Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Re::story: Tales of Happy Valley
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:57 am
I'm wondering to myself here if Greg has perhaps read some Heinlein at some point? :smilehap:
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:50 pm
Lol, Greg collect SF books.

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:26 pm
Yup, for sure. She, at least, is very Heinleinian in Her outlook on life. In fact, both She and her basically clueless husband have maxed out their interest in skiffy. You can tell what flavors they read.

They are actually very difficult characters to write. I have to think quite a bit about how they will react to a given situation. (And they do have some situations!) I don't think fans will have much of a problem understanding them, but presenting them in terms that would be plausible to mundanes is an adventure in itself. I have no idea whether I have achieved any success in that goal, but so far nobody has complained that they aren't realistic.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:11 pm
Very writerly responsible of you! In terms of storytelling maturity, I'm still mostly letting the Sims themselves drive; the situations they come up with are probably somewhat less unexpected (with the occasional impressive exception!), but it's less work for me... :shades1:
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:53 pm
Thanks! Grin

As a matter of fact, this whole story is really headed somewhere. After more than 100 entries we still haven't arrived at the main plot I had in mind.

I've found that plot development in this genre is very slow and of course it's quite time-consuming to play the game and shoot the illustrations. Then there's my compulsion to keep posting frequent additions to the story.

Having the sims go haring off on adventures of their own with no regard to my plot line adds an additional dimension, but it's lots of fun, too! I'm tempted to include some of my sims' bawdier adventures, but I can't do that and keep a PG rating for the Hullabaloo. Perhaps if I ever can get some time from my day job I'll set up a new adults-only section at The Pearl or The Sims 2 at SimsHost.

On the other hand, I think the slice-of-life sims adventures are lots of fun, too, even if they're just normal mundane lives. I like to see what's happening in every body else's games! Grin

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:04 pm
Greg wrote:
I'm tempted to include some of my sims' bawdier adventures, but I can't do that and keep a PG rating for the Hullabaloo.

Oh, is that why we have the censorsnakes? They're very nice, by the way.

Greg wrote:
On the other hand, I think the slice-of-life sims adventures are lots of fun, too, even if they're just normal mundane lives. I like to see what's happening in every body else's games! Grin

I have a long Kaylynn's Story entry almost ready to post. (It loads like 1.5MB of images in its present form; I dunno if that's too much...) I like mundane stories also. Especially correctly spelled ones. :spinspin:
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:20 pm
Yup. We want to keep the Hullabaloo PG or even G rated. In fact, all of SimsHost is that way except for the stuff that's safely ensconced behind the adults-only door dragons. I think we've got it set up so that while it's possible for a kid to lie about his age, he'd have to be a very sophisticated kid. Beyond that, all we can do is hope that parents take responsibility for what their young children are doing on the web.

The censor snakes are time-consuming, but they're lots of fun. Grin

If you put images on your site, then you're burning your bandwidth to deliver them, so how much space to allocate to images is entirely up to you. smile

On the other hand, 1.5 MB would be a nit on our server, and your server seems to be very lively, so it's probably not a big deal in any case. FWIW, this evening I uploaded another 6 MB of images for the stories I'm working on. Each image is about 60 K; you can do the arithmetic from there.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:21 am
I keep mine on photobucket Grin But then I haven't been near as ambitious (or inspired) as you all...stories definitely play out in my neighborhood, but most of the time I'm too wrapped up in it to remember to take pictures!

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:30 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Appendix: Greg Goes Adventuring

In Nihale's thread in My Sim - Myself we were talking about a download for Gregsim, so here he is!

Greg
Click on the image to download. 565 KB character file.
I think he's wearing a custom outfit. Might have a custom swimsuit, too. And probably the eyes as well.
See the chapter about Sheba Steps Out for notes about what to do with this file. The file goes into your SavedSims folder. Just put the file into SavedSims, start your game, create a character based on this one.
(This is an old screen shot. His clothing might be a bit different because I had to re-outfit him after he returned from college.)

I don't have my game with me at the moment, so I can't tell you his exact personality. He's very much like She. I think he's a bit more outgoing and has an Active = 9 or 10. (Unlike the real-life version, Gregsim need not suffer the trevails of aging. Even at the ripe old age of 117, he still spends his weekends climbing mountains. He still has hair, too; the fink.)

Added: Here's a more recent picture taken three meat-years later.

Gregsim in His Natural Habitat
Two wives, one girlfriend, big smile. Yup; that's him.

Last edited by Greg on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:37 am; edited 3 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:34 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 103: Move to the Manse

A brief synopsis of the plot so far: In Chapter 102, Frieda's son Gilbert had just been born, an event which served to bring the family even more closely together. Frieda and She decided that Manse Orleans just wasn't big enough for the growing family.

She already had The Houstonian under construction with that very thought in mind.

Alexander and Amanda (children of Greg and She) were school children. The infamous superbaby Barry was a toddler and had learned all his important toddler skills.

Since there was no way to split the family without separating a child from his father, they all decided to move to The Houstonian until Gilbert is older. Then Giles and Frieda will move back to Manse Orleans.

And so, that's what they did!

The Bennetts Arrive at The Houstonian
Left to right: Giles Edward, Amanda, Greg, Alexander, Frieda (holding Gilbert), She (holding Barry)

On GD 88, all eight of them moved from Manse Orleans to The Houstonian.

She and Barry at The Houstonian

'I recognize this place, mom! It's the house that you were designing while we were still living on campus!'

'The very same! What do you think?'

'It's great! Lots of places to fly!'

'Only when nobody is watching, mind you! Don't forget!'

'I'll remember! Hey, I'm hungry! Can I have Smart Milk for lunch?'

'Not that you need it, but for you, my child, I have an unlimited supply of Smart Milk! Hey! Not out here! Let's get inside first!'

She heard a mental chuckle from Her husband. 'You're spoiling him, You know!'

'Like I spoil you?' She thought back, punctuating the remark with a mental smirk.

'Touché! Go feed your baby, wench!'

She winked at him. 'Yes, massuh!'

'Now behave yourself, or daddy will spank!'

As She hurried into the house, She paused on the front stairs to look at him over her shoulder, fluttered Her eyelashes and rolled Her hip. 'Promises! Promises!'

Before he could respond, She scrambled through the door.

Astute readers may recall that at his time, Greg was unable to make phone calls or go to work. Moving to The Houstonian solved the problem with going to work, but it did not solve the telephone problem. Neither did cloning Giles's BHAV functions onto Greg. However, deleting "unknown" sims from his acquaintances and memories did solve it!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:54 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 104: Normalcy, Of a Sort

Alexander and Amanda go to school.

At The Houstonian, life retreated for a while to a state almost resembling normalcy, at least as this family defined the term. Alexander and Amanda enjoyed being back in school while the moms took care of the babies at home.

The Nursery at The Houstonian
Frieda with Gilbert (and the very elusive censorius rectangulus phenomenon). She with Barry.

Lucy found her blue swimsuit, and often friends like Conrad and Baby Crawford would stop by to visit.

The Crawfords visited often.

Giles Edward with Barry

Barry even learned that his heroic Uncle Giles could be almost as much fun as flying, and never once succombed to the temptation to surprise his uncle by flying out of his hands or hovering when Giles tossed him into the air.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:25 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 105: Sunrise, Sunset...

All too soon, on GD89, the day came when the children grew. It seemed like half the town turned out for the Big Birthday Party, but in fact it was just grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, and a few close friends. First Alexander grew up to become a teen...

Alexander's Teen Birthday

...and then his twin sister Amanda immediately after.

Amanda's Teenage Birthday
Left to right: Uncle Jay, Lucy, Aunt Frieda, Aunt Jana, Meg Bender (friend of Alex and Mandy), Grandpa Melvin, Madame Arabella Skye, Grandpa Ralph, Dad, Baby Crawford, Aunt Beryl, Mom, Uncle Giles, Grandma Marie, Uncle Roger, Amanda, Alexander (in the red shirt, as a teen), Uncle Ralphie, Conrad Crawford, and Grandma Lois. Aunt Joyce--seen in the image above in the blue dress--is off screen.

That same day, Barry grew up to childhood.

Barry's Child Birthday, assisted by Grandma Marie

Then, after Grandma Marie did the honors for Barry's birthday, it was Grandpa Ralph's turn to help Gilbert transition to toddlerhood.

Gilbert's toddler birthday, assisted by Grandpa Ralph

As parties go, the Quadruple Birthday was quite a success! The whole family grew closer, freshened old friendships, and found new ones.

Uncle Jay became friends with the Crawfords during the party
That's Baby Crawford in the red blouse, with Alex behind her. Uncle Roger the Cop. Uncle Jay in scrubs. Aunt Jana on the ivories. Conrad Crawford and Uncle Giles slugging each other.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:34 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 106: Mama's Girl

As a teen, Amanda bore a striking resemblance to her Aunt Jana

When she first became a teenager, Amanda strongly favored her Aunt Jana. Only her blue eyes gave away the fact that she was a daughter of Sheba. However, Mandy really wanted to look like her her mom. So after a brief consultation with The Expert on the subject of All Things Blonde...

"Do I have to be a brunette, mom?"

... Amanda changed her style.

Amanda's New Look

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:46 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 107: Firestarter

Mandy was very fond of her Aunt Beryl, uncle Ralphie's wife. She had always wondered why people called her Firestarter. Now, empowered with teenage hormones and understanding, she finally got it.

Beryl
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Reserved and innocent though she may be, nobody else in Happy Valley could match Aunt Beryl's look of a smouldering inferno. Everywhere she went, she left a trail of cold showers in her wake.

Meanwhile, Uncle Giles and Conrad Crawford are still beating on each other. Perhaps this is how they cope with having Beryl around.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:10 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 108: More Domesticity

Greg was finally able to go to work.

While the kids were back in school, Greg got back to having fun playing police detective.

Meanwhile, the moms invested their time in raising the youngsters.

She and Gilbert

Gilbert wanted to be just like heroic Uncle Giles, so his mother indulged him with camo jammies.

Greg and Gilbert

And we should not be surprised to learn that Gilbert had learned a few tricks from his brother Barry!

Gilbert reconnoiters

'You only think we're not paying attention when we're infants!'

:story: Tales of Happy Valley