Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic how do i get new heads for my game
how do i get new heads for my game
newnew
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:06 pm
I am tired of playing the same people...or making new people who look like the others. I have noticed some sites that have new people to download. However, I do not know if these people will go into my creating a new sims or what. And how and where do I load these heads or people? Any help please?
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:09 pm
I'm assuming you mean Sims1, since you're in the Sims1 forum.

When you download a head, you'll get a zip file.

Run this file through WinZip, Stuffit Expander, PKZip, or WinRAR and you're probably going to get 1-5 files. These are the meshes and the skins. The mesh determines the shape. The skin determines the color.

### means a 3 digit number, like 001 or 100 or 700.

If you get 1-3, named something like C###FAlgt_something.bmp, C###FAmed_something.bmp, and C###FAdrk_something.bmp, those are just skins and are intended to be used with one of the built in Maxis meshes.

If you also get files named C###FA_something.cmx and xskin-C###FA_something.skn, those are the two parts to the mesh.

In either case, the files go into your Skins folder. The path to your Skins folder should be something like C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\UserData\Skins. Open up that folder, drag the files over, and drop them in.

If you get a warning that a file will be overwritten, pick Cancel.

Now when you make a new Sim, you'll have new heads to choose from!

Clothes work the same way. If you only have the base game, they'll be named B###FAfitlgt_something.bmp, B###FAfitmed_something.bmp, B###FAfitdrk_something.bmp, B###FAfit_something.cmx and xskin-B###FAfit_something.skn. They can also be fat or skn (skinny) rather than fit. Skins can also contain extra bitmaps for gloves and bitmaps and meshes for accessories. In any case, drag and drop them all into skins.

When you make a new Sim, you'll have new clothes for them to wear.

I think this is what you mean by "new people." If not, please write again and I'll try to help you.

Some sites also have occupied houses to download, which contain complete Sims. Since you're just starting out, make sure any houses are marked "Maxis content only." Otherwise, you've got to go find the objects that were used to furnish the house, which can be quite a job!

Good luck, and have fun!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
newnew
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:36 pm
Thanks for your help! I have had some sucess...loaded a few new heads and bodies, however some of the heads i loaded did not show up. As well, some of the bodies and heads appeared in the sim creator, so I took them from there. I'm still not completly sure of what I'm doing, but at least I have more people to play now smile

Yes it is sims1, I wish I could play sims2 put my computer wont support the game...bah...oh well.thanks again
miros1
Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:15 am
The ones that didn't show up, could you give me the first part of the filename and I'll try to find the meshes for you? Should be something like C###FA or C###MA or C###FC or C###MC.

newnew
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:38 pm
Thanks ...I dont know which ones they were now...hehe...but can you tell me why sometimes it asks if i want to replace a file...do i have it already?
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:42 pm
Yup, if it finds a file with the same filename in your machien it will ask if you want to replace it. As long as you confident of the site that the new download came from, you can usually say "yes."

miros1
Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:16 am
I usually try to get a copy of the mesh from the original site. That one I install and allow to overwrite the file that's already on my machine.

Duplicate meshes from other sites... sadly, those can be badly mauled (especially ones from a large user submission site), so I don't allow them to overwrite.

newnew
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:15 pm
thanks for your help!
how do i get new heads for my game