Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:01 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 204: On the Balcony

While Dallas and Greg were putting their toddlers to bed, Meadow lead Barry up to the main balcony on the second story.

"It seems bigger."

"I've always loved this balcony," Barry said. "We moved to another house before I was big enough to climb stairs, but I did a lot of exploring anyhow. Mom would get so mad at me when she caught me flying up the stairs!"

"She didn't like you flying?"

"She said She was afraid someone would see me, but I think She was really afraid that I'd hurt myself. Once I realized how much distress it caused her, I stopped doing it; but still, all through my childhood I enjoyed coming over to visit Uncle Giles and Aunt Frieda. We spent hours and hours sitting up here. It's strange, though; your balcony seems bigger than theirs."

"It might be," Meadow said. "We expanded it a while back so that we'd have more room to sit. Now, who are Uncle Giles and Aunt Frieda?"

Barry's dad answered. "That would be my Uncle Giles Edward. In our universe, he's still living in Scotland, but I do remember him moving to town when you were a toddler. That might be another clue about when it was that the timelines diverged."

"...the timelines diverged..."

Dallas and Greg came out on the porch and took seats opposite Barry and Meadow.

"What timelines diverged?" Barry asked.

"At the time of The Bomb. It's hard to explain this, Barry. When The Bomb went off, Dallas and I continued on as we were, but we both have distinct memories of things that happened in your world."

"More than memories," Dallas added. "Every night when I close my eyes to sleep, I feel as if I'd lead two lives that day. In my real life--here, that is--I spent the day taking care of my house my children, but I also have memories of a dream world, where I went to work and played games with my sisters."

"It's just like that," Greg said. "Barry, for me, this world is real. It's here and now and I can touch it and interact with it. But even now, at this very moment, I feel as if I'm also living in a huge mansion and playing with your brother, Hiram. Your mother is there, too. She's reading to us, a story by T. S. White. And She's feeling a little wistful about missing your baby's birthday party. Sorry about that!"

"Oh, no problem, Dad," Barry said. "The Matsons came over, and Kaylynn stayed for the party and Marisa came, too. Aaron had a great party!"

"Oh, good! As soon as you get home, make sure you call your mother and tell Her that!"

"OK. But, Dad, how do you know these things?"

Last edited by Greg on Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:46 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 205: Ripples From The Bomb

"Until I overhead you thinking to Dallas," Greg said, "we had always just chalked it up to delusions. We thought it might have started because Dallas missed her sisters so much, so she invented a fantasy world where they were still alive."

"Told you I'm crazy!"

Dallas laughed. "See? I told you I'm crazy! The weird thing was that Greg was having the same kind of delusions. He suddenly started thinking about being a teen-ager again. And his parents, and grandparents, too. We lost them all in The Bomb. Then along came this little girl, who grew up to be a big girl and eventually became your mother!"

"Except that the delusions got weird about that time," Greg said. "She turned out to be some kind of superhero, and then She had you, with all your talents. And then even I was flying around and doing superhero things!"

"We thought it was just harmless day-dreaming."

"It started for me, too," Meadow said. "It wasn't too long after I met your father. Just a little bit at first, but the day-dreams got to be more real after I married into the family. I remember your father's second childhood, and even having the twins while I was in college. Still, we all thought it was just harmless day-dreaming. We shared our private little fantasy world and talked about it when we were alone."

"These things grew more slowly in Meadow," Dallas said. "In fact, when the lights came back on and people started to move back, it wasn't the same. In the Happy Valley that we remember, she was a ward of the Matsons. That must be the people who came to Aaron's birthday party."

Barry nodded. "Yes, and they are Meadow's step-parents in my world."

"I grew up in the Atrois household here," Meadow said. "Day-dreaming about the Matsons worried me because I was afraid that I was unhappy with my step-parents, but really, I love them dearly. They were very good to me."

"Hmm... no Atrois family in my world, that I know of."

"And no Matsons here," Greg said. "Not any more."

"I'm getting an idea," Barry said. "It's really weird."

Meadow laughed. "Weirder than flying babies?"

"Even weirder than me."

"Even weirder than me. Um, Dad?"

"Yes, son?"

"That's just it. Do you think I'm your son? I mean really, in real life, wherever that might be?"

"Of course I do, Barry! I was there when you were born! Hey, I was there when you were conceived!"

"Hmm... which was where?"

"Flying over Mt. Omigawud, if you must know--"

"Oh, I do know! Mom told me. Or rather, She confirmed it when I asked. I remembered it happening, even when I was an infant."

"You alway were a precocious child. I made a major practice of denial back then; pretended that if I didn't see it, it didn't exist."

"Dad, do you see it? You look like my father. You sound like him! You smell like him! You even feel like him, when you think to me. Dad, you are him! One constant memory stream. One soul. Experiencing two different universes!"

"Huh? Oh. Oh, dear!"

Last edited by Greg on Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:52 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 206: Panuniversal Polyamory

"Oh dear!" Greg said. "That can't be right. It would make me a bigamist!"

"Um, trigamist, m'love," Meadow said. "You're already a bigamist."

"Polygamist, I think," Dallas said. "So, what's your point?"

"It would make me a bigamist!"

"But I'm already married to you two," Greg said. "I can't be--"

"Oh no you don't, buddy!" Dallas said. "You can't deny Her! If you're married to Her, then so am I!"

"Me, too!" Meadow said. "I like the idea of being married to Her! But I'm afraid that really does make me a bigamist because I'm married to Cornelius, too."

Dallas nodded. "And we're not. That's OK. You can have Cornelius all to yourself."

"Oh... I think this was easier to cope with when it was just a shared delusion!" Greg said.

Barry coughed. "Dad, does Mom know about Dallas and Meadow?"

"How could She?" Meadow asked. "She lives in a different universe."

"It's one of those things that I know, that I don't know."

"It's one of those things that I know, that officially I don't know," Barry said. "You can learn a lot by eavesdropping on your parents' thoughts! But I thought I'd better ask Dad to confirm it."

"Now, Barry, we had a talk about eavesdropping!"

"Oops! Sorry, Dad! Really, I haven't done that in years! Well, except when you're leaking."

"Good. See that you keep up the good work!"

"OK, Dad."

"But, I'm afraid Barry is right," Greg said, "and in this one case--" He look sternly at Barry. "--it's appropriate to bring up someone else's private thoughts, because in that world, we are a fantasy story. The difference is that we spend a lot of time making up stories about our neighbors."

"What kind of stories, Dad?"

"Ahem. Well, son... ask your mother."

Last edited by Greg on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:23 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 207: Passion and Power

Meadow was petulant. "Well, darn! Marital complications aside, I wish She lived here! I want to meet Her!"

"I wish She lived here!"

"Oh, I want more than to meet Her," Dallas said. "It's not fair! Yesterday, She was just a fantasy, but now that you're here, Barry, it's like a wanting something that's real but just out of reach!"

Greg released a heavy sigh, and nodded. "Yes, I wish you could meet Her, too. The reality of all this is rather overwhelming, but I can see the truth of it. I know exactly what is happening in that world. Or rather, I know what I am experiencing in that world. In fact right now,we're-- well, never mind what we're doing right now. But I have no idea what you two are doing. At least you do know her, in Barry's home world."

"It's not the same," Dallas said. "I've met Her, but in that world I've always been a little afraid of your family. It was nice when Barry and Gloria moved next door to me. I thought maybe I could get to know the family a little better. But then, I've been afraid to stop by and say hello, even to them. I don't know how welcome I would be."

"Golly, why not?" Barry asked. "Of course you'd be welcome!"

"It's complicated, though," Dallas said. "Your mother might not want me around. Long ago, when your father was a teenager, you see, we were--"

Barry waved his hand. "Not an issue, ma'am. At least not if Mom's feelings about everybody else who knew Dad back then is an example. She seems to be particularly fond of Dad's past girlfriends. Erm, except for one. There's one that She just doesn't want to hear about."

"Narcissa," Greg said. "Yeah, that was a really dumb move on my part."

"Not at all!" Barry said. "That's where Brenda came from, and she's one of my favorite sisters! Never mind that Brenda's mother was a royal pain. She's not even on the radar any more."

Dallas waved her hand and said, "Non sequitor coming up! I think I just got home, and I got a promotion!"

"Cool!" Meadow said. "Congratulations, honey!"

"Thanks! It's not as neat as having a superhero in the family, but it's still pretty neat!"

"That's something I've been wondering about," Barry said. "Why aren't you superheroes in this world?" 'You obviously have The Gift! Or at least the telepathy part of it! Why not the rest?'

Meadow squealed and clapped her hands. "Oh! I understood that!"

"See? Meadow can do it, too!"

"Well, sort of," Meadow said. "Sometimes I can receive, but when I try to send, nobody can understand me."

Barry nodded. "Yeah, weak signal. You might get better at it if you work on developing it."

"But I don't know how!"

"For that matter, neither does Dallas or I," Greg said. "Barry, do you really think we might be able to fly?"

"I can feel the power in you," Barry said. "All of you!"

"Me too?" Meadow asked.

"Yes, you too. Not as strongly as in Dad and Dallas, but it's there. Dallas is almost overwhelmingly strong. And Dad-- well, he's Dad!"

"What does that mean?" Greg asked.

Barry was perplexed. "I thought you knew, Dad. The Gift is so strong in you, it would be blinding if I tried to look directly at it. I thought you were unique, until I met Dallas."

"Surely not stronger than your mother--"

"Much stronger."

"But She was the original Captain Hero--"

"She was the first to put on the costume and play the role. You tried to ignore the whole thing, but Mom is much more pragmatic. When The Gift developed in Her, She accepted it and used it!"

"I'm feeling a strong temptation to slip back into denial right now!"

Dallas waved. "Don't do it, sweetie! I want to know more about this! Barry, can you teach us to fly?"

M E R R Y ~ C H R I S T M A S !

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:01 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 208: Hero Mode

"I don't know if I can teach you to fly," Barry said. "I just learned it from Mom, and that was before I was born! But I can at least show you how I do it!"

Meadow jumped up from her seat! "Show us, Barry! I want to see it again! And I promise I won't faint this time!"

"Hmm... the ceiling is a bit too low here on the balcony for a proper flying lesson--"

"To the roof!" Dallas said. "Let's go!"

"Yes!" Meadow said, jumping with excitement. "The roof!" She looked out at the sky. "Rats, it looks like we just missed the pretty part of the sunset."

"All the better," Barry said. "I take it that Baumdoubt Valley isn't ready to see superheroes in their skies just yet. Darkness is good."

With Meadow eagerly leading the way, they ascended up past the maid's quarters to the roof of Manse Orleans.

"So basically, it's all in your mind"

The last glow of sunset was upon the western mountains as they reached the rooftop. A lone passing cloud shone with noctilucent light.

Barry explained, "It's mostly just a matter of thinking about what you want to happen, and making it happen."

"So, basically, it's all in your mind?" Greg said.

"That's the crux of it, yes. I just think about what I want to do. If I'm going to do a proper flying demonstration, I'd better change into the costume. I don't want to wreck this sweater. Mom gave it to me as a graduation present!"

"Mom calls this 'entering hero mode.'"

"I just think about wanting to use The Gift, and--ta da!--here I am in costume! Mom calls this 'entering hero mode,' but Dad just calls it--"

"Hulking out," Greg said wryly.

"Or hunking out, as Mom would put it!" Barry added.

Dallas laughed. "I like Her sense of humor!"

"I like her taste in hunks!" Meadow added. "So that's it? You just think about it and you get the snazzy threads?"

"Pretty much," Barry said. "Of course, Mom had to make the costume first, but once I had it, it's there any time I want it, stored right where She put it, just around the corner from the current reality."

"Oh, is reality warping another Captain Hero thing?"

"Actually, I think it's a blonde thing," Greg said.

Last edited by Greg on Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 209: Aviation 101

"Wherever it came from," Barry said, "at least this suit keeps me from shredding my clothes if I fly too fast! That could be really embarrassing!"

Meadow grinned! "Now that's something I'd like to see!"

"Down girl!" said Dallas. "You're married! To his father!"

"I still have my fantasies! Not all of them have to turn out to be real!"

Barry felt a flush rising up his neck. "Ahem. Well then. So. We're doing a flying lesson here, I think."

"Oh, don't mind me," Meadow said. "Please do go on! I want to see it! And even retain consciousness while it's happening!"

"Well, I focus my mind on what I want to happen. In this case, I want to move my body relative to the roof. Erm... no, that's not quite it. What I'm thinking about is that I want to move the entire universe with respect to me, and--"

'...then, with a little hop, I'm flying!'

"--then, with a little hop, I'm flying! It's easy once I get airborne because I just think about moving the world where I want it to go--"

Barry's narrative was interrupted by raucous cheering. "Yeeoowwww! Huzzah! Huzzah!"

"Omigawud!" Meadow said. "It is real! He's really flying!"

Barry paused to hover just beyond the roof. "How fast can you go?" Greg asked.

"I don't know my top speed. I can go supersonic, but I'd better not do that over the city. Broken windows, y'know. Upsets the neighbors."

"This is so exciting! Do it, Barry! I want to see you fly really fast!"

"Well, OK. I'll go out past the city. There might be just enough humidity that I'll leave a contrail that you can see in the twilight glow."

He flew southward past the Franks Ranch and then out across the fields to circle Mount Lookithat. A visible streak of light formed leading from there across the western range to Mount Omigawud, rapidly moving faster across the sky.

A few seconds later, they heard a boom, as if someone had fired a canon in the distance.

"Oh my!" Meadow squealed. "I think I'm going to--"

"Get hold of yourself, honey!" Dallas said.

"Too late! Go, Barry, go-o-o-o-o! Omgawud! Go!"

As Barry turned for the leg home, she muttered, "Oh well, I needed to wash these pants anyhow."

Greg chuckled. "So glad you enjoyed it, m'dear!"

"Oh yes, I did! Didn't you?"

"Apparently not at much as you did!"

Still moving at high speed, but again subsonic, Barry streaked to a landing on the roof.

Barry streaked to a landing on the roof.

"Yahoo!" That was Dallas. She jumped and cheered. "Holy gerbits! I wanna learn to do that! I wanna! I wanna!"

"I wanna see it again!" Meadow said.

"Well done, son," Greg said. "I see tremendous possibilities in all this."

Barry realized that he was blushing from toes to crown. He tried to stop himself, but blurted out, "Well, I could tell that somebody was having a good time with my little flying demonstration!"

Meadow gasped. "You know?"

"Golly, yes, ma'am! You were broadcasting on all frequencies! People must have felt it all over town!"

"Oh my!"

"That's another thing to learn about The Gift. You have to learn to control it. Don't be surprised if there's a baby boom in Baumdoubt about nine months from now!"

"Oh my! Yes, I'd better learn to control it!"

"That, too," Greg said. "I remember your mother coaching you when you were just a baby. I think I can teach us all that."

"So you think you'll take up flying, Dad?" Barry asked.

"Oh, certainly! But that's not the most important thing I've seen tonight. Barry, you said you do this just by thinking about it."

"Yes, sir."

"That's the root of it. The Gift is a mental power! Barry, I think I know why your Trans-Universal Chopper Hopper didn't come with you when you arrived in Baumdoubt Valley."

"Sir?"

Dallas interjected a comment. "I see it! Barry! It didn't come with you because didn't need it! It wasn't your machine that moved you here! It was you!"

"Precisely that," Greg agreed. "Which means, Barry, you should be able to go home any time you want to!"

Barry gaped. "I can go home? Without my machine? I guess I can at least try. Now, if I envision my house..."

He tried to concentrate, but found that the vision of his home eluded him, a whisper of a thought just beyond his mental reach. The harder he tried to focus his thoughts, the more elusive it became.

"It's no use," he said. "I can't get it."

"Fatigued," Greg said.

"Yes, honey, I can feel it," Dallas added. "You're past over-tired. Too much for one day."

"Maybe we should get some rest. It's way past our bedtime--"

"Bedtime is good!" Meadow said eagerly.

'Sometimes she reminds me of Mom,' Barry thought.

"Hey, I heard that!"

"Oops, sorry." Barry was beginning to wonder if his fatigue came from blushing so much.

"Yes, let's turn in for the night," Dallas said. "Barry, we don't have a guest room set up, but would the maids' quarters do for tonight?"

"It would do fine, ma'am," Barry said. "And thank you! Right now, even that bench on the roof is beginning to look inviting!"

Last edited by Greg on Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:52 pm
Greg wrote:
"Oh... I think this was easier to cope with when it was just a shared delusion!" Greg said.

Grin

Happy Solstice! Well, that was actually on Wednesday, but y'know...
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:52 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 210: Of Like Minds

The family rose early the next day and gathered for a hearty breakfast of pancakes cooked up by the boys. The table topic of the morning was the boys' math lessons, but unknown to them, a very different silent conversation dominated the adults' communication.

'Pool your power.'

"That's right," Greg was saying. "Topologically, a Klein bottle has only one surface, neither inside nor outside."

While the boys were puzzling over the mathematical phenomenon of the Klein bottle, he silently switched subjects. 'I'm still confident that it will work,' he thought. 'If The Gift is a mental power, your nuclear-powered contraption didn't get you here, Barry. It might have created the path between universes, but you made the translation by yourself.'

'That would fit the math better,' Barry thought. 'Still, I don't understand how to get from where I am to where I want to be. Without that, I don't move. I think the path created by the Trans-Universe Chopper Hopper was a significant part of my being able to make the translation. It gave me something to follow when I didn't know the destination.'

'But this time, you do know your destination. What you need to do is increase your signal gain, so that you can find the path.'

'I see where you're going with this,' Barry thought. 'If I'm mind-linked to someone else, I just might be able to punch through to home.'

'Right. Pool your power so you can see farther.'

He had a feeling of colors swirling in an amorphous mass of clouds and gelatin, mostly warm colors enveloping masses of cooler colors. With a covert wink at Meadow, he thought, 'I'm sorry, ma'm. I don't understand.'

'She's saying that one of us needs to stay home to take care of the babies,' Dallas thought.

'And I have to get to the base this morning,' Greg thought. 'I'm feeling guilty about leaving early yesterday. We have a new shipment of greenies coming in today and I'm hoping the staff is ready for them.'

'Then I'm elected,' Dallas thought.

More colors, vibrant and expanding. Meadow smiled.

'I agree,' Greg thought. 'Barry's chances of success will be better if he is mind-linked to one of us who has a lot of power.'

"Boys, time to go!" Dallas said. "The school bus is here! So, Barry, want to walk over to Westview and take a look at that empty lot you were talking about?"

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:25 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 211: An Empty Field

"I figure your best chance is to start from the same place where you entered this world," Dallas said. "So here we are!"

"Try visualizing where you want to be instead of how to get there."

"Now, focus on what this place looks like in your world," she continued. "Try to visualize where you want to be, and don't worry so much about how you'll get there. I know this place in both worlds. After all, it's my back yard! I'll do the same thing."

"Do you know what my house looks like?"

'Mind link,' she thought. 'Yes, I do. I watched you build it, in your world. Now I can see it in your mind.'

'OK, so let's see if I can go there!'

He concentrated, imagining himself traveling through space to his home. Occasionally it felt as if he was just about to make it, but his goal was a will o' the wisp, always slipping way when he reached for it. Each time he got close, something would intrude on his mind. They seemed to be local issues. Did the boys have enough clean clothes for school this week? Are the training schedules for the new recruits in place? Did Meadow leave her dainties hanging in the bathroom again?

'It's not working,' he thought. 'I'm getting distracted.'

A baritone chuckle intruded on their thoughts. 'Dallas, you need to focus, too, hon. Close your eyes. Send your thoughts to Barry's world, and bring him to you. You need to get your mind closer to Barry's. Show him the path to you, in the other world.'

'I'll try,' Dallas thought. 'Help me, Barry.'

'What do I do?'

'Help her focus on you, son.'

'Huh? How?'

Another chuckle. 'What would your mother advise?'

'Um...'

'That's right. Now I'll back out. You two just think about getting Barry home!'

Dallas raised her face to Barry's. 'Well?'

'But--'

She laughed. 'Coward!' "C'mere, boy!"

Dallas focuses all her attention on Barry.

"Oh wow!" she said. "You are your father's son!" 'OK, I'm there, in your back yard, in your home world. Come to me!'

'I can almost see you!'

'Concentrate! Do you see the path?'

'Yes, there is a path! It's getting more clear now! I can see it!'

Come to me!

'Follow the path, Barry! Come to me!'

Last edited by Greg on Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:33 am
<broad grins> I love this story! Great work, Greg!
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:25 am
Sita wrote:
<broad grins> I love this story! Great work, Greg!

smile Thanks, Sita! I'm glad you enjoy it!

Now, since it wouldn't be nice to leave Barry stuck in a transuniversal space-time warp...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:09 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 212: Again, Dangerous Compulsions

Early that same Monday morning, the predawn light crept upon the Geiffies sisters' home in Happy Valley with the promise of a bright, clear day. A gentle breeze from the northeast brought the scent of magnolia blossoms from St. Andrews Park.

The Geieffies Sisters' Home

When Dallas awoke that morning, she was overcome with strange compulsive feelings. She desparately wanted to visit her back-yard neighbors, those nice Bennett kids who had moved in just a few days ago. Barry and Gloria were such a happy couple; she wanted to get to know them better.

Even more urgent was her desire to tell all her sisters how much she loved them.

Dallas awoke with strange compulsive feelings.

As she rose, a third thought intruded upon her mind. She felt a lingering desire to have an affair with Barry's parents--both of them! And someone else. Nah, it couldn't be that she was obsessing about that cute little Meadow Tellerman!

'That must have been some dream!' she thought. 'Well, that's not going to happen!'

Sleep still lingered as a foggy mist in her mind and she couldn't quite figure out where these feelings were coming from. Nevertheless, they seemed very important to her, so she thought to indulge them. Well, at least the two least dangerous ones. That third thing would have to remain forever a private fantasy.

It was too early to go visiting, but since she and her sisters shared a huge common bedroom, satisfying her immediate need was but a matter of the moment.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:29 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 213: The Affectionate Family

"Hey, everybody!" Dallas called. "I want you all to know that I love you more than life itself!"

Her sister Chyna seemed perplexed. "What brought that on, Dallas? Are you all right?"

"I'm just feeling affectionate this morning, I wanted to tell you I love you!"

"I love you, too!" said Glenda. "All of you!"

"That does it!" Rosalinda said. "Let's go everybody! Group hug with Dallas in the middle!"

"Group hug with Dallas in the middle!"

Soon Dallas found herself squished in a confusing tangle of silk, nylon, and drippy-eyed sisters.

Anka seemed the most touched by the unexpected display of affection. "This is so nice! I wish Lorna could be here!" she murmured through her tears.

Dallas thought of her sister, Lorna. She was the first to marry out of the household, to one of the Franks boys no less!

"So, let's do it!" Belynda said. "As soon as we're all home from work this afternoon, let's go over to Lorna's house and hug her to pieces!"

"Good idea!" Roberta said. "But remember to be careful! She's pregnant!"

Rosalinda was the first to release from the mutual embrace. "Ack! Work! Gotta go! C'mon, Belynda! Our students are waiting!"

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:53 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 214: The Dawn Patrol

The science teachers in the family had to hurry off to the high school, but Dallas had a few hours before she needed to be at the police station. She couldn't suppress her compelling need to visit her neighbors, so compelling that her shy nature was pushed far back behind the shadows of her mind.

Something about that Bennett boy...

'Twere best done quickly. Dawn had broken and if she were to greet her neighbors before she had to go to work, she had to hurry. She rushed downstairs, almost beating Rosalinda out the door.

An idle thought crossed her mind. 'Rosalinda seems to be in an affectionate mood this morning. Maybe I should kiss her more often. Well, thank goodness for smear-proof lipstick and waterproof mascara!'

Her mission came into better focus. There was something about that Bennett boy. Fortunately, it wasn't far to walk, just around the corner and down the block.

Barry needed her help. 'Now where did that come from? That doesn't make any sense at all! I'm just a measly patrol cop! Why on Earth would a superhero need help from me?'

Aound the corner and down the block.

Such doubts notwithstanding, she knew that it was true. There was something she could do for Mr. Captain Superduperhero Barry. If only she could understand what!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:16 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 215: Bifurcated Blonde

Visions of Other Worlds

By the time she got to Barry and Gloria's front door, Dallas's head was abuzz with peculiar notions about strange places and visions of other worlds. The whole idea of wormholes through hyperspace and telezapping through the multiverse was patently absurd, of course, the stuff of science fiction hijinks.

Still, she couldn't shake the thought. After all, superheroes had appeared in her own town. Truth could be stranger than fiction!

She imagined herself walking through a field of grass, talking with a companion from a world far way from her own. For a moment, she felt as if she were somewhere else, perhaps even someone else. Disconnected. Yet connected nevertheless. It was stranger than those times she imagined that she was eavesdropping on her neighbors' private thoughts.

'Weird thought,' she thought. 'Oh well, I already knew I was crazy. I'm here now. Might as well ring the bell and meet my neighbors!'

Last edited by Greg on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

:story: Tales of Happy Valley