Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :tutorial: NPC Repair Shop
Goto page 1, 2  Next
:tutorial: NPC Repair Shop
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:59 pm
The NPC Repair Shop

I think I've become as obsessive as Liss about fixing ugly game-generated characters.

I guess my idea of "ugly" is the trend toward bug-eyed frog faces in game-generated characters. It seems like 90% of the game-generated characters have inhumanly large mouths. I've developed the habit of keeping a Plastic Surgery Station (from The Sim Republic) and Merola's Magic Mirror (from MTS2?) in every household. Then if an ugly NPC shows up, it's a quick aspiration boost and then off to the surgeon with no questions asked!

Almost every house I've played recently has one of these now:

NPC Repair Shop
In the basement of Whiting Hall at Happy Valley University

I keep a normal mirror next to the plastic surgery so that I can have the NPC change appearance, too. That way I can put some makeup on the gals and get rid of the hideous hair styles. I'd really like to be able to override many of the hair styles that Maxis put in the game, so that they just don't show up.

Merola's Magic Mirror lets me take control of the target sim. The SimLogical Teleporter Painting brings them in if I didn't happen to just catch them wandering by.

The DMA Sims Appearance and Outfit changer (aka "COA"), coupled with Tom's Clothing Tester (from the Testing Cheats), takes care of silly clothing that I wish were not in my game. I use the COA to have the NPC buy clothing for the NPC household, and Tom's Clothing Tester to change the sim's outfit.

While I've got 'em, I usually have the NPC hit the DMA Sims Teleport for "Friend to Everybody," too. I don't use the DMA Teleport to invite sims over, though; it has a Jump Bug problem.

This message soon to appear in paperback. Movie rights are in negotiation.

Last edited by Greg on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:25 am
In Sims1, I got away from the "ugly kids" and "half the kids have the wizard hat" problems by just downloading LOTS of kids heads. That might help minimize the ugly clothes; wouldn't do much for the frog faces tho.

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:38 pm
hehe...I knew there had to be someone as bad as me, and I actually did figure it would be greg smile

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:06 am
Now what we need is for some really clever custom meshmaker and object hacker to merge the functions of all those items into one attractive, compact goodie that will fix everything!

I'm daydreaming about a variation on the surgery station, but designed to coordinate with the fancy desk instead all that plastic and metal so it doesn't look dumb in a normal house. Most of the big career reward things are too strange-looking to even qualify as Livin' Luna!

The thing in my mind's eye looks like a collision between the desk, the plastic surgery, and the clothing booth, with (more tastefully colored) control panels that look like the burglar alarm.

The presence of a computer screen and keyboard provides enough justification for most of the functions to be included in the device's pie menu.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:07 am
Another silly thing I do: Change all the elderly female college professors to Young Adult. I just don't like the body mesh for the elderly females. They don't look like anybody I've ever met.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:33 pm
You don't hang out at nursing homes... some of the screenshots I've seen are dead ringers for some of the residents at my mom's nursing home!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:42 pm
So Maxis based the elder women on people who need to be in nursing homes, eh?

Now, the good news is that Danny is planning to build the plastic surgery functions into his Appearance and Outfit Changer for his next release. That's the DMA gizmo that looks like a red burglar alarm.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:15 pm
oooo keep me posted on this. I hope it won't only be available to donators :/

Wytch's Brew
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:07 pm
Greg,

Hit Grandma up for that device you are wanting. Now that she's moved into her apartment (well, sorta) here in Austin, she will be looking for a new project. Or so she told ME anyway. hehe

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:09 pm
Liss wrote:
oooo keep me posted on this. I hope it won't only be available to donators :/

I haven't had time to check up on the latest at DMA Sims (www.valdea.com) but at least I know that the COA has always been part of the basic set and Danny hasn't said anything about changing it.

Marmy wrote:
Hit Grandma up for that device you are wanting.

That's a good idea! I think it's just a matter of attracting her attention to this thread.

Last edited by Greg on Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Re::tutorial: NPC Repair Shop
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:50 pm
Addendum: We've learned in subsequent game play that Tom's Clothing Tester is not safe to use. It can mess up your sim's career path even if you don't use the career clothing. Use a locker or chest of drawers instead.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:23 pm
I thought I saw somewhere that someone had made a no-fail plastic surgery kit. Has anyone else seen this or am I hallucinating?

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:31 am
Danny built a plastic surgery option into the Clothing and Appearance Changer ("COA"; looks like a red burglar alarm). It never fails, and you can do plastic surgery on anybody on the lot. You no longer need Merola's Mind Control mirror or the normal mirror if all you want to do is fix up ugly sims.

In fact, with Danny's tools alone, you can change a visiting sim's face, appearance, and clothing. If the sim's household doesn't have the clothes you want, then you can use Merola's Mind Control mirror to select the sim and buy the clothes for the household, again using the DMA COA.

I still have that same wall arrangement almost every house: yellow thing, mind control mirror, red thing, and teleporter painting. I use it especially in the dorm to advance NPC students along on their college careers. I even have maids, cooks, and college professors going to class and doing homework and taking finals!
lol

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:28 am
Cross-reference: I posted a note about this subject in this thead at Variousimmers.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:00 pm
I just saw a note in that thread at Variousimmers that says you can use the inSIMinator to change elders to normal adults. Is that true?

I've been disappointed that the Tombstone of Life and Death now only offers the option to Set Age Young Adult, while before University you could change a sim to any age.

I just might have finally found a reason to install the inSIMinator, which could become especially important now that SimPE corrupts character files.

:tutorial: NPC Repair Shop