Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Tales of Happy Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:35 pm
Quote:
I think I'm going to work on clothing for college students, especially the guys. The outfits for college girls tend to vary between slutty and how-much-do-you-charge-for-an-hour, but the guys' clothing is pretty much universally slob. Without custom clothing, it is impossible to create a male college student who dresses like the guys I knew in college or even the students I taught at UNLV. (And I can only wish that real-world co-eds dressed like that!)

You should check out the clothes I did for Young Adult Males, Greg. There might be something there you like....

http://www.simplysimilicious.com/Sims2/Skins/S2YAMSkins.html

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:31 pm
What a novel idea! I could look at the stuff on my own server! Grin

Yes! Now these guys look more like the guys I went to school with, although I don't remember anybody walking around with his shirt tails hanging out.

I think the most common outfit worn by guys on campus, both when I was at school and at the UNLV, was an Oxford shirt and blue jeans; sometimes slacks; never tennis shoes; often with a sweater or jacket, or sometimes a sports coat. Always a T-shirt under under the real shirt; never a T-shirt by itself.

I don't recall ever seeing a guy who wore a sweater without a shirt under it unless it was a turtleneck.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:39 am
Greg wrote:

I know, Liss, but this one isn't done yet and I want to play-test it before I convert for downloading.

hahahha!

I'm curious as to how you are going to manage getting them back in college. Move them to campus and turn them into young adults? Does that actually work?

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:42 am
Greg wrote:
What a novel idea! I could look at the stuff on my own server! Grin

Yes! Now these guys look more like the guys I went to school with, although I don't remember anybody walking around with his shirt tails hanging out.

I think the most common outfit worn by guys on campus, both when I was at school and at the UNLV, was an Oxford shirt and blue jeans; sometimes slacks; never tennis shoes; often with a sweater or jacket, or sometimes a sports coat. Always a T-shirt under under the real shirt; never a T-shirt by itself.

I don't recall ever seeing a guy who wore a sweater without a shirt under it unless it was a turtleneck.

oh man, that shows the difference of when you went to college and i did LOL!!!

I really wish there were more neat *t-shirts* in the game.

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:11 pm
Liss wrote:
I'm curious as to how you are going to manage getting them back in college. Move them to campus and turn them into young adults? Does that actually work?

Exactly that. For innocent bystanders, here's the trick:
    1. boolprop testingcheatsenabled true
    2. Shift-click on the sim
    3. Choose "Set Age Young Adult" from the menu

You can do this before or after moving them to college. In this story, the key role of Gloria and Della Baybrace was to provide an anchor who would invite the Bennetts to join their household on campus. Giles and Frieda, back in Happy Valley, are the anchor point at the other end, providing continuity to the household at Manse Orleans--maintaining the decorations as they were and keeping the family photo album.

I did a test run before I committed the Bennetts to this since I didn't want to screw up my main viewpoint characters. The sims retain all their family relationships and behave normally. The only changes I've found so far are that they're suddenly younger, they can go to college, and they can't wear adult clothing.

Oh, and they can't get good jobs, either. And there's one other thing that's about to come out in the story.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:34 pm
cool i'll have to try this. I have some characters that I would like to go back to college Grin

Wytch's Brew
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:00 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Aside: Baby Barry and the Flower Bed

Barry

This really doesn't have anything to do with the story, but I thought it was cute. I was using the Testing Cheats to check up on baby Barry.*

Fully loaded up with attention and food, he was just hanging out in his crib, groovin' to the music, y'know. His mom was on her way into the house after class with Barry-cuddling thoughts dancing in her head. Then suddenly he decided that he wanted to buy a shrub and flower bed!

So, I figured, what the heck? I bought a rose bush and some nice daisies. (I chose daisies because they match the color of his diaper. Like Aldo Cella, Barry is not a slave to fashion.) He logged the satisfaction of the wants--the wheels didn't spin; the icons just faded away--and now he's back to thinking like an infant again!

*Shift-click on the infant and choose "Make Selectable". The infant disappears from the family icons. Repeat this, and he's back. Now you can click on his icon to select him and see how he's doing.

Last edited by Greg on Sat May 21, 2005 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:48 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 35: Maintaining the Family Ties

She wanted to make sure they didn't shirk their family responsibilities, so before they got serious about college, She and Greg took some time to visit his progenitors and progeny in and around Happy Valley. They flew their helicopter all over the valley, dropping in to visit parents, grandparents, siblings, and children.

Bennett Family Tree as of GD 77

By the time the Bennetts landed at Manse Collegium, Greg had ten children on the census. Fortunately, many of members of the extended family were already on campus. The three oldest--Sandra, Wanda, and Brenda--were already sharing a house only a block way from Manse Collegium.

At the other end, the two youngest save Barry, the twins Arlene and Arthur Thayer, were living with their mother Meadow just down the block from the girls. These were another baby bomb that had been patiently waiting since his scandalous days as a teenager. Three days after Meadow went to college, she surprised everyone* by popping out the twins, with no doubt as to their parentage.

When they visited Greg's maternal grandparents, they found that the elders envied their ability to go to college. That was no problem at all! A visit to the Dr. Tolad's rejuvenation clinic restored the elders to a youth they had not known since the Roaring Twenties and off they went to the registrar's office!

*Including your humble author!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:18 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 36: Private Quarters at Manse Collegium

"What's with these mirrors?" Greg quipped. "Is this a bedroom or a brothel?"

"Maybe I got a little carried away," She said. "I think it's because of the rejuvenation clinic. When I got to planning the bedroom, the hormones started running and I just couldn't stop myself!"

"You, too?" he said. "Thank goodness! I thought it was just me!"

Greg and She in the Master Bedroom at Manse Collegium

"Oh my! Rejuve is good! Rejuve is very, very good! But wait! I want to show you something!"

"Wha-- I can see everything I want right here!"

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:29 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 37: The Master Bath at Manse Collegium

"But wait! There's more!" She said. "You haven't seen the bathroom yet!"

"Hey, you've seen one bathroom, you've seen--"

"Not yet, you haven't!"

"Hey, there are more mirrors in here! And a swimming pool!"

"So, get in! I'll be right there!"

The Master Bath

"Oh! Rejuve is very good!"

"Woo HOO!"

(Pan to the candles.)

Last edited by Greg on Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:37 pm
Liss wrote:
cool i'll have to try this. I have some characters that I would like to go back to college Grin

Me Too! =D

Thanks for the tip Greg! (I was wondering how you were going to manage doing this . . . =)

Can't get good jobs? Do you mean, if we take a sim back to college via the method described above, after they receive a degree they aren't eligible for the "good" jobs? (just curious)

Regards,

~*~ Carrot ~*~
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:52 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 39: Transportation Strike

She was not happy. "It's 8:30, and the school bus still hasn't show up!"

"We could send 'em in the chopper," Greg said.

"Think of how the other kids at school would react to that!" She said. "Kids are merciless! They'll be envious of the helicopter, and they'll tease our kids about it relentlessly."

"I really don't want to have to get clearance to land the chopper near the school anyhow," Greg said. "I suppose for the same reasons, the limo is out--"

"Yup!"

"So, that leaves only one choice--"

"Home schooling!"

"Indeed!"

"OK, let's do it! Amanda! C'mon down! No school today, but that doesn't get you out of your history lesson!"

Home Schooling for Amanda

"So, where are we? Musical instruments through history. Hey, this is neat stuff!"

"Um, daddy?"

"Oh right! I'm supposed to be making some noise here."

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:57 pm
I love that hot tub screenshot!! :winky:

nanci2121
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:36 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 40: Honey, We Have a Problem

On the Balcony at Manse Collegium

"Honey, we have a problem," She said. "The kids miss their friends at school, and I'm worried about how well they'll do with nobody to grow up with but college kids."

"Yeah, I've been thinking about that, too," he said.

"I know how important a college degree is to you, but--"

"You, too."

"Yeah, I'll admit it. I'm really stuck, having to decide between college and family."

"Hmm... do you think the kids could hold on for just a little while longer?"

"Oh, they're fine! They love it here, and they love having you be their teacher. But they don't know what they're missing, and one day, they will really miss it. They still get to see their friends after school. For that, we can use the limo."

"For that, let 'em use the chopper, too. They can give rides to their friends."

"But it still doesn't solve the problem--"

"No, but fast-tracking our college degrees will. Tell me, is the school work challenging for you?"

"Aw, c'mon. I've been Captain Hero! Knocking down this degree in biology is really kinda slow--"

"So, take the proficiency exams and ace the coursework. Get it out of the way. Write your term papers, and you'll be done in no time! You'll learn as much as you would sitting around bored for four years, and get the sheepskin."

"Will the school let us do that? I mean--"

He just looked at her.

"Oh, right," She said. "When they think about who pays their salaries, they will."

"No question of it. It's about time this college offer fast-track opportunities to all the students, so that the degree really means what it says. The kids who need the full four years to grok the subjects and develop their maturity can still do that, but for us old fogeys--"

She interrupted him with a lascivious grin. "I'm not feeling so old right now!"

"Me neither! Race you to the hot tub?"

"You're on!"

"Rejuve is good!"

"Very, very good!"

Last edited by Greg on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:55 am; edited 3 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:43 pm
Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 41: Barry's Dilemma

Barry Ponders the Dilemma of the Dirty Diaper

'Hrmph,' Barry thinks, in his own private baby language. 'First they inflict upon me the indignity of putting me in a pink crib, and now they leave me with a dirty diaper!'

'Everybody seems to be off studying, and they think I'm just lying here sleeping. What can I do about it? If I were lying on the floor screaming my lungs out, somebody would do something about this diaper!'

'Well, what's the point of being an incredibly precocious baby if I don't take the risk, eh?'

Last edited by Greg on Thu May 19, 2005 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

:story: Tales of Happy Valley