Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Re::story: Tales of Happy Valley
Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:10 pm
This is amazing!
Greg you crack me up!! :rotflmao:
:hearts:

nanci2121
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:27 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 98: Oogenesis of a Statesman

When last we checked in on baby Barry, he was just nodding off for his first night as a toddler.

The next morning found him sitting on the floor with his dad, succombing to the pressure to learn to speak the local language while his mother was busily trouncing Giles Edward and Frieda in the family kicky bag tournament. They hadn't even disposed of his birthday cake yet, so there it sat, complete with Barry's footprint.

Barry learns to talk
Barry's First Debate
For a good time, move your mouse over the picture and back out.
Don't bother to click on the picture.

'I really don't see the point of that high chair, dad,' Barry thought.

"I'll explain it if you can say it out loud!" Greg said.

Barry thought about this for a moment and gave it a shot. "Hysherdah!"

'Rats! It sounds right in my head! Why didn't it come out right?'

"You need to train the neural pathways to manipulate your breathing and your vocal chords," Greg said. "Now, try again. High chair. Daddy."

'This is hard! I'm not sure it's worth the effort!'

"How are you going to get into world domination if you give up on trying to dominate your own vocal chords?"

'I guess you do have a point there.' "High chair!"

"Hooray! I think you've got it!"

"Daddy!" Barry said.

"Excellent! Try another one!"

With a merry giggle, Barry said, "Hot fudge sundae!"

"That's fantastic! I was unaware that you even knew that phrase!"

'I don't. I was trying for "cereal." Darn.'

"Well, at least you got a food item!"

'What's hot fudge sundae?'

"It's ice cream covered by warm chocolate fudge."

'Oh. Mom says that ice cream isn't a food and therefore defies categorization among the food groups. It's medicine.'

"Now that is a good point! You should listen to your mother! You'll learn a lot!"

Right then, She messed up one of her best kicky bag tricks.

'Should I try to say what She just said?' Barry asked.

"Um, well, on second thought," Greg said, "for now at least, just listen to your father."

Last edited by Greg on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:56 am
:yahoo: That's really neat!

nanci2121
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:21 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Link to Chapter 99: Shebacize!

Shebacize, for The Sims 2

Chapter 99 has a download for this outfit, so it has its own thread. Click on the image or the text link to go there.

That thread will open in this window. Not to worry, I'll provide a link back to here, too.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:33 pm
Nancy wrote:
:yahoo: That's really neat!

I was debating with myself about which of those two images to use to illustrate the tale, so I kept flipping back and forth between them. That's when I noticed that they were close enough to be an animation sequence. Then, with the aid of a sneaky little Javascript and even sneakier admin tools, I decided to use both!
Grin

Veterans of Moon Sims have already seen this, but others might be amused to learn that, to the best of my knowledge, this walk around the moon base is the first appearance of a mouseover image-swapping script on the web! That one turned out so nicely that it even appeared on the CBS Evening News!

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:48 pm
Well, it's really neat and I love it! :winky:

Quote:
Veterans of Moon Sims have already seen this, but others might be amused to learn that, to the best of my knowledge, this walk around the moon base is the first appearance of a mouseover image-swapping script on the web! That one turned out so nicely that it even appeared on the CBS Evening News!

Yes, I had seen it, but didn't realize the history behind it! That's really pretty amazing!

nanci2121
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:19 pm
I think they originally invented the mouseover feature in HTML just to do image-swapping in navigation menus. I was looking at the shiny new spec and noticed that the target of the image that was being swapped didn't have to be the same image you were mousing over, and that's what lead to the idea for the walk around the moon base.

So I asked the artist, Vik Olliver, to shoot the moon base from 16 different angles. (Vik's 3D renderings were really hot stuff ten years ago. Each frame took a whole day!)

I used that same trick in Carla's Weird Floors Room on the Moon Sims site.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:57 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 100: Alcedonia Domesticus

The next morning, events at Manse Orleans settled into almost-normal dometic tranquility. Except, of course, that Barry was up to his old tricks again.

Crib bars do not a prison make, especially when you're Barry!

'"Stone walls do not a prison make,"' Barry quoted in his mind. '"Nor iron bars a cage, Minds innocent and quiet take That for an hermitage." Richard Lovelace might have wanted to stay in prison and send his mind off on a hermitage, but I am a baby in need of a potty!'

'Hey, I wonder if I can make these spatulate appendages work!'

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! But alas, nothing accomplished, either.

'Oops! That didn't work! I guess I'll have to wait for some dual training on the use of these foot things. So, next priority: Crawl to potty.'

(We briefly pan to the candles to give the baby some privacy.)

'There! Now that that's taken care of, next mission: Find someone to con some food out of, and here comes Aunt Frieda right on time!'

Frieda is near term now. It could happen any moment!

Frieda was moving carefully this morning. Her baby was already making it quite clear that he had had enough of this business of gestation and was eager to greet the world. Just moments after she gave a bottle to Barry, it happened!

'Mom! What did I do? Why is Aunt Frieda making those awful noises?'

'It's not you dear. Aunt Frieda is having her baby!'

'Oh. OK. I'll just have my bottle then.'

Last edited by Greg on Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:18 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 101: Gilbert

In contrast to Barry's blasť acceptance of the whole thing, the rest of the family came scrambling down the stairs, filled with excitement about the impending birth.

It's a boy!

And so, after waiting in a Maxian Time Warp for nearly a hundred days, Frieda's firstborn took his first breath!

Gathering to see the new baby

"What a handsome lad!" Giles said. "Good set of lungs, too!"

"Yippee! Another baby!" She said. "How many is that now, honey? An even dozen?"

"Only eleven, unless I've misplaced one along the way," Greg said. "And I don't think I have! What are you going to name him, Frieda?"

His Father's Eyes

"Well, he has your eyes," Frieda said. "I was thinking maybe something that starts with G because that's your initial and also his step-father's."

"How about Gilbert?" Giles said. "That's my uncle's name, back in Edinborough. He's rich, so it wouldn't hurt to give him a namesake over here in the colonies!"

"An excellent name!" Greg said.

"Gilbert it is, then," Frieda said. "Welcome to the world, Gilbert Bennett! And what a world awaits you! You have two fathers and two mothers!"

"Awww, it's sweet of you to stay that, Frieda," She said.

"I'm happy to share my baby with my sister-in-love! Here, get to know your new son, She. You can feed him his first bottle!"

She feeds her new step-son

"He was really hungry!" She said. "I guess you've been waiting a long time for this bottle, little guy!"

Barry intruded on Her thoughts. 'Toljaso! I tolja! His name is Gilbert!'*

'I never should have doubted you, my son,' She thought back. 'Now mind your elocution. "I told you so."'

'Oh. OK. I told you so, mom!'

'Now Barry, did you have a hand in this?'

'Nope. It was obvious. Uncle Giles and Aunt Frieda's thoughts leak all the time. Uncle Giles thinks about his Uncle Gilbert every day, and Aunt Frieda was trying to think of names that start with G, the same as both of her husbands.'

'Ahem! Your father, and Gilbert's, is My husband. He's Aunt Frieda's... um...'

'Lover?'

'He was her lover. Now he's been promoted to being her friend. Distant cousin-in-law, too.'

'Is that better than being a lover?'

'Lovers are easy to find, Barry. A true friend is very rare.'

'Oh. OK. Will Gilbert be my friend?'

'I'm sure of it.'

Barry paused with the square block in his hand, staring at the wall in a pensive moment. 'Me, too,' he thought.

*The astute reader will recall that Barry predicted Gilbert's name back in Chapter 76.

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:00 pm
Frieda looks very happy! :heart:

Gilbert is a cutie! :baby:

nanci2121
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:32 pm
Yup. All sim babies are pretty cute, but Gilbert turned out to be really special. He spent that century of gestation developing personality points and turned out with the full boatload of 35 at birth. But hey, what can we expect for Barry's baby brother?

I think those two shots of Freida are among the best sim baby pictures I've done yet, at least as far as unedited snapshots are concerned. Her expression and pose suggests the action.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:41 pm
I suspect Barry of tinkering...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:37 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 102: We Need Elbow Room!

"Do you want your baby back now, Frieda?" She asked.

Frieda hands Gilbert to his father

"Yes! But I think his father seems eager say hello to him."

"I sure am!" Greg said. "I think this is the part where I acknowledge having had a hand in this project."

Frieda snickered. "If it had been your hand," she said, "we wouldn't be in this predicament!"

"And we wouldn't have this wonderful baby!" She added.

"What predicament?" Giles asked. "Terrific kids. Wonderful family. Beautiful home, though admittedly getting a bit cramped for space."*

Greg says hello to Gilbert

"And what do you think, my son?" Greg said. "Is it too cramped for you? On your scale, I suspect not!"

"Frieda is right," She said. "It works for now, but Manse Orleans is just too small to accommodate two families. You know how fast these adorable little things grow up. They will all be wanting more space. Oh honey, be careful! I just fed him!"

"Oops! Right! Sorry, Gilbert. We'll play later, after you've had a chance to digest Mama Sheba's Special Blend."

"Actually, I think that was Frieda's."

"Yup," Frieda agreed. "We're stockpiling Sheba's until he's a toddler."

"It's my turn!" Giles said. "I want to meet my stepson, too!"

"OK, Giles, go long and I'll lob--"

"Greg! Don't you dare!" She said. "That's not Barry!"

"Just joking, m'dear," Greg said. "Here you go, Giles."

Giles cuddles his stepson Gilbert, with musical accompaniment provided by our maid, Lucy
Giles didn't grow an extra hand. That's Greg in the background, groovin' to the music.

"What's that about Barry?" Giles asked.

"Oops," She said. "Never mind. I was just feeling panicky. Chalk it up to being pregnant."

"I know you were thinking of moving really soon, She," Frieda said, "but how are we going to break these guys up?"

"Simple," She said. "You'll move with us. Then, when Gilbert is old enough, you can move back to Manse Orleans. Call it a wedding president, or a baby shower gift, or something."

"But I was thinking that Giles might want a son of his own--"

"Or a daughter," Giles said. "But this little guy is son enough for me right now! I can wait if you can!"

"Alex and Mandy will be off to college sooner than you think," She said. "Then we'll both have room for more babies even while Gilbert is growing up!"

"Wow! Yes, that will suit. You have it all worked out!" Frieda said.

"She always does!" Greg said.

"Hey, can I be your maid at the new place?" Lucy asked.

"Of course," She said. "And Lucy... bring your swimsuit."

Lucy looked puzzled, but agreeable. "Huh? Well sure! Speaking of my swimsuit, have you run across my blue suit? I seem to have lost the top to my pink one."

"Back at Manse Collegium. My dresser. Bottom drawer on the right. Behind the winter blankets that we never use. You'll find the top to your pink suit there, too, if you must."

"Oh, I don't need it en famille, but it comes in handy once in a while! I'll look for when I'm back to campus. Golly, it sounds almost as if you hid it on purpose."

She looked at Greg through Her eyelashes and grinned beneath bobbing eyebrows. "I told you that I am manipulative!"

Jump to Chapter 103
This link skips past the discussion and will open in this window.

*For those who lost track: The current population of Manse Orleans includes Greg, Sheba, Alexander, Amanda, Barry, Giles, Frieda, and Gilbert. That's the maximum occupancy for a sim house; no more babies can be born until someone moves out, and She is already pregnant!

Last edited by Greg on Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:37 pm; edited 4 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:49 pm
miros1 wrote:

What? You don't trust this innocent face?

Barry, Reprise

'Enjoy it while you can, criminal masterminds! You haven't met Captain Barry yet! Now that I know what the red tub is for, nothing can stop me! Well, except maybe that daddy still hasn't taught me to walk--'

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:24 am
Greg wrote:
miros1 wrote:

What? You don't trust this innocent face?

<snip>

'Enjoy it while you can, criminal masterminds! You haven't met Captain Barry yet! Now that I know what the red tub is for, nothing can stop me! Well, except maybe that daddy still hasn't taught me to walk--'

About as far as I can throw him. Which is a considerable distance if he "helps"...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
:story: Tales of Happy Valley