Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic help on sims makin magic!
help on sims makin magic!
abby:|
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:44 am
right you know when it has loaded and it is loading with the music well after like 2 secs it turns off! i am getting really peed off about it because i want to take it on holiday can some one help me please!

abby:| help
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:52 am
Crashes when it should be showing the neighborhood screen are usually a bad skin or object.

The best scanners for these problems are SimEnhancer (SE) and SE Object Manager (SEOM). They're shareware, but have a 48 hour trial.

You can download them from http://www.simenhancer.com and make sure you get the Sims1 versions.

Once you have them, make sure you've got time to work with them before installing (that 48 hr clock is ticking).

Skins:

Install SE.
Run SE.

In the lower left corner, there is a button marked "Duplicate Checker." Click that and let it run. I believe it will help you decide which ones to delete. In general, if a file exists in your Skins folder and in the Maxis folder, delete the one out of skins. When finished deleting the duplicates, go to the next step. You can't jump back and forth from step to step.

Also in the lower left corner is a button marked "Validate CMX." This is the important one! Click that and let it run. You'll get a list of bad files. Click on each one and you'll get a dialog to help you fix the file. BMP and SKN files, you can usually just save the changes. For the CMX files, you'll probably need to actually go into your Skins file and figure out which file it actually needs. SE is not really strong in figuring out which file it should use if the one in the file is missing. Use the Rename function on the SKN file you want and copy the file name. Then go back to SE and paste the file name into the box on the right where the incorrect/missing filename is highlighted. Fix files until done. Then click the Validate button again and repeat the whole step.

Close SE.

Objects:

Install SEOM.
Run SEOM.

In the lower left corner, there's a button marked "Browse IFF Files." Click it, select your main Downloads directory, and let it run. If there's a file it can't read, it will ask if you want to delete it. Unless you know how to use IFFPencil to fix things, go ahead and delete it.

Close SEOM.

Try your game.

1) It works. You're done!

2) If it still crashes, run SE again and change the neighborhood it starts in. I don't remember the exact button to use, but I know it's there.

2a) If it doesn't crash on the second neighborhood... well, sorry but something in the original 'hood is corrupt. Post again and I'll try to help, but fixing a corrupt 'hood is very hard.

2b) If it crashes on the second neighborhood, post again and I'll think of something else.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:11 pm
Can you tell I've had to fix my game far too many times?

In the future, you might want to put your new downloads in a special folder so you can remove them if something weird starts happening.

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:27 pm
Do those programs work better than "Thing Checker" ?

(Obviously, the program I've been using! )

-ZW

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:43 am
I've never used Thing Checker. Can you post a link?

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:19 pm
Oops! Sorry 'bout that!

I actually downloaded it (originally) from The Sims Resource, but just tracked it down to it's actuall lair here:

http://kotex.iwarp.com/Sims/index.html

(Bunny's The Sims page, listed on TSR as The Sims Livin' It Up )

Now that I see it on it's "home page", I see that it has only been "aproved" for use up tp Houses Party, & I have Complet Collection, but it seems to be working none the less.

-ZW

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:20 am
I suspect it has a list of IDs of the Maxis objects, which was last updated for HP. It'll still find conflicts between downloads, just not conflicts with the newer Maxis objects.

I've used Bunny's Skin Doctor; it finds a few things that SE doesn't, but it also complains about other things that aren't a problem, such as a cmx file that refers to one of the Maxis meshes without having a copy in the Skins folder, skins that aren't square, etc.

help on sims makin magic!