Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Why do YOU buy expansions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Why do YOU buy expansions?
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:30 am
I just realized last night while talking with Liss that probably the only reason I buy an expansion set is for the new stuff they make available to the Sims. I've never taken a Sim on a vacation and I've never spent any time in Magic Town. I'm sure I should probably experience that at least once. But do you buy your expansion to play or as more fodder for your decorating cannon?

:confused2:

Marmy
laughingoracle
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:36 am
I buy the expansions mainly for the new things they add for decorating and fun/skills at home. Never once have any of my Sims gone on vacation, and only a few times downtown, seems I use old town most frequently and magic town occasionally. I think me getting all the expansions ties into that downloading addiction I have. lol
Seravina
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:43 am
definatly fodder...

My daughter however takes them on Vacation, Downtown, The Community, and to Magic Town. I think I took them to those areas like 1 time after I got the expansion.

I don't even play though, I just design/decorate, switch it to another neighborhood and let my daughter play with the house smile
Bug fixes for the previous expansion?
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:10 pm
Seriously, I bought an expansion pack just because it had the fix for the Build mode bug!

Rose/Miros
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:44 pm
I love the expansions. I love the magic town/vacation/downtown/etc lots. I take my sims there often. I also love the extra "stuff" that comes with the game. I love studio town and magic town the most. I love the little "quests" in magic town, and the fame builders in studio town. You all know though that I'm a compulsive cheater so I keep refresher objects on all the lots LOL

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
greatdane
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:49 pm
I think Ive went on vacation a couple of times. Ive used Old Town a few times but not a lot.. Ive never taken then downtown tho LOL. I did use the studio times some to try out the new careers lol

Lise

Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:27 am
Well the main reason I have even added Stupid Star is the actions that came with that EP..

I like to tell Stories.. yeah I am a big liar... :winky:

So having all the EP's just makes that more fun..

blue patty aka The Liar I guess :razz4:

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:57 pm
My primary motivation for buying all the expansions was to be compatible with the Sims artists, but each one of them came with some nifty new toys (and bug fixes) that make the game more fun.

Magic Town was pretty much a one-shot wonder. After exploring what there was to do there, I never went back. It was amusing once. I never had my sims do any magic. In fact, I would prefer an option to just turn off all the occult stuff so that it doesn't even appear in my game.

For me, the most wasted expansion pack is Unleashed. None of my sims ever had pets. I just didn't enjoy the little that you could do with them, and there really isn't anything in the expansion pack that I would miss if it weren't there.

Superstar was interesting because it came with some neat stuff, but I never had a sim on a show business career track. No interest here.

Hot date gave the sims some place to go and expanded their little universe, so that was good. However, I very rarely sent a sim downtown. It was mostly an exhausting and frustrating experience.

The new items and interactions in House Party added the most to my game. It fixed some of the things I didn't like about the original game and I liked the new toys that came with it.

Re:Why do YOU buy expansions?
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:36 am
I guess I bought them cos I'm addicted :surprised4:

:frown:

I'm ploughing through a massive reinstall of Sims 1 - it's all Patty's fault. Oh and don't call yourself a liar, you aren't!

:mad4:

I've got as far as installing MM and I am trying SS one last time. No downloads no nothing else.

I know what you mean, Greg, several EPs each add only one or two extras... it's the interactions and animations I like best and those are probably better done by the users, in many cases. :1eye:

I like the objects in SS and MM very much; and regards interactions in a way I guess I'm back in Sims 1-land because in Sims 2, even with University, there isn't that much to DO. Apart from marry em off and raise kids. Just like when you play Sims 1 or Sims 1 up to Hot Date. And I do love the building options so of course I will be back to Sims 2... eventually :shades1:
miros1
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:31 pm
Actually, if you use MM and SS together, you get some nice results easily...

My Sim Lars Larson married (using The Big Question) (and tried to kill) Susan Somebody, but then backed out the last minute (at literally, she almost starved)! She then proceded to use Smiley Face and he used Get Happy (on her) to speed her advance through the Super Star career to 4.5 stars. She seems to be stuck there at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get her the full 5 stars soon!

I think all my Sims use Smiley Face and relationship boost to get enough friends to get promoted now. I've got a military Sim about to become an Astronaut!

I do love the skill teaching objects in MM -- no more bookcases!

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:22 pm
oo sounds like there are things in MM I haven't discovered yet!

Now I'm back to Unleashed. The install with all of them broke bah... now I remember why I was so pleased with S2...
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:31 am
I bought all the Sims 1 expansions but stopped after Unleashed because then I knew Sims 2 was coming and of course the next expansions wouldn't be compatible. It seemed like a waste to me then to buy more expansions knowing I would be using them for only a very limited amount of time.

I'll be happy with the next Sims 2 expansion because it will finally give some of the Hot Date stuff back. That expansion is what I've missed most with Sims 2.

-SCG
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:07 am
I'd say that I got my money's worth of entertainment from Makin' Magic. I love the music! It made it fun to just start up the game. And although I never built an amusement park it was fun to play with the Maxian ones.

Of all the features I've heard about in Night Life, the ability to see the neighborhood from your lot is my favorite. I'd buy it just for that!

Being able to get into a car and drive downtown ranks a close second in my mind.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:55 am
Sita wrote:
oo sounds like there are things in MM I haven't discovered yet!

Now I'm back to Unleashed. The install with all of them broke bah... now I remember why I was so pleased with S2...

The spells are like cheats in my mind... but since Maxis made them, they're LEGAL! I can't wait to try a round of T&J with Smiley Face, Get Happy, Relationship Boost, and Love Struck...

Just remember to PLAY the game for a couple minutes between expansion pack installs. You don't have to save, just load it up so the game will update its own files.

Quote:
the ability to see the neighborhood from your lot is my favorite

Let me guess, you're gonna make a mountain neighborhood and Gregsim and the wife and the 10 kids will live on the peak...

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:29 pm
miros1 wrote:
Let me guess, you're gonna make a mountain neighborhood and Gregsim and the wife and the 10 kids will live on the peak...

Hmmm...

I like it! lol

Well, except for the part where I'd have to create Yet Another neighborhood and keep track of Yet Another Gregsim.

Why do YOU buy expansions?