Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Sextuplets Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Ryann
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:16 am
I just finished this challenge.

I didn't really struggle with it. I'm pretty used to multiple babies since I've raised five sets of triplets and probably dozens of sets of twins already.

I started out with six toddlers, one adult female, and one teen female. I gave them a 2x2 lot and didn't use any money cheats. The toddlers learned all skills and grew up in platinum. All of them got at least 6 skill points. Even the teen managed to do pretty well, with a B in school, learning to study, and three skill points.

The trick to raising more than one toddler is not to over-pamper them. It's okay if their needs drop into the red, as long as it's not enough to get them taken away. Also, Smart Milk is your best friend, otherwise it is impossible to teach them anything. Teach skills until the toddler can't take anymore. The worst mistake to make is to try assembly-line teaching, where you teach a skill to one toddler then go on to the next, and so on. Teach one at a time as much as they can be taught. Usually you can teach either Walking or Talking and then immediately Potty.

The toddler stage is one of my favorites, but six is just too many. I didn't get to enjoy these little guys at all. That's probably the best reason not to have that many at a time.

I wouldn't say my family was completely hack free. I used the endless buffet patch, which is a time saver since they get filling food without having to cook it. I only got it for them in the third day. The first two days they lived on pizza. I also used a multitude of hacks that fix glitches, which I guess doesn't affect gameplay, but makes the game easier for the player. :razz4:

http://www.geocities.com/kissofthedragonfly/webentry_0f8a57ec.xml.htm
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:55 am
Wow! I didn't think it could be done! :dropjaw:

I see your point about not teaching skills like an assembly line. By focusing on one child at a time you take advantage of having the child's attention and you don't waste any smart milk.

I think the most heroic part is not using any money cheats. I wouldn't have dreamed that it was possible to get them all the way to childhood without gifts from Aunt Rosebud, so I didn't even try!

Those sims are adorable! It was really clever to make them cat people--it sort of justifies having a litter of that size!
:baby: :baby: :baby: :baby: :baby: :baby:

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:58 am
Addendum: How did you get a 2x2 lot? The smallest lot I have in my game catalog is 3x2, and I've always wanted a 2x2 to fill in the odd corners.

Ryann
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:49 am
Greg wrote:
Addendum: How did you get a 2x2 lot? The smallest lot I have in my game catalog is 3x2, and I've always wanted a 2x2 to fill in the odd corners.

2x2 lots were (for some stupid reason) not included in the lot bin by Maxis, but they do exist. Basically, there are several of them in Pleasantview, and the easiest one to use is the otherwise-useless cabin in the woods. You clear the lot completely, then move it to the bin (the houses bin). After that, you can use it. It costs only 1750.

You can download a cleared 2x2 lot off the www.sims2.com Exchange. Just do a search for "2x2" and make sure it's hack-free and has the correct price. Install as usual. It will appear in the houses bin.

Of course, as you know, houses vanish from the bin the second you put them down. But there is a way to use that 2x2 lot as often as you like. Simply open My Documents\Ea Games\The Sims 2\ and right-click the folder called LotCatalog. Check (you may have to uncheck and then check again) the box that says "Read Only" which is under the sub-heading Attributes. Click the APPLY button. Select "Apply to folder and all files." Click Okay to exit the box. You can do all of this while the game is running! No need to exit. After doing this, you can use the lot as often as you want, and it won't vanish from the bin. Neither will any other house. They will be moved to the end of the list each time you use them. If you ever install any new house or move a new house to the bin, you will have to do the whole process over because the gamen will wipe Read Only from the folder.
Ryann
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:53 am
Greg wrote:

I think the most heroic part is not using any money cheats. I wouldn't have dreamed that it was possible to get them all the way to childhood without gifts from Aunt Rosebud, so I didn't even try!

Those sims are adorable! It was really clever to make them cat people--it sort of justifies having a litter of that size!

I've caved now that they're children. I gave them two kachings so the poor things could get some toys.

Aren't they so cute? When I found that hair, I was in instant love. And then I tried it with freckles and that odd eyeliner from Parsimonious, and they really did look cat-like.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:15 am
Greg wrote:

Um, is Greg reading a different version of the Hullabaloo than I am? I don't see a picture. (And I want to, lol)

Congratulations Ryanne

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:25 am
Rose, go to the URL that Ryann posted in her first note:
http://www.geocities.com/kissofthedragonfly/webentry_0f8a57ec.xml.htm

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:30 am
Ryann wrote:
Greg wrote:

2x2 lots were (for some stupid reason) not included in the lot bin by Maxis, but they do exist. Basically, there are several of them in Pleasantview...

Aha! I've never played in Pleasantview so after all this time I was unaware that 2x2 lots existed! Silly me.

Here's another trick for making permanently-available lots: In the Dorms, Dorms, Dorms! topic, Carrot said that if you put a lot in the templates bin...

\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\LotTemplates

... and rename it to YourChosenName_Permanent.package, the game won't delete the lot from the templates bin when you put it in your game. I'll try packaging up a lot from Pleasantview and then installing it elsewhere, clearing it, and then copying it to the LotTemplates folder and see what happens!

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Addendum: Rats. I tried the _Permanent procedure. The 2x2 lot shows up in the college under Specialty Lots, but not in the main Neighborhood.

Oh well, at least this means it works for building lots of lots for small college abodes!

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:43 pm
Thanks for the link! I guess I shouldn't read posts with a migraine.

I see off-campus housing in your Sims college future...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:36 pm
Ryann, this is great! I loved seeing the family and reading about them. I have trouble with twins, so I would never try it with sextuplets!! I think I want to nurture too much to spread it so thin. lol

I'm also glad you added the "shopping list" at the end! I was wondering where you had gotten some of those things....hehe

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:38 am
Hmmm . . . has anyone tried hiring more than "one" Nanny?

If not, try that and report back . . . just make sure you have a fire alarm AND a sprinkler in the kitchen. :winky: lol

I'll have to make a note in the Dorms Dorms Dorms post about that regarding "only" specialty lots for college campuses. Sorry about that Greg! :gah:

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~

* I just MAY have to give this challenge a try *
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:35 am
At the moment, I can't get the nanny to get out of her van. She just sits there in the van, with her driver, until I turn on move_objects and delete the van.

This must be due to some game hack I have installed but I have no idea which one might be the culprit.

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:38 am
Either that or she's afraid of the laborious chores you have waiting for her and is just too afraid to get out of the van.
I've heard rumors that they think you're a slave driver! :razz4:

nanci2121
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:57 pm
Nancy wrote:
Either that or she's afraid of the laborious chores you have waiting for her and is just too afraid to get out of the van.
I've heard rumors that they think you're a slave driver! :razz4:

LOL :veryhappy2:
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:56 pm
What? A nanny would be afraid of sextuplets?

Sextuplets Challenge