Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:03 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 48: Barry Meets His Grandparents

Barry Meets Grandpa Melvin and Grandma Lois

You no longer need wonder where She gets it because baby Barry soon fulfilled his key role as a grandmother magnet.

"Goo wah loompah doo wah diddly!" Grandpa Melvin said.

Barry considers this profound statment, and thinks, 'It's times like this that I think it really would be a good idea for the United States to pull out of the United Nations.'

Grandma Lois didn't have anything more interesting to say.

Grandma Lois

'OK, so that's where I got these eyes and I can hope I inherited mom's nose, but those genes notwithstanding, I sure hope I got my IQ through the paternal line! How did these two ever manage to produce Mom?'

'Nevertheless, I think I'm developing a fetish for blondes.'

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:18 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 49: Great Grandma Hazel

Even Great Grandma Hazel--Greg's grandmother--came to see the family's prodigious progeny. She was visiting Dr. Tolad's Rejuvenation Clinic and stopped by on her way back to Happy Valley, glowing with the blush of new youth.

Great Grandma Hazel

"My, what a handsome young man!" Great Grandma Hazel said. "You will go far, Master Barry!"

'Now that's more like it! A sign of intelligent life! I'm thinking of getting into world domination as a career, grandma. What do you think? Evil Overlord or Benevolent Dictator?'

"Oh, Barry Wary Snookums! You're just the cutest little baby I've ever seen!"

'Oh well. At least now I know where I got the eyebrows.'

:story: Tales of Happy Valley
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:11 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 50: Introducing the Schuyler Family

The Schuylers

When Leona conceived their fourth child, Leon Schuyler realized that the family wasn't going to make it on the income he could earn working as a night manager at a fast-food restaurant. He had to find something better, and fast--Leona's new baby was a ticking time bomb. When that bomb went off, it would put their family budget over the brink.

There just weren't any opportunities anywhere in the state. Rising taxes had driven all the productive businesses out, leaving only retail sales, consumer services, and firms with government contracts. With all the big-government money flowing into the cities and no production to soak it up, the cost of living was climbing toward the sky.

Leon had no head for business, so trying to get better pay in the private sector was out. Leona was the business end of the family, but she valued her family higher than pursuing a career; and besides, she was pregnant again!

Leon didn't have the high-tech skills for any of the top-notch jobs in the goverment sector. All that left was things where he'd have to take a cut in pay, which wouldn't solve his problem at all.

They were having a family dinner when Leona laid the plan in his lap. "Let's move west," she said, "away from the coast. There's nothing for us here any more."

"Follow the work," he said. "It's all we can do."

"It's what I want to do," she said. "Honey, I know you love it here, but--"

"I was staying here because I thought you wanted to," he said. "I like the land, but somebody else owns it all. It's a big country, a big world. We can find pretty country everywhere. Let's find a place where there are people like us."

This was enough to alert Mona to pay attention to her parents' conversation. "We're moving?" she asked. Then she brightened. "Can we go somewhere that they have nice boys?"

Leona gave her daughter a quizzical look. "Don't they have nice boys here?"

"Too greedy-grabby," Mona said. "All the nice boys moved out with their parents. The rest of the guys are OK, some of them at least, but nobody I could fall in love with, you know. It's the me-first mentality. There's nobody... well... nobody like daddy!"

Leon beamed. "Surely no daughter hath ever paid her father such a compliment!"

"So, we go west?" Leona asked.

"West it is! But where?"

Now it was Roland's turn to chime in. "We'll find a place, daddy! Let's google for it!"

And so it was that the Schuyler family left the cool green hills of the eastern seaboard and moved west, and they came to pursue happiness in Happy Valley.

Last edited by Greg on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Re::story: Tales of Happy Valley
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:50 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 51: The Schuylers' Solution

The Schuyler Family

They arrived in Happy Valley with only $20,000 in their pockets and hope in their hearts. They couldn't afford much, but Leon was able to land a good job the same day they got to town. By the end of the first week they were ahead of their bills and could afford to add some comfortable furnishings to their home.

Leona cooked up some hamburgers for the kids while Leon was getting little Brand down for his nap.

"How was school today?" she asked. "Did you make any friends?"

Roland seemed happier than Leona had ever seen him. "I met a boy at recess," he said. "His name was Barry. I couldn't remember who anybody was but Barry kept whispering their names to me, so I got to know everybody in class really fast!"

"It sounds like Barry is a good friend," Leona said.

"I hope so. I don't know if he likes me. Everybody likes him."

"I'm sure he likes you," Leona said. "Otherwise he wouldn't be trying so hard to be helpful."

"But he's like that with everybody," Roland said. "He asked me a strange question. He asked who I like."

"Why is that a strange question?" Leona asked. "It sounds like he was just trying to get to know you better."

Roland had to think for a moment. "It's just that none of the kids back home ever asked who I like. All they cared about is who they hate!"

"Oh my! Then Barry does sound like he would be a good friend!"

Mona cut into the conversation. "It's not just Barry, mom," she said. "It's everybody. All the kids are like that. They don't spend all day dwelling on who they hate. Mostly they talk about ideas, but when they talk about people, it's always about who they admire and why."

"Well?" Leona said. "Don't make me dig it out of you..."

"Boys?"

"Of course! What do you think!"

Mona giggled. "Mom, it's what Uncle Barton would call a target-rich environment!"

Leona laughed. "So? How long 'til you bring them home to meet your parents?"

"Erm... mom," Mona whispered. "I'm not sure about bringing boys here until we can afford a house."

Just then, Leon came to the table. "Oh? Are you ashamed of our place?"

"Not at all, daddy!" Mona said. "I love it! I even have my own room! It's just that most of the people in town are so rich, and they all live in such big houses!"

Leon nodded. "I understand your concern," he said, "but think of it as a test. If a fellow is put off by our place, then he might not be someone you'd be interested in. We didn't move here to play the game of keeping up with the Joneses."

Mona thought for quite a while. Then suddenly, her eyes widened. "Well, when you put it that way, I don't think I met anybody who would care," she said. "It's just not something they seem interested in. I actually talked to some of the kids about our place, and they thought it was very clever of you, daddy! I think they were sincerely impressed!"

"Oho! So they like our little Fonzie Palace, eh?"

Mona's sweater by The Sim Republic. (Women's Casual, page 5.)
The rest, I'm not sure of.

Last edited by Greg on Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:40 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 52: Schuylers' Humble Beginnings

The Schuyler Home

Leon and Leona wanted a big yard where their kids could play, and they always dreamed of living in a big house. They couldn't afford the build the palace of their dreams when they first arrived in Happy Valley, but they could afford a big piece of dirt.

The smaller lots closer to downtown and old, established neighborhoods were nice, and certainly they would have been less expensive. But the Schuylers wanted a place where they could sink some serous roots, grow trees from twigs, and eventually build a home where they wouldn't have to uproot their children every time they mounted another rung of the economic ladder.

There was one large lot left out on Monticello Boulevard, right between the Backlace and Wilburn homes. It had a wonderful view of the mountains to the north of town and easy access to Happy Valley Road which could take them northward out of town of just a few blocks south to the shopping and entertainment district.

After some internal debate, they decided to invest their meager funds in land and build what they could afford. A smaller lot would have given them a few more luxuries, but the large lot meant that they'd never have to move.

So, with those thoughts in mind, they bought the lot at 209 West Monticello Blvd and built what they could--the garage. It was comfortable enough for now, with the kitchen at the back of the garage and their bedrooms above.

They were rapidly runing out of money and there was nothing in the bank for landscaping, but Leon surprised his wife by bringing home one lonely rose bush that could become the start of her garden. He had a fine job and was rapidly advancing in his career, and soon soon they were able to complete the brick veneer on the exterior and even have the luxury of a second bathroom in the loft. More windows brightened the house during the day and more lights, even if they were the industrial type of lighting one would expect in a garage, made for many cheerful family evenings.

Jump to Chapter 53: Hitting the Books
This link jumps past the discussion.

Last edited by Greg on Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:53 am; edited 4 times in total

Re::story: Tales of Happy Valley
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:24 pm
Quote:
"I have this theory," Greg says, "that babies are so cute because it keeps us from strangling you before you're big enough to run!"

That's true IRL too...

Rose/Miros

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:52 pm
I've had babies do what Barry did. Both in the Sims and in real life.....scary, huh?

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:53 am
Marmy wrote:
I've had babies do what Barry did. Both in the Sims and in real life.....scary, huh?

What Barry did? Would that be...
    1. Escape from his crib,
    2. Developing a fetish for blondes,
    3. Planning world domination as a way of life, or
    4. All of the above?

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:13 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 53: Hitting the Books

Della was dismayed at the rate the Bennetts were burning the midnight oil.

While the Schuylers were en route to Happy Valley, the Bennetts were busily finishing up their college degrees. Eager to get the kids back to school in town, they studied through the night. Frat parties did not interest them; the college dating scene held no allure. They were focused almost entirely on completing their coursework--he in History; She in Biology.

While he was on campus, Greg filled in as an adjunct professor where needed while She devoted her scarce spare time to the children.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:52 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 54: Barry and the Baybraces

The Bennetts were so busy getting their school work done that Della and Gloria picked up many of the tasks of caring for the children.

Gloria puts Barry to Bed

A cynic might observe that the Baybrace girls were well aware of who was paying for their housing and education while they were on campus, but behind those circumstances was a strong devotion they both felt toward the children, and especially toward baby Barry.

Nanny Penelope became quite attached to young Alexander, and he to her, but any time She was cramming for college, Gloria and Della found themselves with an odd compulsion to compete to see who could get to baby Barry first.

Many mornings, Gloria would find herself alone in their shared room; Della had already sneaked quietly downstairs to claim the privilege of bathing the baby.

Della bathes Barry

The hired cook, who really was most fond of Amanda, simply chuckled as she watched it all happen.

She worried not at all. After checking that her children were being well cared for, she immersed herself once again in such delightful tomes as History of the Bubonic Plague and Advancements in Epidemiology.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:17 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 55: Escalation of the Barry War

Eventually, though, She began to grow concerned. Della and Gloria were getting up earlier and earlier, each trying to beat the other to the baby. They got to the point where they would drop whatever they were doing and run to the baby, no matter what they were wearing or who was visiting.

Della won the Barry race this time by not even stopping to dress.

Their frantic behavior raised some small concern for the baby in Her mind, but those fears were alleviated by the incredible depth of the maternal instincts that the Baybrace girls were showing toward Her son.

Della even started to skip dressing to get there first, and then Gloria followed suit.

Gloria won this round by employing the same tactic faster.

Now, after growing up in a household with her Aunt Winona and her daughters, Sandra and Wanda, She was certainly not afflicted with prudery; and as for Barry, with sisters like them around, She had no more worries about him receiving an early course in comparative anatomy than She had had for her firstborn, Alexander.

Nevertheless, Gloria and Della were showing extremely peculiar behavior and She determined to do something about it.

Last edited by Greg on Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:55 am
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 56: Truce

She pulls rank and tells Della to give her the baby.

"Della, honey," She said, "would you bring Barry over here, please?"

Della didn't hesitate to hand the baby to Her, but She could see the reluctance in her eyes. "Are you all right?" She asked. "I'm not surprised that you'd grow attached to little Barry, but it's not good for him to have you and Gloria always frantically at his beck and call. We don't want to raise a tyrant."

Once free of Barry, Della seemed to be able collect her thoughts. "I don't understand it," she said. "Taking care of Barry is becoming an obsession. I've been pretty good with all your kids, She--"

"Indeed you have, and I love you for it!"

"--but there's something different about Barry. Even before he was born, Gloria and I talked about how this one was especially special. Remember how Gloria always wanted to talk to him and cuddle him, back when you were pregnant?"

Gloria's obsession with Barry started even before he was born.

"Darn. Sure I remember it, but I thought she just wanted an excuse to touch me!"

Della blushed. "Well, um..."

"Oh, that's all right. I liked it! But Gloria has loved all my kids. What's so different about this one?"

"Don't you feel it?" Della asked. "Like now, when he looks at me--"

Barry seems to enjoy being the topic of conversation.

"--I just want to hold him and cuddle him and play with him."

She nodded. "And talk to him. You two have become quite the chatterboxes whenever he's around."

"Yes! And talk to him! Real speech, the more grown-up the better. He gets fussy if you talk baby talk to him!"

"Well, I'll tell you what," She said. "I really do need your help to take care of him so that I can finish up my degree. I don't want to keep Alexander and Amanda out of school any longer than we need to. Why don't you and Gloria call a truce? Agree to a schedule, and then agree to stick to it!"

"OK." Della seemed petulant, but agreeable.

"Meanwhile, since my son likes to be talked to so much, I'll go have a little talk with him."

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:01 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 57: Caught Again!

She and Barry

"OK, youngster," She says. "I'm on to you! You have The Gift! And you're abusing it!"

"*gurgle* Bloooah! Maah maah!" 'Mom's a pushover. I just need to appeal to Her maternal instincts and she'll be distracted from this line of inquiry.'

"Nice try, buddy, but I'm not buyin' it."

'Uh oh. Maybe I can distract her by using my diaper. Darn. Can't go right now.'

This time, She doesn't even speak aloud. "Give it up, sonny. You're caught. Time to 'fess up!"

"Whatever could you be talking about, Mom?"

"Don't play coy, my boy! We mothers have ways of being quite persuasive, you know. For instance--"

Last edited by Greg on Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:16 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 58: Maternal Mayhem

She persuades Barry to come clean

'Aaarggghh! Tummy bubbles! Not tummy bubbles! Wahahahaha! All right, Mom! I give! I give!'

"Ah, that's better," She says. "I can understand you now."

'You can hear what I'm thinking?'

"Yep."

'Ohhhh... I'm in trouble now!'

"More than you know, young man! You're abusing The Gift. It's not nice to influence people to do things for you against their will."

'Oh. How was I to know? I'm an infant! We infants are supposed to be totally self-obsessed!'

"And you're not supposed to develop The Gift until, and unless, you've matured and out-grown your childish self-obsession; but since you know the difference, you'll be held accountable for your behavior."

'Uh oh! What does that mean?'

"It means, my son, that either you knock it off or you'll lose The Gift right now, and forever!"

'Appealing to my self-interest, eh?'

"Yup!"

'OK, mom, I won't do that any more.'

"All right then, we're settled on that. See that you stick to your word!"

'I will! I promise!'

"Now that we're on the subject, I'm wondering how you came by The Gift so early. Something went wrong somewhere!"

'From my point of view, something went right somewhere!'

"I'll concede the point. In any case, something happened. And it's not supposed to. Why do you have it, and none of your siblings do?"

'Well, most of my brothers and sisters had different mothers--'

"That only explains half of the question about them, and none of it about Alexander and Amanda."

'Dad has it, too?'

"Latent. And don't bug him about it. He suppresses it without even knowing he has it. And it still doesn't explain why you are the only one of My children who developed The Gift in infancy."

'Or before.'

"You had it before you were born?"

'Uh huh. Birth was quite a trip, not something I'd care to repeat.'

"So that's why you took so long to be born!"

'Yeah. I knew what was coming because you were thinking about it all the time. I was scared. But after a while I couldn't stop it any more. You took over.'

"At least now I know that I'm stronger than you."

'For now.'

"Which is as it should be. I'm the mother. You're the baby. Don't forget that. So, you were doing it to Gloria even in utero, eh?"

'I didn't know it was wrong, mom!'

"Granted. But now you do."

'Yes. I do.'

"I still don't understand how you got it so early when your siblings didn't."

'What were you doing when I was conceived?'

"That's hardly a proper question to ask your mother!"

'I agree. There are some things I don't want to know, but in this case, I think it's important.'

"Oh. I see where you're headed. And you're right. I'm pretty sure we were flying over Mount Omigawud when... well, when it happened."

'In the helicopter?'

"No. I was doing the flying. Your father was just along for the ride."

'So to speak.'

"BARRY!"

'Oops. Sorry. I'm still learning to filter my thoughts.'

"But the point is, yes, I was in Hero Mode at the time."

'And for three hours after that, too.'

"Yeah. We wanted to watch the sunrise."

'I don't remember it, but you do. Pretty colors. Fluffy clouds.'

"Sorry. I was visualizing. I guess I need to filter my thoughts better, too."

'Aw, mom! Let me look! There's so much to learn--'

"You have plenty of time to learn, young man. You're not even potty-trained yet!"

'What's a potty?'

"You'll find out soon enough!"

'Aw, mom!'

Last edited by Greg on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:00 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 59: Barry's Resolve

You think YOUR childhood was tough?
Imagine having a mother who can read your mind!

'Well, so much for my career as an Evil Overlord! I wouldn't have liked it anyhow. Superheroes might not have as much fun as evil overlords, but they last a lot longer!

'I suppose this means I'd better lay off of Uncle Giles and Aunt Frieda, too, but at least I got him here before Mom caught on to me!

'But darn, now I'll have to get people to feed me and change my diaper the hard way! Back to lying on my back and screaming my lungs out! I suppose I'll have to learn to talk, too. Dad will insist on it. And mom seems to be adamant about this potty training thing, whatever that is!

'There's one bright hope, though! I wonder if I can get out of learning how to stomp about on these spatulate appendages? There is one thing that mom didn't say anything about..."