Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic I began taking some German lessons
I began taking some German lessons
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:54 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/lj/

The BBC is giving online free courses of languages and I've always wanted to learn that one. Time will come when I know what Peake is posting.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:27 pm
Use altavista.com's Babel fish, it's quicker...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:04 pm
argh. No!

Peake, having spent the last three days trying to converse with a Spanish guy who has no English using babelfish (live, online in Second Life) - it is NOT easy or quick.

(I need to be able to wave my hands in the air when I am talking in a strange language!)

Back to the BBC..... Good old Beeb. I think that's where I learned my little bit of Russian and most of my Italian.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:10 pm
This is cool! I've dabbled in the world's languages all my life, but the only languages I've ever learned to speak fluently are Virginian and Texan, along with a smattering of Illynoise and a smidgeon of Western Canuk.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:43 pm
Well git out there and learn some!

Seriously it helps you get insight into the way other people think, other paradigms, if you speak the language, even if badly.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:24 am
Yup, that's why I study languages. I just don't try to learn to speak them.

F'rinstance, I've had years of Spanish and can read and write it, but when I try to listen to people speaking it in person or on television, I can only catch every 4th or 5th word.

But I have invested quite a bit of time studying German, French, Italian, Swedish, Dutch, Russian, Hebrew, Japanese, and Vietnamese; and maybe some others that I can't think of at the moment.

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:41 am
Japanese drove me crazy in college. UGH!!

I had 7 years of French - 4 in high school and 3 in college, and I feel the same as Greg with Spanish. I can only pick out every 4th or 5th word. Reading it is sometimes easier.

Its not like high school languages teach much every day speech. Eddie Izzard does a bit on the phrases and words he learned in French, and trying to incorporate them into everyday speech. Its hilarious.

Quote:
And I learned French at school, up to the age of 16, and then I just kept talking it endlessly after that. And at school, the first page I ever learned in French was full of things that are quite difficult to get into conversation, thinks like “the mouse is underneath the table” – la souris est en dessous la table. Just slip that when you’re buying a ticket to Paris: “Le train ŕ Paris, oui? C’est ici? C’est maintenant? Cinq minutes… la souris est en dessous la table…”

The other line was, “the cat is on the chair” – le chat est sur la chaise – slightly more easy to fit in; and “the monkey is on the branch” – “le singe est sur la branche.” Very difficult to get into a conversation! Not a lot of jungle in France… monkeys thin on the ground… thin in the air… just generally pretty trim!

That's just part of it....

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:08 pm
Zenmistress wrote:
Japanese drove me crazy in college. UGH!!

I had 7 years of French - 4 in high school and 3 in college, and I feel the same as Greg with Spanish. I can only pick out every 4th or 5th word. Reading it is sometimes easier.

Yeah. I had a disastrous year at Uni doing Chinese... can pick out the occasional word. I understand more spoken than written Chinese and can speak a few words but the written language just refused to stick in my head.

And that maybe BECAUSE most of the vocabulary we were taught came out of Mao's Little Red Book. (Very left-wing Chinese Department at that Uni!) Don't think I even learned how to say "Mouse" or "Cat", or even "Chair".... but I knew the word for "dialectical materialism". Try working that into an everyday conversation....
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:23 pm
I don't even know what "dialetical materialism" means in English! Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:58 pm
cool Not sure you really want to know..... hiding
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:21 pm
Sita wrote:
Peake, having spent the last three days trying to converse with a Spanish guy who has no English using babelfish (live, online in Second Life) - it is NOT easy or quick.

Yep, those online translators can be a horrible thing to deal with. I've seen americans posting in a Spanish board using google translators, those things always leave the lectors puzzled.

And Germany sounds like a lovely country, I am looking forward to get into their culture.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 pm
Ghostman wrote:
Sita wrote:

Yep, those online translators can be a horrible thing to deal with.

Why do you people hate the hilarious?

geek

From english to german to french and back to english:
I was walmart today thus, in the line, and a woman came, flying in top behind me with its charette. She became in top gven on the offer behind me and was on an interlocking registers versessen. She attached close to me the plastic everwhere bags sending, slowed down in a coke advertisement, the bottles breaks and Spruehfizz everywhere, then inserted in another register full speed, it in both breakage and shower some containers of propane open with the spark which an explosion and veranliessen are strong, to fire the back enough a bar of plutonium somebody, was among her satisfies, that which it has miss with fire a reaction in the fresh water devices started processes of fusion then.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:03 am
Wow, Walmart was nowhere near that exciting when I was there today!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:55 am
I just had a thought about how to make those translators better: They need to start by checking the spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax used in the original message, in its original language.

The major problem I have in communicating with people when using those things is that more often than not, the person who is writing to me is no more literate than the majority of sims fans who are posting on the boards.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:52 am
That was part of my problem I'm sure - the guy was using some equinvalent of txtspk and slang, all mixed up together - and he couldn't spell very well.

Loosechanj, it's not about the hilarious. Yes, it's very funny the mess the translators make, but if you are actually trying to communicate, even if it is only - do you want to go and dance? and it comes out scrambled? that's not funny. (actually I can do that in midgin Spanish now but the conversation - at least the part of it I could understand - wasn't much more elaborate than that. I dunno. He may have been asking me to marry him or something for all I know!
I began taking some German lessons