Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic downloads help...please
downloads help...please
newnew
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:27 pm
it is me again, however this time i have a question about sims2...finally i got this game. i have tried everthing to download objects...says they are installed but i cant find them anywhere...i have the university pack with the game...thank you
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:07 pm
This is procedure I use:
1) Download into folders by site or creator.
2) Unzip files if necessary.
3) Use MultiSims2PackInstaller or Clean Installer to install any Sims2Pack files.
4) Drag .package files to My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads/name of site.

If you want a simpler way, use Sims2FileMaid.

Good luck!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:38 am
Is it that you can't find the files on your computer or that they don't show up in your game?

Where to put the files

Most downloads will end up in a folder under My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\

Note that it's under "My Documents," not under "Program Files." There's also a path to a folder for The Sims 2 under Program Files, but that's the program and its supporting files.

If you download a .sims2pack, the stuff might end up under ...\The Sims 2\SavedSims.

Why files don't show up in your game

If they're not showing up in your game, it could be:

1. You're looking in the wrong place. You might have downloaded a recolor of an existing object; in which case the recolor will appear when you click on the original object in your catalog. Paintings can be especially pesky to find because they're all basically the same shape.

They also might be in an obscure category. Some fan creations only show up if you select something like "Miscellaneous... All."

2. You're missing an important file. If the item uses a custom mesh, it probably needs 2 files, both the mesh and the texture. It's really common for fan artists to do recolors of things like hair meshes and send you off to another site to get a different fan artist's mesh.

3. The preview portrait is wrong. I'm not sure why this happens, but especially for downloaded sims, sometimes the picture in the catalog isn't what you get. Click on things in the catalog to find out.

4. There might be an internal ID conflict. The "Sims 2 Pack Clean Installer" from MTS2 can help sort out what you've got.

Also, there's a program called "Hack Conflict Detector" which I use often to see if two files affect the same program code, but it's probably not applicable here and at the moment I can't remember who wrote it.

newnew
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:22 pm
i installed the simsmaid and it said everything was installed but i cant find anything in the game , i have looked everywhere
miros1
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:24 pm
You're saying there's nothing in:
My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads/
My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/SavedSims/
My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Teleport/

or that they don't show up in your catalog?

If it's the second, make sure custom content is enabled, quit the game, and restart it.

newnew
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:18 pm
they arent showing up in the catalogue
miros1
Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:10 pm
Do you get the dialog when the game first starts asking if you want to enable custom content?

If no, you need to turn that dialog on. I believe this is how to turn it on: With a lot open, click the ... icon, then the icon that looks like Gears. I'm not sure what the exact text is, but it will be something like "Show Custom Content Dialog." Click that, then Apply or Save Settings. Quit the game and restart. The dialog should now show up.

If yes (or you've just turned the dialog on), make sure Enable is checked, quit the game, and restart it. You may have to do this a couple times.

downloads help...please