Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Nightlife Anomalies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:18 am
1) Yep. Those long strings of hex make me psychotic and I have to kill people. Er, Sims. I have a Sim in a cowboy hat that just needs killin'.
2) Nope. I've renamed every file I've ever made and had no problems. I've also renamed almost every file I downloaded from SimCityGallery and had no problems. (Dang, that woman had a lot of great wallpaper!)

As far as I know, the only thing you can't rename is meshes, and that might be a rumor left over from Sims1 days... Yes, I was just poking around inside a SimPE download dump, and that seems to work off internal name/GUID too! I don't do it out of respect for the original creator (an alien concept to Maxis).

JMP told me that the long hex string is a "hash code" which Maxis uses to attempt to prevent duplicates, assuming the downloader just drops everything directly into the Downloads folder. However, their hash code calculator doesn't work too well; sometimes the exact same file will end up with two different hash codes.

FYI - just to explain "hash codes" -- imagine treating the file contents as a stream of hex bytes and performing a numerical operation on them, like adding them all up or multiplying each byte by its location in the file and adding up the products. That's a simple hash code. I suspect Maxis did some extra weird stuff in there, since they sometimes get different codes for the same file. Or maybe sometimes they work on the compressed file and sometimes on the uncompressed. Wouldn't put that past them!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:33 pm
miros1 wrote:

FYI - just to explain "hash codes" -- imagine treating the file contents as a stream of hex bytes and performing a numerical operation on them, like adding them all up or multiplying each byte by its location in the file and adding up the products. That's a simple hash code. I suspect Maxis did some extra weird stuff in there, since they sometimes get different codes for the same file. Or maybe sometimes they work on the compressed file and sometimes on the uncompressed. Wouldn't put that past them!

yeah...um....my mind just kinda shut down and my eyes glossed over on that.... LOL I'm so techno-inept. embarrassed

miros1
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:21 pm
Lol, that's why I made a separate paragraph.

Why do you think it makes me psychotic and the Sim with the cowboy hat just needs killin'?

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:28 pm
The only reason not to rename a file is if you expect that the creator might publish an update, or you might download a duplicate, and you'll want that update to overwrite the existing file.

That would be the case for most hacks and mods, Warlokk's meshes and skins, most things that you might download with a sim (hair meshes and colors, makeup, and such), Danny's stuff from DMA Sims. But even those can be renamed if you're careful to keep track of what you have installed.

Except for the case where you think you might want to later overwrite the file, you can rename files with reckless abandon. The Sims 2 only looks at the internal filenames that are buried inside the .package files.

If you want to get really creative, you can even split up .packages into other files. The game will still find the data it needs.

miros1
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:55 pm
You know, Gregsim might look good in a cowboy hat...

Seriously, if people have given their files reasonable names, I leave them alone. Otherwise, they go through SimText and get new ones.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:05 pm
Yup, a brown Stetson with a bullroper bend, please. Grin

I think I've figured out the feature that I most like about having all these expansion packs and stuff packs installed: When it starts up, it doesn't blast me out of my chair with a chorus chanting "EA GAMES!" at 108 decibels! lol

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:08 pm
I resolved the Family Kiss conundrum: It was an EP1 version of Squinge's "no autonomous family kiss" mod.

Ditto for "Hand Baby to Anyone".

miros1
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:38 pm
Lol, I bet the second one was an attempt to prevent babynapping by visitors! Maxis is supposed to have fixed that...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:21 pm
It's a mod that Squinge wrote that makes it possible to hand a baby to anyone else, family member or not. So now you can hand the new baby to grandma. Grin

miros1
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:45 pm
Hm, when I was playing the Cheeze family, the daughter-in-law would visit and feed the babies. I'm pretty sure the mom was able to hand her the babies. I don't remember if the daughter-in-law changed diapers or not, but she loved to feed them and play with them! No, I didn't have that hack.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:06 am
Oh! I've never been able to hand a baby to a visitor! No fair! Maxis always liked you best!

miros1
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:17 am
Maybe they changed that in NL or OFB? I know that was pre-Pets...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:28 am
Could be! It's not clear why guys would be writing mods to allow it if it already works, but hey, Sims fans are weird!

Nightlife Anomalies