Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:25 am
Only four people in the household? You must have caught them in a slack period! *8)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:10 am
The Timeline

I snapped that screen shot last night, on GD 132. The latest events of the story (Evangeline moves to college) took place on GD 130. But then, a lot of stuff happened on GD 130 because I was playing other households.

The Loot

I was thinking of their network of friends and family, rather than their wealth, as the most impressive thing about that image, but you do have a point!

At the moment they have $3,943,661 in the bank. The family fortune has been higher but they spent a lot on their tour through college.

A great deal of that money was earned from employment, but I think the majority of it came from Greg's early career as my viewpoint vagabond. He moved from house to house, even as a teenager, and each time the game gave him a pro-rata share of his previous home's bank account to add to the new family's coffers. (I have no good way to explain this phenomenon in the story; it's a fluke of the game.)

Most households (including Greg's parents) in Happy Valley start out with a hit on the motherlode because I think it's absurd to have adults start out living in a refrigerator box. After that, they earn what they need to.

Moving a character back and forth between two households can multiply wealth very quickly. That's something I've not done much since the advent of Merola's Mind Control Mirror but in the beginning it was the only way to make the character controllable.

The Franks family had more than $7,000,000 the last time I checked, and except for their starter boost they earned it all by having six employed sims in one house. Eight, if you count the teen years of Tommy Jr and Carl Jr.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:16 am
dmchess wrote:
Only four people in the household? You must have caught them in a slack period! *8)

Yup! And for a while, it was only two!

Well, two and a half. She was pregnant; but then, She is always pregnant. Her only use for tampons is wadding in Her .75 caliber blackpowder rifle.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:28 am
Greg wrote:
I was thinking of their network of friends and family, rather than their wealth, as the most impressive thing about that image

I imagine She would agree. *8)

Greg wrote:
The Franks family had more than $7,000,000 the last time I checked, and except for their starter boost they earned it all by having six employed sims in one house. Eight, if you count the teen years of Tommy Jr and Carl Jr.

Wow! Are they a really really old family? (Unless I've got the math wrong, they'd have had to be employed for like seven hundred days each to earn that much, assuming top salaries of around 10K/week...)

DC
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:32 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 155: Evangelical Dawn

Let's journey back to Manse Collegium. The next morning, Ezekiel woke up to the delightful surprise of finding a very warm and very cuddly Evangeline snuggled against him.

Ezekiel welcomes Evangeline to the Big U

To say that this made him very happy would be a tragic understatement. What happened next is quite predictable. Ezekiel and Evangeline shared an old-fashioned outlook on like, but not that old-fashioned. Considering the state she had left him in earlier that night, what happened next was quite predictable.

Not that old-fashioned

Now, that said, let's pull back the camera and give the kids some privacy while we look in on other events in and around Happy Valley.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:43 am
dmchess wrote:
Greg wrote:
I was thinking of their network of friends and family, rather than their wealth, as the most impressive thing about that image

I imagine She would agree. *8)

Indeed!

dmchess wrote:
Greg wrote:

Wow! Are they a really really old family? (Unless I've got the math wrong, they'd have had to be employed for like seven hundred days each to earn that much, assuming top salaries of around 10K/week...)

DC

Yes. I don't know how hold they really are, which is one of the reasons I started keeping careful track of time when I made the Bennett family.

When I first got the game I played the Frankses almost exclusively, in Strangetown. The first floor of that barn out behind the main house is filled with empty Elixir bottles. Trophies, y'know.

Tommy and Ophelia ran through most of the careers, gathering bonuses and chance cards along the way. They also earned quite a few simoleans selling paintings. Tommy's brothers and their wives have pretty much stuck to the same careers.

For a long while I was just trying to see how much money I could pile up in their bank account but I grew weary of that after a while.

Then I moved them to Happy Valley. They were the first family in town, and they brought their family fortune with them. That provided a lot of the background for the Tales of Happy Valley.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:14 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 156: Grampa Oatha

Ezekiel was telling the truth about his great-grandparents, the Cramers. The were in fact living at Manse Collegium and enrolled in Happy Valley University and, when asked, they were able to provide the youngsters with a great abundance of incredibly valuable good advice (most of it never even used).

If anyone in Happy Valley was more old-fashioned than Earnest Harriman, it would be Oatha Cramer. Of course, Oatha got to be old-fashioned the old-fashioned way: He was, indeed, very, very old.

But unlike whatever Earnest was thinking, Oatha was old-fashioned in his own way. He believed in honesty, integrity, self-reliance, and hard work.

Collegian Oatha Goes to Work

Oatha worked so hard that he kept his day even after he went to college! At least, he did until it started to interfere with this studies.

What Earnest's narrative fell short of mentioning was that Grandpa Oatha and Grandma Hazel had been among the first customers at Dr. Tolad's Rejuvenation Clinic and boasted an outward appearance of being just past their teen years.

The young-old couple, born in the 19th Century, were enjoying life to the fullest in the new-fangled 21st Century without compromising any of their core values. And among those values was that they did not interfere with other adults, young or old, as they made their own path through life.

At his age, Granpa Oatha was not particularly disturbed by wild parties or bevvies of coeds skinny-dipping in the pool. After all, in his long years he had seen it all and done worse! Nevertheless, he could vicariously enjoy the youngsters' fun and his deep appreciation of beauty had never faded, whether that beauty be expressed in outstanding architecture, fine machinery, or the delicate turn of a feminine ankle.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:01 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 157: Cally's Conundrum

People in Happy Valley often commented that Amanda was favored her mother to an uncanny degree, though Amanda tended to be even more girly than She. Amanda's younger sister, Cally, however, was more of a source of gossip.

While Amanda took after their mother's more feminine attributes, Cally was the tomboy who inherited Sheba's ability to be very direct and very independent. In high school she had shot down each of the boys in turn, and actually made it to college still wondering if she would ever have her First Kiss.

People began to speculate that perhaps Cally were interested in girls, btt they were quite wrong in such assumptions. Cally was extremely interested in boys, but she had never met a boy she was interested in!

That is, until the day after Evangeline moved into Manse Collegium, when Cally was home visiting with mom. There, on that day, she met Neil.

Cally meets Neil

Neil McLeod, to be precise.

Cally's problem (though she herself didn't think of it as a problem at all) was her big brothers, Alex and Barry. When she was a young girl she worshipped her big brothers and resolved not to waste her time on any boy who could not keep up with her as well as they could.

Alex was much favored as the family's eldest son, having grow up with all the attention of four parents and a host of college students as part of his daily life. Then, for his part, Barry tried to control his Gift but he could never fully stop being Barry. These fellows were more than a tough act to follow; they were an impossible act to follow.

That is, until Cally met Neil. Mom was busy when Cally arrived, and Neil had asked her to join him in a game of chess. He won handily. They played a second game. Neil won again; she resigned after the sixteenth move. Third game, same results.

After such sedentary pursuits they were both up for a turn on the obstacle course, where Neil ended up coaching Cally in how to improve her time.

She thought surely she could best him a few falls of kwai pang chu. He was, after all, still just a teen and shorter than she. She was not entirely accurate in her expectations on the mat, either, but she did have a lot of time to contemplate exactly how it was that she had ended up lying flat on her back, staring at the ceiling. Again.

Some time between the rubdown he gave her to soothe her aching muscles and moment that Neil commented that she was the only person besides her mom and dad who understood his jokes, Cally fell in love.

It might have been his obscure sense of humor.

At the same time, Neil, who really wasn't even thinking of looking for a girl to go steady with, returned Cally's affection and never once thought it incongruous that he might be attracted to an Older Woman. He was happy that he had finally found a girl who could keep up with him! And besides, she wasn't that much older than him!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:40 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 158: Rendezvous at Mom's Place

Soon Cally and Neil were dating. She would call from college to ask him to meet her at her parents' house and then fly the helicopter home after class just in time to greet him as he arrived after work.

Once they had seen Patton so many times that they had the dialog memorized and no longer needed the movie to reenact every scene, they took to just staying home and enjoying each other's company.

Cally and Neil at Mom's House

The love seat in the living room at The Houstonian got a lot of use during those days. They often started out there in the evening, and then moved to the array of desks where Cally would help Neil with his homework. Then, after he had helped her with her school work, they were back on the love seat making up for all the time Cally had lost during her high school years.

The boys at school ribbed Neil about his coed girlfriend, but mostly they developed a reputation for being a very sweet and (mostly) innocent couple. They were just two strange, nerdy kids who had finally found each other. Neil never found it necessary to either confirm or deny, or even comment on, what the other boys were speculating about.

Then, finally, Neil got his driver's license. He could drive over to the university to visit Cally on campus. Then things changed.

When Neil first saw Cally after a dip in the swimming pool, he really liked what he saw!

At Manse Collegium, Neil really liked what he saw!
That's Grandma Hazel at the piano and Dora playing chess.

Cally never mentioned that until that day she had always worn a very conservative one-piece swimsuit--the whole swimsuit. It got the reaction she was hoping for, and things proceeded from there.

If the other kids only knew...

Always before, when other other boys asked Neil about his coed lover, he would just smile and change the subject. This did not change, but it might be that his smile was a bit broader in the days after he got his drivers license.

About Sheba
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:50 am
um this is silly but I just found the download and I want her - I NEED her - in Sherwood - but what's her surname? :lol I am sure I should know but I can't find it anywhere....
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:30 am
Her maiden name is Lund (probably short for Lundstrom, but that's another old family story), which She changed to Bennett when She got married.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:33 am
Addendum: If you want the whole set, here's Greg's download.

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:55 am
Greg wrote:
Always before, when other other boys asked Neil about his coed lover, he would just smile and change the subject. This did not change, but it might be that his smile was a bit broader in the days after he got his drivers license.

That would make him (assuming that American laws apply in Happy Valley)... my age! Though, assuming once again that American laws apply, he technically wouldn't be able to, well, you know, for another two years.

Assuming UK laws apply, he'd be 17, and I wouldn't be so peeved because the Government lets us... you know... at 16. Not that I have, mind.

Or, US laws apply and he didn't take his driving test until 18.

So which is it?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:32 pm
Thanks!

Got him too though I am not sure where to fit him into my story yet.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:40 pm
Nihale199 wrote:
Greg wrote:

That would make him (assuming that American laws apply in Happy Valley)... my age! Though, assuming once again that American laws apply, he technically wouldn't be able to, well, you know, for another two years.

Assuming UK laws apply, he'd be 17, and I wouldn't be so peeved because the Government lets us... you know... at 16. Not that I have, mind.

Or, US laws apply and he didn't take his driving test until 18.

So which is it?

Both. Cally was robbing the cradle without regard to when someone else thinks it should be legal to wellyouknow*, and Neil didn't get his drivers license until he could afford his own car.

*Her mother certainly couldn't complain! Back in Chapter 95, we learned that She was wellyouknowing on the same night She became a teenager and hasn't managed to get control of her hormones ever since!

She continued the celebration of Her teen birthday in Her own way.

:story: Tales of Happy Valley