Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Somemore Info on Sim Attraction & Chemistry.....
Somemore Info on Sim Attraction & Chemistry.....
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:18 pm
I am posting this here for 4 reasons :

1- Because this is still a facinating subject for me! (Says alot about me, don't it? )
2- Because I love doing research & know that not everybody has acess to the Offical Prima Guides
3- Because I haven't posted much latey & want to prove I'm still alive, &
4- Because I'm sorta hoping that Greg (or somebody else) will snag these lame-o charts, turn them into color-coded cooler ones & post them in the Tutorial Section like my Zodiac one! (I'm still tickled over that! )

So without (much) more rambeling, here's what I've dug up so far. Please note that this info does NOT take into account any of the many user-made hacks/mods out there that can skew these things! If you have any "attraction altering" hacks/mods, do NOT complain to me (or the Mods) about the "inaccuracy" of the following info! An example of an "attraction altering mod" would be the InTEENimater, which can allow Teens & Young Adults to be attracted to each other (or Adults & Elders) & even get pregnate. (Normally, Teens can only be attracted to other Teens & niether Teens nor Young Adults can get pregnate. ) Oh, and just so you don't think I'm somekinda "Pure Sims 2 Prude", I do have some of those user hacks (InTEEN & InSIM) quite active in my game. Actaully I have ALOT of user hacks....but let's get on with this, shall we!

** ELEMENTS OF ATTRACTION ** (Whether Sim A is attracted to Sim B or not)
1-Personality similarities
2-B's zodiac sign
3-A & B's Aspirations
4-A's Turn Ons & Turn Off
5-A & B's preexisting relationships (if any)
6-Age (Teens are only attarcted to Teens, while YA's, Adults & Elders can mix it up with each other as they see fit)
7-Gender preferance

*For "scoring" purposes, only items 1-5 are tabulated to determine the Attraction between two Sims. Items 6 & 7 are "pre-determining" factors. For instance, a Sim who is has a gender preference for Males will simply "not see" any relevent Attraction elements present in any Females that they meet, even if they would otherwise be a perfect match. Likewise (in an un-hacked game) no Teenager would think of looking twice at that Young Adult (or Adult/Elder) next door, no matter how similaur they may be.
*Newly created Sims have no "gender preference" & are therefore unable to Scope Room for potentiel dates/mates. The quickest way to "set" a gender preference on a new Sim (in an un-hacked game) is to have them do a low-level flirt (Whistle or Check Out) on a Sim of the gender you want them to favor. Presto! Instant gender preference! Sims will not flirt/come on to a Sim of the "wrong" gender of their own accord, although you can "make" them do these things if you want. Repeted flirts/etc with the "wrong" gender will- over time- switch a Sims gender preferance.
*Numberwise, attraction can range from a max of 150 to a min of -140.
*When comparing personalities, it's the numarical difference that is factored in. (See chart A below)
*Since Sims with identical personalitys would be of the same Zodiac sign they would only receive the "points" for personalities & not any points for Zodiac attraction/compatability as no sign is "attracted" to it's self. (see Zodiac Chart in the Tutorial section, or the "quicky" chart B bellow) Thus it's actually better (attraction-wise) if the 2 Sims have minor differences in personality & are "attracted" to each others Zodiac signs, than just having identical personalities.
*Just because a Sim of one Aspiration (A) is hot for a different Aspiration(B) it doesn't always mean that the reverse is true! (B may be indifferent to A. See chart C below)
*Attraction can actually start (or become stronger) after 2 Sims have started a relationship. Rather than "add" to attraction, these relationships set a "minimum" level of attraction for the 2 Sims in question. Example: if 2 Sims with no actual Attraction should fall in love & get married, their effective attractiveness increases just because they are married. Relationships (for Sims) are defiened as the following: Married/Joined, Engaged, Going Steady, Love, Crush & a Lifetime Relationship greater than 70
*Turn On's & Turn Off's are very easy to "skew". Example: putting on some colonge (having it in your inventory is NOT enough) will increase a Sims attractivness to another Sim who is turned on by colonge.....but that "bonus" will go away as soon as the colonge is washed off! Likewise the type of clothing a Sime likse/hates is only "active" if another Sim is currently wearing the clothing in question, etc, etc.....
*CHEMISTRY is actually the average of two Sims Attraction to each other. For instance if Sim A is hot for Sim B, while Sim B is only mildly attracted to Sim A, each will display a Chemistry score of Medium. (See chart D for the Chemistry levels. )

Now, on to my lame-o charts....

**** CHART A : HOW PERSONALITY DIFFERENCES ARE CALCULATED ****

PERSONALITY......................SIM A................SIM B.............DIFFERENCE

Neat/Sloppy...........................4.......................4......................0
Outgoing/Shy.........................4.......................7......................3
Actice/Lazy............................4.......................6.......................2
Playful/Serious.......................7.......................3.......................4
Nice/Grouchy.........................6........................5......................1

Total Score.............................................................................10

In this case it's the total difference that counts. Think of golf : the lower the score, the better! Thus a "perfect" score would be a 0, while the worst score possible would be a 50. Just remember that a "perfect" 0 won't get you any possible bonus from the Zodic Attraction factor, as two zeros would be from the same Zodiac sign. (Hmmmmm "two zeros" doesn't come out like I thought it would sound! ) With that chart in mind, let's take a quick look at the "baseline" Zodiac stats. Remember, it's the difference between stats that's counted!

**** CHART B : A QUICKY GUIDE TO THE DEFUALT ZODIAC SCORING ****

ZODIAC SIGN...........NEAT........OUTGOING..........ACTIVE..........PLAYFULL........NICE

Aries........................5...................8.....................6.....................3..................3
Taurus.....................5...................5.....................3.....................8..................4
Gemini....................4....................7.....................8.....................3..................3
Cancer....................6....................3.....................6.....................4..................6
Leo.........................4...................10.....................4.....................4..................3
Virgo......................9.....................2.....................6.....................3...................5
Libra.......................2.....................8.....................2.....................6...................7
Scorpio...................6.....................5.....................8.....................3...................3
Saggittarius.............2.....................3.....................9.....................7...................4
Capricorn................7......................4.....................1.....................8...................5
Aquarius.................4.......................4.....................4.....................7...................6
Pisces.....................5......................3.....................7.....................3....................7

These are the Maxis default (untweaked) Zodiac settings. You can do some tweaking with the stats to a degree, but going "too far" will cause the Zodiac sign to automaticaly switch to a more "apropriate" sign. To see the Zodiac Attraction Chart (what signs like who) go here : http://hullabaloo.simshost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7873 . (Note that, like Aspiration Attraction, Zodiac Attraction isn't always a balanced two-way street! )

**** CHART C : ASPIRATIONS & ATTRACTION ****

ASPIRATION...........ROMANCE.....WEALTH....POPULARITY....FAMILY....KNOWLEGE....PLEASURE....GRILLED CHEESE

Romance..................++...............N................++.................00...............00...................N.......................N
Wealth......................N................++..............00..................++...............N...................++.....................++
Popularity..................N................00..............++..................N................00..................00.......................N
Family......................00................N................00..................++.............++..................00.......................N
Knowlege.................00................00...............N....................N...............++..................N.......................N
Pleasure...................++...............++..............N...................00...............N...................++.....................++
Grilled Cheese...........N..................N................N..................N.................N....................N......................++

++ = Is attracted to
N = Neutral attractiveness (indifferent)
00 = Is not attracted to

To read this chart, read left to right. Example a Romance Sim will be attracted to another Romance Sim, indifferent to a Wealth Sim, attracted to a Popularity Sim, not attracted to a Family Sim, not attracted to a Knowlege Sim, indifferent to a Pleasure Sim & indifferent to a Grilled Cheese Sim (can you blame them? ). Also note that this attraction is NOT always a two-way street! For instance while a Popularity Sim is indifferent to a Family Sim, a Family Sim is actually "turned off" by (not attracted to) a Pleasure Sim. This is easiest to see in the Grilled Cheese data: While a Grilled Cheese Sim is only activly attracted to another Grilled Cheese Sim, you can see that (for whatever reason) both Wealth & Pleasure Sims are strangely attracted to Grilled Cheese Sims! Go figure! FYI this chart is for all Aspirations available if you have the relevent EP's. If you don't have the Nightlife EP (for example) you will not have a Grilled Cheese Aspiration to choose from....it's up to you to decide if that's a bad thing or not!

**** CHART D : THE CHEMISTRY CONUMDRUM (or THE MAKING OF A LIGHTNING BOLT) ****

LEVEL NAME.................AVERAGE ATTRACTION.....................SYMBOL

Repulsion.........................-140 to -10......................................1 Bolt with a Red X through it
Neutral............................-10 to 10.........................................No Icon
Mild..................................11 to 35.........................................1 Bolt
Medium.............................36 to 70........................................2 Bolts
Strong...............................70 to 150......................................3 Bolts

WooHoo! Finally! A semi-logical way to determine just howintheheck those lightning bolts are handed out! Well ok you STILL have to dope-out all the various Attraction factors, but hey: at least this brings you (or me, specifically) that much closer to unraveling the Mystries of Sim Attraction. Remember that the easiest (and most "unstable" ) thing Sims can do to increase/decrease their "Attraction Factor" for a given Sim is by catering to that Sims Turn Ons & avoiding their Turn Off. I hope this info will help some other Sims 2 players as much as it helped me. Anyway, I enjoyed posting it!

-ZW