Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic SimPE Shut Down Due To Unhandled Exception
SimPE Shut Down Due To Unhandled Exception
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:25 am
I got an error message that read: "SimPE will shut down due to an unhandled exception."

I thought I would be clever and do a screen shot of the rather lengthy stack trace so that I could show it to you, but alas, when I pasted the image into Photoshop all I had was a shot of my Windows desktop.

So, all I can report is:
a. I encountered that error while browsing a character file (N004_User00688.package).
b. I hadn't saved or edited anything.
c. This file is for a regular player character randomly generated for the game by the Tombstone of Life and Death.
d. I had opened file N004_User00608.package in SimPE by first finding the character in the Sim Browser, then right-click and paste the filename into an Open File dialog box.
e. When I click on OK and got back to Windows, I found a dialog box complaining that my printer driver failed to load (which is endemic to that machine -- happens all the time, not related to SimPE). So the interrupt from Windows might have been the culprit.
f. I restarted the machine and found one of those worthless alerts from Symantec about a virus outbreak that I'm protected against. So that might have been another source of an interrupt from Windows that cratered SimPE.
g. At the time SimPE was shut down, I had the SimPE window not maximized. (Is there an elegant way to say "not maximized"?)
h. I've never before had SimPE shut down due to an error, and also this was the first time I'd tried not having the window maximized. So there might possibly be some obscure connection there.

All of which leads me to ask:
1. Are error reports of this kind of any value?
2. Is there a way to capture that stack trace information other than writing it all down by hand?
3. Is there some particularly valuable subset of the stack trace information that would be worth noting?
4. Got a clue as to what I did wrong?

(Obviously I don't know enough about programming for Windows to know what's useful for debugging and what's not. I'm thinking that writing down the whole stack dump by hand and then typing it into a message is more tedium than I can discipline myself to do, and the result would probably be full of typographical errors anyhow.)

Quaxi
Most Excellent SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:31 pm
I am working on an imporved error Handling Engine. With you you can just copy/paste the Error Message.

And in the next line (after the Unhandled Exception thing) you normaly get another Message that desdribes the Error in more detail.

The description was very detailed, but what was the last thing you did before the Exception happened?
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:07 pm
A bit off topic and back to Greg's original post.....if you hold down your alt key while you take a screen shot, it will take a shot of the active program only and leave out your desktop.....

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:14 pm
As I recall, the error happened a few seconds after...

1. Started SimPE
2. Used Neighborhood Browser to open N004
3. Used Sim Browser to open N004_User00688.package
4. Used Sim Browser to open some other sim
5. Used Sim Browser to go back to N004_User00688.package
6. Right-click to copy the filepath to the clipboard
7. File Open
8. Control-V to paste the filepath into the File Open dialog box.
9. Open the file.
10. Stared at the screen, hoping to absorb some modicum of wisdom by osmosis.

The process terminated some seconds later, long enough that it didn't seem to be directly related to opening the file.

I remember which sim it was because she has a very distinctive appearance -- black teenage gal with bright blue eyes and a really bad red-hair dye job. Just to check, I tweaked the sim ("Emmy Zaidi") so now she's in private school, a little nicer, a better cook, and interested in lots of stuff. Started up the game and yup, all is well; the edits went in just fine.

It's probably not related to the error, but the lot where Emmy lives is rather unique: Emmy is in a household that has 14 sims in it, all of them created by the Tombstone of Life and Death. I think Cherry Perry (the one that nobody can talk to) was living in the same house at the time, too. If I recall correctly, I was looking at normal sims to see how Cherry Perry compared to them.

SimPE Shut Down Due To Unhandled Exception