Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic X-Prize Competition Live Streaming Video Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:26 pm
Greg took his last college course by the year I was born!

I am still at college and I don't think this is an issue about one generation being smarter than another, every generation has brilliant subjects and really stupid ones. I think this is a matter of power, my generation has had plenty of advantages that the ones before only dreamed about. But the way you use that power can dumb you down to very deep levels or help you develop your skills in a amazing way.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:41 pm
ghostman wrote:
...I think this is a matter of power, my generation has had plenty of advantages that the ones before only dreamed about. But the way you use that power can dumb you down to very deep levels or help you develop your skills in a amazing way.

Brilliantly put!

When I was taking computer programming in college, the emphasis was on figuring out how to apply the language to the mathematical algorithms that solved the problems. Now most of those algorithms have been written. Nowadays they emphasize the user interface and innovative ways to use the same algorithms to solve new problems.

What's lost is that expertise that went into developing the algorithms in the first place. But really, one mathemetician can write a program that millions can use, so we really don't need lots of mathemeticians any more.

X-Prize Competition Live Streaming Video Today