Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Lot Time Thingy
Lot Time Thingy
LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:16 pm
Awhile back I wondered about ways to tell how old a given sim is, if they've been a heavy partaker of elixir, and Greg mentioned a "lot timer" or something. Mention it again please! Thanks. blush
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:39 pm
The "lot sync timer" is from More Awesome Than You. When you start playing a lot, you set it to Day 1. So any time you want to see how long you've been playing a lot, you just click the timer (looks like an elixir dispenser) and it will say Day 78 or whatever.

When the kids move out, you just set their timers to the same as the parents. That way, you know which lots you're playing more.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs There's a readme in the zip file. Read it!

The message board is at http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf but them people is nasty!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:44 pm
Well so, let's be nasty here, too. Within my experience, the Lot Timer is pretty close to worthless. I've found that having to keep track of its settings is more bother than just keeping track of how old each sim is.

I keep track by making notes in the family photo albums. The first entry in almost every photo album is "Monday, Day 1, 8:30 AM: blah blah blah."

I just thought of a potentially better method: Make a note in the character description and update it as required. Make sure to note a character's age any time he moves out.

miros1
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:52 pm
Keep track? Huh? How long has it been since you used it?

You click on it, and it tells you the current day in every house in the 'hood that has one installed.

There's an "event timer" now.... You can use it to help make sure your houses stay "in sync," for example, to send kids to college together, etc. You can also see the list of events by clicking on the timer.

LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:59 pm
Greg wrote:
Well so, let's be nasty here, too.

Let's be hasty? Rush rush rushes off to d/l. geek
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:06 am
miros1 wrote:
Keep track? Huh? How long has it been since you used it?

You click on it, and it tells you the current day in every house in the 'hood that has one installed.

There's an "event timer" now.... You can use it to help make sure your houses stay "in sync," for example, to send kids to college together, etc. You can also see the list of events by clicking on the timer.

Yup. If none of your sims ever leave the household, then there's some value to the Lot Timer. Otherwise, it's pretty much worthless.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:42 am
well, is there any good way to keep track? I try to play families more or less in rotation. I did try the Lot Sync thing. But it comes with a health warning, if you delete it without uninstalling it, it will break stuff. I did and it does. Haven't forgiven it for that, even though it was my fault. hiding
miros1
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:33 am
Greg wrote:
Yup. If none of your sims ever leave the household, then there's some value to the Lot Timer. Otherwise, it's pretty much worthless.

Um, when my Sim kids move out (or back from Uni), I just set their timer to be the same as their parents' (or enough days later to allow for their Uni studies, if you've played through in one fell swoop). You click on it, find out what day it is on the parents' lot, set it the same...

The slightly confusing part is that I end up with several houses with the same name, so I can't easily tell which houses are "behind"!

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:15 am
I NEVER play any one family for more than a few days at a stretch, and my students tend to be at Uni for a very long time happy3 so something like this would be good.

I did try the make a database idea, but it got too complicated keeping track of so many. And I tried the Sims 2DB but last time I checked it wasn't updated for Pets yet, never mind Seasons.
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:22 pm
After I installed seasons I just keep track of the playtime of the lot from the current season. I don't use the "change season" reward