Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :tutorial: Basements Quick and Easy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:52 am
Glad you found this handy Greg! =D

Just make sure when you modify the basement of a house with sims/furniture already moved in to remove the roof before attempting stair placement. Not sure "why" but stairs don't "get along" with roofs during the build process, removing the roof solves this trouble. =)

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:10 pm
I'll have to remember that! "Stairs are afraid of roofs!"

Now, go back to that other thread and see what I did with your measuring-walls idea!
:3d:

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:14 am
I just saw something new! Look at this:

Velma's Basement with Swimming Pool

I built this foundation using a combination of the technique I described in this thread and Carrot's technique. First I laid out the whole slab and then used Carrot's technique to delete the parts I didn't want. Then I went down a level and using my trick of measuring the depth with stairs to find the level of the basement floor.

While I was down there, I decided to go ahead an build Velma's* swimming pool. This is a small 3x2 lot but it's for a very large oversized household, so I have the foundation pretty much filling the entire lot with no room left outside for a pool.

All went as expected, but when I went back to the main level I noticed something--if you look closely at the image above you'll see that the floor squares are completely level and filled in even before I put a floor on the first story.

As far as I can tell, this floor-flattening phenomenon happened because of building the swimming pool in the basement. Perhaps the pool is enough of a clue for the software to define the floor level for the first story.

I have no idea what use this information is, but it might come in handy if someone is trying to figure out the vagueries of floor elevations.

*Miss Velma Boiteauy is a very /s/l/u/t/t/y/ outgoing Romance sim. Close up, her outfit is even more outrageous that it appears in this picture.

Her role is to host a group of no less than 16 teenage boys. I discovered that Baumdoubt Valley is suffering from an acute shortage of teen boys.

In fact, now that Alexander and William (twin sons of Gregsim and Dallas**) have grown up and got engaged, there are no teen boys left in Baumdoubt Valley, but there are 16 teen girls looking for boys to have a first kiss with!

My plan is to build a boarding house for Velma and then use the Tombstone of Live and Death to create a number of new teen boys equal to the number of teen girls. That should make the teen girls happy and give me a nice gene pool to repopulate Baumdoubt Valley.

One of the interesting effects of using the TOLAD to generate random sims is that this will populate Velma's clothing chest with lots of teen boy outfits.

**Just to add to the delightful confusion: Gregsim and Dallas Geieffies were the sole survivors of the bomb. They are both married to Meadow Thayer in Baumdoubt Valley. Dallas has four children--three boys and a girl. Meadow has one son who, except for his tan skin tone, is an identical twin to Dallas's youngest son. On her first try, Dallas popped out identical twin boys whom I named Alexander and William after my real-life son.

One mountain range over in Happy Valley, Gregsim is married to "She," the one who wouldn't go to work after she became Captain Hero. The confusion doesn't end there, however, because on her first try, She gave birth to twins, too! One was a girl so I named them Alexander and Amanda. And, to top it off, in both neighborhoods, Gregsim's family live in variations on Manse Orleans.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:14 pm
Update. I think the thing that flattened the first floor was actually the act of putting a floor in the basement before I went back upstairs.

Attaching Things to Basement Walls
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:01 pm
How to Attach Things to Basement Walls

Normally you cannot attach objects like sinks, toilets, mirrors, and paintings to any foundation walls. You can use the 'move_objects on' cheat to do this, though.

You Can Attach Things to Foundation Walls

If you do this a lot, or just don't like to use the 'move_objects' cheat, here's a way that you can always be able to attach things to foundation walls. You have to quit your game and edit a text file that controls how your game behaves.

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts
The scripts are under 'Program Files', not My Documents.

2. Make a backup copy of the file named walls.txt and store it someplace safe, just in case.
This is the script that controls how walls behave.

3. Right-click on the walls.txt file and open it in Notepad.

4. Scroll down in the file until you find the section about foundations walls:
    # foundation walls
    wall 23
    defaultPattern "foundationbrick"
    wallThickness standard
    mayChangeSurface true
    mayAttachObjects false
    mayCutAway false
    requiresFlatBottom false
    requiresFlatTop true
    submersible true
    deleteTool levelRoom
    notInCatalog

5. Change 'mayAttachObjects false' to 'mayAttachObjects true'

6. Save the file and exit.

7. Start up the game, head on down to a basement somewhere, and have fun!

Thanks to Neriana for posting this tip at Variousimmers.

Note that there is a good chance that an expansion pack will overwrite your changes to walls.txt, so keep a copy of the original in safe backup folder somewhere.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:03 am
Submersible? Does that mean you could make an underwater basement?

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:59 pm
Yes, it does mean you can make an underwater basement. Or rather, it means that the base of your foundation can be under water.

Re::tutorial: Basements Quick and Easy
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:33 pm
*bump* so I don't have to scroll down the page to find this Grin

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:08 am
I'd say that when people start bumping things, it's time to sticky them?

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:42 pm
that's what I was thinking Grin I'm thinking all these tutorial things should be stickied, but that's just me smile

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:15 pm
I keep meaning to make an index that links to the other topics and sticky ONLY the index. If I get inspired I'll work on it tonight! Grin

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:48 pm
Ta da! I started the Index topic and stickied it. Carrot has been waiting patiently for weeks for me to do that.

I should mention that Carrot's method of building the foundation first and then deleting the foundation in the basement areas is much easier. See More on Basements.

The More On Basements is marked with the download icon instead of the the tutorial icon because it has the download link for the 16 Stripes Wall.

jobtwo
Most Excellent SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:29 pm
there is another way to make the walls useable (hang lights,pictures,ect.) after you get your level right for the stairs using carrots way for the stairs ..............then delete the foundation on the outside
then use the wall tool to build a wall all the way around your basement then on the outside of the wall put a foundation all the way around the outside of the wall, the foundation will just use the wall as its inside wall .........then you will always have a useable wall that you can use to change pics or whatever without changing text files or useing cheats smile

(not being able to use walls has always bugged me lol)

(greg dont forget to change your text file back before you install updates or nightlife it may stall the installation)

not sure if i explained this very well but the pictures should help smile

Last edited by jobtwo on Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:46 pm
That does seem to be a more elegant method of making useful interior basement walls!

And thanks for the reminder, Dennis! Hoo boy! I would indeed have forgotten to remove my walls.txt file before installing the expansion pack!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:46 am
Whilst snooping around, I noticed another important note about basements in this message in the download topic for Manse Orleans.

That one shows how the floor gets messed up, and how you can fix it.

:tutorial: Basements Quick and Easy