Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :tutorial: Dorms, Dorms, Dorms! : A How To
Goto page Previous  1, 2
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:47 am
Nihale199 wrote:
And, the files have "_Permanent" attatched to their names, i.e. Dorm_15_Permanent.package

Ooh, can lots in non-Uni neighborhoods (i.e. normal residential neighborhoods) be made permanent in that same way? It's always annoyed me that once you place one of the Maxis builtin houses in a neighborhood, it goes away and you can't place another copy later...

DC
Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:10 am
I don't really know. NL makes every single empty lot be permanently in the bin anyways, so I can't test it.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:38 pm
Is there a way to use that change lot cheat in ofb to change a residential lot into a community one?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:11 pm
changelotzoning community

Also:

changelotzoning residential

This can be tricky because the lot won't have the necessary trash receptacle and community lot telephone. However, you can download replacements from Somewhere Around Here (I think from the EA site). They come bundled into a collection that you can tap to outfit a lot that is missing any of the essential equipment for residential or community lots.

I think I posted some pictures of my ultimate experiement with this Somewhere Around Here. It's the stage set for Sheba's Fantasy in Xanadu. That's a residential lot that also has all the functions of a community lot, including a full-service boutique and grocery store. Local kids even show up every day to staff the checkout counter.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:12 pm
dmchess wrote:
Nihale199 wrote:
And, the files have "_Permanent" attatched to their names, i.e. Dorm_15_Permanent.package

Ooh, can lots in non-Uni neighborhoods (i.e. normal residential neighborhoods) be made permanent in that same way? It's always annoyed me that once you place one of the Maxis builtin houses in a neighborhood, it goes away and you can't place another copy later...

DC

Erm... try it. I think I've tried it and found that it doesn't work, but I could be wrong. Often am.

Mage
Persistent Participant
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:16 pm
Thanks Greg,
Typical of me - as soon as I posted the question I figured out where the readme file is in the game folder.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:05 am
Any chance of alink for this Greg? I had a poke around and I get lost every time on the EA site?

Greg wrote:

This can be tricky because the lot won't have the necessary trash receptacle and community lot telephone. However, you can download replacements from Somewhere Around Here (I think from the EA site). They come bundled into a collection that you can tap to outfit a lot that is missing any of the essential equipment for residential or community lots.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:03 pm
Sita wrote:
Any chance of alink for this Greg? I had a poke around and I get lost every time on the EA site?

Can't find it on the EA site. I might have been thinking of the collection from http://daydream.etowns.net/

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:42 pm
ooh thank you! getting it now.

oops I feel a downloading spree coming oon....
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:53 pm
Once you've installed it, look in your Collections. You'll find a folder with all the standard stuff required to outfit a lot. This can be fun. You might have seen that Xanadu (the movie studio town) there's a residential lot that has its own shops; sort of a portent of Open For Business, perhaps.

In other news: While I was snooping around I ran across a couple of other things you can set.
    changelotzoning secret society
    changelotzoning greek

Changing a lot to Secret Society status is risky because as soon as you exit the lot, it will disappear and the only way to edit it is to have one of your sims visit. I suspect you'd also only want to do this on campus where no Secret Society already exists.

I don't know beans about Greek houses because I haven't played with them much except for the ones that come canned from Maxis. It's not clear to me how a Greek house is different from a normal residence.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:02 pm
Well, the roomies in a greek house randomly travel off the lot and bring back Free Stuff, generally pizza but sometimes a stereo, a toy, a piece of furniture, etc. Also on a Greek House lot the members have the option "sleep on the floor."

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:43 pm
Greg wrote:
I don't know beans about Greek houses because I haven't played with them much except for the ones that come canned from Maxis. It's not clear to me how a Greek house is different from a normal residence.

Yeah, from my limited play experience and the Prima guide, my impression is that Greek houses have special rules about house levels, and numbers of friends, and the speed of need decay, and pledging, and all sorts of things that are really complicated and confusing and make virtually no difference to gameplay.

Which seems sort of silly... *8)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:06 pm
That matches my experience. It seemed that you wanted the kids to make lots of friends so that the house would have a high rating for the sake of trying to get a high rating. It's sort of like trying to have a good party for the sake of having a good party.

:tutorial: Dorms, Dorms, Dorms! : A How To