Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Lost a whole sub-neighbourhood
Lost a whole sub-neighbourhood
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:46 am
I went to play a University, a sub-neighbourhood of a large Hood I played with lots of other people's Sims in - Anja was there for instance....

and the uni wouldn't load.
Just showed alternatedly a flash of completely balck screen and the Uni leading screen.
shocked

Never got as far as the Neighbourhood screen.

I'm jumpy about damaged files, so I deleted the whole Hood. There might have been a way to save it with SimPE but I am not a fan of that program.
hiding

SO now I am not making stories about any other people's Sims... and I suppose I could consider that Hood a victim of IPR.

Wish I knew why it got broken though.

Good old EA<== never fail to amaze me.

I am glad I have Second Life so at least I know the bugs are not only made by EA. (Yes, that is buggy too smile
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:38 pm
That makes me nervous, too. I suspect that the problem was caused by a bit of nasy code embedded in some object that you downloaded from somewhere. I've had downloads that caused my game to crash, too.

Right now I have a folder that I'm slowly whittling down, named "Bad File In Here Somewhere". Every once in a while I slip a few more things into my game to see if it crashes. It goes slowly because most of the time I just not in the mood for testing things, and when I am, it takes about an hour per test.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:47 pm
Assuming it's not something caused by 2 downloads working together or against each other, the 50% method is fastest.

1) Put 50% of "unknown" stuff in. Keep this stuff segregated from your known good stuff.
2) Does it work? Yes: repeat step 1. No: Remove that half and put the other half in.
3) Does it work? Yes: repeat step 1. No: treat the two halves as separate problems. Or you've got a corrupt Maxis file. Or you've got something that interacts with an "known good" file.

This will take at most n iterations where 2^n > number of downloads > 2^(n-1)

Remember, 2^n gets real big real fast!

This assumes you've checked it all out with SimWardrobe's Hack Conflict Detector and Delphy's Download Organizer and resolved problems that they detect.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:42 pm
Well I'm too much of a coward, or maybe too impatient I guess. I've done the whittle down downloads thing so many times in the past.

The Hood is gone.

The odd thing about it is that all my other Hoods appear to be fine. I have had problems where the game just wouldn't start, which seem to have been about downloads. This didn't feel the same somehow. I've never seen the loading screen flash black like that before, it spooked me.
miros1
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:23 pm
The bit about the 50% method was actually for Mr. Procrastinator himself.

BTW, if your game refuses to start, most likely the cache files have gotten corrupt. Just rename them to something else and try again; your game should start and recreate good cache files.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:04 am
Yup. Mr. Procrastinator has been using the binary division method. It's STILL slow. It takes between 20 minutes and a half hour to start my game, so most of the times when I want to start my game, I don't want to mess with testing downloads.

Addendum: The other problem is that the crash is a major pain. The game stops during the loading process. Recovery requires, at a minimum, using the Task Manager to blow it away. Sometimes it requires a hard power-cycling reboot.

The place in gets hung up is "Proscribing Plebian Palates" if that means anything. I just now tried to start with some new downloads from MTS2 and it happened again, dang it. It gets old very, very fast.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:44 am
No, that is what I am saying... it wasn't that kind of crash. The game had loaded, I had been playing in Sant'Isadora, the base neighbourhood's Downtown, for some time.
Then I tried to go to its University sub-neighbourhood.

So I really, really don't think it was the fault of a download.

Not that it matters now. very sad I just wondered if that sort of problem had ever hit anyone else.
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:38 pm
argh! okay okay maybe it was a download.

(I went on a spree, you see... and now my other Hoods don't load either)

munky2

Trying the SimWardrobe Hack thing now. Didn't know about that one.
Re: Lost a whole sub-neighbourhood
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:27 pm
Sita wrote:
Good old EA<== never fail to amaze me.

I still remember when my favorite evaporated and left a black spot behind. It magically re-spawned after installing seasons shocked

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:53 am
Well, all gone. It stopped working even with NO downloads.

So I spent all day yesterday reinstalling and patchin and am now very slowly pulling in my downloads again.

Gives me an excuse for a spring clean I spose.

I have the old Hoods as a backup, maybe I can pull them back in. But I am not counting chickens, that doesn't always seem to work. scratch

wav for Sims 2, EA and buggy software.... certainly keeps me out of mischief.
miros1
Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:15 am
Gah! This is sooo nasty!

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:45 pm
I actually started to play Second Life most of the time after that, as I was so fed up of the whole buggy game thing.... mind you SL is buggy too. But at least it is persistent! shocked

These days I am playing both SL and Sims 2 Seasons, on a 75% to 25% ratio I reckon.
Lost a whole sub-neighbourhood