Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :dl: Sim has a job but her ride doesn't show up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:57 pm
While I'm waiting for this bally thing to create the package, I'll add another note about the anomaly I'm struggling with.

In the orginal household another sim was already at the top of the medical career. She has the same problem now -- the limousine shows up but she won't get into it. So I had her find another job. She's back in the medical track but demoted to General Practitioner.

I'm wondering if the bug is related to the fact that I had the Testing Cheats enabled when the first problem childhood grew up to be an adult.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:59 pm
Ouch! The .Sims2Pack is 44 megabytes! I'd better see if I can get the family out of there before I put it on line.

I have a theory that if I install the same house in Baumbdoubt Valley and then have Jana and Roger move out by being befriended into another household, that will leave the furnishings in place. The house is neither fully furnished nor fully finished, but I think it was the setup for the wedding that really caught Liss's eye so I want to see if I can include that in the package.

Last edited by Greg on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:36 pm
Greg wrote:
Not to mention Moon Sims and The Pearl! (Please don't mention The Pearl! Grin)

Actually, I'm bored with the nudes I have now... I'm off to the Pearl to get new ones (although since Unleashed fouled up custom nudes, so i've just got to pick 6 adult skins total).

Rose/Miros
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:39 pm
Unleashed fouled up custom nudes?

Almost all my characters have custom nudes, and I have Unleashed installed.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:48 pm
Meanwhile, back to the sidetrack where I'm working on getting that house packaged up for Liss -- I think I've done it! It was an amusing exercise, though. You might enjoy the Comedy of Errors.

First, I had to get Jana and Roger out of the house because the .Sims2Pack was hugely humongously huge. So I started by exporting the house from Happy Valley and then installing it in Baumdoubt Valley.

Since Baumdoubt Valley has exactly the same terrain and street layout, and the area where I had built the house in Happy Valley was clear in Baumdoubt Valley, that part was very straightforward.

I thought I'd just befriend Jana and Roger into some other household where they had a huge house with lots of space. This goes quickly, thanks to the Sim Logical teleporter (to bring people into the house quickly) and the Tombstone of Life and Death.

... to be continued...

Last edited by Greg on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:59 pm
The closest mansion was Greystoke, home of John Clayton and his family. The Claytons live just down the street from the Stewarts' new location in Baumdoubt Valley.

Greystoke Manor

So I teleported in John and within a minute he was friends with Roger. Roger had to skip work that day, but I figured that was recoverable. (Besides, it didn't happen on Roger's main timeline in Happy Valley.)

Then I saved the Stewart house and went over to visit Greystoke.

Yup, as soon as Roger teleported in (note the teleporter painting behind him), John invited him to join the family and he accepted; but...

"Oops!" says John Clayton. "I think I just learned that both my wife and my grandfather's wife are pregnant, because there's no room for the Stewarts! Why do we need this monstrous mansion anyway? I really prefer my nice villa in Kenya!"

... still more to come...

Last edited by Greg on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:25 pm
... the plot thickens...

So, I hastily departed from Greystoke Manor and drove all the way across town to the home of Donald and Valerie Matson. The Matsons were just bouncing around in this huge empty mansion, now that their adopted daughter (Meadow Thayer, remember her?) has grown up and moved out.

Meadow moved in with that infamous reprobate, Gregsim, and his wife (in Baumdoubt Valley), Dallas. Actually, she married both of them.

Manse Matson

Without those big teenager parties going on every night, things were getting kind of lonely around the Matson place. Since the guys couldn't get it straight, this time Jana went to negotiate with Valerie Matson.

Jana talks to Valerie

Of course, Valerie (the one wearing nought but her dainties) was happy to have the Stewarts move in with them. Donald seemed to like the idea of having them around, too.

Amusingly, the blonde gal who is standing there thinking about hiring a nanny is Dallas. She's just visiting. She was gossiping with Valerie (probably about Meadow) when Jana popped in.

So it was done deal. The Stewarts had a new place to live. Jana had the moving van pick up their clothes and just abandoned all the furniture and stuff down there at 215 S Happy Valley Road. All they needed to do was wait for Roger to show up from work.

Finally, along came Roger! Just as he was heading into their new home for the first time, who should he run into but Jane, wife of John Clayton!

He had a merry time trying to explain to Jane why it was that they almost moved into to Greystoke Manor, but jilted the Claytons in favor of the Matsons!

(So, have I dropped enough hints yet about who John Clayton is?) Grin

... in the next episode, we finally get to the house that started all this...

:dl: Stewart House
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:46 pm
... epilogue...

At long last, here is the house that Liss wanted!

Since it's such a big file, I put it in the metered space on the SimsHost server. Here's a direct download link:
215 S Happy Valley Road
2.87 MB Zip File
Unzip the .Sims2Pack file and then double-click it to install in your game.

(However, just for Liss: Look in your /dl directory. Grin)

WARNING: This house has not had the game hacks cleaned out of it. You might want to use the Clean Installer from MTS2 (if you can't find it, which I can't at the moment) to tidy up the file to avoid the risk of installing hacks you don't want.

The house probably contains WoohooTeen_6 which I believe conflicts with other versions of the teen woohoo hack. (But WoohooTeen_6 is the only one that comes with the convenient feature of being able to invite teen townies to join your household.)

It also probably has hacks that stop sims from cheering about an A+ on their report cards, the phone hack, the no-dumb-dance-invitations hack, the no-route-fail-tantrum hack, and no doubt some others.

The refrigerator is the Sim Logical no-autonomy fridge and the fruit painting is the Sim Logical teleporter. That tombstone off to the south side of the house is the Tombstone of Life and Death.

... next we'll take a tour of the house...

Last edited by Greg on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:33 am; edited 5 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:10 pm
215 S Happy Valley Road is an approximation of the real Jana and Roger's house, which is a big 6-bedroom farmhouse near Springfield, Illinois.

The Sims 2 version turned out too big because I didn't plan it carefully enough but it has the basic archictetural features of the real house. Perhaps the most notable features are the huge stone fireplace, the two-and-a-half story living room, and the huge wooden deck out back.

The real house also has a four-car garage and a small shed out back, which are not represented in the Sim version. Neither is the long gravel drive that leads through woods up to the house, nor the acres and acres of corn fields that stretch all the way to the horizon out back.

For real accuracy I ought to get the police squad car from Killersims and park it in the driveway. (Jana and Roger live in a very low-crime neighborhood; the squad car might have something to do with that.)

So, here's why I don't simply jump in and make the house smaller to better represent the real thing:

The house has a full basement. As with real life, once the foundations are poured, you're pretty much committed.

... more...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:24 pm
... 215 S Happy Valley Road, continued...

First Floor

In the real house, the empty area to the left holds three bedrooms. The front bathroom in that wing is quite a water palace with a Roman tub and separate showers, but I usually don't build big bathrooms in Sims houses. (Instead I build lots of little ones because it makes game play easier.)

There should be a big round table in the kitchen and more cabinets on the empty walls, filled with all sorts of interesting knick-knacks. My favorite is a cookie jar shaped like a chubby little cop. When you lift his hat he says in a loud command voice: "Move AWAY from the cookie jar!" They also have a lot of NASCAR memorabilia, so if I redecorate I might do something fun with Kelly's NASCAR walls.

Second Floor

I haven't finished the bedrooms on the second floor yet. There are three of them, total. The way the upstairs hallway overlooks the atrium living room is real. Of course the double staircase is a compromise for game play.

This house also has a full attic but I haven't put in a staircase to it yet.

... Next: What's Weird About the Garden ...

Last edited by Greg on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:47 pm
At long last, we come to the garden at 215 S Happy Valley Road, which is set for Jana and Roger's wedding.

The Garden, South End

The chairs are lined up in front of the Wedding Arch that way for a reason -- it's where the Sims want to sit. I had to choose between double-spacing the rows of chairs or providing a center aisle and chose the aisle because it's more traditional and also lets me pack more chairs into the same amount of real estate. However, even with easy access to the chairs, the sims will still whine about not being able to get to the chair they've chosen.

Hence, the televisions. The televisions are there to entice the wedding guests to take their seats before the ceremony. It's the closest we've got to a prenuptual organ recital. When it's time for the big show, I just jump into Buy Mode and delete the televisions.

The chairs facing the crowd on either side of the wedding arch are for the bride and groom. Having them plunk down in those chairs assure that they won't be blocked from the wedding arch by the crowd when the big moment arrives.

The white room at the left is the guest lock. It is equipped with the Sim Logical Targetable Doors and visitors are banned from going through the doors. The white picked fence keeps wedding guests corraled until the festivities begin.

Otherwise they'd all try to pack into the little family room where the really fun television is located. You can imagine what it would be like to have 40 people packed into that one room! (This happened once in real life. You couldn't even turn around without bumping somebody. So I was stuck talking to my pretty cousin Jenny the whole time. Darn.)

... now we turn around and look the other way (which is a good idea if you can do it just before mom and Aunt Marion catch you flirting with your pretty cousin Jenny)...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:13 pm
I'm out of screen shots so this must be the last one! Grin

The Wedding Garden -- North End

Obviously this end of the garden is set for a catered formal dinner for after the wedding, right down to having two dishwashers and a trash compactor standing by.

Those two white buildings are 1x3 bathrooms. The two small tables await the wedding cake and the champagne bottle. At some large weddings I've found that they can need as many as six bathrooms at the same time -- sims tend to keep toasting until they're qualified for an Olympic Gold Medal for Bladder Control -- but this at least will get them through to the point that I can unlock to door to the main house.

The paintings to either side of the bathroom doors are Inge Jones's Sim Logical teleporter paintings. These play an important role in all my big weddings.

It's possible to just invite people over before the wedding and then keep them happy and comfortable until time for the ceremonies, but that's not practical for a wedding this size. I can't image Jana and Roger getting married without inviting the Bennetts, the Stewarts, and of course the families that all the Bennett and Stewart kids married into -- the Frankses, the Baybraces, the Lunds, the Van Curas.

And then there are their best friends, which in real life would mean inviting every person in town, but the game can't handle that. The population of Happy Valley has grown to more than 300 sims!

I have one more bit of strategy in mind: Jana and Roger haven't hired a maid yet. I figure if I can get them to make the call at just the right time, Lucy will show up and help clean up during the dinner.

That's the only way I know of to hire cleaning help for a big party unless you have a baby in the family and can bring in a nanny. I've tried hiring a bartender but he turned out to be worse than worthless. All he did was carry a tray of drinks around all night and get in people's way.

And that, at long last, is the end of the story of the wedding house!

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:27 pm
Greg wrote:
Unleashed fouled up custom nudes?

Almost all my characters have custom nudes, and I have Unleashed installed.

Let me guess, you patiently went through and named each nude skin to match the clothing the Sim was wearing? So what happens when the Sim changes his/her normal clothes? Let me guess, Barbie and Ken time again...

Rose/Miros
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:32 pm
Naw. Default nude time again.

But yes, I created a lot of nude skins to match the outfit the sims were wearing. Many of them were duplicates of others.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:38 pm
I really liked the Hot Date method of doing nudes... You picked them with SimWardrobe or SimEnhancer and the filename was stored in the User????.iff file, so each Sim could have their own personal nude skin which didn't change when they changed their clothes.

But naturally, Maxis had to break that method...

Rose/Miros
:dl: Sim has a job but her ride doesn't show up