Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Re::story: Tales of Happy Valley
Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:21 pm
I have spent the last couple of days (work days), during lunch, catching up on Happy Valley. I must say that it has inspired me to actually play the game again.

Can't wait to read more, Greg! Your sims make for fantastic stories!

Thanks for sharing!! :happyhappy:

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:04 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 88: Steamy Showers

Ring!

"Hi, She! It's Ophelia!"

The telephone always rings at the most inconvenient time.

"Hi Ophelia! Long time! We're back from college now, and Greg finally got into police work! What have you guys been up to?"

"That's great! Tommy got a job at the police department, too! He's working the desk at the police station."

"Tommy got a job?"

"Boys will be boys! Those two have always wanted to play cops and robbers! But hey, guess what?"

"What?"

"I'm pregnant!"

"Yippee! You waited a long time for this!"

"I sure did! But now that Tommy Jr is in college and Tommy's brothers have their own households, I have room for lots of little bundles of joy!"

"Yeah, I saw the new houses. The old ranch is growing!"

"Hey, want to come over for breakfast before the guys have to go to work? I'll make pancakes!"

"We wouldn't miss it for the world! Give us just a minute. Hizzoner the Detective is in the shower and I was just about to jump in there with him-- Hmmm... better give us about a half hour."

Ophelia giggled. "OK! Have fun! We'll see you here!"

Last edited by Greg on Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:26 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 89: Pancakes and Power Politics

Breakfast at the Franks Ranch

It just wouldn't be a proper breakfast at Ophelia's if their hostess did not greet them in her bikini, dripping wet from the pool. Greg was pretty sure that Ophelia owned other clothing; he just couldn't recall ever having seen her wearing anything else.

Now, no one who has ever tasted Ophelia's very special wheat germ and oat bran pancakes would ever miss a chance to enjoy them again, even if it means hurrying things a bit in order to get there in time for breakfast. Ophelia serves this heavenly concoction with her extremely flavorful aged butter from their own farm and syrup rendered from the sap of their own maple grove. Add a rasher of Ophelia's own home-cured hickory-smoked bacon and a huge cup of pure Columbian coffee, and you are in for a gastronomical delight that has no parallel outside of the Franks Ranch.

That would be reason enough for these four friends to meet for breakfast. However, if the denizens of Happy Valley knew just how much more was at stake any time these four got together, they might think twice about who was really governing the town.

"This is wonderful, Ophelia!" She said. She inhaled deeply, savoring the aroma of breakfast wafting through the kitchen at Franks Ranch. "You should open a restaurant!"

Ophelia chuckled. "I wouldn't want to turn the ranch into a tourist trap, but it might be fun to provide the materials and recipes for someone else who wants to open a little breakfast club downtown!"

"Good idea!" Greg said. "I'll have the bank float the capital. We can start small with just breakfast and lunch and then see if we can grow the thing into a swanky bistro for the dinner-and-show crowd. Give the kids something to do besides hang out at the pool. Now all we need is a victim to run the place. Which of the kids is feeling entrepreneurial these days?"

"Neither of ours," Ophelia said. "Little Tommy is all geared up to take on the family's enterprises and Carl junior has his heart set on the military."

"Ross Addison," She said. "Brenda's boyfriend. He's majoring in business at the college, but doesn't have a clue about what business he might want to get into. Brenda would enjoy having her own restaurant. They both love to cook, quite the gourmets in fact."

"That will work!" Ophelia said. "Ross just decided to get into the restaurant business. He just doesn't know it yet."

"He's a bright kid," Tommy said. "My brother Carl is getting into the culinary trade. So as soon as Ross graduates, he will find an eager and experienced business partner to co-sign the bank loan. Carl's wife Donna plays bridge with Brenda, so we won't even have to force the connection. I'll run up a business plan and show it to Carl. That will get things rolling."

"Marketing is the key to a successful restaurant," She said. "To go big, they'll have to reach out to the neighboring communities. I'll have Gloria and Della lay out a marketing plan, and see that they even get college credit for it."

"OK! That's settled!" Ophelia said. "Now, what about Meadow? I'm worried about her. Didn't she have a baby right after she moved to college?"

"Twins, in fact," She said. "Arthur and Arlene. Adorable little babies. They look just like their father!" She gave her husband a sly wink. Ophelia raised an eyebrow and grinned. Tommy chuckled.

"I was thinking that we might bring them into our house after Meadow graduates," She continued, "but she has taken up with a fellow named Cornelius Tellerman. Military man. He seems like a nice guy, but I don't know him very well."

"No worries about Cornelius," Greg said. "Meadow has learned the hard way to set a very high standard!"

"Pish and tush," She said. "She had a standard of comparison that no mere mortal could match!"

Greg blushed. "I appreciate your confidence in me, m'dear."

"So this Cornelius fellow must be something really special."

"By all reports, he is," Greg said. "I'll ask Giles to check to see whether he's due for a promotion. That would be a nice wedding present for them. Other than that, I think we should stay out their way."

"No worries about Meadow, then," Tommy said. "I have a new one for the agenda. Junior tells me there are some new kids on campus that we should pay attention to. They call them the Aardvarkians--"

Last edited by Greg on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:38 pm; edited 3 times in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:17 pm
woohoo! bring on the aardvarkians!!!!!!!!!!

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:49 pm
Zenmistress wrote:
I have spent the last couple of days (work days), during lunch, catching up on Happy Valley. I must say that it has inspired me to actually play the game again.

Can't wait to read more, Greg! Your sims make for fantastic stories!

Thanks for sharing!!

I'm glad you're enjoying the story! Grin Such encouragement goes a long way!

Liss wrote:
woohoo! bring on the aardvarkians!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed! We'll get to the adventures of the Aardvarkians and Power Brokers directly, but first, She was having some more fun (at the expense of You Know Who) while they were visiting Ophelia Franks! :grin:

This is called a suspenseful pause in the story. What's really happening is that the author is stalling for time while he, having written his characters into a riot, must now decide whether to get them out of it or to write the riot. The notion of the well-plotted story is a myth. Invariably, the characters write their own story and the author has little control over it. Go ahead. Trying writing a story. You'll see what I mean. All writers are crazy; they have strange, uncontrollable people living in their heads.

Speaking of stories, I thought this story by Regikko on the EA Sims Exchange was a total riot! Reg is a true master of the art form! The tale will be more intelligible if you read the thread at JM Pescado's More Awesome Than You about Strong Bad's Email Challenge. Imagine, if you will, a sims home with No Walls and No Toilet! I tried the Email Challenge in Bonnyview Shores and failed too miserably to even tell about it.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:01 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 90: The Case of the Inobservant Hero

He's Totally Oblivious

"What?" She says. "Just a second, Ophelia. I have to talk to the audience."

"Of course Ophelia has other clothes! She has lots of them! See? She put on her favorite pirate outfit just to prove the point!"

"Does he notice? Nope! Totally oblivious! He's so engrossed in his piano playing--encourage him, Lucy; it keeps him out of mischief, and besides, Moonlight Sonata is one of my favorites--that he has completely lost track of the fact that there are three beautiful women in the room with him!"

"Why is that, you wonder? How could Mr. Testosterone slip into this musical stupor while surrounded by us walking wet dreams? The answer is simple enough! He's totally spoiled. He doesn't notice us because we are fully clothed!"

"You've probably noticed that Ophelia is slowly undoing one button at a time to test his attention threshold; but to demonstrate the point more quickly, watch this!"

"Hey Lucy! How about changing into your swimsuit?"

"Sure thing, She! Are we having a pool party?"

"Not just yet, Lucy. I just want to prove something."

"Like a moth to a flame..."

"See what I mean? There he goes, like a moth to a flame! All it takes is one topless co-ed on his radar and all thoughts of Beethoven slip quietly from his head!"

"I think it's cute that he pretends not to be looking. In fact, I'm not even sure that he is aware of it!"

"Huh? Allow it? Honey, I encourage it! That's one important thing I learned from my Aunt Winona! Let him have his fun now! There will be lots more fun for me when I get him home tonight!"

Recharging Our Hero

"That's it, Ophelia! It's all in the wrist! Hey, if he goes back to the piano, try another button! I want him fully charged up for what I have planned for tonight!"

"I'll admit I get quite a kick out of helping charge up your husband, She," Ophelia said. " In fact, I've enjoyed this sport ever since he was a teenager and you were just a toddler!"

"To the delight of just about every teenage girl in town!"

"What do you mean, just about? Did he miss one? A lot of fathers breathed a sigh of relief the day you grew up and took him out circulation!"

"I'd consider that my greatest service to humanity," She said, "but the fact is that I'm really just plain greedy!"

"That's your privilege! Say, any time we're not available, take him down to the campus. From what Tommy tells me, some of those Aardvarkians have quite an interesting fashion sense!"

"Aw darn, I knew we should have gotten out more while we were on campus!"

"Still, you had Gloria around."

"And Della."

"And Katelynn. And Lucy. Always Lucy."

"And Penelope! You must have had lots of fun while you were in college!"

"Oh, I did! Hoo-waa! Rejuve is good!"

Last edited by Greg on Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:28 pm
Greg wrote:

Speaking of stories, I thought this story by Regikko on the EA Sims Exchange was a total riot!

hehehe...I've been following that. I lurk a lot but you have probably seen me over there Grin my *second* favorite message board. wink

As an aside Greg, I would love it if you would clone She (with sim surgery) and sent me the sim. She's gorgeous!

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:11 am
Sure, I'd be happy to clone her. Erm... how do I do that? Grin

Last edited by Greg on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:43 pm
Sim PE, open neighborhood, sim surgery, find sim, click use (top window), then click export. It will put a sim in your saved sims folder named like, N004_blahblahblah . THESE CLONED SIMS WILL MAKE BODYSHOP CRASH. Not exactly crash, but it won't open if there are sims like this in the folder. (If you become addicted to cloning characters LOL) All you have to do is take the cloned sims out of your saved sims folder when you want to use bodyshop, and put them back in when you are done. The sims will show up in CAS in the game.

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:57 pm
Oh neat! Gotta try it!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:20 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Appendix: Sheba Steps Out

Sheba in Her Living Room at The Houstonian
SimsHost subscribers can click on the image to download the character. About 217 K.
I think if you unzip the file sheba.zip and save the file N0009_User00199.package in your SavedSims folder, She will show up in the Create-a-Sim screen in your game.
Warning: Do not leave this file in your SavedSims folder when you start Body Shop; it will cause Body Shop to crash.
Warning: This is my first shot at this whole thing so you might want to wait to download her until someone (hint: Liss) confirms that it works! In my game, She is wearing a dress right off the rack from Chez Maxis, but all her other clothing, makeup, and even her skin tone are all custom. I don't know how much of this, if any, will survive in the character file. I do know that her personality does not survive the cloning process.
Addendum: Yup! It works! So if you want Her in your game, go for it!

"Now, be nice to me," She says. "I have quite a reputation to uphold here! I am a very self-determined woman. I know what I want and I always get it!"

"If you want to duplicate me in the last detail, you'll need some statistics: My Zodiac sign is Gemini, but don't let that fool you! Neatness: 8. Outgoing: 5. Active: 7. Playful: 5. Nice: 8."

"I am very interested in almost everything and an excellent conversationalist. I'm at level 7, 8, or 9 in all subjects except two. I could care less about Paranormal stuff (make it a 1 at most) and I'm a serious science fiction junkie (make it a 10)."

"I'm also a very well-rounded personality with no neuroses, so if you make me anything other than a Family sim, I'll haunt your dreams with guilt!"

"Now, as for skill levels, I'm doing pretty well, at least as of GD 118, which is where we are today. (The story in Tales of Happy Valley is quite a bit behind.) Cooking: 9. Mechanical:8. Charisma: 9. Body: 9. Logic: 7. (Hey! I rely on intuition!) Creativity: 10. Cleaning: 9. (I wouldn't want to put our maid out of work after all!)"

"I've sastified my Lifetime Want. My relationship with husband is 100/100 and never falls below 98. I love all my children, and that includes all his children that aren't genetically related to me. I never allow my relationship with any of my kids to fall below 90, ever!"

"And just in case you're wondering: Despite the popular styles around here, I haven't run around topless since I was a teenager and I wouldn't be caught dead in a see-through blouse! Well, not outside the bedroom anyhow. Except maybe for that time on the roof, but nobody but him was around to see. Well, yeah, there was the patio. And then one day in the helicopter. Um, make that twice; or--no, the third time doesn't count. I don't think. Hmm... oh, never mind! Just keep in mind that I dress conservatively in public and let others put on the show. Well, except maybe at swimming pool. Ya gotta flaunt it somewhere, y'know!"

"Oh, excuse me now. My phone is ringing!"

Liss, look in that same folder on your site.

Last edited by Greg on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:24 pm; edited 6 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:58 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 91: A Voice from the Past

Ring!

She gets a phone call

"Hello?"

"Monica! Wow! It's been so long! When did I last see you?"

"Yeah, it must have been my eighth birthday party!"

"We're doing great! Hey, I ran into Janet Allardice at the college, and she said she's engaged to your Graham now!"

"Yes, they're adorable couple. I'm sure they'll be happy together. Who was the guy with Shirley?"

"Cleve? So they're engaged, too! Quite a difference from their career-gal mom, huh? So, how have you been?"

"Stuck in a Maxian time warp all this time? Well hey! It's good that you're back on the job again!"

"Oh?"

"No! You're kidding!"

"What? Oh, no, don't worry! I think it's wonderful!"

"That's OK. No, I think you should tell him yourself."

"Yes, really. Tell you what--why don't we stop by for lunch today? I'll bring the potato salad."

"OK then, it's a date!"

A soon as She hung up the phone, She felt an attack of uncontrollable giggles coming on. She clamped Her hand over Her mouth and waited for the feeling to subside. Then, with as straight a face and as steady a voice as She could muster, She called down the hall. "Honey, I'm going to call the babysitter! We have a lunch date with Monica!"

He called back from the nursery. "Monica? You can't mean Monica Backlace! Graham and Shirley's mom? We haven't heard from her in ages!"

"Yup! That's the Monica!"

Last edited by Greg on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:26 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 92: Monica

As they arrived at the home of Monica Backlace, he said, "Well, this should be a treat. I wonder how Monica is doing. I don't recall hearing from her since you were a little girl!"

"She's been stuck in a Maxian time warp all this time. I think you'll be interested to hear about it!"

A few minutes later, they were inside the Backlace residence. Monica lives there alone now that her two children are in college.

Monica warms to her subject

"Well you see," Monica said, "as soon as the kids left for college I was frozen in this time warp, and it only thawed out just last night. So I haven't been able to keep up with events in town much. And so I called around to see how everyone was doing and heard you were married and had kids and had even graduated from college and everything! And, well-- darn it, She, I can't do this while I'm looking at you! Get around behind me!"

"That's better. Now, where was I? Oh, right. Um-- do you remember the night before the kids went to college? That was back when you had just been elected mayor and I was new in town and I figured that it couldn't hurt to know the mayor and so then we talked and then things kinda got out of hand--"

Some memories are more persistent than others

"Of course I remember!" Greg said. "But, well, it doesn't seem like something to reminisce about while I'm looking my wife in the eye. Um, no matter how hard She's trying to control her giggles! You're up to something, She! I can always tell!"

"Well, about that night--" Monica continued.

"It was a long time ago--"

"Not for me, though. And there's something you should know. Well... you see..."

Monica breaks the news

"It appears that our little adventure was not entirely unproductive!"

That's one of my favorite screen shots. I just love the look on Monica's face!

Last edited by Greg on Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:32 am
Ta Da!

edit: I only changed her the slightest bit. I love her lipstick, it's the best Maxis lipstick. I just added some eyelashes I like and this beautiful makeup I found at SimderZ.

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:38 am
Wow! It's amazing how different She looks with just a change in makeup! The heavy eyeliner makes Her already huge eyes seem even bigger!

I tried importing Her into a shiny new neighborhood and my game She did come through with her own skin tone and with Bast's Bikini for her swimsuit. For Her undies and pajamas She's not wearin' nuttin' at all, and Her formal is a light blue Maxian dress.

That surprised me, but I'd forgotten that She changed all Her outfits when she got back from college, and I was using her to test out Bast's Bikini.

What I don't know is whether She's got that extra stuff because it's embedded in Her character file or because Her character file points to files installed elsewhere in my game.

Added: I noticed that She didn't keep the same color eyebrows. In my game, she uses a medium brown eyebrow pencil.
    "That's the trouble with being a blonde," She said. "When you take off your makeup, your face disappears!"

(That was originally a quote from one of the characters in one of my science fiction stories.)

:story: Tales of Happy Valley