Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :dl: Better Living Through Chocolate Crop Top (Download)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
:dl: Better Living Through Chocolate Crop Top (Download)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:38 pm
This might be fun! How about a Hullabaloo Exclusive as my birthday present to you?

Better Living Through Chocolate Crop Top
SimsHost subscribers can click on the title above to download from The Pearl
143 KB

So, what are those strange runes on the lovely lady's shirt, you ask?

Why, as every schoolboy (who happens to have a college degree in organic chemistry) knows, that is the chemical structure of theobromine! And in turn as every chocoholic should know, theobromine is the substance found only in chocolate that makes it work its wonders! Grin

Last edited by Greg on Sun May 15, 2005 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

simslady
Senior SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:08 pm
really cool shirt greg, Thank you :grin:
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:29 pm
I'm glad you like it! Grin

I decided to goof off today and was just fooling around, surfing the net for interesting topics. On a lark I decided to learn what there is to learn about theobromine, which lead to the idea for the shirt.

Did you know that despite the oft-repeated urban myth, there is no caffeine in chocolate?

nubiandoll
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:52 pm
I like it!!! Where can it be downloaded, lol

Nubian
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:03 pm
Just click on the image in the first message in this thread. Grin

Mage
Persistent Participant
Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:21 pm
If I'm anyone to go by you sure know your audience Greg. Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:02 pm
Thanks Greg, loving it :smilehap:
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:47 am
Just for fun, I posted a link to this Hullabaloo thread in this thread at Neighborhood 99. Grin

So if anyone looking here came here from there, Welcome! Grin

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:30 am
I think you should hook it up to The Pearl properly and announce it as an update.

Rose/Miros
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:43 am
Aw heck, I just added it as an upate for Hullabaloo! Grin

Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:13 am
Love the shirt and idea for Hullabaloo downloads Greg! =)

Now tell me (if you would), is it true that Chocolate kicks off endorphins which simulate the feeling of "love" or "being in love" ? And . . . if this is the case, would this/could this be the reason so many turn to Chocolate as a "comfort" food?

I've heard this numerous times throughout the years and always wondered if it was true. I figured if anyone would hold the "key" to this mystery, it would be you. :winky:

MTIA,

~*~ Carrot ~*~
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:44 am
The part about chocolate producing a feeling of well-being similar to what people experience when they fall in love is true. There are lots and lots of clinical trials that confirm that. However, I can't find anything that says it does this by causing the release of endorphins.

In addition to theobromine, chocolate contains minute amounts of anandimide, a substance that mimics the behavior of cannabinoids (the active substances in marijuana, such as THC). But I should emphasize the dosage is fantastically low compared using any form of marijuana. Everything I've found on that falls into two categories: apparently legitimate researchers having a belly laugh at the notion versus sensationalists (mostly Europeans working on the government dole) exaggerating the presence of anandimide beyond all sanity.

On the other hand, medical researchers don't seem to be sure exactly how theobromine does what it does.

There's a lot of research going on with theobromine right now. It appears to be a much more effective cough suppressant than codeine while have having none of codeine's undesirable side effects. The one paper I found did a study giving people a dosage equivalent of two cups of cocoa and got almost perfect correlation in their data.

Despite the voodoo about anandimate, chocolate does seem to be helpful in recovering from addiction to narcotics by reducing withdrawal symptoms. Researchers point to theobromine, but are still trying to figure out why it works.

It is a mild stimulant, but apparently its stimulation comes from being a vasal dilator. Some researchers are looking into the effect theobromine could have preventing heart attacks and other problems caused by restrictions in blood circulation.

Unlike its cousin caffeine (and being in love), theobromine does not cause an increase in heart rate or blood pressure.

Oh, and for what it's worth -- the effect of chocolate on acne: totally, absolutely zero. No clinical correlation whatsoever, despite hundreds of tests.

Correlation between eating chocolate and tooth decay: zero, the sequel.

(If that last revelation wasn't shocking enough, here's another one from a different venue, just because I enjoy debunking pseudoscience: After thousands of clinical trials the correlation between those nasty cholesterol-laden eggs and heart attacks: again, zero. None. Zip. Nada. In fact, eating eggs seems to slightly reduce levels of cholesterol in the blood stream. Eggs contain cholesterol inhibitors that seem to overwhelm the amount of cholesterol that they deliver to the bloodstream, which might explain this phenomenon.)

Last edited by Greg on Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mage
Persistent Participant
Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:58 am
Correlation between eating chocolate and getting fat: um...

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:05 pm
My hubby asked a good question......if chocolate doesn't contain caffeine, then what causes it to kill dogs and cats? He had always heard it was the caffeine.

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:10 pm
It's theobromine.

Dogs and horses metabolize theobromine very slowly and it reaches toxic levels in their bodies, fatal in sufficient dosages. I haven't run across any papers that mention cats.

There's a thought. The cacao plant might have developed theobromine as a protective defense against herbivores. Then along comes homo sap who discovers that he likes the stuff, and takes his place in the process of evolution through agriculture.

Dogs seem to be OK with caffeine, at least in the dosages that the National Institute of Health was willing to administer. Some Chinese doctors have used much higher dosages of caffeine on dogs in studying its effect on muscle contractility, but they didn't say whether the caffeine resulted in permanent damage to the animals. (Other aspects of their research certainly did. You don't want to know; I wish I didn't.)

Nit: There is a trace amount of caffeine in the husk of the cacao bean; however, the husk is discarded during the early stages of processing.

Amusement: "Caffeine" means "something found in coffee."

Greg

Last edited by Greg on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

:dl: Better Living Through Chocolate Crop Top (Download)