Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Why do YOU buy expansions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Re:Why do YOU buy expansions?
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:40 am
oh... that would make a smashing storyline.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:06 am
Greg wrote:
miros1 wrote:
Let me guess, you're gonna make a mountain neighborhood and Gregsim and the wife and the 10 kids will live on the peak...

Hmmm...

I like it! lol

Well, except for the part where I'd have to create Yet Another neighborhood and keep track of Yet Another Gregsim.

Gregsim and She are still in college, aren't they? Just move them to the mountaintop when they graduate...

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:22 pm
Well... actually... I'm a little behind in telling the story of Happy Valley. embarrassed

They graduated and moved back to town, living in The Houstonian. Giles and Frieda are the caretakers of Manse Orleans now, where they are raising their own family.

On the other hand, I don't have any mountaintop lots in the Happy Valley neighborhood and there's no way to edit the neighborhood once you have imported it into the game, so I couldn't move them to the mountaintop anyhow.

janneke
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:09 am
okay, but do you all buy the expansions? and is it worth it? i mean... can't you just download it to check it out
or... just download more furniture and stuff???? i love to decorate....!!!!
it seems like those expensions don't give that much more for the money...unless you get them all.... but that cost a lot!!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:32 am
It would really cost a lot, or seem like it, if you bought them all at once. But when they release one a year and you buy it (spending $35-$50 for each game) it really isn't all that much per year. Look at other addictions like smoking where you will easily spend $50 a MONTH and that isn't even a very big habit. I don't smoke, but my hubby does and every time he buys a pack of cigarettes, my practical mind thinks of all the different ways the money could be used or saved. (That's why I never play quarter or dollar slots in Vegas....put in the coin, pull the handle, and say to myself "there goes groceries" or "there goes that new pair of shoes".) But I love to spend my $20 limit on nickel slots!

Now, for your second question, Janeke...hehe...I buy the expansions so that I can create the new stuff. The way Maxis works is....if you clone or recolor something that comes from a certain expansion pack, you have to have that expansion pack installed for it to work. That's the way it is in Sims1 AND Sims2. Maybe not so much in Sims2 if you can get the mesh somewhere and clone it from a base item from one of the expansion packs you DO have. But unless you are an expert hacker, there are some things you can't do with the item unless it's cloned from an identical one in the expansion pack from which it came. Does this all make sense?

I've been creating for 2 years now (Sims1 and Sims2) and STILL have more to learn than I think I ever will.

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
miros1
Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:07 am
I don't buy the "stuff" packs. For the same money, I can get nicer stuff from Artistic Habitats! Not to mention all the problems people have had with FFS makes me very leary of Glamor Stuff.

I do buy the "big" expansions. They have more stuff, and it has the unique functionality that Marmy talks about.

BTW, Greg, when you finally install NL or OFB, you can just add a custom Downtown or Suburbia with the mountain in the middle...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:01 pm
miros1 wrote:
... BTW, Greg, when you finally install NL or OFB, you can just add a custom Downtown or Suburbia with the mountain in the middle...

Oh, that's right! With those expansion packs you can have additional neighborhoods within neighborhoods so that the same characters can move around! That's cool!

Sims 1 Expansion Packs
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:46 pm
Just thought I would toss my 2 cents into the "Sims 1 Expansion Pack" discussion....

I have 'em all (individual & am now "upgraded" to stait Complete Collecetion) and I suppose my main motivation for that is I like "complete" things! (Same with Zoo Tycoon. I never do much with the Dino Digs things, but I gotta have 'em!) Plus I know that I can use more user-made things, which is one of my favorite things about this game. For me, the most "usless" EP was Super Star (or, as I saw one poster call it, Stupid Star) but hey, I got more cool objects to toy with out of the deal! As for Unleashed, I- personally- really enjoy it, but I'm a die-hard Dog-Aholic so....

Just wanted to get my little post in!

-ZW

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:10 pm
I installed Unleased and Super Star, but never played either one at all. I think I might have spent one or two nights with Makin' Magic stuff, but after that I could never get into it.

Perhaps that's why I'm having difficulty getting motivated to install any Sims 2 expansion packs after University. I like my toy the way it is and have lots of fun with it, so there's just not much incentive to risk messing it up.

The one expansion pack that I would really like, that EA will never develop, is The Sims Get Real. In that one, they'd totally rewrite the personality module and give you a lot more control over the game, especially the ability to completely eliminate stuff you don't want.

PrincessAnneliese
Super SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:04 pm
Greg wrote:
miros1 wrote:
Let me guess, you're gonna make a mountain neighborhood and Gregsim and the wife and the 10 kids will live on the peak...

Hmmm...

I like it! lol

Well, except for the part where I'd have to create Yet Another neighborhood and keep track of Yet Another Gregsim.

Me to! cheers
Re: Sims 1 Expansion Packs
kelly
Ruler of The Sim Republic
Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:49 pm
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
Just thought I would toss my 2 cents into the "Sims 1 Expansion Pack" discussion....

I have 'em all (individual & am now "upgraded" to stait Complete Collecetion) and I suppose my main motivation for that is I like "complete" things! (Same with Zoo Tycoon. I never do much with the Dino Digs things, but I gotta have 'em!) Plus I know that I can use more user-made things, which is one of my favorite things about this game. For me, the most "usless" EP was Super Star (or, as I saw one poster call it, Stupid Star) but hey, I got more cool objects to toy with out of the deal! As for Unleashed, I- personally- really enjoy it, but I'm a die-hard Dog-Aholic so....

Just wanted to get my little post in!

-ZW

Were there any new items added to that Complete Set? I remember Double Deluxe had extras like that space theme and roman theme, and the create a sim..

I have all the eps for the sims 1, my favorite was Makin Magic for that nice mediterranean kitchen:) and also I liked unleashed, cute little dogs..
Least favorite, probably superstar.. I hated that except for the spa stuff. I tried becoming a superstar once, and the obsessed fan was too annoying. So that was the end of that:)
flower
wav

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:16 pm
As far as I can tell, Sims1 CC included everything from all the EXPs, plus all the offical Patches/Items that were available from the Offical Maxis Site. Well, ALMOST everything! For whatever reason, the Reversed 12-Steps In Stone staircase was NOT included, and I still had to get it from the Maxis site. (This must be a "thing" with these Complete Collections, since Zoo Tycoon1 Complete Collection was missing the Sable Antelope....but that's for another forum! )

I mostly have it because of my strange "must have it all" mentality, plus it's a whole lot easier to do an emergencey wipe/re-install with 4 disks and 1 Serial Number than 7 disks and 7 Serial Numbers!

I agree with you about Super Star. Of all the EXPs, this one was- in my opinion- the weakest link. Of coarse that probabely has more to do with me and my "playing style preference" than anything I can blame Maxis for.....but I perfer to blame them!

Unleashed is still my fav, though! Love them doggies!

-ZW

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:22 pm
Wow! I didn't realize it came on 4 cds! That must be so much quicker to install... I only installed the Double Deluxe the other week to start making things for that again... I just never had the time to sit here and install all of those, it seemed to take forever..
One of these days I will get them all back in..

I played Zoo Tycoon 1 as well... Didn't like Zoo Tycoon 2 too much, lol.. Actually, not at all.. Them animals and people, kinda floated instead of walked, lol flower

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:09 pm
kelly wrote:
Least favorite, probably superstar.. I hated that except for the spa stuff. I tried becoming a superstar once, and the obsessed fan was too annoying. So that was the end of that:)
flower
wav

I kind of cheated. I had a male Sim use the marriage spell to marry a SuperStar, so she started with about 3 stars. I also discovered if you just ignore the fan, your Sim will too. Just keep him or her very busy when the fan's around. You might also want to build a wall around your home lot; I never had him go in the house although my husband's nephew claims he went in and stole something.

Why do YOU buy expansions?