Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Venison ideas needed
Venison ideas needed
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:29 pm
I've got a couple pounds of venison cut into chunks for stew meat. My current plan (unless someone has better ideas) is to toss it in the crockpot in the morning with some beef broth, potatoes, carrots and either flour or the small tapioca that will basically disintegrate and become thickener.

Anyone got any better ideas?

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:25 pm
Grind it up with a bit of suet and make Bambi Burgers?

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:58 pm
We have ground too, and bulk sausage as well. Was looking for something to do with the pre-cut chunks. I went with the stew idea -- floured the chunks and threw them in the pot with carrots and broth. Will put some potatoes in later; didn't have time with tonight's dinner cooking at the same time.

Chunks of deer
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:39 pm
My father cook chunks of vension cooked in a jar of his homemade salsa as a dinner. It was HOT but very tasty. Was even better the next day dumped on slices of homemade bread as a different kind of steak sandwich.

Personally, I would have gone the stew route as it's hard to beat a good venison stew, I even prefer it to elk.

-SCG
miros1
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:44 pm
Hm, I think I have a jar of mild salsa around here somewhere...

Wild Meat
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:11 pm
My father is a big hunter so if it has a season...and some that don't...we have eaten it. Maybe one of those Northern Michigan things...I'm not sure. One of our Christmas standards is BBQed Beaver slow cooked in a crockpot for sandwiches. It's unbelievably delicious. We have other things too like smoked pheasant, vension roast and mundane things like free-ranged chicken & duck and home grown beef or smoked Michigan salmon. It's always funny to just mention the beaver. smile My sister-in-law never eats anything at my parent's house without asking what's in it first. We all laugh at that.

Rose,

You can make a milder version of the venison in salsa by using a can of diced tomatoes and add just some salsa for flavoring. What do they call that when made with beef? Swiss steak, salisbury steak....I don't know, it has a name for it normally. You could serve it over noodles then or rice if you prefer to stretch it out a bit.

-SCG
For a side dish
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:24 pm
You could make a traditional Polish side dish to go with if you wanted to. It's a cheap meal as most Polish traditionals are.

Take a head of lettuce and chop it up. Toss that in a pan with some pats of butter to fry. Take a few eggs probably about 3 for your averaged sized skillet. Scramble them and add some milk like you are going to make some scrambled eggs, a bit of flour to make like a batter that looks like pancake batter . Set aside till your cabbage is soft then drizzle the eggs in holes like to make dumplings then season with some salt & pepper. When the egg dumplings have cooked and look puffy like scrambled eggs, stir the whole mess up and ladle some on each plate. Sounds really odd but tastes really good. Dad called it "Hai-lu-ski" phoenetically. Since that is also the word for noodles, I think it refers more to any side dish but that is the name by which we know this dish by.

-SCG
miros1
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:25 pm
Quote:
What do they call that when made with beef? Swiss steak, salisbury steak....I don't know, it has a name for it normally. You could serve it over noodles then or rice if you prefer to stretch it out a bit.

The name escapes me too, but Swiss steak is fairly large pieces of meat with flour pounded into it which cooks into gravy, while Salsbury steak is basically hamburgers in gravy.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:47 am
I'm with SCG. My cousins were BIG hunters and my aunt used to make excellent BBQ venison...shredded. it was sooooooo good.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Re: For a side dish
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:55 am
SimCityGallery wrote:
You could make a traditional Polish side dish to go with if you wanted to. It's a cheap meal as most Polish traditionals are.

Take a head of lettuce and chop it up. Toss that in a pan with some pats of butter to fry. Take a few eggs probably about 3 for your averaged sized skillet. Scramble them and add some milk like you are going to make some scrambled eggs, a bit of flour to make like a batter that looks like pancake batter . Set aside till your cabbage is soft then drizzle the eggs in holes like to make dumplings then season with some salt & pepper. When the egg dumplings have cooked and look puffy like scrambled eggs, stir the whole mess up and ladle some on each plate. Sounds really odd but tastes really good. Dad called it "Hai-lu-ski" phoenetically. Since that is also the word for noodles, I think it refers more to any side dish but that is the name by which we know this dish by.

-SCG

This sounds good, but I didn't understand this part:
Quote:
...drizzle the eggs in holes like to make dumplings ...

miros1
Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:20 pm
I think she means put the eggs through a spaetzel maker? I guess you could use the big holes in a grater in a pinch.

I wonder how many different ethnicities we can touch on in this thread and the one about pierogis?

Ok
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:24 pm
Ok the egg dumpling mixture, Dad calls them ducklings trying to be funny. You just make like wells in the mixture with a spoon then pour the mixture into them. When they start to get fluffy then you stir them through so you don't have big dumplings in the dish but pieces of them scattered through out. Cabbage is a common ingredient in Polish cooking because it's cheap and is high in vitamin C. Carrots, potatoes and turnips are also common.

-SCG
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:05 pm
Those were the staples of the European diet during the Middle Ages: venison, eggs, cabbage, turnips, carrots, and potatoes. And barley. In central Europe back then, barley was "corn."

Well...
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:36 pm
They still eat like that in Poland. Rye or barley is also what you make your bread from. As a kid, I never tasted commericial white bread till I went to school...always rye, soda or potato. I didn't know what yellow mustard was because mustard is suppose to be brown. Saturday afternoon is when you bake your bread for the week. That's so it's fresh for Sunday dinner after mass, that's how the older generation does it. My mother and I bake bread twice a week so it's easier to judge what you need and it's fresher. I don't always make rye but sometimes make soda or potato bread for a change from Mom's Irish recipes.

Maybe I should learn to make my own threads instead of hijacking everyone else's?

-SCG
Venison ideas needed