Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Updated CEP Download to Version 1.3
Updated CEP Download to Version 1.3
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:27 pm
Quaxi updated the CEP to version 1.3 on his site so put I a copy on our mirror at http://thesims2.simshost.com/simpe/.

Or, you can just click on the link at the end of this message to download it from our server.

The download is a file named ColourOptionsSetup.exe. It's a Windows program that you need to run. (Your web browser might give you the option of opening or running the file. It's OK to run it at that point, or you can download and save it so that you can run it later.)

ColourOptionsSetup.exe places a package in your Downloads folder containing color options for the Sims 2 objects that didn't previously have them, making it possible for fans to offer recolors of those objects. If you see this symbol on any Sims fan site, you need to have the CEP installed for the associated recolors to work:

Note that many of the artists on the sites hosted by SimsHost are making recolors that do not require the CEP, but it won't do any harm if you have it and don't need it. We've done a lot of testing on machines with and without the CEP installed and have not encountered any problems either way.

Download ColourOptionsSetup.exe Version 1.3
SimsHost login required for this link. It's a free download.

Quaxi
Most Excellent SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:27 pm
Ok, i dont want to advertise the CEP here, but i need to say something about Recolors that are not based on the CEP, becuase they have a higher Risk of Conflicts!

The most Important thing for Players might be the fact that 100 Recolors load about twice as fast as 100 cloned Objects (which you'd have to us for a stable CEP independent Recolor).

If your Recolors are no complete Clones, you proably just added a fitting GMND File to the Package and added the tsDesignMode Block in it for one (or more) subset of the Object. Now consider the following thing:

Lets say enabled the Recolors for the SimCity Painting for both SubSets. So far everything is just fine. Now a secnd Modder decided, that he does only want to recolor the Frame for some Resaons. So He added a GMND File that did only contain the Color Options for ONE Subset.
A Player installs both Recolors, first the one with both, then the one with only one subset. Now the game has to resolve a Conflict, because it loads two GMND Files. Bx default it wil load the GMND File from the most recent package (the recolor with just one SubSet). That means that all Recolors for the Painting do only have one Subset (the Frm, not the Canvas) left.

I know i did explain this not very well, but you can see, that ther might be conflicts. Using the CEP is much saver, because the Files needed to enable the Color Options are installed only once in the download Folder.

I saw your Tuorials about enabling Color Options without the CEP, an I did not post there, becuause i don't want to force anyone to use the CEP. smile I just wanted to show up potential Conflicts, which we discussed before creating the CEP.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:03 am
Good point! I haven't had time yet to get into the details of Sims 2 objects but I think I get the basics. The CEP seemed like a really good idea to me.

The resistance to using the CEP stemmed from some unfortunate discussions at MTS2 where some of the guys were advocating not allowing "pay" sites to use it, and hence the fear that the fan artists would invest a lot time and heart into this only to have their sites shut down by the whim of somebody else.

I don't think that fear is reasonable, for two reasons. First, regardless of what folks talked about that's not the way it turned out. And second, there's nothing proprietary about the content of the CEP that would prevent anyone else from simply duplicating it. (Unless EA decided to make a mess of the whole fan artist thing; but that would be Game Over for everybody including EA. That's another unreasonable fear. The business managers at EA were obviously raised on a steady diet of Smart Milk.)

That's why I do what little I can to make the CEP available and try to make it easy for the fans to install. And if SimsHost users can pick up a few pennies of your bandwidth cost, that's not so bad either. smile

Quaxi
Most Excellent SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:35 am
Oh. Don't be afraid. The CEP will always be free to use. Also for paysites. In fact the CEP License only says this:
You can offer the CEP and CEP based Content as long as you give the Creators some credit.

So a link that says CEP (created by Numenor and RGiles) is all you need.

Oh, and if you want to be fair to your users, always let them know that Recolors (CEP or not CEP) are still beta.

And before I forget again (as I did in my last post). Some Objects can't be recolored using the CEP, so this is definitely something the CEPless Recolor Tutorial is very useful for. Grin
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:20 am
(Marmy, I really, really don't want to get into a discussion of other boards here in the public forum so I moved your note to the Webmasters board.)

Greg

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Updated CEP Download to Version 1.3