Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Sextuplets Challenge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Sextuplets Challenge
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:36 pm

The Broadleafs and Their Sextuplets

I decided to play an April Fools' Day joke on my sims and give them sextuplets!

I'm trying to find a way to play a family that starts with six toddlers without resorting to any cheat codes. Or, failing that, finding the minimum nunber of cheats required, with the additional goal of using cheats that make sense in the context of the story.

So far I haven't found it possible to play this family with no cheats at all. One that does seem to make sense is a tap or two on the motherlode. In real life a family that has sextuplets would make international news, and that publicity is an opportunity for them to be showered with gifts and cash.

But, even with an infinite amount of money, I haven't found a way to keep up with the toddlers needs without resorting to every cheat code in the book!

Anybody wanna try this? Anybody got ideas for how to make it work? Grin

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:47 pm
oh my god you are the brave one lol...I can't even imagine keeping up with six sims of ANY age, let alone toddlers. Give me a couple weeks to think on it LOL...

*1 hour later*

bah ok I'll do it!

I'm gonna build the house first so I know how much money I have to cheat with LOL...

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:49 pm
Ok here's my family. Meet the Sextons:

Mom Zoe, Dad Abe, kids Misty, Christy, Trista, Tristan, Christian and Matthew.

I gave them 3 motherlodes, 25k for each kid. That sounded fair and semi-realistic to me. Now I suppose they want a house to live in. So demanding!

Here's the house I built. Very basic, with everything needed for babies. Of course it can be upgraded to accomodate children and teens down the road. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll put it up as a free download.

Wytch's Brew
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:25 pm
Ok Greg, you were cruel to get me into this LOL...let me be the first to say that this is *impossible* without cheating (refreshing everyone). The babies' social dropped too fast, and they were all hungry and tired and had to pee, and I gave up after about 10 minutes LOL!!!!!!!

I am thinking I might age them all to children and go from there. However, I may be able to get through toddlerhood if I use the refresh cheat.

Wytch's Brew
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:57 pm
Um, don't you know by now that most of Greg's "challenges" are freaking impossible?

Rose/Miros
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:01 am
miros1 wrote:
Um, don't you know by now that most of Greg's "challenges" are freaking impossible?

Rose/Miros

Yup, that just about sums up the story of my life! lol

I've hired every servant in sight and still can't make it work without refreshing everybody. I found that the babysitter NPC from DMA Sims was a negative factor--she interferes with getting important things done.

Of course it's just not possible for the parents to go to work. In real life, if you need to earn money you could hire a team of two or three babysitters who would take care of the children.

The other major departure from real life is that sim toddlers cannot interact with each other, and don't seem to know that each other exist except as an object in their path.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:19 am
BTW, I told Scotty you controlled your Trollops with the espresso machine. He said a frozen margarita machine might work better!

In case you're wondering what this has to do with this thread... Go to the T&J site and see who owns the pre-HD all-time record! <points at Greg> And there ain't nobody crazy enough to even try to break that record!

Rose/Miros
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:44 am
Liss wrote:
Ok here's my family. Meet the Sextons:

I gave them 3 motherlodes, 25k for each kid. That sounded fair and semi-realistic to me. ...

Yeah, that seems reasonable. I'm sure someone with sextuplets would receive at least that much help from people around the world. Given the opportunity, humans are a charitable species.

Liss wrote:
Here's the house I built. Very basic, with everything needed for babies. Of course it can be upgraded to accomodate children and teens down the road. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll put it up as a free download.

That's pretty neat! With that big bedroom wing you're set up for factory-line processing of the children. It looks like the room sizes are perfect so that you can give each child a private room with a private bathroom as they all grow up. There's even space for a desk for homework and maybe even an easel.

(I tend to put easels at the foot of beds. It helps me keep track of which belongs to who. Also, when sims are getting sleepy but not yet ready for bed I can put them to working developing their creativity and then send them right to the sheets when it's time nod off.)

On my first try I had one potty and changing table per child. Then I realized that with only two adults in the house I couldn't use more than two changing tables.

I also reduced the number of potties. Until they are potty-trained, you can only use one potty per adult. Even after the kids are potty-trained it's not likely that all six toddlers will need to use the potties at the same time.

Hmm... I'll make some screen shots of the Broadleaf house and post 'em here in just a minute.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:49 am

Broadleaf House - Designed for Sextuplets

Here they are! The Broadleafs are sitting on the floor in exactly the same position they were in when I snapped the picture for the April 1, 2005 SimsHost Chronicle.

Note the "Teen Helpers" asleep in the next room. As my frustration rose, I thought it might help to have a couple of teens around to help keep up with the toddlers. I got past their initial teen yearnings by pairing them off the moment they showed up. Then I took the cheap way out in providing them with bedrooms--I just threw them into bed together. (Have I ever mentioned that I have no shame?)

The teens also appear in the April Fools' Day Chronicle. They are the couple with the clock. In this screen shot, they haven't taken a breath since I snapped the clock picture!
lol

Teenagers were probably not a good idea. The burdens of school, homework, and their social lives don't leave a lot of time for helping with the babies. So they've turned out to be just an additional game-play burden.

The bedroom wing hallway is guarded by a Sim Logical Targetable Door, locked against toddlers. That keeps the toilets out of reach. This causes some problems when servants or visitors decide to give the babies a bath. Despite the easy available of two tubs in the Baby Wash, they seem to prefer to use the more expensive shower-tub.

So it's possible to have a toddler stuck on the wrong side of the baby lock. When that happens I just send one of their parents to fetch them.

Visitors have proved to be extremely helpful, far more so than NPC's. The blonde lady in the blue dress is the famous She, the social monarch of Happy Valley. I'm experimenting with sextuplets in a different neighborhood, but She and Gregsim have clones here because they came in with Manse Orleans.

She, Gregsim, and another visiting local sim have been a godsend. They spontaneously help feed the kids, play with them, bathe them, and put them to bed. And they do these things an order of magnitude better than the babysitters from either EA or DMA Sims. (I suspect that Danny cloned the BHAV functions from the EA Nanny for his version. I'll gig him about that in his forum.)

All the really helpful sims are Family-motivated with very high niceness ratings. I wrote some notes about that in the thread about Nanny Woes. The only problem is that they put a high priority on getting tired children into bed, which tends to result in potty-training accidents. Once potty-trained, toddlers are very unhappy about needing a diaper change.

Asleep in the Servants' Quarters are the full compliment of Danny's NPC's. The household manager keeps the bills paid and makes sure the maid and gardener do their work. She also helps with the kids and cooks meals when everyone is getting hungry. The maid and gardener maintain the place, with the assistance of the ubiquitous EA maid, Lucy Hanby. I don't think the beleaguered parents would have any hoping of coping with the kids without them. The parents have no time to develop their skills or time to use them even if they could.

As it is, all six kids are now potty-trained so the parents now have lots more time to invest in snuggles and playing with the toddlers.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:04 am

Bonnyview Shores - My Experimental Neighborhood

I thought you might be amused by a picture of my newest experimental neighborhood, Bonnyview Shores. I originally created this neighborhood as a place to import houses to prepare them for download.

I started out with some founding members of the community. Then I imported Manse Orleans and moved the Bennett family in with the founders. I had to split up the family because the Manse Orleans was full, but at least this allowed me to move the family out while leaving all the furnishings in place.

This neighborhood quickly became the laboratory for strange experiments, but as we might expect, Bonnyview Shores is beginning to take on a life of its own. Experimental families are the catalyst. Each new family adds a bit more to the story of social life in the community.

I'm tempted to rebuild Giselle's Floating House here just to permanently establish Bonnyview Shores as the Officially Weird Neighborhood, so that I don't become too interested in attempting to make it a realistic community.

The occupied street here is named Franks Ranch Road because I didn't want to change the address of Manse Orleans when I imported it. That helps me keep track of the packaged houses. Of course, that one house established the lot numbers for the entire neighborhood.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:11 pm
I'm so traumatized by my first attempt I don't know if I can even face this family again LOL!!!!!
I'm going to cheat through with the refresh cheat and see if I can at least establish relationships between babies and parents. I may have to break down and use the house NPCs though.
I don't like the babysitter anyway, all she ever does in my houses is play the piano *hrrmmph*

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:25 pm
Get the Mind Control Mirror. Then you can select the babysitter and to her to get to work! Grin

With lots and lots and LOTS of cheats I've managed to get all the toddlers potty-trained and half of them are walking around now. I decided to turn aging off and just have fun with it. It's kinda neat to have all the li'l toddlers toddling around the house.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:32 pm
I just realized that I never showed you the Broadleaf House with the walls up, so here we go!

Broadleaf House

Architecturally, it ain't bad. Not great, but not bad. I figure a big family needs a big front porch where they can sit on summer evenings and wave at the neighbors as they go by.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:38 pm
I caved and grew them up to children. I'm weak!

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:04 pm
That's another way to to do it! lol

Sextuplets Challenge