic's income. No matter how deeply she resented it, it had provided a measure of security for her; and now that was walking out the door.

She wanted to argue with him, but couldn't find any words. She watched, wistfully wide-eyed, as he went out to take the taxi back to campus.

Cyrnic leaves for college.

She watched as the taxi drove down the hill. As her brother disappeared, lost in the morning mist that hovered over the valley, she realized that for the first time in her life, she was entirely on her own.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:23 pm
Greg wrote:
... she even blamed David Chess, because of all the time she spent reading his stories on the college computers...

*8)

Ooh, I definitely wouldn't want to be a collectivist Fortune Sim in Greg's universe (or in most other universes, probably...)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:47 pm
dmchess wrote:
Greg wrote:

*8)

Ooh, I definitely wouldn't want to be a collectivist Fortune Sim in Greg's universe (or in most other universes, probably...)

The trick to being a collectivist Fortune sim, in any universe, is to be the one who runs the collective! lol

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:57 pm
The Aardvarkians
Chapter 25: Eilan Tries Again

Unfortunately for Eilan, she was not the one who runs the collective. Still unwilling to take a job working for The Man, she tried panhandling again. She hoped that she would fare better at it now that she looked the part.

You just can't make much money with retail begging.

Maybe folks were on to her by now. At the end of the day, there was only one lonely simolean rattling around in Eilan's tin cup.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:24 pm
The Aardvarkians
Chapter 26: Eilan's Epiphany

Meanwhile, back at Happy Valley University, Cyrnic looked to see if there was space available at the old dorm. He had missed the Aardvarkians and hoped his hold friends were still there.

The luxurious room that he had shared with his sister was occupied, but by lurking around the dorm for a while, he was able to grab a room on the third floor.

Cyrnic grabbed the first available room on the third floor.

It would be quite a hike up all those stairs, but he stoically told himself that he needed the exercise.

Then came the really good news. As soon as he emerged from his new room, he found Wilhemina studying on a sofa right outside his door!

"Welcome home, stranger!" she said. "I'd heard that you were back so I thought I'd just lurk out here until you were ready to face the world!"

Cyrnic learned that all his old friends were still in school and in fact were still living in the dorm. Once again, he was an Aardvarkian!

Eilan, however, was not doing so well. Her brother had left her with a small bank account, but those funds were rapidly diminishing. She had to do something but didn't know what to do.

She even considered calling up Arabella Skye to see if she could work in her brothel, but quickly dismissed that idea. For one thing, she knew nothing at all about what those girls were selling, and more important to her, that was definitely not what she wanted to do with her life.

In desparation, she hitchhiked over to the dorm with the thought that she might wheedle some money from Cyrnic. On the ride over, she was thinking that she might even be able to convince him to move back to the cabin!

As she approached the front door of the dorm, however, she stopped short. No, she decided, this was not the right way. Cyrnic had his own life to live now, and she could no longer be a burden on him. But what was she to do?

Nought but regrets.

Eilan was despondent. She had no money, no education, no family, and no hope. Standing there in front of the dorm from which she had been ejected, she realized that there was nothing she could do that Mrs. Grundy would approve of.

Then it dawned on her.

'Why the gerbits do I give a flip what Mrs. Grundy thinks?'

That was when she realized that the old biddy had seriously worked a number on her, and she had swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker. To her credit, this time she also realized that she couldn't blame Mrs. Grundy for this.

The old bat was who she was and couldn't be anybody different. She couldn't blame her parents; they had not prepared her well for adult life, but now that she was an adult, she had no one to blame but herself.

Nobody. But. Herself.

It was a scary thought. Personal responsibility. She could do it! She could take control of her own life, if only she could figure out how!

'Well, Eilan,' she thought to herself, 'you can only start from where you are. No matter that you're not where you wanted to be. You're pretty. You have a place to live. You're pretty smart. Now, the question is how to use those assets to earn a living!'

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:48 pm
Actually this is pretty cool! hehe....the characters are really fleshed out, this is great! Looking forward to more action from my creations.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:54 pm
Liss wrote:
Actually this is pretty cool! hehe....the characters are really fleshed out, this is great! Looking forward to more action from my creations.

Yup, that's why I was avoiding this story. I felt terrible about screwing up those two characters. Obviously I was able to get Cyrnic back into college, on academic probation but still in his Freshman year, but nothing I tried with Eilan worked. Starting from there, I had to figure out what would have driven them into their predicament, especially Eilan.

Incidentally, Eilan really did gain weight in my game. I wasn't nagging her and she likes to eat, so there she is! I think she looks really cute so if she's happy, I'm happy.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:06 pm
The Aardvarkians
Chapter 27: Determination

Eilan never did visit her brother while she was on campus. Instead, she caught a ride with some kids who were headed home to visit their folks for the weekend and returned to her little cabin on the hill.

By the time she was home, she had firmly resolved not to bug Cyrnic until she could proudly tell him that she was standing on her own two feet. Thinking back on how quickly Cyrnic rose in the business world, she realized that a "crummy minimum wage job" might be just what she needed to get a foot in the door.

Eilan gets back to work.

They needed a caddy down at the local golf course. Eilan made the connection. Golf. Business people play golf. It was an opportunity to meet someone who had some serious influence here in Happy Valley. She might even pick up some interesting news by eavesdropping on their conversations while helping them chase those little white balls around the lawn.

She called the golf course. The groundskeeper said sure, he'd give her a trial run as a caddy. The car pool would be by to pick her up at four o'clock in the morning.

Four o'clock in the morning! Eilan hesitated. She could not even testify from personal experience that such a thing existed! She knew that there was a three o'clock because she had gotten home at that time, more than once. But four?

She didn't hesitate for, though. Tired as she may be, she was determined to get up on time and make a go of this new job.

And so, still groggy from her late night, she was up in time to crawl into the car when it arrived.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:32 pm
Greg wrote:
The Aardvarkians
Chapter 25: Eilan Tries Again

Unfortunately for Eilan, she was not the one who runs the collective. Still unwilling to take a job working for The Man, she tried panhandling again. She hoped that she would fare better at it now that she looked the part.

You just can't make much money with retail begging.

Maybe folks were on to her by now. At the end of the day, there was only one lonely simolean rattling around in Eilan's tin cup.

She couldn't even get any donations after that rainshower soaked her teeshirt?

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:42 pm
The Aardvarkians
Chapter 28: Il Bagno Al Fresco

Eilan struck gold on her first day at the golf course. One of the guys she was caddying for owned a gas station and needed someone to work the second shift. Yes, she could start that very night, at a much higher rate of pay.

She crashed when she got home that afternoon and grabbed what sleep she could before the car pool arrived. Then once again she was off to work.

Off to work at the gas station

Second shift wasn't her first choice for working hours, but it was a lot better than getting up at three in the morning to get ready for that ride to the golf course! But even that didn't last too long.

When she arrived at the gas station, the manager of the convenience store was having a disagreement with the day clerk. Just before the clerk stormed out the door, she overheard the manager say, "If you're not going to show up on time, then don't show up at all."

Opportunity knocks. The store manager was busily going over the daily receipts and muttering to himself. Eilan waited until he noticed her, and then inquired as to whether the store manager might need a new daytime clerk.

The manager looked up, glanced at her shirt. "Hmmm," he said, with a sly smile, "Would you be interested in earning some extra money from after hours work at night?"

"No."

"Good! You're hired! Forgive me for that, but I've had a lot of problems with floozies using this job as a way to pick up clients, so to speak. It has cost me a lot of business!"

"Oh!" Eilan said. She looked down at where his eyes were fixated on her thin undershirt. "Um, should I pick up some different clothes?"

"Oh, no, not at all!" he said. "You can advertise all you want as long as you're not selling anything that's not on the store shelves! Hey, show me your best sweet-and-innocent smile."

Eilan wasn't really sure how to do "sweet" but having had zero experience with men, she had no problem with "innocent." She smiled shyly.

"That's perfect! Just keep smiling like that and I'll raise your pay by another 20 simoleans a day and still come out ahead on the customers you'll attract! How about starting the day after tomorrow?"

"Why not tomorrow?" she asked.

"I'll cover the first shift tomorrow," he said. "Get some rest, honey! You look like you really need it!"

Long after midnight, Eilan arrived home. In her short stint working at the gas station, she had learned more than she had known there was to know about cars and how to change their oil. What she didn't learn was how to change oil without dumping the Texas tea all over herself.

She was glad it was late. The town was asleep. There was no traffic on the road, not even anything in the sky except for one of those hero guys flying over the mountains off to the west.

She really needed a shower. Unfortunately, the only shower Cyrnic had installed was tied into the plumbing for the outhouse, on the outside. The darkness and solitude gave her at least some semblance of privacy.

Garden Bath, Eilan Style

While she was digging the grime out from under her fingernails, Eilan looked out over the lights twinkling in the valley below and thought about herself. She had been too busy to spend money, so her bank account was growing. The last set of bills only added up to 79 simoleans; not bad at all. Besides, though she didn't have much money, she did have a million-dollar view from her not-so-private bath!

She washed her shorts and her job-winning tank top and left them hanging on the shower head to dry. They were the only clothes she had, but it wasn't like anybody was going to steal them! She supposed she ought to bring them inside and hang them over the kitchen sink, but she was too groggy from lack of sleep to even think about anything so complex as hanging up clothes.

In fact, she was so groggy that she'd better hurry and get to bed. She was afraid she might not make it--

She was right.

--and, as it turned it, she was right. She didn't make it.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:43 pm
miros1 wrote:
She couldn't even get any donations after that rainshower soaked her teeshirt?

Nope, but it did get her a job!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:13 pm
The Aardvarkians
Chapter 29: Unwelcome Visitor

Much to her embarrassment, Eilan was awakened from her stupor by the sound a siren. Tires screeched on the pavement in front of her house.

Another burglary foiled!

She got her brain together just in time to see a handsome policeman stuffing a burglar into the back of his squad car. Not sure whether to be delighted that the burglar had been caught or mortally embarrassed at being caught outdoors in the altogether, she opted for donning her shy-and-innocent smile while hastily donning her damp clothing.

"Oops!" she said. "I'm sorry, officer! I didn't mean to do that! Please don't arrest me for indecent exposure--"

"No problem, ma'am," the policeman said. She could just make out his first name on his badge. Dorian. "Skin isn't illegal here in Happy Valley. If you're looking for prudes, you might try up in Boveena; or visit Prof. Grundy at the college--"

"I've had quite enough of Mrs. Grundy, thank you!"

"Very well, ma'am! And thank you for installing such a good burglar alarm system!" 'Thank Cyrnic! Though I wondered why the heck we needed one at the time. We don't have anything worth stealing!' "I've been chasing ol' Gordon here all over town, and I've finally caught him. There's quite a price on his head, and you get the reward!"

'Oh yes! Thank Cyrnic!' Eilan was so excited that she surprised herself by hugging Officer Dorian. "Oh, thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

Dorian seemed a bit nonplused, but accepted the embrace for a moment. Then, "Um, ma'am?"

"Yes sir?"

"You're getting my uniform wet."

"Oops! Sorry!"

"No problem, ma'am. There's something else you should know, though."

"Yes sir?"

"Ol' Captain Hero has telescopic vision. Better'n an eagle."

"Oh. Well, I hope he enjoyed the show!"

"I sure did!" Gordon the burglar quipped. He leered at her from the back seat of the squad car. Eilan backed up a step.

Dorian leaned down and looked Gordon in the face. "You have the right to remain silent, boy, and I strongly suggest you use it!" Gordon sank down in the seat.

"So, ma'am, I think my business is done here. I'll just take ol' Gordon downtown and check him into his room. You have yourself a good evening, ma'am! And try to get some rest, ma'am. You look like you really need it!"

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:31 pm
The Aardvarkians
Chapter 30: Cyrnic Strikes Out

While Eilan was back in town discovering the wonders of motor oil and high-octane gasoline, Cyrnic was on campus. He held true to his vow to keep up with his studies, but he also needed some time for himself.

Out from under his watchful sister's watchful eye, he tried his hand at impressing girls, at the swimming pool down in the basement.

Cyrnic must be really lucky at cards!

The fourth time he went down with his tail on fire, Cyrnic began to wonder if he was doing something wrong. Oh well, those other girls were just for practice. The one he was really interested in was that most intriguing gal, Exhibita!

:story: The Aardvarkians