Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :dl: Sim has a job but her ride doesn't show up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
:dl: Sim has a job but her ride doesn't show up
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:03 pm
Edit 7/22/2005

There is a downloadable house hiding in this topic, on page 2.
This link, or clicking on the image below, should take you directly to the message where the download appears.

215 S Happy Valley Road

I have a sim who was on the Law Enforcement career track as a teen. She reached to the top of the track as a teen and was an Overachiever.

When She grew up and became an adult, Her career level increased. Now She shows as "Captain Hero." (I don't remember what Her career advanced to, when She became an adult, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't "Captain Hero." That showed up after I re-entered the household later.)

She has a regular work schedule, but can't go to work because Her ride does not show up.

At the time She's supposed to go to work, the picture-in-picture screen shows up as if there were a vehicle arriving, but there's nothing there. The character does not get the go-to-work action automatically and there's nothing to click on to select it.

She doesn't seem to suffer for not going to work. This has happened two simdays in a row and doesn't get nasty telephone calls and is not using her vacation time. At least not yet.

Does anyone have a clue what is happening and what I can do about it?

I'm thinking of having Her change careers with hope that this will get Her back on track. I don't have to this yet because the day after She became an adult She married Her long-time boyfriend and got pregnant, so She'll have a few days of maternity leave.

Last edited by Greg on Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:17 pm; edited 3 times in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:51 pm
When you are captain hero a regular car doesn't show up, but you do get the go to work graphic and they go out on the front sidewalk and fly up into the air. I have no idea what the problem could be though. I have had many issues with working sims but that has never happened to me.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:16 am
I think I've figured it out. She just doesn't want to be seen in public wearing this outfit! Grin

Captain Hero

I used the chest of drawers to have her "Dress for Work" to see what she should look like. Until I saw this silly thing I was unaware that there were superheroes in the game.

OKOKOK... I think I've found a bug. Until I read your note, Liss, I was guessing that the problem was that She's supposed to go to work at 10:00, which is the same time the maid arrives. If the maid is parked out front, the helicoper can't land. But if She doesn't need the helicopter I don't have an explanation for what's wrong with this character.

She really shouldn't be Captain Hero yet because She previously was a teen working as a security guard. It looks like a bug in game promoted Her out of turn and something got seriously hosed up.

If this continues after She has her baby I can have her switch careers and see if that fixes it. Everybody else in the household (and the whole neighborhood) seems to be getting to work OK so I don't think it's a widespread bug.

Is there something you can click on to tell Captain Hero to go to work? What time does Captain Hero normally go to work? The sidewalk maybe? Does Capain Hero take off from the same spot as the helicopter? If so, it might be a conflict with the maid's van just like the helicopter.

December 22, 2005, addendum: You probably recognized the character in question. This is the first appearance anywhere of the internationally famous She Who Must Be Obeyed of Happy Valley reknown. The silver lining to this conundrum is that her sudden promotion to Captain Hero provided the basis for a very interesting story plot has now gone on for at least six months.

As best I can tell, the phenomenon that I'm complaining here was caused by a bug in Tom's Clothing Tester, which you can spawn from the Testing Cheats. I do not recommend using Tom's Clothing Tester in your game.

Last edited by Greg on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:01 pm
I think 9 or 10 am...and they go over to the left side of the house either on the sidewalk or the lawn and fly away.

and if a sim has like max skills they will get a higher job than normal...which irks me because they get promoted past their career reward.

have her quit her job and get it back again if you can (law enforcement). If she gets capt. hero again I'd try for a different job.

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:15 pm
Yeah, that's a good idea. Or it least it would be if I hadn't discovered that another top-of-the-career sim in the same household won't go to work.

He has been doing fine up to now, going to work without a problem. But this time when the helicopter came he ignored it. I repeatedly selected it and said "Go to Work." The icon just goes away. So something has gone seriously awry with my game.

I have another character who was about to make Mayor. Got him promoted, and then... it was Friday! So now I have to play that household through three off days before it's time for him to go to work again.

I wish we had some diagnostic tools so that I'd know what to fix and how to fix it, but at this point it seems like the solution is to reinstall the whole game.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:18 pm
Maybe if you used Sim PE to *demote* your top of career sims too, down to below the career reward stage...I don't know if that would fix it or not, but sometimes when you fix up stuff like that the bug disappears. But sometimes it makes things worse LOL...so take my advice at your own risk.

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:29 pm
Hey, that might work! I still need to play through Her pregnancy before I learn more.

So far, the anomaly seems to limited to just one household. I had another sim, in another household, reach the top of the Politics career. This was Dadsim, father of Gregsim. I figure that since I had Gregsim retire from politics the path was clear for Dadsim to take over the mayor's office. But watch out! His eldest daughter -- my sister -- is coming up fast on her own political career track!

(I have to make some serious compromises in my game when trying to simulate my own family. There is no career track for preachers or university librarians -- not even an education track -- so my father and big sister are out of their real element. No engineers, either, though at least there's a science track; I don't know what the heck Gregsim was doing in politics but it's what the wanted to do so I indulged his whim. My little sister is in luck; he's an RN and her husband is a county sheriff so those sims can have careers that kinda fit.)

Anyhow, the heliocoffin came, Dadsim jumped on, had a great time at work, brought home a friend in the evening just in time for his daughter's birthday party, and life is good!

Now I'm down to noting what's anamolous about the household where the sims won't go to work:

1. When She grew up from teen to adult, She got promoted to Captain Hero instead of a lower rank.

2. I used the Tombstone of Life and Death to bring on Her adult birthday 2 days early. (Maybe that's what caused #1? Or was it because She has maxed out the necessary skills to be top cop and they have more family friends than most folks have sims?)

3. There are two top-of-career adult sims in the same household.

4. It's the first time I've had a sim reach the top of the cop career.

I have another sim rising quickly in the law enforcement track (my brother Ralphie, actually) so I could test #4 by playing his household until he gets to wear the silly suit. That will go slowly, though, because they're expecting a baby and babies always slow down game play. Maybe that's just because I like to play with the babies. I think they're the best part of the whole game! Grin

Last edited by Greg on Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:50 am
hehe...you should have seen my "village of the damned" neighborhood, where the alpha sim wanted 20 grandchildren. I used the twins only cheat, and ended up with about 26 kids in one neighborhood that all looked alike LOL...that was a lot of babies!

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:10 am
Aha! I think you might have nailed it, Liss!

My sim for my little sister, Jana, just grew up from teen to adult. She was at the top of the medical career as a teen. Oddly, she got promoted to Emergency Medical Technician on her very first day on the job; but Courtney Marchelleta's Guide shows EMT as level 1 for adults and Emergency Room Tech as level 3 for teens.

When Jana grew up the game said she had been promoted to GP, which is level 6. Before she ever went to work, I exited that household and got her engaged to her boyfriend Roger. When I came back to the Bennett house, the game said that Jana was Chief of Staff. And sure enough, when the car showed up...

... she would NOT get into that limo!

The anomaly was not 100% consistent, though, because an hour later when the helicopter arrived to pick up dad for his day as mayor...

... he went straight out there and got in, complete with all the whining about the noise. No problems.

So, I used SimPE to check, and sure enough, Jana's career level was set to 10. I set it back to 6 and restarted the game. Now it shows that she's a General Practitioner. I just need to play through the day and see what happens tomorrow, sim time. With luck she'll go to work as she should.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:15 pm
keep me posted hehe...I want to know how it turns out for you

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:41 am
Well, some bad news and some good news.

The bad news is that when I exited back to the neighborhood screen and then re-entered the household, Jana was back to level 10 again and would not go to work.

Now for good news! I used your other suggestion, and had her use the computer to "find a job." A job in the medical career was available, one notch lower, working second shift at the local hospital. The car came and ...

... sure enough, she went to work!

I might have spoiled the true test, though. Normally she would not have been scheduled to go to work for another three days. At the same time, she and her boyfriend Roger are eager to get married. (The real-life Jana is married to a fellow named Roger, who is a deputy sheriff in Illinois; so of course simRoger is a cop.)

So, instead of making her hang around at our folks' house for three days I had her move in with Roger so that they could plan their wedding. The professional wedding planner (that would be me) came and set up everything for a nice garden wedding...

... so that they can get married married right away; however the change in schedule messed up their plans to get married that evening -- Jana had to work!

It looked like it would still be two days before she had an evening off to get married, but as luck would have it, when she returned home at 1:00 in the morning...

... she was promoted back to General Practitioner!

With her new schedule, Jana and Roger should be able to get married when she gets back from work on Tuesday evening!

This also means that she only had to spend one day at a lower grade level in her job before being promoted back to where she was.

She's now at the point where before she kept bouncing up to the top of her career so there's a chance the problem is not completely solved, but I don't think that will happen. I'm guessing that since she earned the promotion to GP normally instead of getting there through a bug in the game, she will now get back on track in her regular progress through the game and go to work normally.

It will be a while before I get back to the household that started the whole thing to test whether it works there, too. I've only been playing the game a few minutes at a time while working on some software. Every time I get frustrated with the code I turn around and play the game for a while so sometimes it takes days to get through one sim day; and I still have to play through a whole maternity leave before I can try to rescue Captain Hero from her aversion to working.

Greg's Theory

This bug seems to be triggered when a teen reaches the top of a career track in one day. I've seen that happen twice now, when the teen had lots of skill points and lots of friends, and was getting close to growing up.

It's great to have a memory of having been an Overachiever but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of messing up their careers in their adult lives.

I want to test an alternative, though. In both of these cases I exited the household and played somewhere else before the new adult sim went to work. The strange promotion to level 10 did not occur until I later re-entered the household.

It could be that I can avoid the bug by playing that same household until the adult sim has gone to work at the level he was supposed to have. I'm not sure of that, though, because they seem to be getting promoted to one level two high even for an Overachiever, and that's what's triggering the bug.

Only time and game play will tell!

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:15 am
ok, i WANT the house with the wedding garden and I want it NOW. hehe...email it to me? or put it up somewhere for download pleeeease it' s gorgeous. I've seen some of your houses in pictures, you are quite the architect gregory!

Another thing I forgot to bring up: if the kid is in private school they get promoted even *higher* than if they have jobs as a teen. I have stopped trying to get kids in pvt school AND I have stopped letting them get jobs for just that reason. I'm a big fan of reward objects and I hate it when they get promoted past the reward automatically. I could pull out my dog-eared prima guide and tell you exactly what they get promoted to but I'm feeling lazy just now :p

Wytch's Brew
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:05 pm
Yeah, Greg has SimsHost Downloads AND the Exchange... but he never puts up any downloads!

Rose/Miros
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:26 pm
I think the suit for Captain Hero in Sims 2 is MUCH better than the one for Sims 1......pink tights and green "undies" or was it the other way around? At any rate, they looked stupid and the men looked even MORE stupid than the women.

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:53 pm
Quote:
Yeah, Greg has SimsHost Downloads AND the Exchange... but he never puts up any downloads!

Not to mention Moon Sims and The Pearl! (Please don't mention The Pearl! Grin)

:but: I did put up a download just last night! Erm... in the SimsHost Yahoo group. :embarrassed2:

Now I'm finding out why I've never put up any of my houses. It's quite a process. First I have to get the family out, without disturbing the family. Hmm... if it doesn't turn out to be too big of a file I'll just leave Jana and Roger in there.

The other problem is all the game hacks I have installed. I know there's a trick to making a clean house, but I think it involves building the house from scratch. So whatever I do, I'll just risk the hacks.

Golly! It's taking a long time just to do the first step, which is to export the house just as it is. I've had that going in all the time I've been writing that note and it's still going!

Stay tuned, Liss! I am going to figure this out!

Last edited by Greg on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

:dl: Sim has a job but her ride doesn't show up