Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :tutorial: Dorms, Dorms, Dorms! : A How To
Goto page 1, 2  Next
:tutorial: Dorms, Dorms, Dorms! : A How To
Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:09 pm
Before getting into the "how", there are some things you MUST keep in mind or your dorm will NOT work properly, let's go over these now . . .

1) Dorm doors must face outward. Make sure when placing a dorm room door, the empty "picture frame" (where your sim's face would appear if he/she claimed the door) is facing outward (not in toward the inside of the room).

2) Dorm rooms should not have more than one dorm door leading into them.

3) Dorm rooms with dorm doors that share a bathroom do not lock properly. So if you add a bathroom right next to a dorm room and connect the two via a "regular" door, expect the other "dormies" to access your sim's room.

4) Don't change the zoning of your lot after you move in sims.

Your dorm must contain the following items:

The ShinyTyme Cooktop

Counter Islands

Dishwasher/Sink in the same room with the cooktop

Garbage Can

Lights

Phone (1 at the very least)

Sprinkler

To Modify an Existing Dorm:

1) Place any dorm template from the Specialty Lot catalog or enter a placed dorm.

2) Enter the lot, open the cheat window and type: boolprop dormspecifictoolsdisabled false (to unlock build/buy mode)

3) Make the changes you want

4) Save and exit

How To Make Dorm Templates from Scratch:

1) Start by placing any sized residential lot.

2) Enter the lot and build your dorm.

3) Open the cheat window (ctrl+shift+c) and type: changelotzoning dorm. (this rezones your lot as a dorm.

4) Save and exit

The above two methods only affect dorms placed in the college town you are playing, so these dorms won't be playable in "other" college towns. In order to use your created dorms in all college towns you have to get your newly built dorm into the Specialty Lot Catalog.

Getting Your New Dorm Into the Specialty Lot Catalog: (campus lots only)

1) From "college town view" (hovering over the town) move your new dorm into the lot catalog.

2) Find the file you just modified/created in: \MyDocuments\EA Games\The Sims 2\Lot Catalog. You can find the newest lot by sorting your files via "date modified". (right click - sort by - date modified). Your file "should" be the very last one in the entire listing (check date to verify).

3) Copy your "new dorm file" to: \Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\LotTemplates AND rename in the following manner: YourChosenName_Permanent.package. By adding the _Permanent.package portion of the file name this will make your "new dorm" infinitely placeable, so you'll be able to place your "new dorm" as many times as you wish!

4) Exit and reload the game.

5) Your "new dorm" will now appear in the Specialty Lot Catalog in college towns. =)

This concludes our broadcast day . . . Have Fun!

~*~ Carrot ~*~

Last edited by Sheba on Fri May 20, 2005 2:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mage
Persistent Participant
Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:55 pm
This is so helpful. It is something I definitely want to try when I get time. Thank you.

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:58 pm
Thanks, Carrot! This is very good to know. :winky:

nanci2121
Lady Dors
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:17 am
That's a great guide, Carrot! If I get SU it will be of great help :winky:

Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:34 am
Thanks for the kind words, they're appreciated. =D

As I find out "new things" I intend on sharing, so stay tuned! :winky:

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~
Re: :tutorial: Dorms, Dorms, Dorms! : A How To
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:28 am
Once more kicking an ancient thread...

Carrot wrote:
2) Dorm rooms should not have more than one dorm door leading into them.

Is that still a consensus rule? What happens if you break it? I'm pretty sure I've seen dorm rooms with multiple (myne) doors in Greg's stories, but of course that only means that they probably work in Greg's stories.... *8)

DC
Re::tutorial: Dorms, Dorms, Dorms! : A How To
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:10 am
Greg has engaged couples sharing rooms in his dorms, so each person has to have a door...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:28 am
miros1 wrote:
Greg has engaged couples sharing rooms in his dorms, so each person has to have a door...

Ah! So Rule 2 just means "don't have two dorm doors leading into the same dorm room, unless you don't mind that two different people will be able to get into the room"? That makes sense...

DC
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:54 pm
Just make sure the room is big enough and equipped for all the people who can "claim" it!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:12 pm
Yup. Couples can even share a bed or even a suite in the dorm. It works nicely.

Jonas and Wilhemina's Suite at the Dorm, in The Aardvarkians

Note that Jonas and Wilhemina have a central room with two doors, and then private rooms on either side of the central room. Dorm-wrecking is a special feature of The Aardvarkians. They built all this into the space normally occupied by 3 Maxian 4x4 dorm rooms.

I haven't yet figured out the litany for how to get rooms inside dorm suites to display correctly so I just tinker with them until they do. Once in a while I've had to go back and delete the dorm doors after the folks have moved in (use move_objects to delete the doors), and then just install and claim new doors.

The Llama and The Cow

This feature also appears twice in The Llama and The Cow.

I can't find an illustration for it, but in one dorm I have a suite that will accommodate four people with two separate bedrooms and private bathrooms. That's where Meadow was lliving when she had her babies. I wanted to have lots of students around to care for the babies, making sure that at least one sim was home while the others were at class.

well it sort of worked.
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:41 pm
ok - this lets me make a dorm in the Hood and move it to a uni Hood BUT the make permanent thing did not work - my dorm does NOT appear in the Speciality Lots. And that seems to be what the Prima Guide says too.

very sad I wanted to put my big married couples' dorm in there so it would appear in every Uni. gah. Worked on this house all day today.

I have NightLife installed as well. That does things to the way houses are stored in the Houses and Lots Bin. I wonder if it affected dorms as well? Any ideas?
Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 am
I thought dorms were infinitely placeable... Maybe they've changed how it works. Will test and report back later.

Edit: The reason they don't appear in the specialty lot catalogue is because it's in a different directory:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\LotTemplates

And, the files have "_Permanent" attatched to their names, i.e. Dorm_15_Permanent.package

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:06 pm
Yes that's how I thought it worked. Do you have NightLife yet, Greg? I am wondering if it is something else they changed when NightLife came in; certainly the houses in the neighbourhood Houses and Lots Bin work differently.

I can't check it again right now as I have only Sims 2 installed at the moment. I still haven't figured out how to have more than one install either.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:03 pm
I have Nightlife, but I removed it--actually reinstalled from scratch without it--after two days of struggling with it.

I don't know if I'll ever install Nightlife again. At the moment I'm not inclined to, but if the hackers can fix all the bugs and I can find the time to study up on what they're doing, I just might give it another shot some day.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:29 am
wow! Was that because of the bugs? I like the gameplay in NL but I seem to have had constant problems with it - if anything worse since I patched it. Which reminds me of what happened with other patches from EA...
:tutorial: Dorms, Dorms, Dorms! : A How To