Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:37 am
Quote:
Well, to be precise, it's a plot, not spin. This is a story, not a faked-up "news" report on CNN.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Sorry!!! Interesting plot!!!

nanci2121
Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:57 am
Greg wrote:
"This could start a whole new revolution in physics and advance the solution to the theory of general relativity! It might even be the solution to faster-than-light star travel!"

If he gets lynched by angry mobs of Physicists, he brought it upon himself.

Looking at it, it seems Enderby is a mix of both Valleys - General Greg from Baumbdoubt and She from Happy. My brain hurts.

Did Barry just end up going to the other side of the drainage basin?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:58 am
Nihale199 wrote:
If he gets lynched by angry mobs of Physicists, he brought it upon himself.

Isn't that the way it always works? You take care of one mob with torches and pitchforks and then here comes another one up the other side of the hill!

Nihale199 wrote:
Looking at it, it seems Enderby is a mix of both Valleys - General Greg from Baumbdoubt and She from Happy. My brain hurts.

Rolling on the Floor Laughing Indeed, but not to worry; it gets worse!

Totally confused innocent bystanders might want to refer to the gazetteer in The Many Lives of Gregsim.

Nihale199 wrote:
Did Barry just end up going to the other side of the drainage basin?

I wonder if we just encountered a difference in cultures across the pond. "Drainage basin"?

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:35 am
If I remember correctly, Happy Valley and Baumbdoubt are on the other side of a mountain range from one another, right?

If it were to rain over said mountain range, half would go into the river flowing near Happy Valley and the other half would go into the river flowing near Baumbdoubt. (Assuming there is a river in each) I don't think I'm making sense. You might know of this sort of geographical thingy as a watershed or something.

A watershed is a region of land where water drains downhill into a specified body of water, such as a river, lake, sea, ocean or wetland. A watershed includes both the waterway and the land that drains to it. Each watershed is separated topographically by a ridge, hill or mountain. A watershed is like a funnel - collecting all the water within the drainage area and channeling it into a waterway. - Wikipedia article.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:03 pm
Hmm... I don't remember exactly what I said about the relationship between Baumdoubt Valley and Happy Valley, or where I said it.

I'm thinking that for the purposes of the story, Baumdoubt Valley needs to be in a parallel universe. (Otherwise it would be silly for Barry to go to elaborate measures to get there when he could just hop into a car and drive.)

Happy Valley and Bonnyview Shores are in the same universe, separated by a mountain pass or two. I've had characters cross over between Happy Valley and Bonnyview Shores a couple of times already (both the Frankses and the Bennetts own property in both towns), but I don't think I've ever before done a cross-over between Happy Valley and Baumdoubt Valley.

So... if you run across a spot where I had BV and HV located in the same universe, let me know; gotta fix it. This is my punishment for attempting to publish a story as I'm writing it. blush

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:34 pm
Greg, in 'The Baumdoubt Valley Bugle,' wrote:
Just over the mountain range from Happy Valley you will find the curious town of Baumdoubt Valley. Some time after after the bomb hit, their fellow simizens established a new town of Happy Valley, but two hardy souls remained behind in their homeland.

It sort of ruins the atmosphere of the story now that I've said it...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:36 pm
Hmm... yup, I can fix that! As I recall, the geographic proximity of the two valleys is not important anywhere else.

Addendum: Fixed. Pretty much, anyhow. smile

Last edited by Greg on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:58 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 193: A Fine Young Man

When Greg arrived home, he started thinking at Barry. Meadow took humbrage with this because she wanted to hear what was happening on this most peculiar morning at Manse Orleans.

"Apologies, m'dear," Greg said. "Maybe if you concentrate--"

"Not now. I'm too excited! All I'm getting is colored lights and smudgy shapes. This is too good to miss! Talk! Talk!"

"Very well," Greg said. "Now, Barry, let me look at you!"

"You are exactly as I had imagined!"

"Such a fine young man!" he continued. "You are exactly as I had imagined you!"

"I thank you for the compliment, dad," Barry said. "Oops, um, is it OK if I call you 'dad'? You're so much like my father in my home universe."

"I would be honored."

"B'b'but... what do you mean, I'm just like you had imagined?"

Meadow giggled. "Oh, I can tell! This is going to be good!"

"Wait for it, sweetie," Dallas said.

"Well, son," Greg said. "I have no rational explanation for it, but I already know you. We all do! You and your family are a figment of our collective imagination! We know your story, of how you came to be a superbaby. We know about your brothers and sisters, too, from Alexander all the way through little Hiram, and those are just the ones from your mother!"

"You are a figment of our collective imagination!"

Barry laughed. "I do have brothers named Alexander and Hiram! And a sister Cally, and another Dora--"

"And Ezekiel and Farrah and Flavia and Graham," Greg added.

"That's right! That's amazing! Do you know about all the others? Sandra and Wanda and--"

It was Dallas's turn. "Sandra and Wanda were out of Winona," she said in a sing-song recitation. "Then Brenda made three, from Narcissa, you see. Valerie kept Sabrina and Cordelia her Constance but when Frieda had Gilbert he was shared by all four. Monica's Norman was then to be seen and our own sweet dear Meadow had Arthur and Arlene!"

"The scansion is still terrible," Greg said.

"Hey! I'm workin' on it!"

Meadow clapped and cheered. "I like that last part! I'm in the story, too!"

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:26 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 194: Fantastic Figment

Barry was quite taken aback by Dallas's recitation. "That's them! That's all of them! Unless there's more--"

"Nope," Dallas said. Those are all the ones we know about. Are there more?" She winked at her husband.

"Are there more?"

"No, not that I know of," Barry said. "I think that's all of them."

Greg nodded. "A fact which is more telling than all the rest combined, even the flying bit."

"Oh, you saw that?"

"From my helicopter window."

"But how do you know? And why did you bother to memorize all those kids' names?"

"Because we tease him about it all the time!" Dallas said.

"Mercilessly!" Meadow added.

"Because we all have the same fantasies," Greg said, "and you're part of it, Barry. Until this morning, I just chalked it up to telepathy, but I'm thinking there's more to it."

"Maybe so, but I can't guess what!" Barry said.

"Is there really a Meadow in your world, Barry?" Meadow asked. "And she had twins? I only have my Brian here."

"Yes, there is!" Barry said. "She's married to an army general, too, but his name is Cornelius Tellerman. Great guy, really."

"Oh! I know about Cornelius!"

"Gives me something to tease her about!" Greg said.

"But no babies for me?" Dallas asked.

Barry thought fast. "Well, ma'am, no. The only Dallas I know of in Happy Valley is Dallas Geieffies. But, ma'am, if I didn't already have a mother, you would be my first choice!"

"If I didn't already have a mother, you'd be my first choice!"

"Oh, I love it!" Dallas said. "Flatter me, boy! I don't believe a word of it, but I love it! Hear that, lovers? I'm number two behind She Who Must Be Obeyed!"

Greg coughed. "I don't know if we should mention it, Barry, but Dallas is in love with your mother."

"So are you!"

"We all are!" Meadow said. "She is our favorite fantasy!"

Last edited by Greg on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:59 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 195: They're Alive!

"Wait a minute," Dallas said. "Barry, did you say you know Dallas Geieffies?"

"Yes, ma'am. Can't say that I know her very well, but--"

"But you do know her?"

"Lives in a big house with her seven sisters. All of 'em are quite fond of dad, actually--"

"Barry!"

"Ma'am?"

"They're alive!"

"That's me! My maiden name is Geieffies! And if she still lives with her sisters, that means they're still alive!" She turned to Greg. "They're alive, honey! Alive! They survived The Bomb! They may be in another universe, but they're alive!"

"Yes, ma'am, very much so. I see them around town all the time."

"Barry, come with me."

"Yes, ma'am."

She lead him out to the sidewalk and pointed southward down Franks Ranch Road toward a large, multi-story house at the other end of the house. Tears welled up in her eyes. "That house?"

"Yes, ma'am, just like that one! It's right behind the house I built for Gloria. Or at least where that house should be."

"Here, that house is empty. All my sisters were lost in The Bomb. But they're alive! I knew they were! I think about them all the time! I can feel them! I dream about them at night, know about them going on with their careers. I've always wondered why out of all of us, I should be the only one to survive. But now I know! They're alive!"

"Yes, ma'am. But, what bomb?"

"Oh dear. Barry, can you stay for dinner?"

"Thank you, ma'am. I can't say that I really have anywhere else to go right now, and don't know how I'd get there if I did!"

"Good, because this is going to be a long story!"

If you're lost in the valley, you might want to refer back to the map of Happy Valley in Chapter 160 or even in Chapter 2.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:19 pm
(In case anybody is wondering: That's it for tonight. It's time for me to think about getting to bed!)

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:27 pm
Good night! love3

nanci2121
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:57 pm
Greg wrote:
"That's me! My maiden name is Geieffies! And if she still lives with her sisters, that means they're still alive!"

One is all choked up!

Nice crossover...
It was only a matter of time
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:34 pm
till this occurred to you, since your Sims live in alternate universes already.
Very nice story Greg, and I do like the way it pulls things together! It had to be Barry too...
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:37 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 196: Suburban Sprawl

I was looking at the two map images that I referenced in the note at the end of chapter 195 and was surprised at the growth of this little town in just 10 sim weeks!

Well, OK, 10 sim weeks is a lifetime for a normal sim, but there don't seem to be any normal sims in Happy Valley!

Happy Valley circa GD 60

I don't have a handy image of Baumdoubt Valley, but its map looks very much like the one for Happy Valley above. The Geieffies home (birthplace of Dallas) is the sprawling complex on the northwest corner of Franks Ranch Road and Hammond Street. That's the empty house in Baumdoubt Valley that made her so unhappy.

A block south of there on Franks Ranch Road is the blue Allardice place. It, too, is tragically empty in Baumdoubt Valley. So is the Toddulaunga house (next door to Manse Orleans) and every other house in that little cluster.

Happy Valley on GD 132

:story: Tales of Happy Valley