Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Is The Virdict In On Vista Yet????
Goto page Previous  1, 2
LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:23 am
kelly wrote:
Have you tried the new speed boost thing? I'm waiting for my usb drive thing to come in....
Apparently if you plug one into the computer, Vista will treat it like RAM.... I'm just wondering how that works:)
I can't wait to find out!

It's nowhere near as fast as actual ram, but it's quicker than the HDD!
kelly
Ruler of The Sim Republic
Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:31 am
Oh... My laptop had 512 ram in it... i got a 1 gb card when i bought vista.... so it actually works really well.. I guess I just had high hopes for the usb thing.. LOL...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am
Still, a big USB drive plugged in for extra swap space sounds like a great idea to me!

Remember, USB plugs need to be plugged straight in and pulled straight out or they will break! Also, don't bump the drive into anything while it's plugged in or it will break.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:00 pm
Greg wrote:
That's a pretty strong argument for upgrading my graphics card!

What flavor of laptop do you have?

Got it at Best Buy. It's another HP Pavilion...here's a link to it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8223282&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050028&id=1166840116155

I LOVE it. It has a built in web cam and microphone, and a TV tuner! So now I can actually watch TV while on the road if the signal's strong enough! Plus, I believe it MIGHT even be HD... Grin Just installed Oblivion and it's SO gorgeous with all the sliders turned up! Still lags a little bit, but runs about the same as my old laptop with all the sliders at low-medium settings. I'm so loving it!

But yeah, sorta back on topic, I can understand Vista having some problems, though I haven't run into anything major yet. I'm sure a service pack isn't too far in the future, but as far as a casual user, it's fine. Can't say anything about upgrades, though...sometimes upgrades can have more glitches than a fresh install. As it was my packaged OS with this computer, that's all I can speak for.

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 pm
Thanks for all the info! I had originally asked because I am planning on a new PC soon (mainly because the very cool nVidia Ge Force 7300 GS graphic card I got to replace my nVidia Ge Force 5700 LE will not work with my 3-year-old mother board) & was toying with the idea of having Vista installed at the same time. (There's a local "PC builder" store that's offering the Vista Home Premium as standarded on their PC's for the same price most others are charging for XP or Vista Home Basic. I never buy "brand name" PCs! I always have mine custom built! )

Well, that & I wanted to get all upgraded for Sims 2 Seasons, which I went ahead & pre-ordered already. I'm anticipating it being a bit more of a "graphics intense" EP than the others have been. Actually I have been distracted away from my Sims 2 addiction for the past few days as I have stumbled apon a new RPG game demo (Silverfall, due out this March) that has been eating up more time than I realized at first. (As a dearly devoted fan of the truely awesome Arcanum, it seems that Silverfall- so far, anyway- has potential to help fill the void created by the demise of Trokia Games. Time will tell.... ) I can definately tell that I'm gonna be needing a grapics upgrade to play the full-release of Silverfall....but rest asured that my Sims have not been forgotten! (As a matter of fact Greg, I do hear them calling to me at night....unless those are Peake's Sims I'm hearing! )

All things considered, I'm thinking I'll stick to my trusty XP for a while....though it IS nice to hear that Vista- so far- hasn't been a "game melter" or anything!

-ZW

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:55 pm
I am strongly considering upgrading my nVidia GeForce 7300 LE 256mb (it came with my computer when I bought it last Nov.), because the times I played since I put Vista on the Sims is playing very jerky and that is a put off to playing. I know that 7300 LE is "poor man's" GeForce series 7. I currently eyeing up a nVidia GeForce 7300 GT with 512mb, but I don't know if it will fit my computer.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:59 pm
Which among all that alphabet soup is the hottest nVidia video card these days?

Peake1981
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:19 pm
GT or GTS with a high number.

Supposedly GeForce 8800 are not just Vista capable, but DirectX 10 compatable. Like that is really usable right now... confused

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:05 pm
The local shop I'm eyeing offers a nVidia Genforce 7600 GS (GTS? just know it's NOT an LE) with it's new PC's. (Even beats out my never-used 7300 GS! Sheesh! What I'm ever gonna do with that thing I don't know! )

I know "LE" is sorta the "poorman version" of nVidia cards, but in all fairness that nVidia 5700 LE I'm currently running on has proved just slick as can be, even on such graphics-heavy games as The Sims 2 & Childeren of the Nile. It's only recently given me any "problems", and only with Ceasar IV (veeeeeery lagging) and the Silverfall demo (some lag-time with many characters on screen and graphics aren't nearly as "crisp" as they should be) so that's my main reason for *sniff* deciding that it's time for an upgrade.

Looks like I might be heading for the PC to place an order soon.....

-ZW

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:19 pm
Before Vista, my nVidia GeForce 7300 LE 256mb with 1gb of dual channel DDR2 was more the perfect for the Sims 2. I just got done 20 minutes ago with talking with people from Dell about get a new graphics card and I getting a GeForce 7600 GS 512mb.

Last edited by Peake1981 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:25 pm
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
The local shop I'm eyeing offers a nVidia Genforce 7600 GS (GTS? just know it's NOT an LE) with it's new PC's. (Even beats out my never-used 7300 GS! Sheesh! What I'm ever gonna do with that thing I don't know! )

Keep it somewhere it can't get damaged, I've run into many times where it's would have been handy to have a spare graphics card around, but then didn't have one.

Is The Virdict In On Vista Yet????