Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :tutorial: Basements Quick and Easy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:37 pm
AUGH! Where are the instructions for creating a basement after a house is already built?

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:35 pm
I made some notes about building a basement an existing house in the tour of Manse Orleans:
http://hullabaloo.simshost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7650#7650

It's pretty much the same idea. No floor elevation tricks required. What you do is go the first floor and delete the foundation where you want the basement to be, stopping at least one square short of the edges. Don't bother to move anything; leave the furniture and even the sims right where they are.

Your floors will disappear where there's a blank spot. No worries. (If you have some of those complex diagonal floors, you might want to put in some temporary diagonal walls now to keep those floor tiles from being deleted. It'll save a bit of work later.)

Now go down to the foundation level and dig. At this point I always paint the inside of the basement with the 16 Stripes Wall and just dig until I strike gold.

Flatten the basement floor and you're good to go down there.

Now go upstairs and rebuild your damaged floors. You probably didn't do more than a kaching's worth of damage but it can be a little tedious if you have a lot of different floor coverings to redo.

If your floor grid doesn't look flat, just sweep a floor from a good area over the empty grid. It will flatten. Then fill in the empty spots in the grid.

Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:43 pm
I'll give him this link and have him read on his break at work. I can't wait till he's finished with his castle. I told him I wanted him to write up an explanation of it to post here and I'd add the pics. You can't even view the whole thing in game and you have to back way up in the neighborhood view to see it. It even has a moat! I told him he needs to learn to mesh cause he wants me to make cannons for the turrets and I don't have the time. lol

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
:tutorial: Basements Quick and Easy