Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:14 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 216: Gloria, Reprise

An angel answered the door. Gloria was one of those people whom Dallas had seen about town, but never really met. Up close and in person, she was even more awesome than Dallas had imagined.

"My husband isn't home but you're welcome to come in!"

"Oh hi," she said. "I'm Dallas, your next-door neighbor. I thought I'd drop by and introduce myself to you and your husband, if it's not an inconvenient time."

Gloria introduced herself and said, "My husband isn't home right now, but you're welcome to come in!"

"Oh, not home right now--"

"Yeah, he's been gone a whole day. I'm getting a little lonely, so it's nice to have company!"

"Glad I could come over then, Gloria! Hey, if you don't mind my noticing, you look a little worried."

"Oh, no problem. I am worried! I expected Barry back quite some time ago. I wish I had some way to get in touch with him! He's a superhero, you see--"

"Yes, I know of Captain Barry!"

"So there has always been an element of danger that I accepted when I married him. That goes with the job; I wouldn't marry a coward."

Suddenly, Dallas's mind wobbled with deja vu. 'Coward? Wait a minute! Did I call Captain Barry a coward? How could I?'

Gloria went on. "I know he can take care of himself, but I'm always a little afraid that he'll get into a situation where he won't be able to find his way back home."

'Find... his... way... back.. home...' It hit her with the force of tsunami.

"Gloria! I have to see your back yard! Now!"

"My back yard?"

"Huh? My back yard? Well, OK, I s'pose..."

"Now! I know it sounds crazy, but the explanation would take too long! Let's go!"

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:38 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 217: A T.U.C.H. of Insanity

"You shouldn't mess with that!"

Dallas hurried to the back yard with Gloria dogging her heels. She saw Barry's Trans-Universe Chopper Hopper and headed straight for it. She brought herself up short halfway along the gangway.

"Dallas! No! Don't touch the TUCH! You shouldn't mess with that! It's Barry's only way back home!"

"I'm not going to fool around with it. Don't worry about that! I warned you that this was going to seem crazy, but hey, a touch of insanity comes in handy now and then!"

"Right about here!"

She felt herself wobble.

"Are you all right?" Gloria asked.

"Whew! A brief moment of double vision there, but nothing to worry about. Now let's see... I should be right about here! Yeah, that's it! I can feel it! Now, come to me!" She heard her own voice in her mind, reciting in unison. "Follow the path, Barry! Come to me!"

"Dallas? Should I call a doctor? Oh! Oh my!"

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:59 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 218: Return of the Hero

When Dallas held out her hands and started swaying back and forth, calling to Barry, Gloria was scared. She was sure that her neighbor was totally off her rocker, and was beginning to wonder how to get rid of her when something astounding happened.

First hands appeared, holding Dallas's hands. Then arms, and then his entire body faded into view right before her eyes!

Barry returns to Happy Valley!
Barry Returns!
Spine-Tingling Special Effects: This is another of those tricky mouseover animated thingies.
Move your mouse over the picture to make Barry fade in. Don't bother clicking on it.

"Barry!" She squealed. She saw Dallas jump, startled by her scream. Never mind that now! She pushed her way past.

"Barry! My Barry! You're home!"

Gloria welcomes Barry back home.

Last edited by Greg on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:29 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 219: A Heap O' Trouble

"You're in a heap o' trouble, boy!"

"Oh, gerbits, I'm happy that you're back!" Gloria said. "But you're in a heap o' trouble, boy!"

"Huh? What did I do?"

"Well, so much for you're the only girl for me! You're gone only one day and you show up holding hands with our neighbor!"

"B'b'but... I can explain..."

"Oh, I'm just teasing you! You're so cute when I have you scared! Coward! C'mere, boy!"

A Hero's Welcome

A long while later, Gloria became aware of giggling coming from behind her, and remembered that she had company. And that reminded her of something else. Reluctantly, she broke the clinch.

"But I really can explain--" Barry said.

"Oh, shush! I'm sure there's a long, fascinating story behind the fact that you showed up fondling our neighbor! But it can wait! You can tell me all about it when you get home!"

"But I am home! Um, aren't I?"

"Yes, but not for long! Your mom called this morning. Those engineers in Boveena messed up in the structural design for their bridge, and it's failing. Your dad needs help!"

"Yikes!"

"Oh, don't worry. The police have traffic blocked off so nobody will get hurt, but if the bridge fails, Boveena will be cut off from the rest of the world!"

"Boveena cut off? Now that sounds like a blessing!"

"Oh no!" Dallas said. "Boveena! Cowhide! That's where they make my favorite shoes!"

"See?" Gloria said. "This is an emergency!"

Barry was unconvinced. "Shoes? What kind of Captain Hero thing is that?"

"It's not! This is a real emergency!" Gloria said. Then, in unison with Dallas, "It's a blonde thing!"

Last edited by Greg on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yay all back home safe
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:29 pm
lol

wav

Splendiferous, Greg!

and the leather shoes a blonde thing :lol not worthy
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:47 pm
Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Of course, I couldn't resist that seque into the next episode. smile

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:13 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 220: Captain Barry to the Rescue!

"Well then, it sounds like I need to get back to work!" Barry said, attempting to adopt a serious tone.

'Oh bother,' he thought. 'The things I'll do for a blonde! Maybe it's a genetic compulsion.'

Dallas couldn't resist responding. 'Hey! I heard that, young man!'

'Oops!'

Barry gets ready for work.

"Flying time again!" Barry said. "Stand back! Caution! Wake turbulence!"

"Oh goody!" Dallas said. "I get to see it again!"

'Dad? Where are you?'

'Out at the bridge, son. Glad you're back! I could use some help here!'

'Be right there, Dad!'

'Is it OK if I listen in?' Dallas thought.

'Certainly,' Greg sent. 'And welcome to the channel, Dallas!'

'Dallas? No 'honey'? No 'sweetheart'? Not even 'm'dear'?'

'We're in Happy Valley now, ma'am. The protocol for such things has not been established.'

Gloria and Dallas watched him take off. As soon as Barry was aloft, Gloria said, "So, fill me in! Exactly what happened here, and why were you holding hands with my husband?"

"Exactly why were you holding hands with my husband?"

"It's all quite innocent, really," Dallas said.

"Of course it is," Gloria said with a laugh. "This is Barry we're talking about!"

Last edited by Greg on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:45 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 221: Weirder Than You Can Imagine?

Once Barry had disappeared past the rooftops of Happy Valley, Gloria invited Dallas into the house. While she rustled up some breakfast, Dallas got acquainted with little Aaron and filled her in on Barry's adventure in Baumdoubt Valley.

"The square peg goes into the square hole!"

"I'm afraid this is going to be weirder than you can imagine, Gloria," Dallas said. She knew who she was. Once bringing Barry home had sundered the veil in her mind, there was no denial left in her.

Gloria laughed. "I dunno! I can imagine quite a lot! But try me. Don't forget who I'm married to! I've known him since he was an infant!"

"OK, so, it all started when Barry arrived at my front door in Baumdoubt Valley--"

"Where?"

"Um, I live in another universe, you see. At least half of me does--"

"Uh oh. I have a feeling that you're not starting at the beginning."

"Hmm... good point. Let's back up to The Bomb-- No, honey, the square peg goes into the square hole."

"Don't even try, Dallas. He is his father's son. That square peg will go through that round hole!"

With a sigh, Dallas said, "Indeed he is! So, back to The Bomb..."

Several pancakes and one potty session later, Dallas finally had brought Gloria up to date on the past day of Barry's life. Gloria listened mostly, interjecting very few questions along the way. Dallas was a little nervous about telling her about the kissing part, but decided to tell the whole story. She needed haven't worried; Gloria was happy to have Barry back no matter what it took.

When Dallas was done with the story, Gloria said, "So, at the end of all this, I've learned that my husband can travel between universes, and you're my step-mother-in-law!"

"Um, yeah, I guess that's right! Or at least I would be if Barry were married to you in Baumdoubt Valley."

"Nuh uh! That doesn't get you off the hook, mom! I'm counting on you for full-service step-mother-in-lawlessness now, including babysitting duty!"

"Any time! And thank you, Gloria. It was very sweet of you to say that. I feel honored."

"I mean it! Now, just one more question."

"Yes?"

"What time do you get off work?"

"Oh! Do you need a babysitter tonight?"

"No, we'll take Aaron with us. As soon as you're off work and Barry's back, we're going to visit Mama Sheba and ask Her what to do about all this!"

"I'd be glad to! Make it about 5:30, if the boys are done with their work by then."

"So? Ask 'em how they're doing!"

"Oh. Oops!" 'Hey guys! How are things going at the bridge?'

Last edited by Greg on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:48 pm
Greg wrote:

"Of course it is," Meadow said with a laugh. "This is Barry we're talking about!"

Don't you mean Gloria said with a laugh? :p

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:18 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 222: Boveena Bridge

While Gloria and Dallas were catching up on things, Barry was laying down a considerable shock wave on his way to Boveena Bridge. He swung out over the ocean past Bonnyview Shores to avoid rattling windows in the city.

He spotted his father already inspecting the bridge.

As he approached from seaward, he spotted his father already inspecting the bridge.

'What's the story, Dad?'

'It looks fairly gloomy, Barry. Those nitwits used a substandard steel where they should have had a high-strength heat treatment, then they capped it off by riveting where they should have welded. They should have built better footings, too. The arch is too shallow.'

'So we're in the construction business now, eh?'

'I think not. That's why we're here, son. If we want to fix this thing using normal construction techniques, we'd have to take down the whole bridge and start over!'

'Is it time to call in The Pearl?'

'And cut off the shoe supply for two years? Neither your wife nor mine would ever forgive us!'

'What can we do then? I mean, we're fast, but we're not that fast!'

'We rearrange the molecular structure of the metal, that's what. Mind-link. Do you see it? Try to think like a piece of steel.'

'Oh! Yeah, I can see the crystalline lattice where you've been working. Very orderly.'

'Yup! Give it a try. I want a single metal crystal throughout the entire structure. Rivets and weld plates, too. One solid piece of metal from the north abutment to the south.'

'Hmm... OK, I can do that. What do we do with all the extra carbon?'

'Use it to align the lattice at the corners. You'll pick up a lot of chromium and zinc, too. Those twits used stainless in some of the main structural elements! Really dumb, but it will be useful when we need to align things.'

'So, start in the middle and work to the ends?'

'Suits. With your help, we'll get this done and be home in time for tea! Then we call The Pearl.'

'But what do we need a construction company for?'

'Billing services. Hero work, I do for free, but fixing engineering blunders--hoo boy!--they're gonna pay! I'll send 'em a bill for what The Pearl would have charged to do it the old-fashioned way.'

'At least they won't be cut off for two years, but that's going to be a big bill!'

'Yeah. I figure we'll just about break even on the shoes.'

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:20 pm
Liss wrote:
Don't you mean Gloria said with a laugh? :p

I sure did! Fixed it. See? Even I get confused by the Trans-Universe Chopper Hopper! Barry probably would have noticed, though; one of them is his wife and the other is his step-mother!

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:25 am
That sort of flying lesson is different to the type learnt in Enderby - There is an art, or rather a knack, to flying. It requires that you throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Greg wrote:
Spine-Tingling Special Effects: This is another of those tricky mouseover animated thingies. Move your mouse over the picture to make Barry fade in. Don't bother clicking on it.

How do you do that?

Is this going to result in Barry having an affair with Dallas?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:58 am
Nihale199 wrote:
That sort of flying lesson is different to the type learnt in Enderby - There is an art, or rather a knack, to flying. It requires that you throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Greg wrote:
Spine-Tingling Special Effects: This is another of those tricky mouseover animated thingies. Move your mouse over the picture to make Barry fade in. Don't bother clicking on it.

How do you do that?

I wrote a JavaScript and embedded it in the message. In Hullabaloo terms, it's an Admin cheat code. lol

The script swaps images when you mouse over the picture.

Nihale199 wrote:
Is this going to result in Barry having an affair with Dallas?

Not a chance. Barry is definitely a one-Gloria kind of guy, and Dallas is very devoted to her husband. Besides, she's his step-mother!

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:49 pm
Quote:
"Hmm... good point. Let's back up to The Bomb-- No, honey, the square peg goes into the square hole."

"Don't even try, Dallas. He is his father's son. That square peg will go through that round hole!"

With a sigh, Dallas said, "Indeed he is! So, back to The Bomb..."

I never realized that adults could "help" the toddlers with the logic toy!

I guess I gotta get Daria and Joe a bigger house... the current one only has counterspace for 2 of 3 things (espresso machine, cuisinart, or Smart Milk dispenser) at one time! The toy gets jammed into a corner where only the baby can play with it... and minor architectural changes had to be made when Joe spun up a "buy a fireplace" want. Actually, if I ditched the fireplace, I think there'd be room in the bedroom for the toy to be against the wall instead of in the corner... but it looks so nice like it is!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:56 pm
Yup, I think even children can play with toddlers. While the toddler is playing with a toy, click on the toy and select "Play With." Make sure there's room to sit on the other side of the toy.

:story: Tales of Happy Valley