Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :dl: Graviton Test Facility (Download)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
:dl: Graviton Test Facility (Download)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:04 am

Graviton Test Facility
SimsHost subscribers can download this file file from The Sims 2 at SimsHost by clicking on the image.
Unfurnished to keep the file size down, but the really tricky bits are all done.
2.0 MB zip file. Unzip it and then double-click the .sims2pack file to install in your game. Use a clean installer to avoid picking up game hacks.
Most of the materials are from the original game but the download includes a few custom floor tiles and even a custom wall that you'll probaby overlook.

Graviton Test Facility
Chapter 1: The Facility

In the Bonnyview Shores topic, I mentioned the second strangest house I've ever built. That begs the question: So, what's the strangest?

This is it!

Floating three stories above its neutrino detection pool with its phased array radar constantly scanning the heavens, the Graviton Test Facility serves as both laboratory and living quarters for sims who need to feed their dual obsessions of learning how gravity works and coping with acute acrophilia.

The facility is held aloft by a patented technobabble generator powered by a geranium reactor using a gymnasium exciter core. Your sims can access it via the steps on the gantry, which was constructed on a shoestring budget from parts left over after NASA converted launch pad 39B from its Saturn V configuration to accommodate the Space Shuttle.

Steel bridge decking (custom floor that is included in the download) connects the access tower to the floating laboratory. The engineers had to add heavy control rooms made of reinforced concrete had to keep the facility from flying off on its own.
We lost so many laboratories that way!

The original facility, built in Strangetown by Miss Giselle Testbed, was lost in the bomb and Giselle has since moved on to Happy Valley where she settled down with her husband to raise a family. However, scientists in Bonnyview Shores have rebuilt it, bigger and better than ever!

The new facility has an added floor and floats even higher above the pool than the original. It is all ready for them to add interior partitions and staircases to suit their own desires, and move in.

I'll try to add some screen shots showing how I outfitted it as I go. If you install this in your game, I recommend putting the "Transporter" from DMA Sims in the house and leaving the Autogreet function turned on. That will avoid your residents having to run upstairs every time someone rings the doorbell.

Guests should discover the door at the top of the stairs as the front door to the house. When Giselle was living there, it turned out to be very playable and lots of fun!

Last edited by Greg on Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:04 pm
cool. I downloaded this (I'm a whatever-greg-builds junkie) and I'll play with it later smile

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:11 pm
TLRC is starting a sideline as a clearing house for outdated NASA equipment?

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:20 pm
miros1 wrote:
TLRC is starting a sideline as a clearing house for outdated NASA equipment?

What? Do you mean other than me?

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:28 pm
Liss wrote:
cool. I downloaded this (I'm a whatever-greg-builds junkie) and I'll play with it later smile

I'm glad you like it, Liss! Grin

I debated with myself whether to upload it as it was or to complete the interior outfitting and furnishing first. I looked at the relative file sizes for the furnished houses I've uploaded--10 MB vs. 2 MB--and that clinched it.

It still needs staircases between the lower levels of the house. And lights. And everything.

When I built the original version, the only thing I could fit into the lowest level was a bathroom. (That's level 3 in this version, the yellow part.)

Now I'm debating with myself what to do with each of the other levels. The original had the living and dining areas on the top level, then the bedroom, and finally the full bath below the bedroom. Now I have four levels to play with and it's not so obvious any more!
Grin

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:41 am
Graviton Test Facility
Chapter 2: The Principal Investigators

Zebulon and Priss Clements

Before we go on to outfitting the Graviton Test Facility, please allow me the honor of introducing you to the young couple who have just acquired it--Mr. and Mrs. Zebulon Clements!

Or, more precisely, Dr. and Dr. Clements, since they both graduated from Bonnyview Shores State University with matching PhD's in Physics.

Zeb and Priss are both quite neat, very nice, and a little shy.

Last edited by Greg on Tue May 17, 2005 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:56 am
Graviton Test Facility
Chapter 2: A Private Moment

Resting Before the Climb

After the long journey from the college, Zeb and Priss paused for a moment to rest and share a quiet moment of celebration before climbing up seven flights of stairs to the facility's entry point.

Despite their youth, they have just achieved one of their major life's goals--becoming the principal investigators of a cutting-edge Physics research laboratory. Zeb's PhD thesis Subatomic Interaction Between Carbolated Procenium and Dihydrogen Monoxide played a key role in their selection for this position, although their detractors (who lost out in the competition for the job) insist that Priss's habit of wearing thin tops without foundation garments was really the deciding factor.

Never mind what Maxis might think their life's goals are. This is my story and I have the cheat codes to prove it!

Last edited by Greg on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:20 am
Graviton Test Facility
Chapter 3: The Bus Stop

Bus Stop at the Graviton Research Facility in Bonnyview Shores

The Graviton Research Facility is a major stop for Bonnyview Shores Mass Transit, so of course it needs its own bus stop!

This is really an essential bit for game play because of all the steps. It gives a place for the sims to rest while waiting for transportation to show up. They can also hang out here and greet people as they go by on the street. It's a great way to make friends.

The bus stop is equipped with benches, the DMA Sims Teleporter (yellow), DMA Sims Appearance and Outfit Changer (red), a telephone, overhead can lights and a mirror. I had to turn move_objects on to place most of these items since they are programmed not to be placed outdoors. The Teleporter also functions as a burglar alarm that covers the entire grounds.

I'm debating whether I want to put a small restroom down here. Often it comes in handy from the standpoint of game play--and even makes sense in the context of the facility--but if I put a bathroom door down here, then visitors will interpret that door as the front door of the house.

The Teleporter's Auto-Greet feature can alleviate the problem of the residents having to dash down seven flights of stairs just to greet visitors, but having the front door down here often means that visitors never make it up the stairs.

The oleander bush was a volunteer weed, but Priss thought it was pretty and decided to mulch around it.

Those massive slabs of steel reinforced concrete might seem excessive for a bus stop, but they have an important role to play here. They absorb any secondary moron radiation coming from the neutrino detection pool.

Last edited by Greg on Tue May 17, 2005 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:29 am
Graviton Test Facility
Chapter 4: Newlyweds

Putting the Telephone on the Mirror Makes that Section of Wall Serve Double Duty
Use 'move_objects on' to do this.

Golly! Newlyweds!

I never would have thought to add privacy curtains to a bus stop!

Last edited by Greg on Tue May 17, 2005 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:20 am
Graviton Test Facility
Chapter 5: Interior Stairs

Using the Floor Tool to Spy on What's Below

Each level of the main facility is inset by two squares, so you can usually find the spot to punch holes in the floor for more stairs from that.

One of my favorite tricks is to use the floor-deletion tool as a spy scope. Zoom in close from a high viewing angle and keep the control key pressed down and snoop around. If you see the spot you want, that's great; but if you find yourself staring straight down at the neutrino detection pool, move! Your sims will not enjoy having a hole in the floor with a straight drop down seven stories! (It also would make a mess of the graviton flux and pretty much spoil the whole purpose of the laboratory, but that's a minor detail.)

An alternative trick is to just go the floor below and place a regular stair at the spot where you want the staircase to come out.

I'm using the Holy Smoke staircase throughout this facility because it fits the theme. Since that's an outside staircase it has the advantage that sims won't have to wait for the staircase to be clear before they mount the stair.

On the other hand, an outdoor requires a run of four empty squares above it whereas a regular indoor stair only needs three, so you lose a little bit more floor space to the stair and sometimes they won't fit where an interior staircase will.

Vertigo R Us!

Last edited by Greg on Tue May 17, 2005 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:13 am
Graviton Test Facility
Chapter 6: 3rd Level Bathroom

It's Not Very Private but the View from this Bathroom is Fantastic!

The staircase to Level 3--the bottom level of the main house--is going to block off one the wings and there's no way around it. All the Clementses can do in that area is store decorative items, but that's not so bad. Where else are they going to put this life-size statue of a naked lady that Priss's parents gave them for a wedding present?

This is Priss's bathroom because not much else will fit here. They considered building a small study down there, but they didn't want to have to hike up two floors to get to rest of their extensive book collection.

Besides, Priss loves the view from the bathtub and shower! She's socially shy, but definitely not body-conscious.

Level 3 Bathroom Detail

The dorm shower works out really nicely mounted against this window, with the plumbing coming right out of the window frame! Now Priss can be a voyeur and an exhibitionist at the same time!

Besides, even down here she's way up on the third floor so she figures her neighbors can't see much. She might change her mind when she learns that every one of her neighbors' houses has 16 telescopes!

Building note: You can't modify the white tile floor of this level because it is supported only by gravitons. If you tore out the floor to replace it, the building would collapse into the pool! To provide support you'd have to tear out the swimming pool, which I wouldn't recommend unless you want to get rid of pool permanently because it takes a long time to build that odd-shaped pool.

The good news is that this floor and parts of the steel grating on the access bridge are the only floors in the house that you can't modify. It would be a lot easier to modify the steel bridge--just build a six-story tower of columns underneath it.

Bathroom furnishings and plants by The Sim Republic.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:47 pm; edited 4 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:20 am
Graviton Test Facility
Chapter 7: 4th Level Bedroom

Level 4 Bedroom

Zeb and Priss had a heck of time getting that big king-size mattress all the way up to Level 7 and then back down again, but it was worth it! The warmth of their 4th-level bedroom provides the happy couple with a retreat away from the ultratech facility they live in.

Zeb is a bit more conservative than Priss. His ultra-masculine bathroom has more privacy, although he's still looking out the window when he takes a shower.

Level 4 Bedroom, Reverse View

A lockable door keeps visitors out of the Clementses' bedroom and bathrooms. It would be better, though, to have the lockable door at the top of the stairs so that visitors don't get packed up in the stairwell.

Art by Simmage.
Bookcase by The Sim Republic.
Leather chairs and bedding by The Pearl, but I don't think they are available for download yet. If anybody wants 'em, let me know.
You can download that large painting from a thread somewhre in the Hullabaloo.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:48 pm; edited 3 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:32 am
Graviton Test Facility
Intermission

The Clementses are busy checking out their new bedroom, and they sent our camera crew back upstairs to take a break. We'll be back soon with more exclusive coverage of the Graviton Test Facility! Stay tuned!

Maybe they just wanted to do an operational test of the lockable door. So, now we know it works!

Last edited by Greg on Tue May 17, 2005 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:53 am
Quote:
The Clementses are busy checking out their new bedroom, and they sent our camera crew back upstairs to take a break. We'll be back soon with more exclusive coverage of the Graviton Test Facility! Stay tuned!

You do joker so well! :rotflmao:

nanci2121
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:10 pm
Based on the the noises coming from the bedroom, I'd say the Clementses do, too--

Oh, wait! I hear them!

OK, folks, we're back again LIVE from the Graviton Research Facility in Bonnyview Shores! We're continuing our tour of the facility with Dr. and Dr. Clements, the Principal Investigators at this marvelous new laboratory.

And speaking of laboratories, let's take a look at that level!

:dl: Graviton Test Facility (Download)