Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic HELP!!! Time stopped in some houses
HELP!!! Time stopped in some houses
sonicpixie
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:13 pm
On some lots time just stopped and I can't do anything with them, not even save or evict because the game crashes!!!
I know about problems with objects that are damaged or for other expansions - I've dealt with these problems before, but this is different: I tried playing some old families which all have older objects that worked fine before and now these don't work either. About 2 families per neighbourhood do work. I removed the latest objects installed and checked everything with File Cop and some other programs, but nothing worked.
Please, help me!
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:25 pm
I'm trying to think what I'd do in that situation. It's the first I've heard of that happening.

I think my first guess would be that the game software somehow got corrupted. You could try backing up all your neighborhoods and then reinstalling from scratch.

Even before that (this is really obvious but...) make sure you haven't run out of disk space or RAM.

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:02 pm
Sorry, can't help. But I really wanted to say "Welcome to the Hullabaloo"

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:37 am
Like Greg said, make sure you've got both free drive space and plenty of RAM.

I once had a problem with the game crashing at 6pm. Tracked it down to a corrupt copy of... the Maxis cuckoo clock. Try removing that object from your downloads folder.

If it's a bad object, FileCop won't find it, even though it claims to be checking objects. You need other tools... Let me see if I can find the thread on how to do this... Here's the link: http://www.hullabaloo.simshost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27449

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Thanks but....
sonicpixie
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:33 pm
I did try Simenhancer progs already....they didnt help.

+ AN UPDATE - what happened last night - I was playing with a family that still works, everything was normal, gameplay as usual and then time stopped for no reason - no new objects were added, 1 sim was steppin on roaches the other was on the toilet and the guests were talking to eachother.

This is just too much, I told you I had problems with objects before, but this is different.
I'm thinking of borrowing somebody's copy of HD or HP and istalling them. Maybe that would help if there is an object for higher expansion present - see I only have Sims + Livin large.

Anyways why would an object not installed in a particular house cause this??

I have about 2-3 gigs of free space (fluctuates daily due to torrent downloading), 384 mb ram, win 98 se. If it was a memory issue wouldn't all the families be affected?

Can you tell me the best way to backup families? Do I just copy all the user data folders - I did that before.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:31 pm
Actually, you can get the Complete set for a song now. I suppose it couldn't hurt to add more expansion packs!

Did you try the SE3D "Missing Skin" function? I had weird things happen once when I accidentally deleted a Sim's clothing and she tried to visit her neighbors... so if your hang happened at one of the times for "random visitors" that could be it.

Does your game work correctly if you remove all Downloads and start a new family and house?

Yes, you just copy all the UserData folders to back up your games. I hope it doesn't come down to that!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:59 pm
I'm thinking that a corrupt object can overwrite the BHAV functions of other objects even if it's not installed in the house.

F'rinstance, suppose you installed the Multipurpose Purple Flamingo (I just made that up) and it had global scripts attached to it that would automatically refresh all your sims at 9 PM. But the programmer messed up. One of its scripts calls a routine that sank off the coast of Borneo ten years ago with all hands aboard. Another is perfect but has the same filename as some critical script in the game.

That Mulitpurpose Purple Flamingo would be loaded as the game loads, and its script would override stuff that Maxis programmed. Along comes 9 PM. The corrupted scripts try to execute but have nowhere to go. The game tries its error recovery but that other Flamingo script has overwritten the error recovery routine. The game stops dead in its tracks.

If that's what's happening in your game, then the culprit is probably one of the last things you installed.

Thanks....
sonicpixie
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:08 pm
Thank you all very much. I did remove latest downloads - I keep them in separate folders. I guess I have a lot of work to do trying out, removing some stuff untill the game starts working again.
I apreciate your efforts to help me, really. If you remember anything else please let me know.

I've been downloading Sims objects for a very long time, from many different sites. Since you're probably Sims veterans, maybe you can list a few links - which sites do you think have the most reliable, safe Sims downloads, preferably for free? Most of my problems in the past came from skins actually. The game would often crash while I was making a character and browsing trough bodies/clothes.
Thanks again!

Grettings from Croatia!
:-D
miros1
Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:23 pm
Either FileCop or SE 3D should help or fix your skin related crashes.

Sims1 stuff... I like Mermaid's Cove and Parsimonious (and many SimsHost sites).

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:09 pm
Yup, I'd say that the Sims 1 content on the SimsHost sites has stood the test of time.

I'm not aware of any subscriber support issues for any of the object on any of them, with exception: People get confused about how to use the nude patch program from Killersim. The logic of it seems to be reversed from what's intuitive.

Outside of SimsHost, I'd say my favorite source for Sims 1 goodies is The 7 Deadly Sims. For quite some time there, Claw was the stellar creator of new objects for The Sims. The companion site, the 8th Deadly Sim, tends to have things that don't match my personal tastes (mostly a grunge theme) but I support them because it provides the financial support for 7DS.

You can see the list of SimsHost sites by going to the SimsHost front page. All the sites are listed in the right-hand column. There's a section that lists what sites have stuff for The Sims.

WOW
sonicpixie
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:01 pm
Guys, seems I figured it out!
I tried everything you advised and also removing objects one by one, building new houses ....and it turns out the original sims flowerbeds stop the time. I can use downloaded flowers but no daffodils, wildflowers, tulips or the nasturtum. I suppose it's file corruption...happens to me sometimes after major crashes.
Are there original files for these flowers I can DL somewhere so I dont have to reinstall?

Thank you all for helping!
miros1
Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:19 pm
If you have SuperStar or Makin Magic, just reinstall the last EP and that should fix it.

Just put in the CD and pick "Reinstall."

HELP!!! Time stopped in some houses