Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
:story: Tales of Happy Valley
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:05 am

Threads in Tales of Happy Valley

Chapter 1: The Franks Family
Chapter 2: The Bennett Family
   Chapter 5: The Bennetts' Personalities
Sidebar: DMA Sims Workers and Hookers
tutorial How to Change Appearance with SimPE
Chapter 6: Another Baby Bomb Goes Off
Chapter 7: A Visit to the Broadleaf Sextuplets
Chapter 8: How to Win Friends and Influence Cows
   The Cow Revealed!
Chapter 9: Manse Orleans, the Collegiate Edition
Chapter 11: The Allardice Girls
Chapter 14: The Tragic Tale of Jason Allardice
Chapter 15: It's a Boy! Barry Bennett
Chapter 16: Giles Edward Bennett
Chapter 20: Frieda
Chapter 25: Barry's First Bottle
Chapter 28: Of School and She
Chapter 29: Hymnus Angelicus (Gloria)
Chapter 32: The Bennetts Go To College
Chapter 34: Manse Collegium
Chapter 35: Maintaining the Family Tree
Chapter 36: Private Quarters
Chapter 39: Transportation Strike
Chapter 40: Honey, We Have A Problem
Chapter 41: Barry's Dilemma
Chapter 46: The Nanny
Chapter 48: Barry Meets His Grandparents
Chapter 50: Introducing the Schuylers
Chapter 53: Hitting The Books
Chapter 54: Barry and the Baybraces
Chapter 57: Caught Again!
Chapter 60: Fantastic Fledgling
Chapter 61: Strategic Planning
Chapter 62: A Day That Will Live in Infancy
Chapter 63: The Graduates
Chapter 68: Return to the Manse, Triumphant
Chapter 70: Mysterious Scotsman
Chapter 72: The World According to She
Chapter 76: Last Act of Tyranny
Appendix: A Psi is Just a Psi
Chapter 77: Transitions
Chapter 79: Overqualified for Everything
Chapter 80: Barius Vobiscum
Inset: A Theme Song for Happy Valley
Chapter 81: Brain Food
Chapter 84: Roundup at the Franks Ranch
Chapter 88: Steamy Showers
Chapter 89: Pancakes and Power Politics
Chapter 90: The Case of the Inobservant Hero
Chapter 91: A Voice From the Past (Monica)
Chapter 97: Great Expectations
Chapter 98: Oogenesis of a Statesman
Chapter 99: Shebacize!
Chapter 100: Alcedonia Domesticus
Chapter 101: Gilbert
Chapter 103: Move to the Manse
Chapter 109: The Longest Journey...
Chapter 110: Conner Forsythe
Chapter 111: Doing What Children Do
Chapter 112: Another Hero
Chapter 113: Family Council
Chapter 117: Expanding Their Territory
Chapter 118: Sisters Forever
Chapter 122: Rejuve!
Chapter 128: The Vigil
Chapter 131: Catching Up With the Collegiates
Chapter 133: The Gilbert Committee
Chapter 137: Gilbert at the Big U
Chapter 138: Teens and Toddlers and Tiny Tikes
Chapter 139: Maids on Campus
Chapter 140: Sunrise, Sunset...
Chapter 141: The New Collegians
Chapter 142: For the Love of Zeke (Evangeline)
Chapter 154: Queen of All She Surveys
Chapter 155: Evangelical Dawn
Chapter 156: Grampa Oatha
Chapter 157: Cally's Conundrum
Chapter 159: Six Score and Ten
Chapter 160: Whatever Became of Baby Barry?
Chapter 165: Kicking Them Out of the Nest
Chapter 166: A Tale of Two Houses
Chapter 167: Amarilla Does Sheik Omar
Chapter 168: Monica in Motion
Chapter 169: Again, Family Council
Chapter 170: One for the Money! Two for the Show!
Chapter 173: Gilbert's Story
Chapter 174: Great Great-Grandparents
Chapter 175: Busybodies
Chapter 179: Roissy
Chapter 181: Passion and the Pool Table
Chapter 182: Aaron's Advance
Chapter 183: The Feel of Your T.U.C.H.
Chapter 196: Suburban Sprawl
Chapter 200: New Family in the Old World
Chapter 205: Ripples From The Bomb
Chapter 212: Again, Dangerous Compulsions
Chapter 222: Boveena Bridge
Chapter 223: Strategic Planning
Chapter 228: Vectors
Chapter 233: Transuniversal Yearnings
Chapter 235: Irvin
Chapter 236: Advent of the Overlord
Chapter 237: Sheba's Excellent Adventure
Chapter 238: Eyes of the Overlord
Chapter 239: The Map
(The region around Happy Valley)
Chapter 240: The Tribune
Chapter 249: Meadow's Collegiate Adventure
Chapter 264: Bernadette
Chapter 265: The Tellermans' Neighborhood
Chapter 268: Narcissa at the Bridge
Chapter 272: Dream a Little Dream of Karen
Chapter 274: Narcissa Tries Again
Chapter 276: The Innocent Maid
Other Stories About People and Places in Happy Valley
The Bomb That Wiped Out Happy Valley
Gregsim in My Sim - Myself
Sim has a job but her ride doesn't show up in Sims 2 Bugs & Patches
Narcissa (Brenda's Mother)
Ghost Stories
The Llama and The Cow
The Aardvarkians

Links to Topics with Downloads

Topics with Downloads from Happy Valley
My Favorite House
  Download: Manse Orleans
  Also the Invasion of the Hookers story
223 N Franks Ranch Road
  Download: Toddulaunga House
215 S Happy Valley Road
  Download: Stewart House
Kilimanjaro
  Download: Kilimanjaro House
Manse Collegium
  Download: Manse Collegium
The Houstonian
  Download: The Houstonian (House)
Goddard Engineering Building
  Download: Campus Building
Kilimanjaro
  Download: House
Sheba Steps Out
  Download: She
Greg Goes Adventuring
  Download: Greg

Topics with Downloads from Other Adventures
The Thing in the Attic
  Download: The House of Too Many Gables
More About Basements
  Download: 16 Stripes Measuring Wall
Graviton Test Facility
  Download: Unusual Home
Stonewood Cottage
  Download: House
2x2 Empty Lot
  Download: Very Small Empty Lot

Clothing and Skin Tones
Better Living Through Chocolate
  Download: Crop Top
Fun With Tan Lines
  Download: Tanned Skin Tone
The Return of Tan Lines
  Download: Another Tanned Skin Tone
Wilhemina's Sexy Top Collection
  Download: Women's Tops
Wilhemina's Blue Blouse and Capris
  Download: Women's Everyday Outfit
Inga's Knit Shorts
  Download: Tan Knit Shorts
Inga's Pink Shorts
  Download: Women's Shorts (Bottoms)
Inga's Civ II Crop Top
  Download: Women's Top and Matching Shorts
Inga's Topless Swimsuit Collection
  Download: Women's Topless Swimsuits
Bast's Bikini
  Download: Women's Swimsuit

Topics with downloads should have the symbol in the message subject.

With so many stories about my game fragmented all over the Hullabaloo, I thought it was about time to start a thread that puts the whole story together! So we'll start with an answer to Liss's note:

Liss wrote:
hehehe....I love your stories as much as your houses. I go through my sims pics and go "huh? what was that about, I can't remember" LOL!!!!!!!!

I finally quit taking pictures except for my Legacy family, which I integrated into my alpha neighborhood, so they are technically no longer my legacy family, as I have associated them with player characters and used mass cheats LOL...Legacy challenge is just not for me I guess.

When I got to the point that I had too many characters to keep track of in my head, I started an Excel spreadsheet that lists just about everything there is to know about a given character. I've even been toying with the idea of writing a plugin for SimPE that will display the characters' stories in a better integrated fashion; or maybe even a stand-alone application.

I've found that it's important to me that my game have a consistent overall story, even from one neighborhood to the next. It's a lot like writing slice-of-life fiction, albeit for an audience of one.

So, that said, I'll get on with documenting the triumphs and tragedies of the people of Happy Valley; and just maybe then I'll have an audience of two!

Edit 3/31/2005: Added Links to Related Topics
Edit 5/11/2005: Added links to threads in Tales of Happy Valley
Edit 5/20/2005: Added Manse Collegium
Edit 6/17/2005: Updated links to chapters of Tales of Happy Valley and added chapter numbers
Edit 7/29/2005: Updated list of downloads and added more links to chapters of the story
Edit 12/5/2005: Updated table of contents
Edit 7/12/2006: Updated table of contents through Chapter 276

Last edited by Greg on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:43 pm; edited 44 times in total

The Franks Family
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:48 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 1: The Franks Family

When I first started playing, I was messing around in Strangetown and became enamored with Ophelia Nigmos. She's the poor girl who is living with her doomed-to-die die aunt at the mausoleum. You've probably met her--dark skin, blonde hair, totally gorgeous; and very nice.

I wanted to rescue Ophelia from her plight so that's when I created the three Franks Brothers. I figured she was bound to hit it off with one of those boys. She ended up marrying Tommy Franks and thus was born the Franks family.

The Frankses

Like 90% of my characters, the Frankses are all Family sims. I like to play family sims because they have the least neurotic aspirations.

Tommy Franks (blue shirt) is married to Ophelia Nigmos (kneeling). They have one teenage son, Tommy Jr (gray shirt with orange stripe).

Bobby Franks (getting smooched) married Lorna Geieffies (red coat). They don't have any kids yet because the household is full. Bobby is a general in the army. Lorna is a doctor.

Carl Franks (purple sweater) married Donna Powers (another purplish sweater). They have one teenage son, Carl Jr (red shirt).

The Frankses were my viewpoint characters for a long time. When I first created Happy Valley, I made a copy of Franks Ranch from Strangetown and imported the whole family (three brothers, their wives, and two sons) into Happy Valley.

Two generations of Frankses later, they had become the most influential social and political force in Happy Valley. Every time I added a new family, I befriended them to someone in the Franks family as quickly as possible, so everybody was friends with them.

The later generations were lost when the bomb hit, but I was able to rescue the family as you see it here from a previous backup. So their story starts anew at the point where Happy Valley was first created.

Incidentally, they earned most of that $8,953,173 in their bank account. All the adults were well along in their careers before they started making babies back when they were living in Strangetown. They also acquired considerable chunks of wealth through matrimony -- Donna and Lorna both come from very wealthy families and brought fabulous amounts of money with them.

Nowadays, Bobby and Lorna are the only adults who still have jobs. Tommy Jr and Carl Jr are also both working, well past earning their Overachiever rating.

You might recognize many of the lots visible in this screen shot. North is to the upper right in the picture.

If you follow Franks Ranch Road up to its north end, you'll see Manse Orleans where Gregsim lives with his family at 229 N Franks Ranch Road.

Next door to Manse Orleans is the Toddulaunga House at 223 N Franks Ranch Road.

Walk one block north and one block east from the Franks Ranch and you'll come to Downtown Happy Valley. The entrance to the main downtown lot is at 101 N Happy Valley Road. Main Street and Happy Valley Road are the dividing lines between north and south, and east and west, respectively.

From that point I use a consistent lot-numbering scheme throughout, counting one lot square as one house number. Even numbers are west and south side of the street; even numbers on the north and east. So if a 3-square lot is at 100 N Happy Valley Road, the next lot to the north would be three even numbers up from there at 106 N Happy Valley Road.

Next to the (i) symbol in the Franks family window is the Stewart house at 215 S Happy Valley Road. You can download it from this message. That's in the thread entitled Sim has a job but her ride doesn't show up in the Sims 2 Bugs & Patches forum.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:46 pm; edited 4 times in total

The Bennett Family
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:02 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 2: The Bennett Family

If you drive all the way up Franks Ranch Road to its North end, you come to Manse Orleans, the home of Gregsim and his family.

The Bennett Family at Manse Orleans, as of March 28, 2005

Again, the Toddulaunga House is right next door at 223 N Franks Ranch Road.

Right next to the (i) in the Bennett Family window is the home of Gregsim's maternal grandparents, the Cramers at 201 N Happy Valley Road. It's as close as I can remember to my real-life grandparents' home in Martinsville, Indiana. I'm still working on the Cramer Machine Shop where my grandfather and Uncle Bill made bell housings for Allison aircraft engines during World War II. I'm still working on the machine shop in my game so Hirohito's evil hordes will just have to wait a while before our boys blow them out of the sky. (Time is a slippery concept in The Sims!)

From the Cramer House, walk two blocks down Hammond Steet and make a left turn, northbound on Cherry Street. The first lot is the home of my sister Joyce and her husband, Dr. Jay Van Cura. I haven't built their house yet; they just got married. In real life, they've been married a long time and live happily in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois.

Then continue north past the home of three of the Baybrace girls and you'll find a large brick house with lots of gables. That's Gregsim's original home at 213 N Cherry Street, still occupied by his parents and his paternal grandparents.

Gregsim's big brother, Ralph Jr, married a girl named Beryl Baybrace and built the house right across the street at 212 N Cherry Street. (Ralphie's real-life wife is named Sylvia and they live in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania; but sim Ralphie really, really wanted to marry the girl next door before I created a sim for Sylvia so I indulged his sim whim. Besides, I wanted to get him out of the house!) They don't have any kids yet but Beryl is knocked up.

Gregsims's younger sister Jana is engaged to Roger Stewart (the name of her real-life husband). I mentioned their house in the previous message about the Franks family. This whole adventure of preparing houses for download started when Liss wanted the Stewart House. With a little luck (and perhaps some tweaking of the game if I can figure out how), Jana and Roger will produce my nephews Jarrod and Jaden, but I still haven't played their wedding yet!

In real life, Roger is a deputy sherriff in Sangamon County, Illinois and Jana is an RN in the intensive care ward at the hospital there; but just next week Jana will be moving to San Antonio, Texas to take a nifty job there. Roger will be along as soon as he gets Jarrod out of school and closes up the house near Springfield, Illinois. Real-life Jaden is in the Air Force, serving his country "in the Middle East." Jarrod graduates this year and is already committed to going into the US Navy. If there is an uncle more proud of his nephews than I, I have yet to meet him.

Last edited by Greg on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:41 am; edited 4 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:26 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 3: The Bennett Family Tree

The only way to keep track of the rapidly growing Bennett Family is to show you the family tree, so here it is!

Gregsim's Family Tree as of March 28, 2005

Obviously, the family tree departs rather dramatically from real life when we get to Gregsim.

I tried to depict real-life members of my family as best I could in The Sims. My real-life maternal grandparents both had darker hair all their long lives, but I'm limited in what I can do with elders. On the other hand, real-life Joyce has been a blonde for most of her adult life, and now that she's out of the house, that's something I can fix! Grin

My brother and two sisters are based on real-life people and She bears an uncanny resemblance to Alexander's real-life mother, Melva, but beyond that point we're venturing into fantasyland.

Edit: No change to the text of this message but the image has been updated to add Sabrina.

Last edited by Greg on Fri May 13, 2005 1:06 pm; edited 3 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:25 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 4: Be Fruitful and Multiply

Now, with a family tree at hand, this family portrait might make a little more sense.

The Bennett Family at Manse Orleans, Again

While She (blue dress) was still a child, Gregsim had a thing with Her Aunt Winona (brown dress). He was practically living at their house. I wanted to see how long I could keep him visiting there without ever going home. His stay was up to seven straight days when She grew up to be a teenager and exercised Her territorial rights.

One night while he was staying with her, Winona wanted to fool around. I blundered when clicking on the Woohoo link and sure enough, along came the twins, Sandra and Wanda! Sandra is holding baby Alexander and Winona is holding Amanda.

Brenda (red shirt and shorts) made her first appearance in this message in the thread about My Favorite House, where you can download Manse Orleans. She is the daughter of Narcissa Sapphos, who had no interest at all in raising her. As they say, Click in haste; repent in leisure. You can learn more about her mother in the topic just about Narcissa.

Gregsim's fourth woods colt, Constance Willows, was actually intentional. Her mother, Cordelia Willows had some strange aspirations. She wanted to woohoo with Gregsim and wanted to have a baby, but feared getting engaged or married. So of course the fool obliged her.

When Cordelia got knocked up I thought it best to change her aspiration to Family. Sure enough, then she wanted to get married, but the target of her matrimonial desires was not Gregsim but rather the elderly (and very wealthy) Samuel Willows, proprietor of the Willows Morningside Cemetery in Happy Valley.

Baby Constance makes a cameo appearance inside a very pregnant Cordelia in this image...

The Willows Family

... in the Ghost Stories topic.

These peculiar events might have happened because of the way I created Cordelia. Originally she was an elder, married to Samuel and the mother of Brian Willows. While playing around with the Tombstone of Life and Death at the cemetery, I changed her to a teenager and she became unwired from her marriage to Samuel. I think she started sim life with the Fortune aspiration but I might have blundered and made her a Romance sim.

I used the TOLAD to force her to grow up to adulthood, whereupon she became obsessed with Gregsim. Her relationship with him was actually much higher than her relationship with Samuel. However, when I changed her to a Family sim she remembered something about her former marriage to Samuel and their son Brian, and sent Gregsim packing.

Or maybe it was all due to living in a cemetery and getting spooked every night.

Anyhow, Cordelia's desires were just as well because all this happened just about the time She decided to put a padlock on Gregsim's zipper and keep the key for Herself!
Grin

Jump to Chapter 5: The Bennetts' Personalities

This link jumps past the discussion.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:24 am; edited 10 times in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:20 pm
Actually when I first started playing, I had loads of pictures of Connor and Pilar, the alpha couple of Alpha Plain (formerly known as Pleasantview). But with my several reinstalls and neighborhood resets, I now can't find any of the older pictures. The only ones I have now are after they are long dead.

They had 5 children together and one alien child, making a total of 6. Connor had an aspiration of have 20 grandchildren, so I obliged him with the twins only hack from mts2...that is when I started affectionately referring to Alpha Plain as Village of the Damned Reversed. (No blonde hair and blue eyes here, all the twins were black hair and black eyes).

I'm STILL not done raising and marrying off all the sets of twins. I think Connor finally ended up with 26 grandchildren if I remember correctly (I went a little overboard with the romance sim son). Imagine all the families I had to make up since all these cousins can't marry each other LOL...I still have to check family trees constantly to see who belongs to who.

I now have the problem of all the kids being grown up but their parents and grandparents still hanging around. Some of them I killed off experimenting with boolprop toys.

I don't get HOW you play households with so many people. I have a hard time if there gets to be more than 4 people in the house. And after using the house NPCs I'm finding that if there are a few people in the house, the game slows WAY down. I so need a new computer.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:57 pm
When you created an alpha couple, were you planning to use them to seed the whole neighborhood from that one couple? That's what in one of my neighborhoods.

It definitely helps to have a fast machine to deal with large households. Other than that, I basically don't play them very well. I build horrible architectures designed for herding them through a production line of daily life, hire every servant in site including the DMA Sims NPC's, liberally use cheat codes to refresh the sims and buy the stuff they need, and mostly let them run their own lives.

I've found that the maximum number I can handle in a given household is 14. At that point, the little stack of icons along the left side of the screen scrolls off the top of the CRT and I have sims that I can't select.

Most of the time I try to limit the size of a household to a maximum of 6 sims, and have found that I have the most fun playing houses with 1 to 4 sims in them. The big houses are just places for mass-producing cannon fodder such as the boyfriends for all those extra teen girls in Baumdoubt Valley.

Now, having created this massive mess, I find that I'm eager to pair them off, grow them off, and split them up into individual households. I'll probably just give up on trying to play all the way through their teenage years and have them all grow up so I can split up the households.

Something is weird in this household, too--I have three adults in there and none of them can move out. I tell them to "Find Own Place." They go through the motions with the computer or newspaper and then nothing happens. That could really spoil my plans for the whole thing. I've done this before so I know that having lots of sims in a house isn't the cause, so at the moment I'm stumped.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:56 pm
hmmm...did you ever install University? That sounds like a variation of a problem I had with graduates that wouldn't move back to the neighborhood after graduating -- got a bandaid for it at MTS2 from 2jeffs.

I don't know if I originally planned to seed the neighborhood with Connor and Pilar, but that is certainly what happened. I do remember being totally in love with them as my first sims though. They just seemed so beautiful, I was impressed with myself with their facial structures.

I did make a second family early on called the kaines, so that Cole, the oldest boy, would have a girlfriend/wife. In fact, my user name at the sims 2 is meggiekaine, after said girlfriend/wife. Marsha is familiar with all these particular sims, as we spent a lot of time on yahoo IM when the game first came out, with a lot of play by play commentary LOL...

After I paired meggie and cole, I had to make a few more families, after all I had 6 children. I had a neighborhood s/l/u/t named Lindsey that would lure anyone into her bed, so that helped. Also one of Connor and Pilar's twin sons (natural twins, no cheats, my first in the game), Drefan was also a romance sim and he got around a lot as well. I don't know how many families I made to accomodate all those kids but it was a lot. Then I found with the 3rd generation I had to make even more families. So I made 3 different families of Mayfairs (not related in the game) as I was then reading Anne Rice's witch chronicles again. They all have names from the books (Rowan, Michael, Dierdra, Antha, Stella, Julien, etc etc etc) and some of them were among my first batch of college students.

I'm far enough down the generation ladder that the kids kids kids can marry each other. I believe the family restriction stops at second cousins.

I also thought Ophelia was quite beautiful. In my game she is married to Johnny Smith. What I finally did was move all the families from other neighborhoods that I had played back to alpha plain, including the pleasants, goths, dreamers etc that I had played in a separate pleasantview. (I deleted all those families in Alpha Plain). The plastic surgery kit (kelly's buyable one is a lifesaver!) really helps with really ugly sims like the pleasant girls (ick). Make sure and cheat though with the aspiration painting to be found at mts2, it boosts aspiration clear to the top. I think it still might backfire , but the only sims I've had it NOT backfire on the first time is the ones that had absolutely full platinum aspiration.

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:47 am
I still haven't installed University. There are so many interesting things that I want to do with my game as it is, I don't have a strong incentive to mess with figuring out why it won't install or wondering if I have a defective disk.

Using a Romance Slut as a gene source just plain never occurred to me! Of course! There might be some use for that aspiration after all! I think the Romance Slut would do best with a helper to raise the children--perhaps pair her off with a Knowledge-obsessed sibling or a married couple whom she recognizes as family. Then she could ply her neurosis without wrecking every marriage in town.

That's another reason to create an oversized household. If your have Romance Sluts around, you need a supply of bedfodder that doesn't wreck all your family relationships. I've done that a couple of times, creating a household full of johns to keep the trollops happy. But mostly I avoid the Romance aspiration.

Mostly I play for aspirations so my sims spend most of their lives at gold or platinum levels. When I want to boost aspiration I generally use the Testing Cheats:

boolprop testingcheatsenabled true
shift-click on the sim
select "Set Aspiration... Max"
boolprop testingcheatsenabled false

The DMA Sims controller (http://www.valdea.com/) has a built-in cheat for boosting aspiration, too. It only takes it part of the way into the platinum but it's available without the nuisance of typing in cheat codes so I use it when someone needs a quick boost.

When playing a very large family I just pause the game and give everybody a full boost in the morning just as they rise from their beds. And if they were up too late the night before, at 5:00 AM I'll use the Refresh Everybody testing cheat, which is built into the DMA Sims controller and also available by shift-clicking on the mailbox.

The DMA Sims controller has yet another very useful command built into it: You can have every sim on the lot change to the outfit you want! It's just what you need to get everybody dressed properly for a big wedding! And of course, the DMA Sims NPC's include two maids that you can have live in your household and help keep things tidy during a big party.

Remember the conundrum of Jana and Roger's wedding? I was putting off hiring a maid until just before the wedding so she'd help keep the place clean. I think it was that night that I discovered the NPC maids from DMA Sims, which is how I got started fiddling with all of Danny's creations.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:45 pm
I usually hate the romance aspiration, but Lindsey became one of my favorite characters. She and her daughter (also a romance sim) each had 4 babies for a total of 5 for Lindsey, as I started her off with her daughter, Lisa. Teens are a great thing to have around with babies in the house.

I found the biggest problem with romance sims having children though. If you have a sim in the house getting busy with the romance sim, and the kids are in the house, and the bedmate is not the child's other parent, it totally wrecks the child/parent relationship. The child doesn't hate the parent as much as the other partner, but it is still quite damaging each time it happens.

Also, romance sims don't like having babies, so you have to catch them at a time when it's not one of their fears.

Lindsey is actually one of my favorite sims, simply because I thought she was beautiful.

Miss Lindsey Smith, Slut Extraordinaire

I did have a male romance sim (Drefan) that it was easier to spread around because he didn't have any children except for those that lived in other households (and there were around 15), until I had him abducted and he ended up with alien twins, Cara and Mia. They didn't seem to care who he slept with, so I guess that is the exception to the rule.

The DMA sims controller, is that the yellow thing that is like the burglar alarm? I ended up with it in my game after I downloaded your house. I LOVE that thing. Just the fix for a super cheater like myself smile

Even with all the bugs I have come across in Uni, I LOVE this expansion. I do have a tendency to get bored doing the same old thing over and over. University has added a lot of different dimensions to the game. And I have only so far graduated 4 sims. I have about 12 others in college currently. When I get bored of Uni, I just go back and play the neighborhood, and vice versa. I try to play the families that I have kids at college, to maintain relationships and to keep some semblance of time flow. I haven't started building dorms yet, but I think that is something I would like to eventually do.

Wytch's Brew
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:42 pm
Dumb question: is She making bunny ears behind Gregsim's head to entertain the babies or for some other reason?

Rose/Miros
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:38 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Sidebar: DMA Sims Workers and Hookers

Liss wrote:
...Lindsey is actually one of my favorite sims, simply because I thought she was beautiful.

I'll add my vote to that! She's one of the best-looking sims I've yet seen!

Liss wrote:
Miss Lindsey Smith, Slut Extraordinaire

lol She's more extraordinaire than any of the female sims I've yet created! Until you mentioned it I hadn't thought to have Romance sims serve as breeding stock, so to speak. I was just creating large families.

Although, in another of the Tales of Happy Valley, I did have one interesting incident involving Romance sims and babies. I had an overly accommodating fellow named Egbert Hedon, a Knowledge sim, who was the target of the affections of several Romance sluts. He got three of them pregnant. Since they weren't interested in raising babies I had them all three of them show up at his house and drop off the babies--all in the same morning!

Fortunately for Egbert, there was a nice gal next door named Charity Pierce who really, really wanted to marry him. Charity even came complete with a helpful sister named Chastity. Charity and Egbert got married and both of the Pierce sisters moved into his house to help take care of all those babies.

Then the Bomb hit and the connection between the children and their mothers was lost forever. However, Egbert and the kids still live on in Happy Valley.

Liss wrote:
I did have a male romance sim (Drefan) that it was easier to spread around because he didn't have any children except for those that lived in other households (and there were around 15), until I had him abducted and he ended up with alien twins, Cara and Mia. They didn't seem to care who he slept with, so I guess that is the exception to the rule.

Drefan was definitely more productive than any of my sims ever were!

When the bomb hit, one of my suspicions was that I had hit a bug by having one sim with too many children. It sounds like you've eliminated that possibility!

Actually, I'm convinced that the Bomb was the direct result of installing the EA patch from November 2004, and then loading in a household saved before the patch.

Confirmed: I just tried it again. I just now wiped out Baumdoubt Valley for the umpteenth time. But this time I had a fresh backup!

Liss wrote:
The DMA sims controller, is that the yellow thing that is like the burglar alarm? I ended up with it in my game after I downloaded your house. I LOVE that thing. Just the fix for a super cheater like myself smile

Right. In Electronics you'll find the yellow "dma Teleport" with all the built-in cheat codes.

Also look in Miscellaneous-Miscellaneous. Danny's things for the hookers might have sneaked in with one of my houses.

Where to Find DMA Sims Woohoo NPC Things
This image is from a note I posted in the DMA forum. The screen shot is from a brothel in my Lake Dorothy
neighborhood, so it's a bit off topic for Tales of Happy Valley.

And if not, you can get them from DMA Sims.

The Appearance and Outfit Changer is really useful. It looks like a red burglar alarm. With it you can buy clothes without going downtown and you can change the appearance and clothing of any unsuspecting NPC who happens to walk by.

There are a couple of features directly related to operating a brothel with DMA Woohoo NPC's. You can also change the victim's aspiration to Romance, which causes them to autonomously patronize the brothel. The "Send In..." command tells the victim to go to the brothel. Sometimes a passing NPC will leave the lot and then come back so if it seems like it's not working, wait a while.

If you see a bed named "D.M.A. Products NPCs Bed" be careful. That bed can only be used by Danny's NPC's. I did a dumb thing while building the bunkhouse for one of those big households and installed 16 of those things, and then wondered for a while why I couldn't get the sims to go to bed. They will relax on the NPC beds but they won't sleep.

Last edited by Greg on Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:53 pm; edited 3 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:19 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 5: The Bennetts' Personalities

miros1 wrote:
Dumb question: is She making bunny ears behind Gregsim's head to entertain the babies or for some other reason?

I think that's "clowning for the camera." Sheba's playfulness rating is only 5, but that seems to be enough to enjoy bunny ears and airborne babies.

She Plays Catch-The-Crystal with Amanda
Saturday, Day 65, 8:36 AM at Manse Orleans
Wanda is playing with Alexander while Brenda tries to get her attention.

The older girls decided for themselves what they wanted to wear for pajamas when they became teenagers. We can hope that this means the little ones will grow up with a healthy attitude toward the human body.

Of course it also means that Alexander in particular will receive an advanced education in comparative anatomy that most boys only get from the Internet these days. He hasn't yet learned to use those things as an aid to avoiding eye contact.

As of this morning, the todders have four days before they grow up and they have already learned the basic toddler skills. From this point on it's just a matter of interacting with their parents, making friends, and wrecking toys.

Their personalities are awesome:
Alexander: 8 - 5 - 9 - 4 - 8 (Pisces)
Amanda: 8 - 5 - 7 - 5 - 9 (Cancer)

Those are pretty close to my idea of the perfect sim. B'b'but, how did two children, born minutes apart on the same day, end up with different Zodiac signs?

I have a theory that if you keep the higher you keep the mother's aspiration during the pregnancy, the more personality points the kids will inherit. Someone else will have to test the negative side of this theory; I served my time testing babies.

I worked really hard to develop their parents' personalities when they were kids and they both turned out really well:

Greg: 8 - 6 - 7 - 5 - 9 (Pisces)
She: 8 - 5 - 7 - 5 - 8 (Gemini)

[align=center:dd59a7febe]Jump to Chapter 6: Another Baby Bomb Goes Off
This link jumps past the discussion. [/align:dd59a7febe]

Last edited by Greg on Mon May 16, 2005 6:21 pm; edited 4 times in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:27 pm
ooooooooooo running to DMA now to download that outfit changer!

The only part of that set I ended up with is the woohoo booth.

I have an aversion to ugly sims that borders on fetish. I have Kelly's buyable plastic surgery kit. I have used it extensively with university to change the looks of sims I don't like. I have a lot of former NPCs that I have made player characters in college town. I don't know why when you can make such beautiful sims that maxis has found it so fun to populate the world with ugly sims. Lindsey was just the beginning, you would not believe how much time I spend tweaking my sims for looks. I was extremely peeved when I ended up with ugly genetics in successive generations, now I don't have to keep them that way! I LOVE the plastic surgery kit! One thing though, unless you have FULL platinum aspiration, it is likely to backfire, in which case you just start from scratch, which is also fun.

*edit*

I can't find the actual link in the forum to download the woohoo set, help! I went from the DMA site to the forum, went to the appropriate topic, and can't find the actual link to download the stuff.

*edit again*

doh! wasn't logged in. problem solved.

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:11 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Tutorial: How to Change Appearance with SimPE

The "Change Appearance" tool on the DMA red gizmo lets you do the same thing to an NPC that a player sim can do in a mirror. But there's still a way to change their face mesh.

The ultimate solution to ugly NPC's is SimPE's Sim Surgery feature. With it, you can make any sim look exactly like another sim. What you do:

1. Quit your game. (This is the hardest step.)

2. Download and install SimPE.

3. Start up SimPE.

4. Select Plugins... Neighborhood Browser.

5. Choose the neighborhood where the ugly sim lives and click on CREATE BACKUP!

6. Did you create a backup? If not, go to step 5. It only takes one click on a button and a few seconds of waiting.

7. Now, seriously, did you really create a backup? If not, get back to step 5 right now and do it!

8. After you have backed up your neighborhood, pull down under Plugins to Sim Surgery.

9. Scroll through the list and select the sim you want to change. Click on "Use" in the "Patient" area at the top of the screen.

10. Find the sim you want that other sim to look like and select it. Click on "Use" in the "Archetype" area below the patient area.

11. Click on the botton near the bottom of the window named something like "Perform Surgery." (Did I mention that you, really, REALLY, REALLY want to back up your neighborhood before you did this?)

12. SimPE will entertain you with amusing images while it considers your request. When it's done, it will open the character editor for the sim who just underwent surgery.

13. If you want to tweak the sim in the character editor while you're there, have at it. Remember to click on "Commit" as you flip from screen to screen while editing.

14. When you're all done--but only if you backed up your neighborhood before you did all this--pull down under File and Save.

15. Quit SimPE.

16. Start up your game and go to a household where the newly transformed character lives, or where you can teleport the sim in from the hinterlands.

17. Unless you want the previously ugly sim to look like an identical twin of your archetype, it's time to "Change Appearance." If the sim is living there, have your newly prettified sim adjust hair and makeup for a unique look. If you have to teleport the sim in, use the DMA Sims red thingie to "Change Appearance."

There are a lot of options for changing just the face or skintone, too. Those can leave you with strange things like a light face on a dark body. Most of the time, just having the sim go to a mirror and "Change Appearance" will fix the face skin tone; however there seem to be exceptions that I haven't yet figured out how to handle.

Last edited by Greg on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:07 pm; edited 3 times in total

:story: Tales of Happy Valley