Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Cream of Vegetable Soup
Cream of Vegetable Soup
naughty10382
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Just wanted to share this recipe with you all - it is a delicious Cream of Vegetable soup. I ate this in a pub in October, and emailed them that afternoon to get the recipe!

I was not given exact quantities, so I have used the amounts which work for me! The garlic could probably be left out but I have found it isn't a very prominent taste)

Basic ingredients are:

Potatoes (4/5 medium sized)
Carrots (3)
Leeks (4)
Onion (1)
Clove of Garlic (1)
Vegetable stock (approx 700ml, or 1.5 pints)
Milk (same amount as stock)
Butter
Herbs and seasoning to taste

Dice potato, leek and carrot, chop onion and crush garlic.

Melt butter in a large pot (believe me, it needs to be BIG!) and sweat the above indredients until soft - I usually do them for about 10 minutes.

Add the liquid, and simmer for 45 minutes (Doesn't have to be watched all the time, but stir every so often to reduce the bubbles)

Add mixed herbs and seasoning if you wish, and cook for 10 minutes more.

Blend using hand blender or liquidiser.

I have found it is an incredibly easy recipe as almost everything is just put in together - it is a lovely soup.
It does sound good
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:27 pm
Thanks for the tip! The soup does sound good!

In my experience, garlic often works in recipes as a flavor enhancer, meaning you don't taste a garlic flavor but it makes all the other flavors stand out more. You can test this effect by sprinkling garlic salt on a hamburger while it's cooking and leaving another plain. The one with garlic salt sprinkled on will taste 100% better than the one without yet....you taste no garlic in particular.

-SCG
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:12 am
I gotta try this one!

Naive question: What is vegetable stock?

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:44 am
When you make a homemade meat stock, you put meat and vegetables in it. Vegetable stock just has vegetables in it.

You can also buy it commercially, but it's kind of salty, like all commercial stocks.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:51 am
So... vegetable stock is the water that you used to boil vegetables?

Basically, you are right Greg
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:20 pm
You can buy it like you can Chicken Stock. My youngest brother was a vegetarian for awhile so used to buy just vegetable stock for use as a quick soup base.

When I make vegetable stock, which I do because like Rose I think the commercial varieties are too salty, I use veggies minced fine and just leave them in. Mine includes celery, onion, potato slivers and carrot mostly with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. You could probably put it together really quickly with a food processor which I don't have so I resort to my big cutting board and a sharp thick bladed knife. Canned, it makes a good quick starter for soups and stews.

-SCG
naughty10382
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:28 pm
Greg wrote:
I gotta try this one!

Naive question: What is vegetable stock?

Do you guys have stock cubes over in the US? Good old OXO and the supermarket own brands?

miros1
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:27 pm
They're called boullion here... and the general consensus is YUCK! Half salt and the rest tastes kind of like cardboard...

naughty10382
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:57 pm
miros1 wrote:
They're called boullion here... and the general consensus is YUCK! Half salt and the rest tastes kind of like cardboard...

Weird!! Stock cubes in the UK are yummy!!!!

Anyone who wants to make the soup - I can always send some over!!! *laugh*
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:37 pm
I suspect it's a matter of what brand you buy, though my experience matches what Rose said. I've never encountered a bouillon cube that I liked.

On the other hand, I rather like canned chicken broth, especially at the moment when I have a bad cold.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:33 am
Think Claritin! If you take it before the germs get a foothold, it completely shuts down the mucus production part of the cold, so minimal coughing, sneezing and contagion. Your coworkers will thank you. I found big packages of generic stuff pretty cheap last trip to CVS.

The canned broths have improved; there are low fat/low salt versions available due to customer demand. Since the market for vegetable broth is less, most haven't made similar improvements.

You could probably use chicken broth unless you're abstaining from meat products for whatever reason.

Variation
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:20 am
Naughty had me thinking about this soup. That's naughty! After discovering my jars of homemade stock are gone...have to wait till next gardening season to make a bigger batch...I improvised a new variation.

A quick trip to a unionized Kroger to score some leeks. I cooked the leeks, carrots and potatoes in a stock pot until soft then added 4 cans of condensed cream of celery soup and then refilled the cans with milk and dumped them all in the stock pot. Heated till boiling and it made a wonderful soup too. Now I'm going to have to feed some neighbors, freeze some or we will be eating the soup for quite awhile. I can't seem to cook anything without making enough to feed an army. Considering, I learned to cook feeding a family of 6 (4 kids-2 adults), it's probably understandable. Bren says the Marines in Iraq need me to cook for them.

-SCG
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:37 pm
I think I'm getting it: Vegetable stock is thin vegetable soup, where you cook the vegetables until you've transferred the good stuff from the vegetables to the water.
smile

miros1
Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:39 pm
Exactly!

Then you cook MORE vegetables in the water, but just til they're cooked. That's soup.

Cream of Vegetable Soup