Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:08 pm
I have just one thing to say - eep! And if that's just that block... assuming the density is the same for the whole town... double eep!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:13 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 197: Room Enough for Happiness

In an endeavor to alleviate Global Eeping, we humbly provide this Hero's Eye View view of all of Happy Valley.

Happy Valley on GD 134

The views shown in Chapter 196 are the northwestern corner (upper left) of the valley. That's Westview Blvd running along the west side of town and Monticello Blvd along the scree slope of the northern moutain range.

As you can see, there is still plenty of real estate left in town for its rapidly expanding population.

The downtown district is on Main Street just west of Happy Valley Road. At the corner of Main and Franks Ranch Road is the Rising Tide Party HQ with the Happy Valley Tribune building right next to it. Perry White (and Amarilla Allspin, when she hasn't been kicked out of town) live upstairs above the Tribune offices.

The First Christian Church is just west of Happy Valley Road at the corner of Main and Oak, with the parsonage behind. Rev. Olis and his wife Ada will move there eventually, but for now they are still living a block over on Cherry Street with their son Ralph and daughter-in-law Marie. (Ralph and Marie are Greg's parents.)

Two blocks east of Happy Valley Road and two blocks south of Main Street you'll see a light-colored house at 207 S Cherry Street. That's the Lund household, birthplace of She Who Must Be Obeyed. Greg's birthplace, where his parents and grandparents still live, is the northernmost house on Cherry Street, at 213 N Cherry.

Down in the southeast part of town you can see the Morningside Cemetery and way down south is the palace of the infamous Sheik Omar al Saiidi.

Now, if I've told the story correctly, if you follow Happy Valley Road south out of town, you'll end up at the Happy Valley University; and if you go out east on Main Street and wind through the mountains, you'll come to Bonnyview Shores.

Last edited by Greg on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:59 am
Eeping alleviated on a local scale, at least.

Makes note to self that a terrain like that would be useful (hint) - most of my neighbourhoods are, more often than not, mostly harmless... I mean, mostly water.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:17 am
That's a good idea! If I can figure out how to package up a terrain for the web, I'll do that.

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:59 am
Assuming you still have the terrain file, it'll be somewhere like:

C:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\SC4Terrains\Happy Valley.sc4

Or maybe:

C:\My Documents\SimCity 4\Regions\Region\City - Happy Valley.sc4

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:23 pm
Aha! I shall endeavor to find it when I get home tonight!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:10 pm
Mission accomplished!

See here: Happy Valley Terrain Download Topic
smile

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:45 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 198: The Mountain

While were touring about (and while I'm trying to figure out how to tell what happens next to Barry), I thought you might enjoy a bit more of the tour, so I asked Greg to fly over the town and snap a picture of Mt. Lookitthat looming over the Franks Ranch.

Mt. Lookitthat

In this view we're facing toward the southwest. That's W Main Street headed out through the foothills. You can see the Houstonian on the right side of the picture and Sheik Omar's place on the left.

Jana and Roger live just up the hill from Sheik Omar.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:25 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 199: Tour of the Town

Northwest Happy Valley

Greg likes to take pictures of his own home. This image prominently features The Houstonian on Westview Blvd. You can also see Manse Orleans, where Giles Edward and Frieda live now, at the northern end of Franks Ranch Road.

Barry and Gloria's house is on the left. You can see his Trans-Universe Chopper Hopper behind it, only partially visible in this universe.

Nearer the bottom of the screen is the large brown Geieffies' house with its back yard adjacent to Barry and Gloria's. It looks like two houses. There's a breezeway on the ground level. Note the plumbbob! The Geieffies are very much alive in Happy Valley!

Downtown Happy Valley

Let's fly toward the southeast and then turn back for a gander at downtown. You should be able to spot the RKO Orpheum theater with the shops adjacent to it and across Main Street. The blue house at the upper left is the Allardice place on Franks Ranch Road.

The brown stone building just down from the Allardice house is Ophelia's Rising Tide Party HQ. The loyal opposition, the Morpot Party, hasn't built a headquaters. They just borrow space from the Rising Tide. Neither party is really much of a political party, although they hold great parties!

In the last election Ophelia's party used the slogan "Catch the wave!" Lame, but Mayor Ralph got re-elected anyhow. The Morpot's tried for the semi-honest approach this time around with "You can fool enough of the people most of the time," with disastrous results. Not even Goopy's mother voted for him! In fact, even Goopy voted for Mayor Ralph.

The final tally was 546 to 0, with one spoiled ballot. The spoiled ballot was attributed to Madame Arabella Skye, who instead of voting wrote her phone number on the back of it and handed it to a rather tipsy traveling salesman who had stopped by the election night party hoping to unload his supply of toe socks on the local haberdasher.

The Happy Valley Tribune building right next door is next door to the Rising Tide.

The large white building in the upper right is the Cramer Machine shop. It belongs to Greg's grandpa Oatha, y'know.

The First Christian Church of Happy Valley

While we're here, let's fly a little closer and take a good look at the First Christian Church of Happy Valley. Grandpa Olis preaches here every Sunday. The church's music director, Dr. Harry Sykes, plays the carillon bells in the bell tower every day at noon to the delight of the locals. Consequently, properties adjacent to the church are the most sought-after real estate in town.* Nearby lots are small but very, very pricey these days.

They buy the grape juice for communion at the pharmacy and convenience store next door. The little house next to the pharmacy is unoccupied. It is, in fact, community property, although it is fully furnished as a quite livable little home.

*This actually happened in my real-world home town of Galesburg, Illinois. Dr. Sykes is named after the real-world music director of the First Christian Church of Galesburg. The church is a block off the town square, and on nice spring days folks who work around the square would have a picnic lunch and listen to the music.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:26 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 200: New Family in the Old World

Dinner with the Other Family
Clockwise from Greg: Dallas, Alexander, Brian, William, Corwin, Barry, and Meadow.

Dallas invited her firstborn sons over for dinner to meet "Cousin" Barry.

"Forgive me for inflicting our children upon you during your first visit, Barry," she said, "but I thought you might like to meet them while you're in town. That's Alex in the black shirt, and William in his business suit. Brian is next to Alex and that's Corwin next to you. And the rug rats over there are Dolly and Evelyn! I won't confuse you with who had whom here!"

Barry laughed. "I shall not try! I really can't tell you what a privilege it is to meet you all!"

"Yeah, don't try to figure us out, Barry. It still confuses us!" Brian said.

"William does the Captain Hero comic books," Meadow said.

"Are you a Captain Hero fan, Barry?"

"Oh! Are you a Captain Hero fan, Barry?" Alexander said. "My brother won't tell you how great he is, so I will! he has a tremendous fan following. Every issues sells out from here to Strangetown!"

"Um, why yes," Barry said. "I'm quite fond of Captain Hero!"

"And Sheba!" Corwin added. "Mamas have been telling us all about Her since before we learned to read!"

"My favorite is Baby Barry," Brian said. "It's interesting that you have the same name, Barry! Hey, you even look a lot like the way William draws him!"

Barry coughed. "Ahem! Well, yes, I'm sure that Baby Barry is quite an adventurous little tyke!"

William was gazing at him intently. Barry felt as if he were being studied. "Hey, y'know," he said, "maybe it's time I had Baby Barry start growing up! The gag about a superhero in diapers is getting a little old now."

"I'm sure that Baby Barry will appreciate the gesture," Barry said. "Well, so, what was this about a bomb?"

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:49 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 201: About The Bomb

“Today, we call this town Baumdoubt Valley,” Dallas said, “but it once was known as Happy Valley.”

“That’s where I live!”

"The town was totally wiped out, except for two survivors."

“Yes, I’m beginning to understand this. Something happened a few years ago; something terrible. One day, everybody in the entire city disappeared. The town was totally wiped out, except for two survivors.”

“That would be us,” Greg added.

“Yes, just Greg and me,” Dallas said. “We searched through every house and every building in the city. We climbed to every pass in the mountains. There was nobody else. They were all gone! Every one of them!”

“We had just moved to this house,” Greg said. “It was the day after we got married. We didn’t have any better ideas, so we set up to live on as we were.”

“Then the lights came back on. City services were restored. And people started moving in.”

"That's where Sheba came from!"

"That's where Sheba came from," Meadow said.

"At least in my comic books," William said.

"Right. She arrived as a baby with her parents--"

"But, mom, that's only in the comic books," Alexander said. "They don't really live here in town."

"No, but it feels like She does sometimes!"

"All the time!" Corwin agreed.

"I wonder if we're too involved in my stories about comic book characters," William muttered.

Barry thought it prudent to change the subject. He searched his mind for a fast segue into something else.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:08 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 202: Feels Like Home

Dallas and Greg started fidgeting when Meadow brought up the subject of his mother and said it felt like She lived there. They seemed to be getting really nervous about talking about that in front of the boys, so Barry thought he could help out by sliding into a different subject.

"You have a beautiful home here, Mrses Bennett," he said. "Thank you for making me feel so welcome!"

"Why thank you, Barry!" Dallas said. "Our house is your house, so make yourself right at home!"

"I can just imagine my mother..."

"Thank you, ma'am. This does feel like home, it reminds me so much of the house I grew up in, at least in my early childhood. I can just imagine my mother feeding my brother Gilbert while I was playing on the floor right over there--"

"I remember that!" Meadow said. "You were right there by the door to the kitchen--"

Barry heard a broadcast in his mind, a breathy soprano with a distinct Texas accent. 'Meadow! Not now!'

Then a deep baritone. 'Yes, dear, please, if you can make this out, let's wait until a little later. Perhaps up on the balcony after Alex and Willem have left and the rest are asleep.'

'Oops! Sorry, Dad!' Barry thought.

'No problem, Barry. I'd just like to keep this among us, at least until we have handle on what's happening and why you're here.'

'Oh. OK, dad.'

"Well, thank you for a wonderful, dinner, ma'am... um... ma'ams," he said. "The pork chops were most excellent!" 'Just like Mom makes!''

Dallas chuckled. "Thank you, Barry!" she said. "Higher praise, we have never received!"

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:32 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 203: Telepathically Mute, but Definitely Not Deaf

Barry thought he might have picked up an attempt from Meadow to respond to the mental messages that were flinging around the table, but if she said anything, it was only a faint murmur that he couldn't understand. Nevertheless, she did pick up on the plan.

"Would you like to see the view from our balcony?"

She looked at him and said, "Hey Barry, if you're done eating, would you like to see the view from our balcony?"

Dallas hastily stuffed on last bite of her pork chop into her mouth. "That's a good idea!" she said. "You two head on up there. Greg and I can get the toddlers to bed. Boys, can you clean up the table?"

The teens get stuck doing the dishes.

"Sure thing, mom!" Brian said. "C'mon, Corwin! I'll rinse 'em and you can load 'em!"

"OK," Corwin said, "but let me put my blazer away first. Last time you splattered water all over it!"

Barry noticed that Alex made a quick glance at William. A series of indecipherable looks passed between them, as if they were communicating in some arcane code known only to twins.

Not more than two seconds passed before William said, "Well, bro, we'd best be getting home to our new brides! Mom and Mom, what Barry said! Thank you for a most excellent dinner! And thank you for inviting us, too! Barry, it was great to meet you!"

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:15 am
I think the parallel Universe-induced eeping has subsided now that I know a little more about what's going on.

I have a feeling that getting Barry onto the balcony is a plan to see if he can fly...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:34 pm
Nihale199 wrote:
I think the parallel Universe-induced eeping has subsided now that I know a little more about what's going on.

Oh, good! Can you explain it to me now? smile

Nihale199 wrote:
I have a feeling that getting Barry onto the balcony is a plan to see if he can fly...

Really close to what I had in mind! Wait for it! FWIW, he's already demonstrated his ability to fly on the front porch.

:story: Tales of Happy Valley